PDA

View Full Version : To be honest, this is the kind of coaching staff I was hoping for.

BillsWin
02-04-2010, 01:41 PM
I really, really wanted Cowher. But deep down inside, I knew he wasn't coming. I wanted the big name assistants, but deep down inside knew Ralph doesn't operate like that.

Gailey came out of nowhere, and at first I was disappointed but after hearing him talk, and looking at his resume I realized that he fits the exact mold of what I thought this team needed. A coach with a winning record as the head man, an offensive background, experience in the NFL as a head coach and an emphasis on discipline and fundamentals.

But I still wanted to see what he would bring in assistant-wise. What I was looking for was experience, and good track record of making their players perform better. Offensive coordinator was bound to be a no name. Gailey was straight forward that he would call the plays at first. But what our new OC brings is a good mind to focus on the running game, learn Gailey's system and eventually take over.

The offensive assistants are looking nice. A wealth of experience, and Cortez looks to be a legitimate QB coach. Which is what we need with the possibility of a rookie coming in.

Offensive line coach seems to have experience. I like it. This offense already seems better off in the direction it is headed than the one it was headed.

Defensively, I love retaining Sanders and Catavolos. Two great coaches with a lot of experience, who have managed to make under achievers perform admirably.

And now George Edwards. Though he lacks major experience as an NFL DC he was to take the Florida job, and he DOES have NFL experience. Quality experience making NFL linebackers perform better than they did the year before.

Plus, we are switching to the 3-4 which is fantastic.

Bottom line, I am impressed that the Bills hired Whaley. Nix seems competent from a football standpoint and it finally seems like the Bills have direction.

This staff isn't all world, but it is an ideal staff to help a young roster who has been allowed to go undisciplined and undeveloped under the old regime finally begin to develop.

Obviously, this critique means nothing until they show it on the field, but we are a good draft away from headed in the right direction, and another good draft away from the playoffs in my opinion.

ZAZusmc03
02-04-2010, 01:41 PM
I couldn't agree more. I believe this is a staff that will have us on the right track this season, and possibly even better the following 2 or 3. Go Bills!

madness
02-04-2010, 01:43 PM
The Whaley hire was a brilliant move. We already have our next GM.

BillsWin
02-04-2010, 01:46 PM
This staff fits the mold of what this team needs. Jauron's staff didn't have the experience or philosophies it takes to win with a young roster.

They didn't have the competence either.

Cntrygal
02-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Fundamentally solid competitive football.... what a dream.

BillsWin
02-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Fundamentally solid competitive football.... what a dream.

:pray:

X-Era
02-04-2010, 06:03 PM
I really, really wanted Cowher. But deep down inside, I knew he wasn't coming. I wanted the big name assistants, but deep down inside knew Ralph doesn't operate like that.

Gailey came out of nowhere, and at first I was disappointed but after hearing him talk, and looking at his resume I realized that he fits the exact mold of what I thought this team needed. A coach with a winning record as the head man, an offensive background, experience in the NFL as a head coach and an emphasis on discipline and fundamentals.

But I still wanted to see what he would bring in assistant-wise. What I was looking for was experience, and good track record of making their players perform better. Offensive coordinator was bound to be a no name. Gailey was straight forward that he would call the plays at first. But what our new OC brings is a good mind to focus on the running game, learn Gailey's system and eventually take over.

The offensive assistants are looking nice. A wealth of experience, and Cortez looks to be a legitimate QB coach. Which is what we need with the possibility of a rookie coming in.

Offensive line coach seems to have experience. I like it. This offense already seems better off in the direction it is headed than the one it was headed.

Defensively, I love retaining Sanders and Catavolos. Two great coaches with a lot of experience, who have managed to make under achievers perform admirably.

And now George Edwards. Though he lacks major experience as an NFL DC he was to take the Florida job, and he DOES have NFL experience. Quality experience making NFL linebackers perform better than they did the year before.

Bottom line, I am impressed that the Bills hired Whaley. Nix seems competent from a football standpoint and it finally seems like the Bills have direction.

