• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • T-Long
    Circling the Wagons since 1982.
    • Sep 2003

My take on Nix/Whaley combo

This is a prime example of "grooming" in my opinion. Nix flat out admitted he doesn't know a lot of the business aspects that goes with a General Manager title, but the one thing this guy DOES know is football. I think a well respected scout making the final decisions on aquisitions is going to prove huge for us. Who knows how many times Jauron overruled a scout's recommendation at a certain spot. No one knows unless they were in that war room....but with Nix signing off on anything, I feel a hell of a lot more comfortable with him making the picks than anyone else we've had since Polian.

Whaley, on the other hand, probably was attracted to the position because of the job title as Assistant GM. This is probably a dream of his to become a GM and he sees that right now the Bills have one who is 70 years old and won't be here forever. I think this is a great move by the Bills and one that should be applauded if it indeed happens.
  • AB4now
    • Jan 2010

Re: My take on Nix/Whaley combo

Originally posted by T-Long
    This is a prime example of "grooming" in my opinion. Nix flat out admitted he doesn't know a lot of the business aspects that goes with a General Manager title, but the one thing this guy DOES know is football. I think a well respected scout making the final decisions on aquisitions is going to prove huge for us. Who knows how many times Jauron overruled a scout's recommendation at a certain spot. No one knows unless they were in that war room....but with Nix signing off on anything, I feel a hell of a lot more comfortable with him making the picks than anyone else we've had since Polian.

Whaley, on the other hand, probably was attracted to the position because of the job title as Assistant GM. This is probably a dream of his to become a GM and he sees that right now the Bills have one who is 70 years old and won't be here forever. I think this is a great move by the Bills and one that should be applauded if it indeed happens.
    I don't know much about Whaley or what goes into the GM job completely. I do however feel having Nix overseeing the talent that comes thru buffalo, should be applauded. He is a football guy and a former football scout. He knows talent. Now he just has to convince ralph to bring them in. Good luck Buddy...
    thats whats up

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

It looks like a nice promotion and he may very well be in training for Nix's position, but I think he may be our pro personnel guy for a while, too.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• T-Long
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
        It looks like a nice promotion and he may very well be in training for Nix's position, but I think he may be our pro personnel guy for a while, too.
        I agree. I think he will take over for John Guy, and also learn on the job with Buddy. (Hell, Buddy is learning on the job too!) I think it makes a ton of sense to pretty much hire a successor and bring in a guy from a great organization.

Comment

• Mudflap1
          Next Question!
          • Nov 2004

I have to just say again, I am flabbergasted at an overall solid-looking move...

Comment

• EDS
            • Jan 2003

Couple of things:

1. The guys that took over when Polian left weren't bad, by and stretch, they were after all, Buddy's bosses until a few years ago.

2. I am guessing Jauron is being used as the scapegoat for alot of the troubles of the Bills, but I can't believe Modrak, Guy and Nix (at least for last year) don't have some culpability, either because they were complicit in the decisions or couldn't convince whomever was making the decision to make the right call.

3. It is beyond obvious that the Bills need to groom a successor for Buddy. Dude is past retirement age as it is.

Comment

• bigbub2352
              • Feb 2005

this would be a solid hire a fresh set of eyes in the front office has been needed for years
              get it done
              XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• T-Long
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by EDS
                The guys that took over when Polian left weren't bad, by and stretch, they were after all, Buddy's bosses until a few years ago.
                Yeah John Butler did us huge favors with all those horrible contracts and then left town making someone else clean it up and then take a bunch of those players we were forced to cut.

Comment

• EDS
                  • Jan 2003

Yeah John Butler did us huge favors with all those horrible contracts and then left town making someone else clean it up and then take a bunch of those players we were forced to cut.
                  If Butler and A.J. Smith don't do a good job in San Diego Buddy Nix would be playing a lot more golf these days.

Comment

• T-Long
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by EDS
                    If Butler and A.J. Smith don't do a good job in San Diego Buddy Nix would be playing a lot more golf these days.
                    Yeah they did just fine in SD, but in Buffalo, I beg to differ. They were the San Diego Bills there for awhile.

Comment

• EDS
                      • Jan 2003

Yeah they did just fine in SD, but in Buffalo, I beg to differ. They were the San Diego Bills there for awhile.
                      They did pick up a bunch of former Bills, Wiley, Flutie, Christie, can't remember who else.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                        Hall of Fame Zoner
                        • Jan 2010

sam rogers too

Comment

• T-Long
                          • Sep 2003

Yeah Butler signed these guys to big contracts and then the Bills were in salary cap hell there for awhile to clean it up. Butler went on to sunny SD and brought with him all the guys we had to cut because of the contracts HE gave them.

Oh well, back on topic.

Absolutely love the move of Whaley and I look forward to hearing from him and where he stands on the draft, free agency, etc. Hopefully the Bills puppet Chris Brown lands an interview with him soon.

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
                            • Feb 2009

Just a question, everyone calls Brown the Bills puppet but would any one of you want to be that puppet.

Comment

• elltrain22
                              • Sep 2003

One thing that I think is evident this offseason so far is that we have tried to hire guys that really know football, and more importantly, how to access football talent. One thing that has surely been lacking for so long, has been good decision making. I think last year's draft, coupled with a couple more good drafts, and maybe some good FA moves could spell success in the very near future. Not saying that this can happen next year, but I'm optimistic that we finally have qualified people making personal decisions.
                              If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

Working...
                              X