PDA

View Full Version : 3-4 Defense.. Here we come (officially)

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 01:12 PM
George Edwards just now
buffalobillscom (http://twitter.com/buffalobillscom)
(http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/)
“Defensively, we will start from a 3-4 alignment,” said new Bills defensive coordinator George Edwards.

cocamide
02-04-2010, 01:14 PM
How does this affect the draft? Will we need to go defense first round? Rolando McClain?

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 01:14 PM
I dont know yet

ByrdsTheWord
02-04-2010, 01:15 PM
How does this affect the draft? Will we need to go defense first round? Rolando McClain?

I say we'll go defense first. Whether we take a DT, DE/OLB hybrid, ILB.

Night Train
02-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Makes me think Schobel & Kelsay are not long for this team.

Hello OLB for Maybin. Could be a career saver.

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Makes me think Schobel & Kelsay are not long for this team.

Hello OLB for Maybin. Could be a career saver.

Neither is Stroud or Ellison, to say the very least.

Prov401
02-04-2010, 01:19 PM
I think we have to go defense with the first pick.

I think we are 3-4 starting players away from making this move to a 3-4, which are alot of players for one offseason.

Right now, I'd go with McClain at 9. That would at least give us a promising LB core with Poz, Maybin, McClain, and Mitchell (though I hope we cut his ass).

Dicknoze69
02-04-2010, 01:20 PM

I think Stroud is likely to stay for at least a year. Edwards coached him at Georgia and Stroud sort of-kind of-not really fits in a 3-4 as either NT or DE.

ZAZusmc03
02-04-2010, 01:21 PM
lets hope our first pick is mcclain. So much for shoring up the oline and qb position in this draft. Im thinking we go d heavy for the whole draft.

patmoran2006
I dont think the 3-4 is a "one year" move for this team.

Gonna take time, especially since we wont be very active in FA.

raphael120
Good, now we can get all these skinny ****s off the team and get some big mean football players.

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 01:22 PM
lets hope our first pick is mcclain. So much for shoring up the oline and qb position in this draft. Im thinking we go d heavy for the whole draft.
Would LOVE McClain

Prov401
02-04-2010, 01:22 PM

Exactly. I think Stroud is gone. He is no where quick enough to be a DE, nor is he big enough to be an NT.

We need an NT that will be constantly double teamed like a Wilfork, or Jenkins. Personally, I think we need 3 brand new starters for our line, and at least 1 new LB.

realdealryan
02-04-2010, 01:23 PM
I would think that, theoretically, our "smaller, faster" 4-3 could flip DTs to DE, DEs to OLB, cut the tiny LBs (or move them back to safety), and keep the LBs that can play that scheme. We just have to find a bigger guy to occupy two blockers in the middle.

We've been railing on Schobel for being too small and watched him drop into coverage from time to time; we've busted on Williams/Stroud/Johnson for not stuffing the run and occupying blockers and watched them rotate out to DE from time to time. Who's to say they couldn't just do this all of the time?

I feel a lot more confident about this than I did that 'no huddle' crap they sold us last offseason.

ZAZusmc03
Good, now we can get all these skinny ****s off the team and get some big mean football players.
With the 9th draft pick, the Buffalo Bills take Rolando "McNasty" McClain.

lol. I really hope that is what we do with our 9th pick in the draft. The guy is a future Ray Lewis type LB.

Rolando McClain is now "Rolled over you McClain."
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/228616-new-nicknames-for-players-to-spice-up-alabamas-football-season

patmoran2006
i think spencer johnson for sure and possibly Wiliams can play DE ina 3-4

Michael82
02-04-2010, 01:24 PM

I don't believe that. With us switching to a 3-4 and this being an uncapped year, I could see the Bills being as active or more than they usually are in FA.

Beebe's Kid

I think we are 3-4 starting players away from making this move to a 3-4, which are alot of players for one offseason.

Right now, I'd go with McClain at 9. That would at least give us a promising LB core with Poz, Maybin, McClain, and Mitchell (though I hope we cut his ass).

I know a lot of people don't like Mitchell, but why? He runs his mouth like an idiot of Twitter, but I take that with a grain of salt.

It seems that when he is on the field he is all over the place... at least "all over the place" compared to our other options, and if we go 3-4 we are going to need all of the LB's we can get.

Seems like we could do a hell of a lot worse than KM, especially when considering all of the $ it would cost us to cut/trad him.

Why does everybody dislike this guy? I am sincerely curious...

Mahdi
OLB is more critical at this point than ILB. We have 2 guys that can play ILB in Poz and Mitchell. We currently don't have too many options at OLB though.

IMO, Brandon Graham should be the pick.

realdealryan
02-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Exactly. I think Stroud is gone. He is no where quick enough to be a DE, nor is he big enough to be an NT.

Have you seen the slowass 3-4 DEs that are successful in this league? Mike Devito for the Jets is 6'3" 300+ and even got a sack or two this year. We're not going to find Bruce Smith.

