PDA

View Full Version : How bout Joe Vitt for DC?

Mahdi
02-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Could be why this is taking so long. He has a ton of experience coaching all three levels of defense and was also interim HC for a bit with the Rams.

Also the Saints play a hybrid defense so it is definitely a fit with what Chan wants to do.

Jeff1220
02-02-2010, 05:53 PM
I liked Vitt's attitude when he was interim HC w/the Rams. If he's our DC, we'll be sure to get more NFLN Total Access coverage, as Rich Eisen was a big fan of "Vitt Ball".

eee1776
02-02-2010, 06:25 PM
On another sight I asked who was Gregg williams second in command on the NO defense l;a;st week. This was the first post that I actually thought made a lot of sence, especially with Chan's comment today on a rochester radio interview about us knowing ouf DC by next week. anythin short of that would have been done by know. I think it will be a good hire if in fact this is the case that Vitt is the man. Maybe thats why greeg williams cracked on us last week, maybe he was upset that he was lossing one of his coaches.

YardRat
02-02-2010, 07:00 PM
I'd be surprised if Greg Williams was smart enough to keep that kind of a secret.

Night Train
02-03-2010, 05:35 AM
This is probably the best guess yet.

Michael82
02-03-2010, 07:02 PM
I'd be surprised if Greg Williams was smart enough to keep that kind of a secret.

Not to mention...with Joe Vitt already being the Assistant Head Coach, I wonder if Payton and Williams would block the hire.

Mahdi
02-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Not to mention...with Joe Vitt already being the Assistant Head Coach, I wonder if Payton and Williams would block the hire.
I think being offered a DC job trumps the Asst. HC thing.

PECKERWOOD
02-03-2010, 07:04 PM

Technically, wouldn't bringing him in as our DC still be an upgrade, though?

Michael82
02-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Technically, wouldn't bringing him in as our DC still be an upgrade, though?

yeah...but wasn't the Assistant HC title the reason how teams have been able to block position coaches from leaving to Coordinator positions?

PECKERWOOD
02-03-2010, 07:08 PM
yeah...but wasn't the Assistant HC title the reason how teams have been able to block position coaches from leaving to Coordinator positions?
Good point, Mikey, I'm not completely sure about that. If what you say is true, we could bring him in as DC and as Assistant HC though.

YardRat
02-03-2010, 07:11 PM
I honestly don't know for sure how the titles would be interpreted to determine upgrade/lateral move/downgrade, but I would assume the title of Assistant Head Coach would trump just about anything.

Unless, of course, Assistant Head Coach/Defensive coordinator trumps AHC/LB's (which I assume it would) but then that means Gailey and Nix are comfortable naming Vitt AHC.

ChristopherWalken
02-03-2010, 07:11 PM
I don't think so. For this to happen it means the Bills would have asked permission to interview Vitt early in the post season (remember the Frasier interview process). And still, by NFL rules, wouldn't be allowed to hire him until after the post season.

Being that Gailey wasn't hired until after the deadline, chances are the Bills never talked to Vitt. Even if they had, the permission to interview would have been public knowledge. Not to mention Gregg Williams despises the Bills and would have spilled the beans days ago.

The DC is going to be a college guy.

I still say Bill Lewis...currently tied to Notre Dame and their recruiting process, he was also another GT HC, and coached with Gailey and Sanders in Miami under Dave Wannstedt.

Even if it isn't Lewis, all signs point to a college coach. Now that recruiting is pretty much done I bet we hear something soon. Thurs or Fri?

ChristopherWalken
02-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Here's a link that highlights the NFL's post season interviewing policies:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/01/04/interview-rules-for-candidates-in-playoffs/