PDA

View Full Version : 2010 1st Round Mock

BillsMan80
02-03-2010, 12:39 PM
for those of you clamoring for one, here's my go at one. Flame away...

1. St. Louis Rams-Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
-While the Rams certainly do need a Quarterback in a bad way, I doubt that Spagnuolo goes against his defensive roots to take a QB who isn't fair value at #1. He'll go with the easy, slam dunk pick of the top player in the draft and attempt to build a defense up that pretty much couldn't stop anyone last year. The safest pick in the draft is Suh and when you have the #1 pick you absolutely positively, cannot afford to miss on this pick.

2. Detroit Lions-Gerald McCoy, DT, Alabama
-Ever since Detroit traded Shaun Rogers, they have lacked that dominating physical presence inside. Well, it's time for the Lions to get that presence back on the interior defensive lines. McCoy is another safe pick who is very likely to become an impact player in this year's draft and will start from Day 1 in Detroit, and the best part about it for the Lions is that he is a position of need for them. Don't think that Jim Schwartz doesn't know the signifigance of a dominant DT (hint-hint, Albert Haynesworth in TEN).

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers-Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
-Morgan is a true impact Defensive End coming out of the draft this year and the Bucs need a pass rusher very, very badly. I think Morgan will skyrocket based on his performances leading up the draft based on his athleticism. Morgan can rush the passer and has a good frame, and that is invaluable to a team like Tampa who has gone Defensive End in the top 5 before in the past with Simeon Rice, and recent bust (RIP) Gaines Adams. Look for this to be the first draft suprise.

4. Washington Redskins-Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
-Everyone says QB here, but I don't see it. Shanahan has already said that he's going to give Campbell a shot, and why not give him a shot behind a better Offensive Line? His line was absolutely porous as evidenced by the late season MNF game against the Giants. Campbell at least has played capable ball over the course of a season before. Plus, receivers like Malcom Kelly and Devin Thomas are at points in their careers (3rd season), where we'll get a much better idea of whether Campbell has the weapons to be successful. In addition to that, stud TE Chris Cooley was injured for much of last season.

5. Kansas City Chiefs-Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
-The Chiefs are desperate to build up the offensive line and why not do it with the most polished tackle in the draft after Okung? This would allow them to move natural guard Branden Albert inside and to build up the line that way. Brian Waters is starting to slow down a bit, and I don't think Pioli and Haley give up on Matt Cassel after just one season with the contract that he signed.

6. Seattle Seahawks-Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
-Carroll could go Quarterback here, but the Seahawks also have issues in a lot of different places, and I think with Hasselbeck still being a capable Quarterback, he goes Defensive impact player here and Left Tackle at 14. Berry could revolutionize the way the Safety position is played and instantly is an upgrade over Babineux or Grant for the Hawks and instantly upgrades that secondary.

7. Cleveland Browns-Joe Haden, CB, Florida
-Eric Wright is a capable corner but the Browns desperately need a true "shut-down" corner. Brandon McDonald is often picked on and is penalty prone on the other side of Wright and the Browns would certainly do themselves a favor to move on and draft McDonald's replacement. Haden is a talented, athletic corner who has good ball skills and would be a welcome sight in the Cleveland secondary.

8. Oakland Raiders-Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
-This pick might as well be a total guess as there's any which way that senile Al could go. I think Davis ends up picking between Davis and Rolando McClain. In the end, Al goes with the potential and measureables on the Line which can let Mario Henderson slide over to Right Tackle in time if they feel Anthony Davis is capable of playing Left Tackle.

9. Buffalo Bills-Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
-With three OTs off the board already it came down to three players, Bradford, McClain, or Clausen. Seeing as how this team desperately needs some direction at QB, should the draft fall this way it should be a relatively easy selection for Buddy Nix at that point to nail down the Quarterback of the future. I know there are some guys who could have a case made for them but Bradford was spectacular, and I don't think one shoulder injury makes him injury prone.

