PDA

View Full Version : Question: Would Yankee fans have issue if NFL got rid of salary cap?

BuffaloBlitz83
02-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Lots of Yankee fans don't care about the payroll. And they want to add more big names, expanding the payroll differential yearly. So I ask... would you have an issue if the NFL adapted that policy and teams like Dallas, Washington, Miami, Giants, Jets, Oak could spend as much as they desired to sign every free agent they desired. Making us even further less competitive. Would you keep it real and only blame Ralph or would you point finger at the big spenders like fans of small market teams do with the yanks. I think it gives you a good perspective when shoe is on other foot. Being on other side of stick.

Dying_-2-_Live
02-02-2010, 09:30 PM
If the league were to get rid of the salary cap... The Bills would be gone :(

Iehoshua
02-02-2010, 10:06 PM
No issue here.

If the Bills really were really "gone" if so, then they were never really viable, IMO.

BuffaloBlitz83
02-02-2010, 10:13 PM
No issue here.

If the Bills really were really "gone" if so, then they were never really viable, IMO.

So you wouldn't argue, it isn't fair. We have a competitive disadvantage, we play in buffalo and don't have a stadium with PSL's. We can never sign a max contract guy?

tampabay25690
02-02-2010, 10:37 PM
B Blitz great thread....

Iehoshua
02-02-2010, 10:37 PM
So you wouldn't argue, it isn't fair. We have a competitive disadvantage, we play in buffalo and don't have a stadium with PSL's. We can never sign a max contract guy?
Why not?

Pay the man.

PECKERWOOD
02-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Didn't we go to 4 back to back Superbowl's when there was no cap?

Stewie
02-02-2010, 10:44 PM
no cap doesn't mean the bills will be gone.. they can always spend their way to profitability, whether that means a 30 million payroll is another story.

DrGraves
02-02-2010, 11:31 PM
yanks "fans" are spoiled.

G Wolly
02-02-2010, 11:41 PM
yanks "fans" are spoiled.

Sure, they "play within the rules" by paying luxury taxes and whatnot, but when you're one of the most popular cities in the WORLD, of course you have large amounts of money to spend for talent.

Ingtar33
02-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Didn't we go to 4 back to back Superbowl's when there was no cap?

yeah but there wasn't any "real" free agency either. the NFL's concession to free agency (which the players believed would explode salaries, and they were right) was a salary cap.

SABURZFAN
02-03-2010, 01:49 PM
The Old Fart would just have to reach deeper in his crusty pockets.

WeAreArthurMoates
02-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Well seeing the Bills were at there best with no cap, I think we will survive.

Ebenezer
02-03-2010, 02:07 PM
yeah but there wasn't any "real" free agency either. the NFL's concession to free agency (which the players believed would explode salaries, and they were right) was a salary cap.

Bingo...and that is the whole key right there...while playing in the current salary cap era the Bills haven't made the playoffs...however, back in the early 90s there was no free agency...players had no movement rights and the introduction of true free agency is what started to bring down the Bills (re: Will Wolford poison pill contract from Indi). In the atmosphere of 2010 the Bills would be relegated to Pittsburgh Pirate status (and not because RW is cheap).

I've always argued on how Bills fans who watch a team that would have a chance (if not for the FO) to succeed could possibly root for the Yankees - the antithesis of how the Bills have to work. It would be like being a Cowboys fan in the NFL without a cap.

Novacane
02-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Well seeing the Bills were at there best with no cap, I think we will survive.

Read posts above. There was not FA in those days. Our stars could not go anywhere else

jimbledsoe
02-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Lots of Yankee fans don't care about the payroll. And they want to add more big names, expanding the payroll differential yearly. So I ask... would you have an issue if the NFL adapted that policy and teams like Dallas, Washington, Miami, Giants, Jets, Oak could spend as much as they desired to sign every free agent they desired. Making us even further less competitive. Would you keep it real and only blame Ralph or would you point finger at the big spenders like fans of small market teams do with the yanks. I think it gives you a good perspective when shoe is on other foot. Being on other side of stick.

First of all, the MLB has a salary cap. It is just a soft cap, which means teams can spend over that amount, and in doing so, have to pay a fine to teams that do not.

I believe the system in he MLB is not set up to help all the teams, but there are many teams that do not spend money. They make the money, and put it in there pockets. The Yankees spend the money they have on there team.

I believe there are many teams in the NFL that have found loop holes like the Yankees and the Red Sox. Teams like Washington, Dallas, Jets. They seem to spend a tone of money every year on Free agents and do not seam to have to worry about going over the cap.

The Bills are seem to be screwed either way. They do not spend a ton of money and have a very small market to work with.

Zero
02-03-2010, 02:15 PM
If the league were to get rid of the salary cap... The Bills would be gone :(

Actually, without reveinue sharing, the Bills would be gone...

