X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raptor
    • Jan 2009

Kevin Steele, Clemson DC

Could this be the guy we are waiting for?

Rumors of him going to be the Tennessee Vols DC but as soon as Chan Gailey was hired he backed out for some reason, coincidence?

He has run both a 3-4 and a 4-3

Kevin Steele, most recently the associate head coach and head coach of the defense at the University of Alabama, was named Clemson defensive coordinator in January 2009. Steele has 23 years of college experience at the FBS level and four years of experience in the NFL. He has coached under former National Championship Head Coaches Tom Osborne, Nick Saban, Bobby Bowden and Johnny Majors in his career as a full time assistant coach that dates to 1982.

The native of Dillon, SC has coached in 16 bowl games, including eight appearances in bowls that are now considered Bowl Championship level games. That includes six appearances as a coach in the FedEx Orange Bowl. He has been a part of 11 teams that have finished in the top 20 of the national polls at five different schools. That includes the 2008 Alabama team that was fourth in the final regular season polls.

He has also been an assistant coach on six different teams at four different programs that have finished in the top 10 in the nation in scoring defense.

Steele spent the last two seasons at the University of Alabama under Nick Saban. He was the defensive coordinator in 2007 before assuming the title of Associate Head Coach and Head Coach of the Defense for the 2008 season. Alabama finished the regular season with a 12-0 record and won the Western Division Championship of the Southeastern Conference.

Alabama ranked third in the nation in total defense (256.9), fourth in rushing defense (78.85), sixth in scoring defense (13.0) and 13th in pass efficiency defense (101.63 rating points) at the end of the regular season. The Crimson Tide led the SEC in rushing defense and total defense. Steele tutored the linebackers each of the last two years at Alabama in addition to his other defensive coordinator responsibilities.

Steele spent four seasons as executive head coach and linebackers coach at Florida State under Bobby Bowden (2003-06), helping the Seminoles to three top 25 finishes and two ACC Championships. The Seminoles finished with a 10-3 mark his first year in Tallahassee and ranked 10th in the nation in scoring defense. In 2004, Florida State was 15th in the final AP poll and the squad was in the top 10 in rushing defense, total defense and scoring defense.

Steele has a history of recognition as an outstanding recruiter and was named the number-one recruiter in the nation by Rivals.com after landing the nation's top recruiting class in February of 2005. During his career at Florida State the players he coached included Michael Boulware, a finalist for 2004 NFL Rookie of the Year with the Seattle Seahawks, Ernie Sims, the ninth overall selection of the Detroit Lions in the 2006 NFL draft, and Lawrence Timmons, a first round pick of the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2007. Boulware and Timmons are natives of South Carolina.

Steele served as head coach at Baylor University from 1999-2002 before moving to Florida State. Steele is familiar with Clemson Memorial Stadium, as he was the linebackers coach for the Carolina Panthers of the NFL in 1995, the Panthers inaugural season when they played their home games at Clemson. He worked under Panthers Head Coach Dom Capers for four years (1995-98), including the 1996 season when the franchise had a 13-5 overall record and reached the NFC Championship game. Among the players he coached was Sam Mills, the first Panthers player in the franchise's Hall of Honor.
    Last edited by Raptor; 02-01-2010, 03:02 PM.
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: Kevin Steele, Clemson DC

That's an interesting thought. I may have missed it...does he have a link to Gailey somewhere in his career?
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Raptor
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by psubills62
      That's an interesting thought. I may have missed it...does he have a link to Gailey somewhere in his career?

Not really but he knows Capers and Gailey knows Capers. It just makes sense because he is also Clemsons head of recruiting so maybe he is doing them a favor and staying on until after Wed. Its the only possible reason I can think of why the whole staff has been named but DC

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by psubills62
        No links in terms of coaching together but he faced him in conference. Also Steele worked with Dom Capers who worked with Gailey in Pitt. So there's a slight connection.

Comment

• wmoz11
          • Sep 2008

Steele spent the last two seasons at the University of Alabama under Nick Saban. He was the defensive coordinator in 2007 before assuming the title of Associate Head Coach and Head Coach of the Defense for the 2008 season.
          Well, if true, there's one guy in the war room who will be suggesting McClain.

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

I would absolutely love this move!
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

I've been reading about Steele a lot too. He sounds like he would be a very good choice for the Bills if they go the college route.

Comment

• madness
                • Apr 2003

He sure fits the profile. He's over 50 and from the South.

All kidding aside, I'm right with DB. I would absolutely love this move. He's another coach that fits in Gailey's mold of great teachers but has been known to "put some fear into his players". He's also considered one of the hottest college coordinators in line for a HC job.

A Missing Element
                I have read about how good Cosgrove is at innovation with scheme. And, I'm always hearing about how much this group of players likes and respects him.That is both reassuring and concerning. I honestly would like to hear players say they have a healthy amount of fear for the head defensive man. Players genuinely feared Charlie McBride at times. Bo Pelini evoked fear from some players. So did Kevin Steele when he coached linebackers at NU in the 1990s. I don't see anybody on this defensive staff who makes kids feel like they want to run through a wall - and an opponent - just because their coach said to do so. And, that's the problem. Right now, I'd say that NU's defense needs to simplify and intensify what they are doing.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Makes sense from a timing standpoint. I'd actually like to have somebody with a little more NFL experience, personally, but if you're going to go the college route he looks like a winner. His recruiting skills certainly won't hinder our FA chances in the future, either.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

That makes some sense. He has a whole lot more college experience than NFL experience, and that's a bit of a read flag IMO, but then I'm not doing the picking. BTW, great recruiting skills don't count for much in the NFL.
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                    X