This staff isn't all world, but it is an ideal staff to help a young roster who has been allowed to go undisciplined and undeveloped under the old regime finally begin to develop.

Obviously, this critique means nothing until they show it on the field, but we are a good draft away from headed in the right direction, and another good draft away from the playoffs in my opinion.

First, I like what we have done. I do. Its not even close to being what I think we need, but I do like it.

Second, we have a young coaching staff, and young roster where virtually no one knows what it takes to get to the SB. That's just a cold harsh reality. Could it work? sure. Has it so far? you know that answer.

I'm a Bills fan, I will always root, but I will believe it when I see it.

Yasgur's Farm
02-04-2010, 06:34 PM
First, I like what we have done. I do. Its not even close to being what I think we need, but I do like it.

Second, we have a young coaching staff, and young roster where virtually no one knows what it takes to get to the SB. That's just a cold harsh reality. Could it work? sure. Has it so far? you know that answer.I disagree... This staff does have a clue as to what it takes to get to the SB.

Chan Gailey as NFL HC... 2 for 2 at getting his team into the "tournament".
Chan Gailey as NFL OC... 4 for 6 at getting into the playoffs.
Chan Gailey as NFL WR coach... 2 for 2 at getting into the playoffs.

I'll need to do some more homework on the rest of the staff... But just considering Whaley alone... Need I say anything further concerning the Steelers 2 SB wins?

Dicknoze69
02-04-2010, 06:40 PM
The coaching staffs, while sometimes abysmal, have not been the primary reason we haven't been to the playoffs in ~10 years. Our drafting/personnel management is. If we draft/acquire players better in the coming years, we'll play better.

I was at first pretty upset over the Gailey hire and still feel we could have done better, but he's put a solid staff together that I feel is an upgrade over Jauron's staff. That's a win in my book, but we need to do significantly better at acquiring players to really compete.

homeslice5484
02-04-2010, 07:05 PM
What the Bills gonna do at QB BillsWin?

BillsWin
02-04-2010, 07:29 PM
What the Bills gonna do at QB BillsWin?

:pray: Sam Bradford :pray:

X-Era
02-04-2010, 07:48 PM
I disagree... This staff does have a clue as to what it takes to get to the SB.

Chan Gailey as NFL HC... 2 for 2 at getting his team into the "tournament".
Chan Gailey as NFL OC... 4 for 6 at getting into the playoffs.
Chan Gailey as NFL WR coach... 2 for 2 at getting into the playoffs.

I'll need to do some more homework on the rest of the staff... But just considering Whalen alone... Need I say anything further concerning the Steelers 2 SB wins?

The comment was coaching and roster, and we have little to no SB pedigree. Does it matter? Id say no, but then you look at whats happened here.

Nighthawk
02-04-2010, 08:02 PM

I agree and so far my gut is proving to be right...things do look much better now then they did at anytime under Jauron.

BigZ
02-04-2010, 08:25 PM
We're all optimists this time of year.

I think we've got some coaches who have some experience with football men in the front office. That's better than we've had in a while. When Donahue came in we brought in an inexperienced coach who couldn't get the quality guys beneath him. Tom had an ego the size of the Ralph and wouldn't listen to anyone. He got rid of the best training staff we've ever had.

Right now things look much better but we won't know until about December 1.

elltrain22
02-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Great post, by one of the best posters!!:clap: :clap:

justasportsfan
02-04-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm not sure about the Edwards hire. Sounds like when Dick hired Fewell. Fewell who?

As long as Chan doesn't hold punches back by telling his assistants to play it safe and play not to lose, then I guess it can't be worse than when Dick was here.

I'm not expecting much this year but I am excited about the talent we'll be bringing in. Nix has brought in football guys and looks like he brought in guys who are on the same page with gailey........I hope. they brought in guys who are familiar with Gailey having worked with him before. Dicks assistants didn't seem to be on the same page with Dick as evidenced by the change on calls made both offensively and defensively and change in players. Dick wanted Trent and Lynch for example and Fewell went with Fitz and Jackson.

