PDA

View Full Version : Vick to Buffalo… Could it work?

patmoran2006
02-02-2010, 08:53 AM
If you believe Len Pasquarelli of ESPN, there’s a prevailing chance the Buffalo Bills will be trading for Michael Vick sometime before the NFL draft commences in April. Pasquarelli cited a team source saying head coach Chan Gailey is giving serious consideration to Vick and notes it would only cost the team a later round conditional draft pick. Credibility to the rumor was fueled yesterday when the Philadelphia Daily News reported the team told Vick he’d be traded before the draft.

Appearing on the Dan Patrick radio show Monday, Vick said he believes in his heart if given the chance to start he can return to the level of prominence he achieved before his life was turned upside down by legal troubles.

“Top 10, to be honest, I’m confident in my skills.” Vick told Patrick when asked where he ranks himself among quarterbacks. “I know I can play in this league. I know I have a lot of games left in me.”

So is Vick to Buffalo a realistic possibility?

FULL STORY (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2010/02/vick-to-buffalo-could-it-work/)

SABURZFAN
02-02-2010, 08:56 AM
can Vick complete half of his passes?

kernowboy
02-02-2010, 09:04 AM
It would be a disgraceful decision - Gailey's leadership of this team would be over before it began if he made such a disgusting move

kelly2reed4six
02-02-2010, 09:04 AM
I really hope this doesn't happen! If it does the Bills franchise is just signing a check for several more years of mediocrity.

Philagape
02-02-2010, 09:13 AM
He'll turn 30 in June.

Every year is one more year he'll have less of his freakish athleticism, the only thing that made him a successful player.

Don't Panic
02-02-2010, 09:19 AM
I know if it happened it would be because Gailey thinks he can make it work, but it reeks of a PR move. I really hope we build this team the right way this time.

Jan Reimers
02-02-2010, 09:32 AM
I know if it happened it would be because Gailey thinks he can make it work, but it reeks of a PR move. I really hope we build this team the right way this time.
Except as a PR move there may be as many or more fans against it as for it.

Many of us think he was an average QB to begin with. He had an inaccurate arm and an inability to read defenses, but could make up for those problems with his running ability. At 30, he would come to the Bills with the same shortcomings, but not the young legs.

His meager QB skills, coupled with a tractor-trailer full of baggage, will not endear him to a large number of Bills' fans.

tampabay25690
02-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Make sense for him to come to Buffalo.....
Late round pick for him all day...

Then we can focus on a QB later in the draft and grab our OT in the 1st round...
We big a nice step in the right direction...

tampabay25690
02-02-2010, 09:37 AM

Many of us think he was an average QB to begin with. He had an inaccurate arm and an inability to read defenses, but could make up for those problems with his running ability. At 30, he would come to the Bills with the same shortcomings, but not the young legs.

His meager QB skills, coupled with a tractor-trailer full of baggage, will not endear him to a large number of Bills' fans.

The fans that know the NFL are all in for VICK if it happens he was always better then just average....

Yes he can be inaccurate at times but also great at times.
When was the last time we could say in Buffalo that our QB was good or at least exciting to watch........

Jan Reimers
02-02-2010, 09:41 AM
The fans that know the NFL are all in for VICK if it happens he was always better then just average....

When was the last time we could say in Buffalo that our QB was good or at least exciting to watch........
There are many knowledgable fans on here who don't want Vick, and not just because of his putrid behavior.

Please don't consider your opinion as representative of all knowledgable fans.

Dicknoze69
02-02-2010, 09:44 AM
It would be a disgraceful decision - Gailey's leadership of this team would be over before it began if he made such a disgusting move

Keep in mind that the vast majority of NFL players love Vick. I don't think Gailey's leadership would be affected except from a fan's view.

Jan Reimers
02-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Keep in mind that the vast majority of NFL players love Vick.
I'm not trying to be contrary, but how do we know these kind of things?

I see so many sweeping generalizations, opinions with no supporting rationale presented as facts, and conflicting views on here, that I'm simply confused as to the source of some of the comments.

Throne Logic
02-02-2010, 10:04 AM

Don't throw insults at those of us who don't share your opinions.

I "know the NFL" and I do not believe that Vick would be a good fit in Buffalo. Nor do I want to see any QB that cannot operate consistently between the tackles.

Look at the successful playoff teams over the last decade. How many of those teams had QBs that frequently gave up on the pass and scrambled with the ball? Manning, Brees, Rivers, Favre are your four Conference Championship game QBs this year.