10. Denver Broncos-Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
-Pretty easy pick here for the Broncos with the Brandon Marshall saga that lasted all offseason. The Broncos reload at receiver with the draft's top receiver, and don't even think twice. Bryant is a top prospect and an easy replacement for Brandon Marshall.

11. Jacksonville Jaguars-Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
-The Jaguars must find a way to upgrade their pass rush and upgrade defensive personnel. 1st Round picks Derrick Harvey and Reggie Nelson thus far have failed to live up to their draft status. The Jaguar offense has some good weapons. It's now time for Jack Del Rio to fortify his side of the football and get some players on the defensive side of the ball. Pierre-Paul would be a good start.

12. Miami Dolphins-Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama
-The Dolphins get a fortunate break here and end up with a damn good football at 12, and one who fits the ILB position of the 3-4 to a T. McClain is an outstanding football player and will terrorize AFC East Offensive Coordinators for years if he ends up in Miami. He was a leader for that Alabama defense all season long and expect him to make a Patrick Willis type impact in the pros.

13. San Francisco 49ers-Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
-Trent Williams seems like a good fit here for the 49ers as they appear to be in a position to give Alex Smith another chance to be the guy in San Francisco. They have a solid LT in Joe Staley and since many see Trent Williams being strictly an RT, they can go to him here and pencil him in as their RT from day one and hope he can make an impact the way former OU tackle Phil Loadholt did in Minnesota.

14. Seattle Seahawks-Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
-Seattle seemed all set to go Left Tackle here until Jimmy Clausen was sitting on the board at 14. The Seahawks now go for Clausen who is a great value at 14 and now shift attention to the Left Tackle position in the 2nd Round. Clausen has a big arm and a lot of potential. Both Bradford and Clausen have the ability to be very good quarterbacks in this league for a very long time.

15. New York Giants-Brian Price, DT, UCLA
-The Giants defense was a defense that was expected to be outstanding at the beginning of the season however, as the season wore on that proved not to be the case. Price will provide New York with a big, rotational body up front for their defense which is predicated on pressure and will be a big help for talented ends like Tuck, Umenyiora, and Kiawanuka.

16. Tennessee Titans-Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida
-Tennessee is another team that needs to get younger on the defensive front and the fact that they play Peyton Manning twice a year means you need to find a way to have consistent pressure. The Titans ends are older and don't offer much of a pass rush anymore as Vanden Bosch isn't even a premier pass rusher. Dunlap is big, physical, and can get to the Quarterback. A perfect type of pick for Fisher to try and find ways to keep Manning at bay.

17. San Francisco 49ers-Earl Thomas, S, Texas
-The best value at a position the Niners could use help at comes here with Earl Thomas. The Niners could really use a ballhawking safety as corners Nate Clements and Dre Bly are much maligned and get beat regularly. A skilled center fielder like Thomas could help make up for some of the times that the Niner corners get beat off the line by Wideouts.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers-Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee
-Casey Hampton at the age of 33 is probably on his last legs regarding being a defensive anchor for the Steelers. With that in mind, Dan Williams, who is one of the hottest rising prospects out there after his great Senior Bowl week gets the call here. Williams can be a defensive anchor for the Steelers and will be a good rotational player to start his career off.

19. Atlanta Falcons-Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan
-Graham's postseason has elevated his status in a big way. Atlanta could use a good rusher opposite Abraham, and with last year's first rounder coming back in Peria Jerry, this team could build a very strong line to help with it's defensive issues. The offense is in good shape but a line with two solid pass rushers and an impact DT in Jerry would go a long way towards fixing its Defensive issues.

20. Houston Texans-C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
-Houston gets very fortunate to see Spiller sitting there at 20. The Texans have major issues at RB, as Ryan Moats and Chris Brown aren't threats at RB and Steve Slaton after a great rookie season had fumble issues last year. Spiller is a playmaker and a tandem of Spiller and Slaton at RB would be outstanding. A great value here.