Ebenezer
02-03-2010, 02:16 PM
I believe there are many teams in the NFL that have found loop holes like the Yankees and the Red Sox. Teams like Washington, Dallas, Jets. They seem to spend a tone of money every year on Free agents and do not seam to have to worry about going over the cap.

That is not true...they cannot exceed the cap. They can formulate bonuses such that they spend more money (and transfer parts of bonus monies into future years) than the cap allows in each year but they cannot go over the cap.

DesertFox24
02-03-2010, 02:30 PM
As a yankee fan I would actually like to see a salary cap and a rookie wage scale in baseball much like what the NBA does and a salary cap like we have.

It was so much fun watching the rays go to the world series and to be honest it sucks watching the same teams year in and year out in the post season. As a yankee fan I have no reason to watch the regular season because the yanks will make the post every year unless something freaky happens.

In my opinion it would make baseball more fun to watch and more compelling.

TacklingDummy
02-03-2010, 02:44 PM
I have no problem with a owner who puts money back into his team.

TacklingDummy
02-03-2010, 02:47 PM
It was so much fun watching the rays go to the world series and to be honest it sucks watching the same teams year in and year out in the post season. As a yankee fan I have no reason to watch the regular season because the yanks will make the post every year unless something freaky happens.

I disagree. I didn't think it sucked watching the Bills get to 4 Super Bowls or the Yanks making the playoffs. What sucks is when they don't make it. When's the last time the Bills made the playoffs? The time for sucking is over.

Stewie
02-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Wait, I thought the bills were middle of the pack in profitability

lets assume the 8 teams with the most gate receipts effectively pay the other 24 teams.. and if buffalo is 16th in profitability, that means there are 8 teams "ahead" of them that would be worse off from losing this stream - thats 25% of the league .. lets not lose our heads over it

that said, I'm glad they have to share the money.

SABURZFAN
02-03-2010, 02:54 PM
I have no problem with a owner who puts money back into his team.

that's part of the reason why the Yankees win and the Bills lose. The Boss has no problem spending the money. The Old Fart just lines his pockets and cries poverty. while many will argue that the Bills don't have big money opportunities like the Yankees, you can easily look back to as far as last year and see how far the Bills were under the cap. not to mention that The Boss wouldn't approve tearing down his team two weeks before the season started neither.

SABURZFAN
02-03-2010, 03:01 PM
also, i don't think The Boss would cheat his fans and let the Yankees play home games in another country or another state either.

ddaryl
02-03-2010, 03:10 PM
I believe all sport leagues should have an even distribution of monies allocated for player and coaching so all the teams can be equal.

Of course I would expect to see minimal requirements for teams to hit as well. If you can't bring in this much revenue and maintain it then your are a candidate to be moved.

When McDonalds puts up its franchises they all have the same menus. none of them have a high end menu while others have a low end menu.

Some Mc D's do have kid play areas etc... so if sports teams want to invest monies into their digs that's Ok. But all teams in a league need to compete equally for the players and coaches.. Otherwise all small market teams will fade away and so will the sport itself IMO.

Baseball is already losing fans.....so I really fail to see what is fun or competitive about any sports league that allows a few teams to be more powerful then the others.

that all being said I haven't followed baseball since the early 80's when I was a teenager playing baseball. The entire MLB is boring as hell. Who wants to watch the redsox and yankees compete every single season. I don't so I don't bother watching or supporting it.

jimbledsoe
02-03-2010, 03:55 PM
That is not true...they cannot exceed the cap. They can formulate bonuses such that they spend more money (and transfer parts of bonus monies into future years) than the cap allows in each year but they cannot go over the cap.

Right, a loop hole.

Ebenezer
02-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Right, a loop hole.
not a loop hole...all teams do it...it's in the rules...that is why it is not a hard cap.

Jeff1220
02-03-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm sure if the NFL were to end up in another era of no cap, that there would be many more restrictions on FA, like the "final 8 rules."
I actually wouldn't mind it. Maybe it would motivate the team to actually start looking for other additional revenue streams. The stadium naming rights is pocket change to an NFL team, but why the Bills don't bank on that possible income is baffling. The revenue sharing has made Ralph and the team's FO lazy and uncreative in creating revenue streams, and nothing provides the motivation to do so like necessity.
Also, being a financially competitive small market MLB team is much more difficult than being a small market NFL team. MLB has 81 home games to sell. Not to mention the NFL brand is much more of a selling point nowadays than MLB. However, if this were to happen, the Bills would be wise to follow the business and team-building models of the some best small market MLB teams like the A's and Twins.
1. Home grown talent (So there's no farm system like MLB, but the draft and scouting would play a much larger role)
2. Financially sound roster moves (keep your own talent and be smart about outside additions that are made - is there a moneyball equivalent to the NFL?)
3. Strong connections to the community (I'm not just talking about a strong history or following - the players and fans have to be much more a part of the community to the point where they are seen as a neighbor or even like family, the way people feel about Cal Ripken in Baltimore for example)

jimbledsoe
02-03-2010, 08:27 PM
not a loop hole...all teams do it...it's in the rules...that is why it is not a hard cap.