Players like Vick and Young can be exciting, yes. But they will disappoint you just as many times as excite you. Ultimately, they will leave you wondering why we either miss the playoffs or exit in the opening round. This is the mediocrity that Jan was referring to.

I want stability to build upon. Exciting chaos that ultimately leads to a disappointing end will only spark fan enthusiasm for a short time before everyone realizes it's just a different brand of mediocrity.

Throne Logic
02-02-2010, 10:07 AM

I see so many sweeping generalizations, opinions with no supporting rationale presented as facts, and conflicting views on here, that I'm simply confused as to the source of some of the comments.

I'm with you, Jan. I've never gotten the sense that the NFL players, as a whole, either like or dislike Vick. From the general lack of comments, I have gotten the impression that many of them would prefer to simply distance themselves from the distractions associated with Vick.

Mahdi
02-02-2010, 10:19 AM
FULL STORY (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2010/02/vick-to-buffalo-could-it-work/)
Vick would bring an element to the offense that we don't currently have. Confidence, talent, playmaking.

Vick is not a high completion percentage guy and will never be a Manning or a Brees but he brings his own thing and it can be just as effective when it comes to winning games.

The presence of Vick alone will open things up for Fred and Marshawn in a huge way.

Jeff1220
02-02-2010, 10:24 AM

Well, for one, his teammates on the Eagles voted him as their Ed Block Courage Award winner (and not w/o controversy, of course). I don't know how much faith I have in his skills as a QB now, but I am in the camp that thinks that the guy has done his time and is trying to piece himself back together the right way, and appears like he has learned and changed.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4767825

"There's always consequences behind certain things and repercussions behind them, too. And then you have to wake up every day and face the world, whether they perceive you in the right perspective, it's a totally different outlook on you. You have to be strong, believe in yourself, be optimistic. That's what I've been able to do. That's what I display."

The Eagles were criticized by animal rights activists for signing Vick less than a month after he was released from prison. Dozens of protesters voiced their outrage outside the team's practice facility the day after Vick was signed, and many fans threatened to give up their tickets.

But Vick got a warm reception in his first game with the Eagles and by most accounts has been a model citizen off the field.
Vick has spent time working with the Humane Society of the United States, speaking to school and community groups about the mistakes he made in getting involved in dogfighting.

"It was a big obstacle proving I'm worthy of a second chance," Vick said. "It doesn't stop here. I have to continue to prove that. I think it's not going to be a day-to-day process, it's going to be a year-in, year-out process. It's a challenge to myself. The thing I told Roger is that four or five years from now, I'm going to come to him and say, 'Everything I told you I was going to do, I'm still doing it.' And that's what I pride myself on and that's my focus and that's my goal."

Quarterback Donovan McNabb called the award "well-deserved."

"Congratulations to him for straightening his life around and bettering himself as a human being," coach Andy Reid said. "He's obviously very well-respected by his teammates."

justasportsfan
02-02-2010, 10:25 AM

drama is still a PR move. Drama brings bad attention but it's still attention . It would bring more attention to the bills than the Chan Gailey hiring itself.

EDS
02-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Vick would bring an element to the offense that we don't currently have. Confidence, talent, playmaking.

Vick is not a high completion percentage guy and will never be a Manning or a Brees but he brings his own thing and it can be just as effective when it comes to winning games.

The presence of Vick alone will open things up for Fred and Marshawn in a huge way.

Let's be honest, at his best Vick was NOT as effective as Manning and Brees.

justasportsfan
02-02-2010, 10:27 AM
but it won't open things up for our wrs. I doubt wr's like Vick as the qb.

The best teams right now are teams that can pass the ball well.

Throne Logic
02-02-2010, 10:29 AM

Are you happy with a few more wins during the season that still results in either missing the playoffs or exiting round one year after year?

If you are, then you and I have different goals and expectations for this team.

Dicknoze69
02-02-2010, 10:31 AM

You're forgetting the general outpouring of support for Vick from players over twitter and other media sources, some of which I linked below. Additionally, watching his teammates interact with him in Atlanta and Philly suggested that most of them genuinely liked him. Maybe it's a generalization to a degree, but there's no possible way to know every NFL players stance on him. Regardless, if Vick gives your team a better chance to win, the vast majority of NFL players will like or at least tolerate him, which would not undermine Gailey's leadership as was argued.

http://mashable.com/2009/08/13/vick-signs-with-eagles/

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Eagles-players-honor-Michael-Vick-with-award-for?urn=nfl,210601

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/07/27/deion-sanders-dan-reeves-say-michael-vick-is-ready-to-play/

Mahdi
02-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Are you happy with a few more wins during the season that still results in either missing the playoffs or exiting round one year after year?