21. Cincinnati Bengals-Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
-If Gresham checks out physically, I think he's the first tight end off the board in April. Gresham was Sam Bradford's safety valve and he could certainly evolve into Palmer's in Cincinnati. The Bengals defense was very good last year. They need reinforcements for the offense. Take a look at what Dustin Keller did against the Bengals in the playoffs at TE. That's what the Bengals need for Carson Palmer.

22. New England Patriots-Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri
-The Patriots need to get better and younger on defense and seeing how they run both the 3-4 and 4-3, Weatherspoon would be a good fit. Made some good plays at the Senior Bowl and was a leader on defense. Expect him to step right and be a contributor on a Belichick coached defense.

23. Green Bay Packers-Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
-Expecting Campbell to go here as the Packers have a desperate need on the Offensive Line. Campbell is an inexperienced college player but does have a lot of "upside." That is why I have Campbell falling lowest amongst the Tackles here. Campbell will need some time to get adjusted and if he's not a one year wonder will be able to step in and protect Rodgers for years to come.

24. Philadelphia Eagles-Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
-Iupati can be a dominant force in the running game and had a very good week at the Senior Bowl. He was tried outside, and while many feel he would be out of place as a Tackle, he can step right in on the Eagles interior to help out and be a solid guard to help pave the way for McCoy and Westbrook.

25. Baltimore Ravens-Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
-Kyle Wilson's Senior Bowl has literally catapulted him up the charts at Corner where after Haden, it could go any direction. Here I think the Ravens are impressed with Wilson's coverage skills and the physicality of his game, and make him their pick as they try to replace a few of their top corners who either moved on or were let go due to age.

26. Arizona Cardinals-Jared Odrick, DE/DT, Penn State
-I suspect that Whisenhunt gives Lienart an opportunity to see what he can do at QB before he goes in that direction, as well as the fact that Arizona has defensive needs. Odrick can play a little bit of end or tackle if he has to and had a good season at Penn State. Has good quickness and will be a welcome sight in the desert.

27. Dallas Cowboys-Damian Williams, WR, USC
-Dallas has a need at Tackle as Flozell Adams is getting old, however there doesn't appear to be a tackle good enough to give them. Instead they fortify their WR situation as Miles Austin became a real player last year, but lets be realistic in the sense that the Roy Williams experiment has failed. What a bust he's been and Williams can step in and be ready to step in for Williams in the next year or so.

28. San Diego Chargers-Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech
-The Chargers need a Running Back as it appears that LT is on his last legs. With a quick scat-back like Sproles already in place, a big bruiser like Dwyer would fit well in San Diego as he can pound at the inside of defenses. The Chargers also need some guys on defense, but a player to compliment Sproles and be the primary ball carrier is a huge need.

29. New York Jets-Everson Griffen, DE, USC
-The Jets need to upgrade the front seven more than anything. The secondary is outstanding but outside of Shaun Ellis and Calvin Pace, the Jets have no real consistent pass rushing threats. Griffen is a big, strong, and solid pass rusher who should add some punch to the Jets pass rush, that was supposed to come from Gholston who has been a collosal bust.

30. Minnesota Vikings-Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State
-The Vikings need secondary guys and Robinson is the one here with Winfield battling injuries and getting up there in age, as well as the torn ACL suffered by Cedric Griffin means that a corner will be in the offing in the first round for the Vikes.
31. New Orleans Saints-Navorro Bowman, OLB, Penn State
-The Saints have a big need at OLB/DE and while I would have liked to have given them Kindle, he is a better fit in a 3-4, and Bowman is a better fit in a 4-3. The Saints need impact players on the front 7 and Bowman can be a solid fit as an OLB in the 4-3 on the outside of Jonathan Vilma in New Orleans.