Ground Chuck
02-04-2010, 09:21 PM
The front office moves are about as well as we could have done. I'm ok with that.

This coaching staff makes me want to wretch. All retreads, has-been's, and never-will-be's.

Beebe's Kid
02-04-2010, 11:04 PM
The front office moves are about as well as we could have done. I'm ok with that.

This coaching staff makes me want to wretch. All retreads, has-been's, and never-will-be's.

That's the attitude!!!

Michael82
02-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Great post, BillsWin! Those are my feelings exactly. I wanted Cowher, but I realize we can't stick a gun in front of his face and force him to sign. So Gailey was definitely not on my list. Although, I gotta admit...none of us even thought of him. I like the way he's building a staff to develop this team and hiring guys that can be teachers and happen to be ones that he trusts. Sure it's a lot of his "friends" but isn't that what most guys do? Hire their friends and ones they know they can work with...

Plus the front office moves are exactly what many of us wanted. Nix came in and cleaned house. Sure he kept Tom Modrak, but he's a talented Scout and happens to be a friend of Buddy's. But I love the hiring of a young assistant GM and I love that John Guy is gone. We finally got some football guys running the team. Let's just hope that they can finally get it right. I have a feeling they will. :up:

BillsWin
02-04-2010, 11:39 PM
Well apparently Mikey, Modrak was overruled on a bunch of draft decisions in his tenure here. Including wanting Ngata over Whitner and Orakpo over Maybin.

Just hear say and what was posted on BBMB. I wish I had a link, because there was more that he was overruled on that would piss people off.

I don't mind him staying. Nix is considered a top five scouting talent. Whether or not a competent GM that makes is yet to be seen.

I love the Whaley hiring. Guy was dead weight and needed to be handed his pink slip.

Michael82
02-05-2010, 12:00 AM
You must be talking about this post....

Let me go on record by saying that Tom Modrak has never, ever, been the problem for the Buffalo Bills when it comes to drafting talent to bring in to the organization. Tom Modrak is a well respected, highly regarded talent evaluator, that quite frankly should have been named GM for the Bills in 2006 over Levy and 2008 over Brandon.

As GM in Philadelphia, he was responsible for - Andy Reid, Leslie Frazier, Jim Johnson, Donavan McNabb, Jeremiah Trotter, Tra Thomas, Ike Reese, John Welbourn, Derrick Burgess, Correll Buckhalter, signing Jon Runyan, and the list could go on. Jeff Lurie, the Eagles owner, wanted to sign Tom Modrak to a long term contract in 2000 - 2001, but Tom Modrak was undecided on what he wanted to do. Lurie decided not to wait any longer, allowed for TM (Tom Modrak) contract to run its course, then elevated Andy Reid to Coach/GM.

Here in Buffalo, the list of players he wanted to draft but ended up being over ruled on doesn't stop with Cushing. Read the following list of players whom he wanted to draft but was over ruled on:

2002 - TM wanted Bryant Mckinnie or John Henderson. Tom Donahoe drafts Mike Williams.
2004 - TM wanted Vince Wilfork with the 2nd #1. Tom Donahoe drafts JP Losman.
2006 - TM wanted either of the following: Haloti Ngata, Jay Cutler, Chad greenway. Marv Levy drafts Donte Whitner.
2007 - TM begged and pleaded for the Bills to trade up 5 spots to draft either Adrian peterson or Patrick Willis, Levey drafts Marshawn.

I think Tom Modrak will stay in Buffalo as some sort of College Talent Evaluator.
http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=105448&view=findpost&p=1708863

Then you could go to last year where it has been reported many times that Jauron made the Maybin pick, but Modrak was begging for Brian Cushing.

:sigh:

BillsWin
02-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Yeah, that's the one. Ridiculous. You know how amazing it would have been to have Cushing and Byrd?

Michael82
02-05-2010, 12:04 AM
Yeah, that's the one. Ridiculous. You know how amazing it would have been to have Cushing and Byrd?

