PDA

View Full Version : 34 Defense: Who It Primarily Helps- And Hurts

Midwesternbillsfan
02-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Who This Helps:

A) Aaron Maybin. He's still going to have to sustain his weight at least in the upper 240's and most likely 250-255. But he has a chance to succeed (hopefully flourish) now; hoping he was another Robert Mathis-type that could work at DE seemed very unlikely, even after one year.

B) Leodis McKelvin. Man coverage responsibilities just seem the most conducive to McKelvin's natural ability. McKelvin still has good speed, sufficient size, and fluid hips to turn, to run, and to stay w/receivers; now his head doesn't have to be swimming in any more responsibilities than just 'Stay with your guy. That's your guy; stay with him.' He was never the brightest guy; now he doesn't need to be.

C) Terrence McGee. Some people have this notion that McGee can only 'play in a zone' because that's what he's been doing since 2006. That's bunk; when we first made the transition to a zone-based scheme, the fear was that the 5'9", 190-lbs. McGee was too short and small to be an effective zone cover corner. Well, he did pretty well, and he had an auspicious start to his career in a man-cover scheme from 2003 to 2005, including having an outstanding season in '05 AND receiving his first contract extention in October of that year. McGee can definitely be a good cornerback in any scheme; he's already proven it.

Who This Hurts:

A) Chris Kelsay. His days with the Bills are now over. He's not athletic enough- nor savvy, consistent, or good enough as a pass rusher- to justify a transition to OLB. And I doubt he's going to bulk up to 290 to play DE. Though admittedly he's 6'7"; he could attempt to add 25 pounds. My money's on him being released, though, since he has no trade value.

B) Keith Ellison. There simply isn't any more room for a 229-lbs. starting linebacker; there really wasn't a compelling one to start, even in our Tampa 2 scheme. Not when that linebacker's of questionable starting ability, anyway.

C) Marcus Stroud. He was failing for a good portion of last year just being asked to occupy a single gap; now w/a move out to a 5-tech DE, he's going to need to control two gaps. At 32 turns of age in June, I hope that his career can experience some revitalization because the Bills are going to need it.

Who This Could Hurt:

A) Kyle Williams. Aside from Bryd, Williams is our best defensive player. But a move out to a 34 DE spot raises questions about whether or not his shortness is going to be a limitation for him there. I think he has the tenacity and will to ultimately make it work- but he certainly is no protypical 34 DE (in the Steelers' Aaron Smith mold, for example).

Pinkerton Security
02-04-2010, 03:49 PM
I've been thinking: we REALLY need some ends that can play 3-4 end...idk if Schobel, Kelsay or Denney are strong enough to occupy the blockers that they should. Spencer johnson would probably fit well, but what about the other end?

Midwesternbillsfan
02-04-2010, 03:53 PM
I've been thinking: we REALLY need some ends that can play 3-4 end...idk if Schobel, Kelsay or Denney are strong enough to occupy the blockers that they should. Spencer johnson would probably fit well, but what about the other end?

Denney's a FA, anyway; I expect that his eight-year career in Buffalo has reached its conclusion, too. Spencer Johnson could be a viable, if unspectacular, 34 DE. But ambiguity about a move to a 34 defense being helpful shrouds virtually every member of our front-seven since their new responsibilities will be dramatically different. Johnson won't be asked to penetrate a single gap so much as to occupy multiple gaps; can he?

BillsFanInMass
02-04-2010, 04:02 PM
look how it helped Bryce Paup 19.5 sacks in one year he was invisible on the packers

patmoran2006
02-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Who This Helps:

A) Aaron Maybin. He's still going to have to sustain his weight at least in the upper 240's and most likely 250-255. But he has a chance to succeed (hopefully flourish) now; hoping he was another Robert Mathis-type that could work at DE seemed very unlikely, even after one year.

B) Leodis McKelvin. Man coverage responsibilities just seem the most conducive to McKelvin's natural ability. McKelvin still has good speed, sufficient size, and fluid hips to turn, to run, and to stay w/receivers; now his head doesn't have to be swimming in any more responsibilities than just 'Stay with your guy. That's your guy; stay with him.' He was never the brightest guy; now he doesn't need to be.