32. Indianapolis Colts-Taylor Mays, S-LB, USC
-This pick might have been the toughest for me. If the Colts lose the Super Bowl and pick ahead of New Orleans then they get Bowman who is a great fit for the Colts defense. Because I have them here right now, they miss out on Bowman and have a tough choice. I went with Taylor Mays because first of all, the Colts could move him to OLB ala Cato June, a college Safety at Michigan, and second, Bob Sanders is hurt more than he's on the field, so therefore, Mays may end up having to play Safety anyway and he's certainly an impact player.

On the Cusp of 1st Round Status-Sergio Kindle, Jahvid Best, Arrelious Benn, Terrance Cody, Brandon Spikes, Donovan Warren

TigerJ
02-03-2010, 12:56 PM
If the Bills do pick a QB, I think Bradford might be a safer pick than Clausen despite the injury issues and the fact Bradford did a lot of shotgun. He's smart and has his head screwed on the right way. I worry that Clausen might be something of a head case. But if three OTs weren't off the board by the time the Bills pick do you think Buffalo might take the third?

BillsMan80
02-03-2010, 01:00 PM
If the Bills do pick a QB, I think Bradford might be a safer pick than Clausen despite the injury issues and the fact Bradford did a lot of shotgun. He's smart and has his head screwed on the right way. I worry that Clausen might be something of a head case. But if three OTs weren't off the board by the time the Bills pick do you think Buffalo might take the third?

I think Bulaga or Okung are the two you would take at 9...Davis is still more of a potential guy, and Williams I think is strictly a RT. Campbell is too inexperienced for my taste at #9, and based on Buddy's comments, he wants guys who have proved it over time. I think it will be tough though because you could see 3 OTs go before us. I would only take Bulaga or Okung at 9. But if Bradford is there, I don't pass on him under any circumstance.

Beebe's Kid
02-03-2010, 02:23 PM
I like this scenario. I hate seeing the phish get McClain. He would be a real thorn in our side! Although it may help them make the decision to get rid of Porter, who I don't like...unless he is on our team!

BillsWin
02-03-2010, 03:05 PM
:bf1: Any mock that has us taking Sam Bradford is BillsWin approved. :bf1:

THATHURMANATOR
02-03-2010, 03:12 PM
:bf1: Any mock that has us taking Sam Bradford is BillsWin approved. :bf1:
Agreed. Bradford is my ultimate fantasy!

BillsWin
02-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Agreed. Bradford is my ultimate fantasy!

Have a beer fellow Bradford supporter. :chug:

ddaryl
02-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Bradford would be a nice score.. I worry about that shoulder but he probably will get some time to heal here before becoming a full starter.

Ed
02-03-2010, 03:19 PM
I like this scenario. I hate seeing the phish get McClain. He would be a real thorn in our side! Although it may help them make the decision to get rid of Porter, who I don't like...unless he is on our team!
I was thinking the same thing. This isn't the first mock I've seen where the fish draft McClain. The thought of him as a dolphin makes me want to gag.

BillsWin
02-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Bradford would be a nice score.. I worry about that shoulder but he probably will get some time to heal here before becoming a full starter.

Idealy, you let him sit at least eight games to get a feel for the system like you should for almost every rookie QB. Then, if he's ready let him play a little at a time if the line is good enough to make sure he doesn't get destroyed.

I personally think that Bradford is ready to start day one as a rookie like Ryan did. But, I don't want him to. I want him to be protected and know the system front to back.

Let's not screw up another QB!!!

BillsMan80
02-03-2010, 03:21 PM
The big advantage for us is that if Washington passes on a QB, I bet Seattle does because they may figure they can get a QB at 14 as they think we take one, and they take the other at 14 as it plays out in my scenario, or they figure if SF snaps up the other QB, then Seattle just turns their attention to the OL. Washington is the key to this whole draft.

YardRat
02-03-2010, 04:57 PM
If we pass on Bryant or McLain for Bradford, my opinion of Nix and Co. goes down quite a few notches.