PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Schobel -- NOT a cut candidate

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm researching and working up a defensive story for tomorrow, and came across something in my reserach worth sharing.

A lot of people just assume we will cut Schobel and save the money. Makes sense in an uncapped year, correct?

But the problem is, his 2010 salary is guarenteed. $6.025 million. So there is zero chance he's getting cut.

So if you don't want him in a 3-4, here's to hoping he's traded or retires.

Again. You will see the Bills and a lot of teams cut players without guarenteed contracts this year, because its looking like an uncapped year, meaning there are no salary cap ramifications or "dead cap space" for cutting someone this offseason

(to my knowledge as I'm researching)

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 03:02 PM
I think Marcus Stroud's 2010 salary is guarenteed as well. He got $12 mill guarenteed when we extended him..

So I think he's here in 2010 as well for sure if not traded.

Demon
02-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Who's saying we are going to cut Schobel?

Schobel will retire. Where have ya been?

BillsWin
02-04-2010, 03:19 PM
There will be a lot of new faces on the Bills' defense this year. I can almost guarantee a good majority will be older to be stop gaps, making the transition easier, while we build through the draft.

I have no problem with that. Hampton, Ferguson? Both over 30. Both still good nose tackles.

bigbub2352
02-04-2010, 03:20 PM
bad front office decisions to pay players that age that kinda of money

streetkings01
02-04-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm guessing Kelsay and Parrish are gone.

Night Train
02-04-2010, 03:27 PM
He's an obvious TRADE candidate for a draft pick.

madness
02-04-2010, 03:30 PM
A lot of people just assume we will cut Schobel and save the money.

I guess stupid people deserve press time too.

Ed
02-04-2010, 03:31 PM
I think he retires.

The losing has worn him down, he feels old, he's made a ton of money, and he doesn't want to be away from his family for long periods of time. He was quoted as saying that shuffling them back and forth between Texas and Buffalo is not an option.

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Assume he doesnt retire. If he doesnt, we're stuck with him unless we trade him. Schobel's 2010 salary is $6.020

And Kelsay is due $3.7 million this year, obvious cut candiate.

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 03:35 PM
I guess stupid people deserve press time too.

what is that supposed to mean?

madness
02-04-2010, 03:57 PM
what is that supposed to mean?

It means that if you honestly think the best way to deal with Schobel is to cut him outright... you're stuuuuupiiiiiiiiiid. (whoever you are... don't be mad... be glad someone had the courage to tell you :up:)

The need to write this article supports the fact that there is a plethora of stupid people out there.

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 04:02 PM
It means that if you honestly think the best way to deal with Schobel is to cut him outright... you're stuuuuupiiiiiiiiiid. (whoever you are... don't be mad... be glad someone had the courage to tell you :up:)

The need to write this article supports the fact that there is a plethora of stupid people out there.

The article isnt about cutting Schobel, its about the defense as a whole, and there are sure to be people who think moving to a 3-4 doesnt include Schobel in the plans and therefore should be cut.

And at more than $6 million for 2010, if his salary wasn't guarenteed there would be a good chance of that happening.

BloFan4Life
02-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Who said we would cut Schobel or Stroud?? They both have value but will help our D either way. Why would anyone even think about cutting him

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Who said we would cut Schobel or Stroud?? They both have value but will help our D either way. Why would anyone even think about cutting him

Because Schobel is 32 years old, making over $6 million and we're moving a defense he's never played before.

Marcus Stroud slowed down big-time last year and was outplayed by Kyle Williams. As a matter of fact, Spencer Johnson had as many sacks (2) as Stroud in FAR less playing time.

Are those illogical conclusions to draw from?

I'm not saying either or both should get cut, I'm saying I could certainly see why someone would have it as a consideration.

Thief
02-04-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm researching and working up a defensive story for tomorrow, and came across something in my reserach worth sharing.

A lot of people just assume we will cut Schobel and save the money. Makes sense in an uncapped year, correct?

But the problem is, his 2010 salary is guarenteed. $6.025 million. So there is zero chance he's getting cut.

So if you don't want him in a 3-4, here's to hoping he's traded or retires.

Again. You will see the Bills and a lot of teams cut players without guarenteed contracts this year, because its looking like an uncapped year, meaning there are no salary cap ramifications or "dead cap space" for cutting someone this offseason

(to my knowledge as I'm researching)Dude. You better re-check the "source" of your "research". All you did is read rotoworld, AND you miss read it!

His salary IS NOT guaranteed.

I hope, for your sake, you read this post prior to writing and posting an article based solely on something you misinterpreted. You're welcome.

Ingtar33
02-04-2010, 07:16 PM
The article isnt about cutting Schobel, its about the defense as a whole, and there are sure to be people who think moving to a 3-4 doesnt include Schobel in the plans and therefore should be cut.

And at more than $6 million for 2010, if his salary wasn't guarenteed there would be a good chance of that happening.

Who thinks this? Schobel probably could play a few more years at OLB in a 3-4. It would probably be a bit easier on him physically anyway.