If you are, then you and I have different goals and expectations for this team.
Vick was in an NFC championship game first of all.

Second, Vick is an immediate solution to getting the team back on the winning track. I also think that with a good offensive game plan and Vick being more mature he can be a better passer.

justasportsfan
02-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Vick was in an NFC championship game first of all. .
that was years ago. That didn't help him beat Kolb for the no.2 job did it?

I also think that with a good offensive game plan and Vick being more mature he can be a better passer.
the same can be said about Fitz and Brohm.

DesertFox24
02-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Good article Pat and I like the Owens might return if Vick is his QB part.

The thing that gets me is who would be the QB we let go?

Mahdi
02-02-2010, 10:43 AM

Fitz and Brohm don't have Vick's running ability. Vick can be a dual threat which makes him valuable. Especially when the weather turns bad and running the ball is the only way to move the chains.

Jan Reimers
02-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Thanks to Jeff1220 and Dicknoze69 for their professional responses to my question.

justasportsfan
02-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Fitz and Brohm don't have Vick's running ability. Vick can be a dual threat which makes him valuable. Especially when the weather turns bad and running the ball is the only way to move the chains.

Brees and Manning don't have Vicks running ability? So what?

Kolb doens't have Vicks running ability either and Vick couldn't beat him either.

THATHURMANATOR
02-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Make sense for him to come to Buffalo.....
Late round pick for him all day...

Then we can focus on a QB later in the draft and grab our OT in the 1st round...
We big a nice step in the right direction...
Exactly.

THATHURMANATOR
02-02-2010, 10:49 AM
The thing that gets me is who would be the QB we let go?
Who Cares?

Edwards though if I had to choose.

DesertFox24
02-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Who Cares?

Edwards though if I had to choose.

Not sure I would get ride of Edwards I think he just needs some confidence and getting away from Jauron might be good for him.

Hopefully George Cortez can get him Brohm and whomever to be good.

My vote is Fitz is the one that loses but I think all four Vick/other plus Edwards, Brohm, and Fitz will battle it out for the three spots.

Throne Logic
02-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Exactly.

You cannot build a solid and consistent offense around Vick. As soon as he gets injured, everything changes.

We've been watching our sub-par OL for so long, I think many fans believe we need to find ways to win despite the poor OL. I am willing to wait a bit longer if it means the OL will finally be addressed. I also believe that a QB who plays like Vick will hinder the development of our young OL.

I would find it extremely ironic if the Bills finally field a solid OL, then line up a QB that refuses to stand in the pocket and throw the ball.

Mahdi
02-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Brees and Manning don't have Vicks running ability? So what?

Kolb doens't have Vicks running ability either and Vick couldn't beat him either.
Pretty sure we dont have a shot at Manning, Brees or Kolb.

Don't complicate the matter, were talking about a team that doesn't have a QB currently.

If Vick was on the roster he would be the best QB we have and the one with the most talent who has proven he can win in the NFL.

Mahdi
02-02-2010, 11:07 AM
You cannot build a solid and consistent offense around Vick. As soon as he gets injured, everything changes.

We've been watching our sub-par OL for so long, I think many fans believe we need to find ways to win despite the poor OL. I am willing to wait a bit longer if it means the OL will finally be addressed. I also believe that a QB who plays like Vick will hinder the development of our young OL.

I would find it extremely ironic if the Bills finally field a solid OL, then line up a QB that refuses to stand in the pocket and throw the ball.
Don't agree. The reason Schaub was traded for high picks to Houston was because he did well in Vick's absence with the same OL and WRs.

ChanGailey
02-02-2010, 11:09 AM
This should help ya'll

I, Chan Gailey, ain't interested in no dog killer.

kernowboy
02-02-2010, 11:10 AM
I would take David Carr over Vick every day of the week ending in a Y

At least it would give Cortez some raw material to work with rather than sign the scum known as Vick and bring shame to this once proud franchise.

justasportsfan
02-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Don't complicate the matter, were talking about a team that doesn't have a QB currently. .

I'll take Garcia. He's available.

If Vick was on the roster he would be the best QB we have and the one with the most talent who has proven he can win in the NFL.

and you're basing this on what he did with Atlanta? He didn't show me anything LAST YEAR.

2Smooth
02-02-2010, 11:33 AM

At least it would give Cortez some raw material to work with rather than sign the scum known as Vick and bring shame to this once proud franchise.