C) Terrence McGee. Some people have this notion that McGee can only 'play in a zone' because that's what he's been doing since 2006. That's bunk; when we first made the transition to a zone-based scheme, the fear was that the 5'9", 190-lbs. McGee was too short and small to be an effective zone cover corner. Well, he did pretty well, and he had an auspicious start to his career in a man-cover scheme from 2003 to 2005, including having an outstanding season in '05 AND receiving his first contract extention in October of that year. McGee can definitely be a good cornerback in any scheme; he's already proven it.

Who This Hurts:

A) Chris Kelsay. His days with the Bills are now over. He's not athletic enough- nor savvy, consistent, or good enough as a pass rusher- to justify a transition to OLB. And I doubt he's going to bulk up to 290 to play DE. Though admittedly he's 6'7"; he could attempt to add 25 pounds. My money's on him being released, though, since he has no trade value.

B) Keith Ellison. There simply isn't any more room for a 229-lbs. starting linebacker; there really wasn't a compelling one to start, even in our Tampa 2 scheme. Not when that linebacker's of questionable starting ability, anyway.

C) Marcus Stroud. He was failing for a good portion of last year just being asked to occupy a single gap; now w/a move out to a 5-tech DE, he's going to need to control two gaps. At 32 turns of age in June, I hope that his career can experience some revitalization because the Bills are going to need it.

Who This Could Hurt:

A) Kyle Williams. Aside from Bryd, Williams is our best defensive player. But a move out to a 34 DE spot raises questions about whether or not his shortness is going to be a limitation for him there. I think he has the tenacity and will to ultimately make it work- but he certainly is no protypical 34 DE (in the Steelers' Aaron Smith mold, for example).

Solid :)

OpIv37
02-04-2010, 04:06 PM
I disagree on McGee. He was the only liability on those smashing D's we had back in 03-04. Now, he's gotten a lot better so he MAY be able to play man, but he has never proven he can be good in a man coverage system.

better days
02-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Who This Helps:

Who This Hurts:

Who This Could Hurt:

You forgot to mention the offense under who this helps. The Bills face the 3-4 all the time in the division, so they can practice against each other.

I think the rolling ball of butcher knives that is Kyle Williams will be even better in a 3-4 than he was in the 4-3 & I expect the Bills to switch between the two at least for next year.

Midwesternbillsfan
02-04-2010, 04:16 PM
I disagree on McGee. He was the only liability on those smashing D's we had back in 03-04. Now, he's gotten a lot better so he MAY be able to play man, but he has never proven he can be good in a man coverage system.

McGee was a 4th-round rookie in '03 and just in his second season (and first as a starter once Vincent transitioned to FS) in 2004; that needs to be kept in mind. In 2005, in McGee's third and oftentimes most integral and telling year for any player in the NFL, he had what still stands, IMO, as his best season. He displayed exceptional ballhawking and playmaking ability, and had a better year than even Nate Clements. And now his less than ideal size as a Cover 2 corner is immaterial and he can be asked to do what he did promisingly in 2004 (in his second season; first as a spot starter) and did exemplary in 2005.

bigfish2112
02-04-2010, 04:21 PM
I dont think Kyle williams gets hurt by this at all he will either be backup NT or rotational NT with whoever we get. The bills have to have 2 NT in rotation to keep them fresh.

bigfish2112
02-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Kyle will put 10 pounds on and he will be ok.

bigfish2112
02-04-2010, 04:24 PM
casey hampton is 6ft1 325 and kyle is 6ft1 310 he will be ok with 10 more pounds on him.

Midwesternbillsfan
02-04-2010, 04:29 PM
casey hampton is 6ft1 325 and kyle is 6ft1 310 he will be ok with 10 more pounds on him.

We'll see. He could be successful wherever he's placed because he'll work assiduously and tirelessly in order to try to make it work. But he'll have a host of whole new responsibilities than he's had for four years. So guaranteeing it's going to work is a dubious conclusion.

better days
02-04-2010, 04:32 PM
I dont think Kyle williams gets hurt by this at all he will either be backup NT or rotational NT with whoever we get. The bills have to have 2 NT in rotation to keep them fresh.

I think they will use him as a DE in the 3-4, time will tell.