PDA

View Full Version : Edwards named Bills DC

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Former Dolphins linebackers coach George Edwards will be hired as the Bills defensive coordinator. per my buddy Adam Schefter

WeAreArthurMoates
02-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Nice, good catch Pat. Seems like a good hire, inexperienced but has some experienced guys on staff. I really like this move.

THATHURMANATOR
Never heard of the guy.

What is the thoughts on this move?

ddaryl
I know nothing about him.. so let the informational posts roll on

jamcrew
02-04-2010, 12:47 PM
8 minutes earlier and Schefter could have saved you a post

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 12:47 PM
GREAT ****IN MOVE, TRUST ME

OpIv37
02-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Will he run a 3-4 or 4-3?

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 12:48 PM
he WAS going to be the DC at University of Florida from my understanding.

Oh, and hello 3-4 defense (though I do not know for a fact.. yet)

BlackMetalNinja
02-04-2010, 12:50 PM
he WAS going to be the DC at University of Florida from my understanding.

Oh, and hello 3-4 defense (though I do not know for a fact.. yet)Yes, he was hired as the DC for Florida about a month ago actually.

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Will he run a 3-4 or 4-3?

We'll see but the only thing I remained solid on throughout this entire coach was a strong source who told me they were going 3-4, Ive stood by that much, and we'll see.

Sanders just made no sense to not announce it.

Edwards has never been a DC in the NFL before.

FROM WHAT I HEAR, I LOVE THIS MOVE.. LOVEEEE IT

streetkings01
02-04-2010, 12:53 PM
GREAT ****IN MOVE, TRUST MECare to explain how this is a great move?

Michael82
02-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Wow! No wonder this hire was kept so quiet. He was just hired by the Florida Gators less than a month ago. Good move. :bf1:

Dr. Lecter
Ugh.

Poor staff so far, imo.

I like Sanders, Catalvalos and DeHaven

2-14 here we come!

Dicknoze69
Holy smokes, I'm amazed he left Florida.

EDS
So he accepts the Florida DC job less than a month ago, and then does an about face today to take a job with the Bills?

Looks like he was on Gailey's staff when he was with the Comboys.

ddaryl
02-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Ugh.

Poor staff so far, imo.

2-14 here we come!

I see no reason why we can't go 6-10

THATHURMANATOR
02-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Ugh.

Poor staff so far, imo.

2-14 here we come!
Please explain.

EDS
02-04-2010, 12:56 PM
We'll see but the only thing I remained solid on throughout this entire coach was a strong source who told me they were going 3-4, Ive stood by that much, and we'll see.

Sanders just made no sense to not announce it.

Edwards has never been a DC in the NFL before.

FROM WHAT I HEAR, I LOVE THIS MOVE.. LOVEEEE IT

Wasn't he DC in Washingtion for a year? 2003 or 2004?

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Care to explain how this is a great move?

Early things I've heard about him are all good, particularly his ability to get the most of his LB's.

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Wasn't he DC in Washingtion for a year? 2003 or 2004?

Not a full year.. I dont think.. I could be wrong

ajgoff1286
02-04-2010, 12:58 PM
I thought Edwards was a DC in Washington for a couple years?

Dr. Lecter
02-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Please explain.

They have a DC who has never beena DC before that will be changing defenses from a 4-3 to a 3-4, when the team is already lacking the talent to run a 3-4.

They have a OC who is OC in name only and the HC is going to do both jobs, despite having not been a NFL HC for ten years.

Most of the other coaches are not NFL experienced or have been with mediocre results (i.e. Hixon)

I see little to be excited about. Even Sanders has been mostly a 4-3 guy in the past.

THATHURMANATOR
02-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Not a full year.. I dont think.. I could be wrong

[edit] Washington Redskins
In 2002, Edwards moved on to the Washington Redskins under the title of Assistant Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers coach. That season linebacker LaVar Arrington had his most productive career year, recording 107 tackles and 11 quarterback sacks to earn a Pro Bowl selection. Each of the team's three starting linebackers - Arrington, Jessie Armstead and Jeremiah Trotter - surpassed 100 tackles that season.

The following season, Edwards was promoted to the role of defensive coordinator. The team had two Pro Bowlers on defense that season - Arrington and cornerback Champ Bailey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Edwards_(American_football)

BlackMetalNinja
02-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Not a full year.. I dont think.. I could be wrongYou are... he was the DC there in 2003, then went to Cleveland as LB coach the following season.

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 01:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Edwards_(American_football)

yeah, good find.

Cool.. I didnt even know he had a wiki page, lol.

So he was a DC there for one year?

