X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZAZusmc03
    • Jan 2010

Trading Down

I know, every year in the offseason several fans wish we would trade down for more draft picks, in order to build a solid foundation, much like the Patriots have done with their several draft picks. The reason I started this thread is to ask a question...With Buddy Nix as GM, is this season more likely than the previous to make trades for draft picks, with Nix believing he can build a solid team faster through the draft? I know he is known for his drafting talent, so it seems to me that it would be a lot more likely to see us trading down or trading players for picks. What do you guys think?
  • kelly2reed4six
    • Dec 2008

Re: Trading Down

I would be all for it, however I have ZERO confidence that Nix and our scouts could use the extra picks wisely.

Comment

• Don't Panic
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Dec 2005

I think it's a good thought... whereas our old regimes would just take who they wanted where they were picking (see: Whitner, Donte) or trade up to reach on a guy (see:McCargo, John; Losman, JP), Nix may be willing to trade down if he doesn't like who he sees.

Comment

I think that rather than trade down, we might see some players who don't fit any new defensive alignment being planned or new offensive approach being considered getting trade.

The failure to get a CBA in place will mean there are slim pickings in Free Agency.

Therefore the prospect of getting someone like Donte Whitner for a 3rd (he'd be in his final year under contract) K Williams who may not fit a 3-4 or even a 4-3 calling for bigger DTs for a 4th and maybe Lynch for a low 3rd or high 4th may occur.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

Originally posted by jae1986
          I would be all for it, however I have ZERO confidence that Nix and our scouts could use the extra picks wisely.
          Why? What is there in Nix's almost 50 years of coaching, scouting, and pro personnel/ college scouting/assistant GM front office duties that leads you to have ZERO confidence?
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• X-Era
            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
            • Feb 2005

Hey, I moved this into the Scouting Zone

Comment

• ZAZusmc03
              • Jan 2010

anyone else have any insight on this? I'd like to hear more opinions on the matter. Thanks!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

I think its a bad idea, we really need to land a franchise player and for the first time in a few drafts we have a clear chance to do that. Whether that's a franchise QB, LT or MLB remains to be seen but at least somebody will get taken who will gives the Bills some identity nationally as well as regionally. Right now you look at our team and you say our marquee player is................Brian Moorman?

I dont want to trade down but if a sweet deal comes along, Im not sure I could pass on it either.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ZAZusmc03
                  I know, every year in the offseason several fans wish we would trade down for more draft picks, in order to build a solid foundation, much like the Patriots have done with their several draft picks. The reason I started this thread is to ask a question...With Buddy Nix as GM, is this season more likely than the previous to make trades for draft picks, with Nix believing he can build a solid team faster through the draft? I know he is known for his drafting talent, so it seems to me that it would be a lot more likely to see us trading down or trading players for picks. What do you guys think?
                  Weve picked twice in the 1st round, 5 out of the last 6 years I believe and most of that was by trades.

Considering Nix's comment on building through the draft, Id say we are more likely than most to make trades... but that's just an opinion.

Comment

• JCBills
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by jae1986
                    Ignoring Nix's scouting track record?

Comment

• JCBills
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                      I think its a bad idea, we really need to land a franchise player and for the first time in a few drafts we have a clear chance to do that. Whether that's a franchise QB, LT or MLB remains to be seen but at least somebody will get taken who will gives the Bills some identity nationally as well as regionally. Right now you look at our team and you say our marquee player is................Brian Moorman?

I dont want to trade down but if a sweet deal comes along, Im not sure I could pass on it either.
                      Picking in the top 10 doesn't guarantee a franchise player.

Moving back usually lands an extra 2nd or 3rd, especially considering the value of the #9 pick. Yeah we have big needs, but we have a lot of them, so multiple picks in the first 3 rounds is likely considering what Nix has said about building a team.

I won't be shocked when we start moving players for picks either.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                        Dances With Buffaloes
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ZAZusmc03

interesting thought however... something else to consider.

we should investigate the possibility of trading up into 3rd with Tampa, and snatching Bradford. The more i look at the draft, the more i'm convinced he's not only the best QB in it, but he'll probably be good enough to justify the trade up. Worse, i don't think he gets past Washington (no.4) in April.

Hell he might not get past no.1 (St.L) as it will be hard to sell to St.L fans a 4th DL player in round 1 in 5 years; i don't care how good Suh is, tying up 200 million (total) and 40+ mil (annual) in your d-line is just crazy, especially since they have holes everywhere in their lineup; you just can't put 1/3rd of your cap in one position.
                        Last edited by Ingtar33; 02-05-2010, 03:59 AM.
                        My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Ingtar33
                          interesting thought however... something else to consider.

we should investigate the possibility of trading up into 3rd with Tampa, and snatching Bradford. The more i look at the draft, the more i'm convinced he's not only the best QB in it, but he'll probably be good enough to justify the trade up. Worse, i don't think he gets past Washington (no.4) in April.

Hell he might not get past no.1 (St.L) as it will be hard to sell to St.L fans a 4th DL player in round 1 in 5 years; i don't care how good Suh is, tying up 200 million (total) and 40+ mil (annual) in your d-line is just crazy, especially since they have holes everywhere in their lineup; you just can't put 1/3rd of your cap in one position.
                          I haven't gone there until now. But, I can see this as a real scenario. Gailey will want his guy and he will want him as soon as possible. To me, Bradford is the most sure thing in this draft at QB. And, his injury may have some balk in the first few picks. Add in that I don't think it likely he will slide by some of the teams ahead of us... Theres enough reasoning to move up that I could see that happen.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

I'd rather trade completely out of the first round then take a QB at #9 this year.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
                              I'd rather trade completely out of the first round then take a QB at #9 this year.
                              I can completely understand that take.

Note that I never said thats the only thing I think we should do. Just that I could see us doing it. I could come around to moving up, or down, or staying. I think it should be based on what the best move is based on what we need and where the value lies in each round.

Comment

Working...
                              X