PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Comment from Schefter

Ed
02-02-2010, 02:06 PM
I don't know if anyone else heard this this morning, but Adam Schefter was on Mike and Mike this morning and they were asking him about Vick. He mentioned that he didn't think Vick would end up in St. Louis, but he thought Vick and Buffalo would be a good marriage saying that they could both use each other. What I found interesting though, was that Schefter was asked about how he would fit in a Gailey offense and he didn't really answer the question, but made the comment that last year Gailey was a finalist for quite a few head coaching jobs around the league because apparently there were a lot of teams that were very "enamored" with his coaching style/abilities. However, the only thing that really prevented him from landing any of those jobs was that teams felt his hiring wouldn't generate much excitement. That's not surprising at all, but I at least found it encouraging that a lot of people around the league seem to hold Gailey in very high regard and think he can be a good coach.

As for Vick, I don't see how he would create the kind of excitement Schefter was referring to considering he's viewed so negatively by so many fans as both a player and person. Personally, I'll be disgusted if we make a trade for Vick, but I liked the Gailey comments he made.

Oldbillsfan
02-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Vick wasn't that good of a passer but a good runner, to trade for him would be a double insult.

madness
02-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Vick assured he’ll be traded (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/02/02/vick-assured-hell-be-traded/)

By Chris Brown - Posted February 2nd, 2010
Eagles QB Michael Vick has been given assurances by Philadelphia head coach Andy Reid that he will be traded before the NFL Draft. That according to the Philadelphia Daily News.
Vick confirmed he has discussed his future with his agent and what the Eagles might do when he appeared on the Dan Patrick radio show Monday.
“Me and my agent spoke briefly about 2 days ago,” Vick said on Dan Patrick’s radio show. “He’s just trying to get an understanding on what we thought was the best-case scenario and how we should approach the situation in regards to being respectful. We thought that was important. We didn’t put a timetable on it but it should happen pretty soon. So, we’ll see.”
Now it’s unlikely that the Eagles would pick up the $5M option on Vick’s contract. Instead Philadelphia would probably perform a sign and trade deal with whatever team offers the most in a trade.
The Philadelphia Daily News suspects Vick could fetch a fourth-round pick (http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/eagles/20100202_Vick_wants_to_be_starter_in_2010.html). I would anticipate a team trading for Vick to offer a conditional draft pick, similar to what the Jets did with Brett Favre (http://www.thejetsblog.com/2008/08/07/favre-trade-terms/).
Hard to say they could get a fourth, knowing Vick wants to be moved. I think it’s more likely to be a conditional fifth-round pick with the chance to as high as a 2nd or 3rd at best based on playing time and team success in all likelihood.

Dicknoze69
02-02-2010, 02:35 PM
If they're asking price is really a conditional 5th that can move up to a 2nd/3rd, they're crazy. No one should ever give that for a player where it's unclear what he'll bring to the table.

That might be their initial asking price, but I'd wager they'd take significantly less.

jamze132
02-02-2010, 02:36 PM
I would imagine that the Eagles will just release him if everyone balks at their asking price. Of course then a bidding war between 3-5 teams will ensue and we will lose out if we are involved. If the Bills want him, they should offer nothing more than a 5th with no conditions, then hope for the best.

better days
02-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Vick assured he’ll be traded (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/02/02/vick-assured-hell-be-traded/)

By Chris Brown - Posted February 2nd, 2010
Eagles QB Michael Vick has been given assurances by Philadelphia head coach Andy Reid that he will be traded before the NFL Draft. That according to the Philadelphia Daily News.
Vick confirmed he has discussed his future with his agent and what the Eagles might do when he appeared on the Dan Patrick radio show Monday.
“Me and my agent spoke briefly about 2 days ago,” Vick said on Dan Patrick’s radio show. “He’s just trying to get an understanding on what we thought was the best-case scenario and how we should approach the situation in regards to being respectful. We thought that was important. We didn’t put a timetable on it but it should happen pretty soon. So, we’ll see.”
Now it’s unlikely that the Eagles would pick up the $5M option on Vick’s contract. Instead Philadelphia would probably perform a sign and trade deal with whatever team offers the most in a trade.
The Philadelphia Daily News suspects Vick could fetch a fourth-round pick (http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/eagles/20100202_Vick_wants_to_be_starter_in_2010.html). I would anticipate a team trading for Vick to offer a conditional draft pick, similar to what the Jets did with Brett Favre (http://www.thejetsblog.com/2008/08/07/favre-trade-terms/).
Hard to say they could get a fourth, knowing Vick wants to be moved. I think it’s more likely to be a conditional fifth-round pick with the chance to as high as a 2nd or 3rd at best based on playing time and team success in all likelihood.

Why would a team trade even a 6th round pick for Vick? There is no way Philly will keep him, but if they want to keep him & that contract they are welcome to him. I'm sure Vick would be happy to stay in Philly for $5 Million Dollars.