THATHURMANATOR
02-04-2010, 01:00 PM
They have a DC who has never beena DC before that will be changing defenses from a 4-3 to a 3-4, when the team is already lacking the talent to run a 3-4.

You are Ill imformed.

Dr. Lecter
02-04-2010, 01:01 PM
You are Ill imformed.

I see that now.

Having been a DC for one year is better than none, but he is hardly an accomplished DC.

I'll wait and see, but so far this staff is an unispiring as Gailey.

THATHURMANATOR
02-04-2010, 01:02 PM
I see that now.

Having been a DC for one year is better than none, but he is hardly an accomplished DC.

Your posting of late is uninspiring.

madness
02-04-2010, 01:03 PM

:rofl:

Dr. Lecter
02-04-2010, 01:04 PM

That hurts me Thurm. Deeply.

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Well at least It looks like I got one report out there correct this year.

BlackMetalNinja
02-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Well at least It looks like I got one report out there correct this year.You mean you correctly reposted Schefter's report? Good work, the Bills just made it official and everything.

ZAZusmc03
02-04-2010, 01:09 PM
got the text from the bills. Good hire.

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 01:09 PM
You mean you correctly reposted Schefter's report? Good work, the Bills just made it official and everything.

I am not talking about the Edwards hiring.. I didnt have the first clue about him or anyone else for that matter.

and I posted as by Schefter on the thread to begin with.

I'm talking about them switching toa 3-4 defense, which I did report on January 26th, and I'd get reemed to death if not true because nobody else believed me.
http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2010/01/im-told-bills-to-switch-to-3-4-defense/

And I should shut up cause that aint official yet either

The Spaz
02-04-2010, 01:10 PM
“Defensively, we will start from a 3-4 alignment,” said new Bills defensive coordinator George Edwards.

BlackMetalNinja
02-04-2010, 01:10 PM
I am not talking about the Edwards hiring.. I didnt have the first clue about him or anyone else for that matter.

and I posted as by Schefter on the thread to begin with.

I'm talking about them switching toa 3-4 defense, which I did report on January 26th, and I'd get reemed to death if not true because nobody else believed me.
http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2010/01/im-told-bills-to-switch-to-3-4-defense/

And I should shut up cause that aint official yet eitherCorrect, not official, though it would seem as though it's more likely now. Still trying to figure out how that's going to work with our current roster though...

SABURZFAN
02-04-2010, 01:12 PM
like Gailey, i don't know too much about Edwards before being hired by Buffalo. i have to read up a little more on him. i hope he does well for us.

Dicknoze69
02-04-2010, 01:12 PM
“Defensively, we will start from a 3-4 alignment,” said new Bills defensive coordinator George Edwards.

Yep, the official statement confirms Pat's report.

“Defensively, we will start from a 3-4 alignment,” said Edwards. “But we will do what we feel is best for our players. We are not going to give anything away about exactly what we will do, but personnel will dictate what you can and what you can’t do. As far as the initial alignment, the 3-4 is what we will start off with and we will adjust from there.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Bills-name-Edwards-defensive-coordinator/d4bc880d-7f2e-48a2-8cc4-74e731938c0e

Night Train
02-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Ugh.

Poor staff so far, imo.

2-14 here we come!

Wow.

The Bills can win 6-7 games a year with the grim reaper and THIS coaching staff is 3 times worse ? :rofl:

I'll give them a sporting chance and see how the long off-season progresses.

Mudflap1
Another surprisingly non bottom feeder-type move. Two in two days! I wonder if this means that Porter and/or Taylor could be stop gap moves to improve the defense next year?

bigbub2352
seems like a decent hire, but i got to agree with DR lector, im not a fan of this staff at all, and retaining sanders and catavlos was ok, but the rest of these guys seem bottom of the barrel coachs cheap and form KC and college and the CFL, now a DC who has never been a DC in the NFL and may be switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4

with a horrible Dline and a Horrible set of LBers we need to be heavy on D in the draft and heavy in FA as well

Gotta buy a pass rush, and stop paying the huge salarys of kelsay denney schobel and Stroud non of them fit our scheme now,

Mike in Syracuse
02-04-2010, 01:15 PM
I see that now.

The NFL is littered with the bodies of guys that have been DC's virtually everywhere. Just because he isn't "accomplished" doesn't me he wont' be solid.

Besides, he was good enough for the Gators and they could probably beat the Bills. :dance2: :dance2:

Mudflap1
02-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Let's rent Porter and Taylor for a couple years... heck Taylor could probably get Maybin going at OLB as his understudy...