Mahdi
02-04-2010, 01:25 PM

You have 3 ILBs there.

Michael82
02-04-2010, 01:26 PM
We just have to find a bigger guy to occupy two blockers in the middle.

With our new Assistant GM, say hello to Casey Hampton!

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/551391/80704942.jpg

realdealryan
i think spencer johnson for sure and possibly Wiliams can play DE ina 3-4

definitely

ByrdsTheWord

LOL...Raphael. i love you avatar photo. :limpclap:

ChanGailey

Do you watch football or just talk about it on the internet? Stroud looks exactly like Richard Seymour. Perfect for the 5 spot.

Jan Reimers
LB, DT and DE were needs, anyway. Now we just draft 3-4 guys.

patmoran2006
I think Poz definitely moves to the outside.. Mitchell inside.. Maybin outside and a badly needed ILB (McClain)

and I agree with Mikey, Hampton becomes a FA PRIORITY

mikemac2001
02-04-2010, 01:27 PM
STOOOOOOOOOKED!!!!!

all i wanted was a 3-4 d from whatever coach was hired...im happy with the chan hire now.

Excited for draft and 3-4 welcome back to buffalo

Mr. Pink
Oh boy...welcome to having one of the three worst defenses in the NFL next year.

patmoran2006
Do you watch football or just talk about it on the internet? Stroud looks exactly like Richard Seymour. Perfect for the 5 spot.

Did you seriously just compare Stroud to Richard Seymour at DE?

Mahdi
02-04-2010, 01:29 PM
I dont think the 3-4 is a "one year" move for this team.

Denver was in a worse spot personnel wise this time last year for a move to the 3-4. Result: 7th ranked defense. People also said GB would have a difficult transition, result, 2nd ranked defense.

People really overstate the difficulty of changing schemes. Stroud fits at DE.

Ellison, Palmer, Kelsay, Denney, Schobel are done. Schobel might have a shot at OLB.

dplus47
Vonnie Holliday also becomes a consideration for you guys; he's a good veteran leader and an experienced 3-4 end.

This is an interesting move by the Bills; I think it will take some time to make the switch, so I wasn't sure Ralph would go for that.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
I don't believe that. With us switching to a 3-4 and this being an uncapped year, I could see the Bills being as active or more than they usually are in FA.

I hope so. I think moving to a 34 creates more holes on the roster. Not only will we need starters but we will need to add depth.

realdealryan

Seymour?

I'll take Mike Wright or Ty Warren and be ECSTATIC if Stroud could perform at that level.

Mahdi
02-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Did you seriously just compare Stroud to Richard Seymour at DE?
In terms of size they are actually quite similar. 6'6 310. Stroud is not as fast but he is stronger. He will be a better run stuffer at DE than Seymour but not a good pass rusher which is fine.

madness
I think Stroud is in the middle until someone better comes along. Poz should have been an OLB on a 4-3 but he is definitely a MLB in the 3-4 and still will be calling plays for this defense.

It's interesting that our new DC is a very good LB coach. He's the right man to bring along McClain and covert Maybin to an OLB.

Dicknoze69

I don't think we'll be big spenders, but we certainly will go after mid-range free agents. I think Ryan Pickett is probably the most expensive "splash" guy we would go after.

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 01:31 PM
I hope so. I think moving to a 34 creates more holes on the roster. Not only will we need starters but we will need to add depth.

it does.. short term.

But this isnt no one year and we're a super bowl contender team anyway.. Im fine with it.

Mr. Pink
02-04-2010, 01:31 PM
If we don't move up to land McCoy or Suh don't be surprised to hear Dan Williams name being called as the pick.

Mahdi
02-04-2010, 01:32 PM
I think Stroud is in the middle until someone better comes along. Poz should have been an OLB on a 4-3 but he is definitely a MLB in the 3-4 and still will be calling plays for this defense.

It's interesting that our new DC is a very good LB coach. He's the right man to bring along McClain and covert Maybin to an OLB.
Stroud is too tall and slender to play NT. He will get blown up inside. He fits at DE.

Mr. Pink
02-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Stroud is too tall and slender to play NT. He will get blown up inside. He fits at DE.

IMO Stroud will be as useful in the 3-4 as Corey Williams in Cleveland which is to say not very.

Stroud and Williams are very similar players as 4-3 DTs.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

ZAZusmc03
02-04-2010, 01:34 PM
I've always been big on McClain, But this news officially makes me a part of the McClain Train, or McPain Train...which ever you guys prefer.

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Stroud was looking old and worn down in a 4-3, it will be worse in a 3-4.

I wouldlnt be an ounce surprised if he's gone.

Johnson and Williams are the ends, for now and you work on improving at least one of those.

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 01:36 PM
I've always been big on McClain, But this news officially makes me a part of the McClain Train

no **** dude.