Not to mention Ngata in the middle! WTF! :mad:

BillsWin
02-05-2010, 12:34 AM
Not to mention Ngata in the middle! WTF! :mad:

We'd have one of the better defenses out there in my opinion.

Kyle Williams is a suitable backup, Stroud is a monster, Ngata is an absolute player. Cushing is outstanding and Byrd is a ball hawk.

McGee and McKelvin are great. Florence in the nickel.

Not to mention Poz and to a lesser extent Kawika.

:sadwalk:

Billz_fan
02-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Wow, this is what it has come to ? I kinda disappeared after Gailey got hired. Haven't been around here much. Decided to take a look tonight. Dang, you guys are main lining the kool aid :D

Im toasted as far as optimism. Im glad you guys are all gung ho. Whatever gets you through I guess. I personally am still sick to my stomach over this coaching staff. Maybe thats my 30+ years of Ralph kicking me in the nuts, IDK what to do anymore.

Anyway, you guys stay on the Ralph juice :D I will stop back from time to time to see whats going on. Im not gonna drink what you guys are on though :laughter:

John Doe
02-05-2010, 05:18 AM
We'd have one of the better defenses out there in my opinion.

Kyle Williams is a suitable backup, Stroud is a monster, Ngata is an absolute player. Cushing is outstanding and Byrd is a ball hawk.

McGee and McKelvin are great. Florence in the nickel.

Not to mention Poz and to a lesser extent Kawika.

:sadwalk:

These are all nice thoughts, but it just does not work that way.

For example, if the Bills were to draft Ngata (and presumably some other better picks) early on in the Levy/Jauron era, then the better personnel translates to more wins and a worse draft position in latter years so that guys like Cushing are not available to be drafted except by trading up.

You just can't plug in "might have beens" on paper in the space/time continuum and have it work out in an ideal manner. Once you change one thing, everything else changes as well.

Night Train
02-05-2010, 07:08 AM
On paper, it's not nearly the train wreck anyone envisioned.

Still, grade = incomplete . Let's see how the team progresses.

better days
02-05-2010, 07:17 AM
These are all nice thoughts, but it just does not work that way.

For example, if the Bills were to draft Ngata (and presumably some other better picks) early on in the Levy/Jauron era, then the better personnel translates to more wins and a worse draft position in latter years so that guys like Cushing are not available to be drafted except by trading up.

You just can't plug in "might have beens" on paper in the space/time continuum and have it work out in an ideal manner. Once you change one thing, everything else changes as well.

I think the point is that Modrack is a better talent evaluator than he is given credit for.

Michael82
02-05-2010, 11:40 AM
I think the point is that Modrack is a better talent evaluator than he is given credit for.

Exactly!

psubills62
02-05-2010, 11:49 AM
You must be talking about this post....

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=105448&view=findpost&p=1708863

Then you could go to last year where it has been reported many times that Jauron made the Maybin pick, but Modrak was begging for Brian Cushing.

:sigh:

That would certainly be nice if true. But I have a few questions... first of all, how does that poster know what TM was begging for? Second, why does Modrak get overruled so often, yet continues to stay here in Buffalo? Third, if Modrak really has been spot on with some of the picks he's wanted, why don't people listen to him after a little while?

I'm truly interested in the answer to the first question, as I don't post on 2BD so I don't know that poster.

TigerJ
02-05-2010, 03:01 PM
I've seen comments from people who thought the Bills really hadn't changed a thing. Nothing could be further from the truth. On the surface it looks like this coaching staff will have a very different approach to training camp and practice. I think they will demand discipline and effort from the players, and I don't think we saw that from the Jauron staff. There will be an obvious scheme change on the defensive side. I don't think we can know yet what is going to happen on the offensive side of the LOS.

I also think the approach from the top is going to be different. I think Buddy Nix is very focussed. I think he's going to run a more disciplined war room at the draft. In retrospect, it almost seems like Jauron and possibly others would pick a player in the draft on a hunch or a whim. I don't think Buddy will stand for that.

None of that guarantees Nix and Gailey will be able to build a winner in Buffalo, but looking back in seems like Jauron's approach was just about guaranteed to create a loser.