Dr. Lecter
02-04-2010, 01:16 PM
seems like a decent hire, but i got to agree with DR lector, im not a fan of this staff at all, and retaining sanders and catavlos was ok, but the rest of these guys seem bottom of the barrel coachs cheap and form KC and college and the CFL, now a DC who has never been a DC in the NFL and may be switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4

with a horrible Dline and a Horrible set of LBers we need to be heavy on D in the draft and heavy in FA as well

Gotta buy a pass rush, and stop paying the huge salarys of kelsay denney schobel and Stroud non of them fit our scheme now,

Stroud could play DE.

Prov401
02-04-2010, 01:17 PM
McCalin better get drafted here.

madness
02-04-2010, 01:18 PM
This staff isn't here to inspire fans, they're here to inspire and teach football players how to win.

Tatonka
02-04-2010, 01:42 PM

They have a OC who is OC in name only and the HC is going to do both jobs, despite having not been a NFL HC for ten years.

Most of the other coaches are not NFL experienced or have been with mediocre results (i.e. Hixon)

I see little to be excited about. Even Sanders has been mostly a 4-3 guy in the past.

couldnt have been said better.. anyone who thinks this staff has a chance in hell of succeeding is just kidding themselves.

6-10 would be a miracle.

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 01:48 PM
couldnt have been said better.. anyone who thinks this staff has a chance in hell of succeeding is just kidding themselves.

6-10 would be a miracle.

I think more along the lines of you then I disagree, but in this case I dont share that.

This team was 8 points away from having a winning record last year.

I like the coordinators better than last year (I consider Gailey the real OC)

the only thing I hate is the head coach selection too.

They coulda gotten Billick or Schotty in here and STILL had Gailey run the offense

Demon
02-04-2010, 01:48 PM

6-10 would be a miracle.

While I agree but disagree at the same time. On defense, I am not sure what type of work this guy can do to help us. He has A LOT of work to do IMO. Our run defense was a joke and we never put pressure on the QB. He has a few bright spots on defense, Byrd, Corner, Florence.... but up front, nobody really.

I am not a fan of DeHaven. I think he was great a while ago but i think the game has changed and with the rule changes, i think he's really out of it. Although, April didn't adjust to the rules well either, so, the ST can't take a big hit i assume.

I think our defense will have a lot of weaknesses and I don't see our ST giving us good field position or even any points.

The offense, i think it will be exciting. Not sure how many games they will be able to win on their own but i like it. I like Cortez, i like Gailey... i like the fact we have a RB coach who worked with Hightower and Wells. They will run the ball and play some trick plays. It won't be "pop warner" offense.

4 wins? 6 wins? 8 wins? I don't know. Probably 6 or 7. But they will be much more exciting.

BloFan4Life
02-04-2010, 01:57 PM
GREAT ****IN MOVE, TRUST ME

Hahaha, you are kidding, right??

The dude can't handle a DC job.

Look at what he did in Washington when he got the opportunity.

2002- Washington had the 5th rated D

2003- Under the control of Edwards, they had the 25th rated D.

2004- He gets fired and they have the 3rd rated D.

More like terrible hire.

madness
02-04-2010, 01:58 PM
I think more along the lines of you then I disagree, but in this case I dont share that.

They coulda gotten Billick or Schotty in here and STILL had Gailey run the offense

Schotty wasn't coming and if there was even crack in that window, Nix would have been all over it. Billick's ego would have destroyed this young team in a heart beat.

Demon
02-04-2010, 02:17 PM

More like terrible hire.

Ouch.

Mudflap1
02-04-2010, 02:19 PM

Totally agree.

Demon
02-04-2010, 02:23 PM

Honestly, i disagree. I don't think Gailey would come under a Billick or Schotty. He was in K.C. was the O.C. and basically was told what to do on offense by Haley and that back fired for him. Schotty would run the same type of offense he's always run, limiting Gailey what he could do. I think we will be a power running team but with the addition of Cortez, i really think they will try to out think some defenses with some formations and trick plays. Something that wouldn't go well with Schotty, Billick or any defensive assistant we would have hired.

Mudflap1
02-04-2010, 02:26 PM
I think Pat's point is that the Bills could've hired a better/more experienced head coach, and Gailey still could've been the offensive coordinator on the staff. And I agree with that.

Before anyone starts up the "then who?" talk, the answer is, we don't know. On one hand, it seemed like to the outside nobody was interested. However, if you listen to Buddy Nix, they had fifteen phone calls a day from candidates whose names would've shocked us. So who knows. I tend to believe something somewhere in the middle. Some guys were not interested, like Cowher and Shanahan, and some may have been, like Billick, Schotty, and whoever else, but they won't publicly say much about it.