David Carr? Let's be serious how does a guy that has been in the league almost 10 years still considered to have some raw material? David Carr has never won more than 7 games in a season as a starter in the NFL. I personally think Vick has more talent than any QB we currently have on the roster. I dont see how getting him for a late round draft pick is a bad thing.

Mahdi
02-02-2010, 11:55 AM

and you're basing this on what he did with Atlanta? He didn't show me anything LAST YEAR.
Yeah as if he had 300 attempts.

The guy had like 15-20 passing attempts.

EDIT: he had 13 attempts. Ya that really means anything.

Northern Stampede
02-02-2010, 11:57 AM
If they sign Vick, I still think they'll draft a QB... Vick will be brought in to just simply try and stop the bleeding for a year, while a rookie learns the system... I'm ok if they bring him in for something like that. But not for a long term fix....

Aliceinchainsbills15
02-02-2010, 02:18 PM
NO!

jamze132
02-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Every Bills fan in the world would be cheering if he scampered 30 yards for a TD on a broken play. Don't even try to deny it. You can disagree with his personal life all you want but the guy has a knack in the pocket as to when to get the **** out and run. Of course with our O-line, a QB like that could be invaluable.

trapezeus
02-02-2010, 03:28 PM
well, from PAt's article, if jim kelly is against it, that pretty much pegs the likilhood of it happening at 99% that they do the exact opposite of what he wants.

Vick will be here only because the team seems to love spitting at kelly's recommendations.

tampabay25690
02-02-2010, 03:49 PM

COME on do you know football..
Vick wasn't brought in to PHILI to be the #2 at all....

PHILI was smart they brought him in and now NFL teams are interested in him................COME ON...

Vick could be a starter on at least 10 teams in the league....
QB play in the NFL SUCKS after your top tier..

tampabay25690
02-02-2010, 03:51 PM

Garcia is getting younger too...

tampabay25690
02-02-2010, 03:52 PM

WOW....
David Carr would be on his ass more then a hooker on Genesee...
If you honestly think David Carr is better then Michael VICK, I have no other comment what you write.....WOW....

jimbohastle51
02-02-2010, 05:47 PM

funny thing is for the selling tickets reason alone i think they will do it. they could always offer vick a 2 year deal for his full 5 million just broke down like 2 years 2 million per with 1 million up front and guarantee him the starting job. something like that he might like because he gets to start and really we are the only team that implements a style he would thrive in with totally open QB spot open. i hate to say this but i think it gets done. its obvious he is a gailey guy and even if you can get tavaris jackson for the same pick you can get vick for jackson doesnt sell tickets, if anything you loose more with him and he hasnt even proven he can start in this league. i think vick is as good as we get for the boring running offense we are going to run under gailey.

SeatownBillsFan21
02-02-2010, 06:36 PM
WOW the Vick hate on these boards is laughable...Plain and simple he would improve this team form day 1 no one on this current roster is worth a s*** at the QB position thats a fact I am all for Vick to Buffalo if he win all the haters will jump on the wagon thats a grantee.

justasportsfan
02-02-2010, 07:30 PM
COME on do you know football..
Vick wasn't brought in to PHILI to be the #2 at all....

PHILI was smart they brought him in and now NFL teams are interested in him................COME ON...

Vick could be a starter on at least 10 teams in the league....
QB play in the NFL SUCKS after your top tier..
then how come no one but philly was willing to take a risk on him if he could just come in and be a starter in 10 teams. If Philly is better with him at qb, they trade Kolb and start Vick behind mcnab. It's that simple

justasportsfan
02-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Garcia is getting younger too...
he's still better than Vick.

patmoran2006
02-02-2010, 07:33 PM
then how come no one but philly was willing to take a risk on him if he could just come in and be a starter in 10 teams. If Philly is better with him at qb, they trade Kolb and start Vick behind mcnab. It's that simple

For the same reason nobody wanted T.O. but Buffalo. He had to prove himself.

Owens proved himself last year and there will be suitors for him this time around.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Not only would vick solve our qb problem, he would solve it for 3 years giving us some time to take advantage of his 4.2 speed and also grooming a young qb during that span and when vick looses some of his speed and isnt the same we can start the young qb. getting vick would be awesome!!!!!!

ByrdsTheWord
02-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Every Bills fan in the world would be cheering if he scampered 30 yards for a TD on a broken play. Don't even try to deny it. You can disagree with his personal life all you want but the guy has a knack in the pocket as to when to get the **** out and run. Of course with our O-line, a QB like that could be invaluable.

And yet he's one of the most sacked QBs. Explain that. For one of the "most elusive" QB's how is it that he's sacked so much? End of discussion.