Pinkerton Security
02-02-2010, 02:45 PM
If they're asking price is really a conditional 5th that can move up to a 2nd/3rd, they're crazy. No one should ever give that for a player where it's unclear what he'll bring to the table.

That might be their initial asking price, but I'd wager they'd take significantly less.

thats why it'd be conditional based on his performance, the teams performance and many other things...im sure that trade agreement would be very thoroughly planned out.

Dicknoze69
02-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Why would a team trade even a 6th round pick for Vick? There is no way Philly will keep him, but if they want to keep him & that contract they are welcome to him. I'm sure Vick would be happy to stay in Philly for $5 Million Dollars.

The only reason a team would deal a pick for Vick is to ensure they ended up with Vick's exclusive rights and didn't lose him in a free agent bidding war. The problem there is no one knows if Vick is the same player as he was in Atlanta. Moreover, you'd probably have to give him some sort of contract extension because you wouldn't want him to be successful and leave after one year.

In short, Vick needs a team that has an organizational vision set up for him. Someone has to rely on and essentially marry themselves to Vick as their QB for a trade to happen.

better days
02-02-2010, 02:51 PM
The only reason a team would deal a pick for Vick is to ensure they ended up with Vick's exclusive rights and didn't lose him in a free agent bidding war. The problem there is no one knows if Vick is the same player as he was in Atlanta. Moreover, you'd probably have to give him some sort of contract extension because you wouldn't want him to be successful and leave after one year.

In short, Vick needs a team that has an organizational vision set up for him. Someone has to rely on and essentially marry themselves to Vick as their QB for a trade to happen.

You are right in that Vick & a team will have to be married. A trade is like a shotgun wedding. If Vick is not happy with the team trading for him he can just refuse to agree to a new contract & that team will have to pay him $5 Mill for one year, then he can walk, so why not just wait for the Birds to cut him? I really don't see teams getting into a bidding war over Vick. He will be lucky to get one or two teams interested in him.

DraftBoy
02-02-2010, 03:27 PM
If we trade for Vick I hope its with picks next year, not in the 2010 draft.

That is not me saying I want Vick or don't just simply saying.

trapezeus
02-02-2010, 03:31 PM
i don't get why anyonen needs to trade for vick...

The eagles hold his option, if they don't pay his option, isn't he a free agent? So techinically, can't any team just wait for the eagles to fail to pay his $5.2MM bonus?

I don't understand the mechanics of how it works and why a trade needs to happen.

DrGraves
02-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Vick was electric as a Falcon and changed opposing teams game plans every week. Even when everything breaks down on a play (like they usually do for the Bills) he can make a play. Sure its been a while since those days but this cat was THE MOST EXCITING PLAYER in the league for many years. If there is even a small amount of that explosiveness left in the tank then bring him in!

better days
02-02-2010, 03:37 PM
i don't get why anyonen needs to trade for vick...

The eagles hold his option, if they don't pay his option, isn't he a free agent? So techinically, can't any team just wait for the eagles to fail to pay his $5.2MM bonus?

I don't understand the mechanics of how it works and why a trade needs to happen.

It doesn't need to happen. The Eagles & their fans are hoping some team is stupid enough to do it anyway.

THATHURMANATOR
02-02-2010, 03:42 PM
He is a bigger, faster, younger, Stronger armed Flutie.

THATHURMANATOR
02-02-2010, 03:42 PM
same number too.

better days
02-02-2010, 03:45 PM
He is a bigger, faster, younger, Stronger armed Flutie.

He is NOT a winner like Flutie.

THATHURMANATOR
02-02-2010, 04:03 PM
He isn't?

Vick 38-28-1 2-2 in the playoffs

Flutie 38-28 0-2 in the playoffs....

better days
02-02-2010, 04:14 PM
He isn't?

Vick 38-28-1 2-2 in the playoffs

Flutie 38-28 0-2 in the playoffs....

Flutie won a national Championship in College & a couple Grey cups. What did Vick ever win except a couple dogfights?

tampabay25690
02-02-2010, 04:21 PM

HA HA HA....:sarcasm:

Dicknoze69
02-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Flutie won a national Championship in College & a couple Grey cups. What did Vick ever win except a couple dogfights?

Vick almost won a National Championship against a fairly loaded Florida State team. Also, he has won more NFL playoff games than Flutie, including giving Green Bay their first home playoff loss at Lambeau. So to say he hasn't won anything is probably a poor argument.

tampabay25690
02-02-2010, 04:22 PM

Oh becasue he threw a hailmary???

VICK was in the National Championship as a FRESH at V Tech vs FSU...

THATHURMANATOR
02-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Exactly what did Vick ever win? Other than a few dogfights.
Same exact record except Vick won more playoff games than flutie,, brainiac.

THATHURMANATOR
02-02-2010, 04:40 PM
I don't care what a guy did in college or the minor leagues. I only care about the NFL.

ByrdsTheWord
02-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Vick sucks as an NFL QB. End of discussion.

Joe Fo Sho
02-02-2010, 05:04 PM
BRING HIM IN!!!