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Doesnt really matter anymore.> Gailey is the coach.

I am excited about the possibility of having a good 3-4 if for no other reason that its something different we havent done. I expect major roster turnover, and I will have no problem with that, even though our defense was very respectful this year.

THATHURMANATOR
02-04-2010, 02:35 PM
You mean you correctly reposted Schefter's report? Good work, the Bills just made it official and everything.
Scott can you just leave Pat alone?

I want us all to get along.

Mudflap1
02-04-2010, 02:37 PM
We could've done worse than Edwards. We could've done worse than the Asst. GM hired yesterday. Sadly, it has gotten to the point where I have to measure each hire by "could it have been worse?" If Edwards was good enough for the Gators, then he's probably good enough for the Buffalo Bills. It's probably high time the Bills go to the 3-4 also, just because that's where the division has gone towards. At the very least, it will help the offense by seeing the 3-4 every day in practice.

Demon
02-04-2010, 02:52 PM
We could've done worse than Edwards. We could've done worse than the Asst. GM hired yesterday. Sadly, it has gotten to the point where I have to measure each hire by "could it have been worse?" If Edwards was good enough for the Gators, then he's probably good enough for the Buffalo Bills. It's probably high time the Bills go to the 3-4 also, just because that's where the division has gone towards. At the very least, it will help the offense by seeing the 3-4 every day in practice.

Exactly. I'm just happy we didn't hire Jim Bates.

bigbub2352
02-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Stroud could play DE.
he just doesnt look like he has anything left in the tank to me is all and the way we are paying him, use his money elsewhere in my opinion
maybe 4 yrs ago he could play DE

we need to upgrade our dline

Pinkerton Security
02-04-2010, 03:31 PM

More like terrible hire.

2002 Defensive rankings:
YPG - 5th
PPG - 21st
Passing YPG - 5th
Run YPG - 12th

2003 Defensive rankings:
YPG - 24th
PPG - 25th
PAss YPG - 14th
Run YPG - 24th

2004 Defensive Rankings:
YPG - 3rd
PPG - 5th
Pass YPG - 7th
Run YPG - 2nd

So yes, the stats did dip from 2002 to 2003, but they also lost a ball control guy in RB Stephen Davis and replaced him with the terrible Trung Candidate.

Also, in 2004 they got rid of the aging Bruce Smith along with others and inherited Sean Taylor, Shawn Springs, Antonio Pierce and benefited greatly from the Clinton Portis addition, as he churned out 343 rushes for 1,315 yards, 5 td, & 40 catches for 235 yards and 2 td.

So it might not be as bad as it seems on the surface as the simple YPG stats indicate, theres a lot of factors that go into how well a defense ranks.

better days
02-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Doesnt really matter anymore.> Gailey is the coach.

I am excited about the possibility of having a good 3-4 if for no other reason that its something different we havent done. I expect major roster turnover, and I will have no problem with that, even though our defense was very respectful this year.

I was going to say the same thing myself about the roster. I would not be surprised at a 40 or 50% turnover before next season.

DrGraves
02-04-2010, 03:57 PM
He took the job because he knows there will be a very good chance he will become the interim head coach once gailey gets canned half way through the season.

Mike13
02-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Another surprisingly non bottom feeder-type move. Two in two days! I wonder if this means that Porter and/or Taylor could be stop gap moves to improve the defense next year?

Porter wants to go to Cali and the Miami will always be JT's first option.

trapezeus
02-04-2010, 04:50 PM
2010 bills at this time look like they will end up significantly worse than the 2009 bills. it really is dependent on how quickly the coaches can get players to grasp the changes and if nix and modrak can bring in a stud draft and some key free agency finds.

Without that, this already soft team will use any excuse given to them.

Typ0
02-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Kool-Aid should be hiring Ralph Wilson as it's spokesperson because apparently he makes the best ever. What happened to things were going to change? This is a bargain basement staff made up of people with little or no experience and stretched thin by people having multiple roles. What a joke. I can't even fathom that Shottenheimer wanted badly to coach this organization and they wouldn't even talk to him. Wilson is right, there is NOTHING he could do to drive away dumb ass bills fans.

Nighthawk
02-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Ugh.

Poor staff so far, imo.

2-14 here we come!

How so? I totally disagree...just because they are not "top" names, doesn't mean they don't bring good knowledge and different ideas to their positions. I disagree...I see some promise in this hire. Ummm, Urban Meyers and a VERY successful, Florida University thought highly enough of him to hire him...that has to mean something. I like the Gailey hire and I like his staff...but we won't no anything until they hit the field. This organization does things oddly, but somehow, they might have got it right this time...call it dumb luck!