Hey, we are saying the same thing.

jimbledsoe
02-03-2010, 08:27 PM

All teams do not do it. Cash to Cap

DrGraves
02-03-2010, 10:12 PM
When I say spoiled I don't mean they are cheating or playing unfairly.... its just that many fans can't handle it when the team doesn't reach the world series every year... how do you think the fans of the other 30 teams feel every season? or the fans of teams who are eliminated for contention 2 months into the season...

Ebenezer
02-03-2010, 10:16 PM
All teams do not do it. Cash to Cap
cash to cap has nothing to do with amortizing bonuses...the Bills still prorate bonuses for signing bonuses just like all teams.

jimbledsoe
02-03-2010, 11:06 PM
cash to cap has nothing to do with amortizing bonuses...the Bills still prorate bonuses for signing bonuses just like all teams.

Yes, all the teams pay the bonuses that way, but not all the teams make sure the total amount does not excede the cap every year.

TacklingDummy
02-03-2010, 11:41 PM
How many big name free agents have Synder or Jones signed?
I know the Redskins have signed some aging vets but it hasn't helped them to put a winning product on the field

Free Agency is overrated. Teams are built by the Draft and it all starts with a Quarterback.

Michael82
02-04-2010, 03:25 AM
I'd have more of a problem with the NFL getting rid of revenue sharing. That's what keep teams like Buffalo, Cincy, Green Bay, Indianapolis and others afloat. It's different with Steinbrenner and Wilson too. Ralph has no extra money other than what he makes on the team, sure he could try harder to get other revenue by doing more things to market his team, but he doesn't have the cash floating around to pay out those crazy Snyder bonuses and pay big bucks for his coaching staff. Steinbrenner has the extra cash and then some and chooses to spend it. I don't blame him, but I also don't see why he can't share it with the other teams, as long as they spend it on the players too.

THATHURMANATOR
02-04-2010, 07:52 AM
I have been a Yankees fan for my whole life.

I woudn't want the NFL to do away with a salary cap.

DesertFox24
02-04-2010, 08:02 AM
I disagree. I didn't think it sucked watching the Bills get to 4 Super Bowls or the Yanks making the playoffs. What sucks is when they don't make it. When's the last time the Bills made the playoffs? The time for sucking is over.

My post was in regards to baseball, the regular season means nothing because they play 182 games.

Also in the late 80s early 90s a player could not leave via FA because we had his rights it was not until the next CBA that players won the right to be FAs after a certain amount of time, which allowed rich teams to get players and pay them money.

This killed the old system because there is no way the bills and other small market teams could match offers of the bigger clubs.

That being said a salary cap (max and min) would make baseball more competitive and fun in my opinion and also put more emphasis on teams that draft well and have a good farm system.

ddaryl
02-04-2010, 09:17 AM
How many big name free agents have Synder or Jones signed?
I know the Redskins have signed some aging vets but it hasn't helped them to put a winning product on the field

Free Agency is overrated. Teams are built by the Draft and it all starts with a Quarterback.

I agree, over buying of top FA's hasn't exactly guarenteed championships, but the Snyders are still held in check from adding even more FA's eveyr year by the salary cap

BUT I still insist that all teams in any league compete for players and coaches with equal monies....

WHY

because if a few teams can outsepnd others they will sign the majority of the top FA's. Some of these FA's would greatly benefit the lower teams in their pursuit to building a championship. BUT if the top teams are scarfing up all of the top FA's that hurts the other teams looking for a single piece to complete the puzzle

It may just be one single FA that could be a difference maker for a poorer team, but if the top teams can spend as much as they want they will be stealing opportunity from the rest of the league... which I think is rediculous to even consider letting it happen.

Salary caps are a great thing for pro sports... and without it the league will suffer. I know how much i look forward to free agency every year, and a non cap league will suck a lot of the joy out of it for the majority of fans

TacklingDummy
02-04-2010, 11:49 AM
I'd have more of a problem with the NFL getting rid of revenue sharing. That's what keep teams like Buffalo, Cincy, Green Bay, Indianapolis and others afloat. .
The Colts will soon be giving out the highest contract in football history. They have had no problem keeping their stars, Manning, Wayne, Harrison, Clark, Sanders, Freeney, Saturday to name a few. It's :bs: when people say small markets can't afford to pay.

I just wish the Bills had stars to pay but they don't draft stars they draft projects.