• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RockStar36
    Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
    • Sep 2004

Kovalchuk to be traded soon

Ilya Kovalchuk's days as a member of the Atlanta Thrashers appear to be numbered.

Thrashers general manager Don Waddell met with the star forward on Wednesday and told him to expect a trade to another NHL team over the next few hours or days.

D & S Sports

• qcsabresfan84
    • Feb 2003

Re: Kovalchuk to be traded soon

It blows my mind that he's still only 26. This guy has a shot at 600 goals in his career at least.
    N.C. STATE WOLFPACK

Comment

• Nighthawk
      Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
      • Jul 2002

Would love to have him in Buffalo, but that would never happen.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

any rumors as to where he will end up?

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
          • Jul 2002

I would trade for him as a rental if they would take Mcarthur, Stafford, Gerbe, and Lydman but they would probably want more.

Comment

• elltrain22
            • Sep 2003

I say he ends up in either Chicago or Nashville.
            If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• hydro
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
              I would trade for him as a rental if they would take Mcarthur, Stafford, Gerbe, and Lydman but they would probably want more.
              Hell yeah. Get rid of some garbage and have a Cup shot this season! Throw in a first round pick.
              BERNIAC!

Comment

• rbochan
                Zamboni Driver
                • Jun 2008

I hope he's traded soon so we can stop hearing about him.
                ...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
                it's Don't Tread On Me.

Comment

• RockStar36
                  • Sep 2004

The teams rumored are the usual suspects. Philly, Rangers, Chicago, etc.

Neither Philly or NYR really have the cap room to make a deal like this without moving something major. The one team that has never been mentioned once in rumors is Buffalo.

LA is been mentioned a lot, which I'm fine with because it gets him out of the East.

The biggest hindrance in this deal is that ATL won't let the other team negotiate a deal with him ahead of time. So basically, trade for him at your own risk and hope you can sign him. I hate that. I would want him locked up for sure if I'm gonna make a trade this big.

Thurm, since we're playing dream scenarios... I'd go Roy, Stafford, prospect, and 1st round pick for this guy.

D & S Sports

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RockStar36
                    The teams rumored are the usual suspects. Philly, Rangers, Chicago, etc.

Neither Philly or NYR really have the cap room to make a deal like this without moving something major. The one team that has never been mentioned once in rumors is Buffalo.

LA is been mentioned a lot, which I'm fine with because it gets him out of the East.

The biggest hindrance in this deal is that ATL won't let the other team negotiate a deal with him ahead of time. So basically, trade for him at your own risk and hope you can sign him. I hate that. I would want him locked up for sure if I'm gonna make a trade this big.

Thurm, since we're playing dream scenarios... I'd go Roy, Stafford, prospect, and 1st round pick for this guy.
                    Yeah I would do that too Dev. A little much but we are fairly deep in the minors. Plus it would open salary for either possibly retaining Kovie or signing other players in the off season.

Comment

• RockStar36
                      • Sep 2004

Yikes...

"Ultimately, we offered Kovy more than $101 million over 12 years, which would have been the highest contract signed by an impending unrestricted free agent in the history of the league. If accepted, this contract would have been the second highest offer ever to any NHL player. We also met his desire to be the highest paid player based on average annual salary with a separate offer of 7 years at $10M per year ($70M). This offer is $0.5M higher per year than any other player.

D & S Sports

Comment

• don137
                        • Jul 2002

Looks like he went to the Devils...Wish he went to the Western Conference.

The Devils have won the Ilya Kovalchuk sweepstakes, acquiring from the superstar winger from the Thrashers on Thursday night, a source close to the deal told ESPN.com.

Comment

Working...
                        X