Michael82
02-04-2010, 09:06 PM
How so? I totally disagree...just because they are not "top" names, doesn't mean they don't bring good knowledge and different ideas to their positions. I disagree...I see some promise in this hire. Ummm, Urban Meyers and a VERY successful, Florida University thought highly enough of him to hire him...that has to mean something. I like the Gailey hire and I like his staff...but we won't no anything until they hit the field. This organization does things oddly, but somehow, they might have got it right this time...call it dumb luck!

Good post! Oh and you're right about Meyer. Here's what he said when he first hired Edwards...

“George is a tremendous teacher of the game of football,” Meyer said. “He has proven himself at the highest level in the National Football League, but his roots started at the college level at Florida and in the SEC. He is a great addition to our staff and will be a great coach and mentor to our players.”

WeAreArthurMoates
02-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Kool-Aid should be hiring Ralph Wilson as it's spokesperson because apparently he makes the best ever. What happened to things were going to change? This is a bargain basement staff made up of people with little or no experience and stretched thin by people having multiple roles. What a joke. I can't even fathom that Shottenheimer wanted badly to coach this organization and they wouldn't even talk to him. Wilson is right, there is NOTHING he could do to drive away dumb ass bills fans.

Did you even bother to look at the coaches or do you just want to wine and ***** like a little school girl. Cavatolos, Sanders, DeHaven, Cortez, Hixon are fantastic pick-ups. D'Anderessis is really the only questionable one. Unlike some of you narrow minded fans, Edwards is a well named coach. If he's good enough for Urban he's good enough for me.

Ground Chuck
02-04-2010, 09:18 PM
What a surprise. Another hillbilly.

Next thing you know, they'll replace "Shout" with "Dueling banjos"

Ground Chuck
02-04-2010, 09:19 PM
The Bills will come onto the field to the theme from Hee Haw.

Tatonka
02-04-2010, 10:56 PM

More like terrible hire.
awesome.. sounds like a perfect bills hire.. so the only thing he has done is make a very good defense awful.. and as soon as he is gone, they are very good again..

so i am sure he is going to make a very bad defense that is not ready to be a 3-4 even worse..

the best part is that we waited weeks to hire this guy.. good call.. who wants a guy like nolan.. or someone who has proved to be anything other than a pile of ****.. this team is such a joke..

chan gailey and Edwards.. clearly the guys that no one in the nfl wanted.. running the show.

Tatonka
02-04-2010, 10:58 PM
What a surprise. Another hillbilly.

Next thing you know, they'll replace "Shout" with "Dueling banjos"

dueling banjos is actually a better song anyway... shout was cool.. in 1940

Tatonka
02-04-2010, 11:03 PM

couldnt have said it better myself. great post.

Typ0
02-05-2010, 04:42 AM
Did you even bother to look at the coaches or do you just want to wine and ***** like a little school girl. Cavatolos, Sanders, DeHaven, Cortez, Hixon are fantastic pick-ups. D'Anderessis is really the only questionable one. Unlike some of you narrow minded fans, Edwards is a well named coach. If he's good enough for Urban he's good enough for me.

Most guys that work in the pro's and go back to college should stay in college.

YardRat
02-05-2010, 04:44 AM
I'm not really thrilled with this one myself.

Typ0
02-05-2010, 04:47 AM
This organization does things oddly, but somehow, they might have got it right this time...call it dumb luck!

You are calling it dumb luck already! These guys have proved zippity and it's already dumb luck. LMAO. This is a horrible joke being played on us. You're confusing your desire (and everyone else's for that matter) for something good to be happening with something good actually happening. You too Mikey and the rest of the Kool-Aid drinkers. We have bargain basement coaches, again, and there is no reason to think the talent will be improving on this team. Welcome to seven win pergatory and that's after a couple of seasons that are much worse--which will be sold to us as rebuilding and neccessary to get the new regime going. I guess that means maybe they can stretch their sorry asses for five or six years before you tools call for their heads and more bargain basement crap to come in and try again.

How can you hold your head high and root for a team that doesn't even have an organization behind it that trys to win?

Luisito23
02-05-2010, 05:36 AM
How can you hold your head high and root for a team that doesn't even have an organization behind it that trys to win?

If it was that easy to switch teams, trust me a lot of us would've been long gone. :doh:

Typ0
02-05-2010, 10:36 AM
If it was that easy to switch teams, trust me a lot of us would've been long gone. :doh:

I understand. It's not that anyone should even want to switch. Heck, knowing the team sucks will add a little more onto any win we can get especially if we can squeek one out against a good team. But let's not fool ourselves either!