I'm ready to put up a billboard again LOL

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
02-04-2010, 01:36 PM
it does.. short term.

But this isnt no one year and we're a super bowl contender team anyway.. Im fine with it.

So are we going to blow up the roster and rebuild? I heard Buddy and Chan say we are not to far away from winning. It makes no sense.

All of our backup LB's are not built for the 34, and then there is the D-line.

Mahdi
02-04-2010, 01:37 PM
IMO Stroud will be as useful in the 3-4 as Corey Williams in Cleveland which is to say not very.

Stroud and Williams are very similar players as 4-3 DTs.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong.
Stroud and Corey Williams are nothing alike. Stroud is a run stuffer, Corey Williams was a penetrator as a 4-3 DT.

BTW, Corey Williams played very good football towards the end of the season.

ZAZusmc03
02-04-2010, 01:38 PM
no **** dude.

I'm ready to put up a billboard again LOL

Hey Buddy!!!

Bring the McClain Train to Buffalo!

madness
02-04-2010, 01:39 PM
He's still going to be there until somebody better comes along. Stroud himself thinks he'll be making the switch.

Gailey said Tuesday that he is open to going from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense. Stroud has never played in the 3-4 during his pro career, but he's willing to make the switch even if it means playing the physically demanding nose tackle position.
"If that's the case, if I have to go play nose tackle I'll do it," the 6-foot-6, 320-pound Stroud said. "It doesn't matter to me. Either way, as long as I can be healthy I feel I could do well in either system."

ByrdsTheWord
02-04-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm hoping Derrick Morgan will be our number 1 pick now. Morgan, Poz, Mitchell and Maybin as LB. Stroud, Casey Hampton, Kyle Williams up front.

Mr. Pink
02-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Why is Pittsburgh going to let Hampton go when they don't have a legitimate starter behind him and finding a dominant NT is very difficult to do?

PECKERWOOD
02-04-2010, 01:49 PM
The move to the 3-4 makes me happy, but it doesn't make sense because now we have to rehaul our entire defense that actually wasn't too bad last year.

Mahdi
02-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Why is Pittsburgh going to let Hampton go when they don't have a legitimate starter behind him and finding a dominant NT is very difficult to do?
Because they don't usually pay players past their prime. And NTs are not that hard to find. Many of them were low round draft picks.

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 01:51 PM
The move to the 3-4 makes me happy, but it doesn't make sense because now we have to rehaul our entire defense that actually wasn't too bad last year.
It's never made sense to me, I was just told it was coming so I was prepared.

But--- Even if it takes more than one offseason, I think an effective 3-4 in this division is critical. So I like it.

Mahdi
He's still going to be there until somebody better comes along. Stroud himself thinks he'll be making the switch.
He's just guessing based on the fact that he is the biggest lineman on the roster.

My guess is that Lonnie Harvey will be given a shot at the job in TC.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly

Exactly, we should stay with the 43 and replace Ellison, then move on to the offense. Moving to the 34 makes more holes on the roster.

Dicknoze69
02-04-2010, 01:53 PM
He's just guessing based on the fact that he is the biggest lineman on the roster.

I think a few head-scratching moves were orchestrated by Nix with the eventual idea of potentially going to a 3-4. Harvey was one and the first real clue this was happening.

I think Nix was behind the Brohm addition as well.

madness
02-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Our secondary and Schobel weren't too bad last year. Our secondary will stay intact for the most part. Schobel should be traded to a Texas team before the draft for a much needed draft pick. Win-win for Schobel and the Bills.

madness
02-04-2010, 01:55 PM

He's still going to be there... oh, forget it. :banghead:

Mahdi
02-04-2010, 01:56 PM
I think a few head-scratching moves were orchestrated by Nix with the eventual idea of potentially going to a 3-4. Harvey was one and the first real clue this was happening.

I think Nix was behind the Brohm addition as well.
Yeah, I agree,

He actually signed 2 potential 3-4 NTs. Lonnie Harvey 6'3 346 and Rashad Duncan 6'2 315.

Mahdi
02-04-2010, 01:56 PM
He's still going to be there... oh, forget it. :banghead:
Yeah he'll be there to play DE.

madness
02-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Yeah he'll be there to play DE.
...because somebody better came along to play NT.

BillsWin
02-04-2010, 02:27 PM
:jig:

billsburgh
02-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Oh boy...welcome to having one of the three worst defenses in the NFL next year.
it will match the offense then.

methos4ever
02-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Williams is the size of a guy like Jay Ratliff on the Cowboys, who is a 1-gap NT in Wade's 3-4. I don't see why he can't do it with a guy rotating behind that is more of a 2 gapper for run assist....

OpIv37
02-04-2010, 02:50 PM
I like the idea of ditching the c2, but we need at least 5 starters to run the 3-4 effectively, and we currently have no one who can play NT. I just hope they commit and go get the guys we need.