• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dicknoze69
    Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
    • Jul 2002

Who says we need a 2 gap NT?

I think we're all assuming Edwards wants to run a standard 3-4 defense where the NT has 2 gap responsibilities. Obviously our current personnel doesn't have that huge NT who can do that.

However, we could run a 3-4 much like Dallas which focuses on faster, quicker defensive lineman with one gap responsibilities backed up with big, fast linebackers behind them. Williams, Stroud and Johnson could all contribute in a one-gap 3-4 defensive alignment. I mean Jay Ratliff in Dallas isn't very big and he does great as a one-gap NT.

We need depth but this would allow us to fit our personnel to the chosen scheme while we bring in new players to fit our 3-4.
    Last edited by Dicknoze69; 02-04-2010, 03:56 PM.

God give me style and give me grace
    God put a smile upon my face
  • TedMock
    • Jul 2002

Re: Who says we need a 2 gap NT?

Originally posted by Dicknoze69
    I think we're all assuming Edwards wants to run a standard 3-4 defense where the NT has 2 gap responsibilities. Obviously our current personnel doesn't have that huge NT who can do that.

However, we could run a 3-4 much like Dallas which focuses on faster, quicker defensive lineman with one gap responsibilities backed up with big, fast linebackers behind them. Williams, Stroud and Johnson could all contribute in a one-gap 3-4 defensive alignment. I mean Jay Ratliff in Dallas isn't very big and he does great as a one-gap NT.

We need depth but this would allow allow us to fit our personnel to the chosen scheme while we bring in new players to fit our 3-4.
    I mentioned this in another thread some time ago. Not all 3-4's are run the same way and a big LB, a la Rolando McClain, would make a ton of sense if we're running a 1-gap scheme with our NT. Dallas is a good example of a 3-4 defense that does not run a big 2-gap scheme as its base. I love McClain in any system, but I think he makes even more sense if we cannot go to a 2-gap system.

Comment

• Dicknoze69
      • Jul 2002

Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought of this:

New Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator George Edwards plans to use a 3-4 defense. That'll take a while to come to fruition, says Buffalo Rumblings.

There's a pretty handy diagram there as well to indicate what our defensive alignment could look like.

Comment

• Mathja
        • Feb 2009

different era, but jeff wright played the nose for the 90s bills. not a big plugger at all.

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

Good post, Dicknoze (and I love saying that)

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
            • Feb 2009

Great points, in fact that makes some sense. It may be a little more suspect to the run but man, that would be great for rushing the passer.

Comment

• Dicknoze69
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by WeAreMarshawn23
              Great points, in fact that makes some sense. It may be a little more suspect to the run but man, that would be great for rushing the passer.
              Yeah we'd certainly be more suspectible to the run than a normal 3-4 two gap defense. But unless our personnel changes drastically (and it might), I don't see us running a conventional 3-4 two gap defense.

Comment

• psubills62
                Legendary Zoner
                • Sep 2008

Well, we could probably get by with some of our DL if we run a one-gap system, but we'd really have to work on the LB's. Honestly, I'm glad to see that we got two good LB's coaches, one becoming the DC.

I mean, our LB's this year had trouble filling their gaps when we had 4 DL. They'll have even more trouble filling their gaps with only 3 DL, especially if we move inexperienced guys like Chris Ellis and Aaron Maybin to LB.
                "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Mahdi
                  • Mar 2004

We need depth but this would allow us to fit our personnel to the chosen scheme while we bring in new players to fit our 3-4.
                  Jay Ratliff is 6'4 and is strong as an ox. He is an exception to the rule. Kyle Williams is weak at the point of attack and only 6'1 with short arms. They are completely different players and KW will fail miserably at NT.

Now I know ppl don't like to pay attention to signings of players who were late round picks or UDFAs but Nix signed a guy named Lonnie Harvey during the season.
                  He is 6'3 346 and was a pure NT candidate coming out of college.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

as a short term solution for a season while we fill out our roster, sure. But two things:

1. Our DL does not have nearly the talent that Dallas' does.
                    2. Being undersized on the DL leads to getting pushed around in the running game and being worn down late in games.

Could we get by without a true two-gap NT for a year? Maybe- and with all the holes this team has, we may not have a choice.
                    Is it a good long term strategy? Absolutely not.
                    Last edited by OpIv37; 02-05-2010, 07:50 AM.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
                      Jay Ratliff is 6'4 and is strong as an ox. He is an exception to the rule. Kyle Williams is weak at the point of attack and only 6'1 with short arms. They are completely different players and KW will fail miserably at NT.

Now I know ppl don't like to pay attention to signings of players who were late round picks or UDFAs but Nix signed a guy named Lonnie Harvey during the season.
                      I dont think he's ever played NT before so calling him a pure NT prospect is a reach, he's simply a guy that has the size to potentially do it.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Mahdi
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                        I dont think he's ever played NT before so calling him a pure NT prospect is a reach, he's simply a guy that has the size to potentially do it.
                        I said PROSPECT. He was considered a good NT candidate coming out. Anyone can be projected to do anything, obviously he will have to prove it just as any college player would.

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                          Candidate=prospect=potentially do it.

C'mon DB, no reason to split hairs.

Comment

• bigfish2112
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Mahdi

so casey hampton at 6ft1 325 and has short arms fails miserably you are wrong if kyle adds 10 to 15 pounds he could end up as a NT.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by bigfish2112
                              so casey hampton at 6ft1 325 and has short arms fails miserably you are wrong if kyle adds 10 to 15 pounds he could end up as a NT.

Kyle already added 10 to 15 lbs a year or two ago. Throw 10-15 more lbs on him and I'll be able to beat him in a footrace.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X