PDA

View Full Version : Why we might not go McClain?

kernowboy
02-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Looking at the roster, and considering the switch to a 3-4 defence, ILB seems to be one area where we seem to have more depth than elsewhere.

Both Poz and Mitchell are ILBs and the youngsters Palmer and Harris could easily be converted to ILB.

There also appears to be more depth at ILB in Free Agency than at other positions.

Drafting McClain seems to be reinforcing a position of reasonable strength whilst failing to address LT.

We are more likely to find a starting ILB in Free Agency or lower in the draft than we will be able to find a starting LT

YardRat
02-04-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm all for an LT at #9, but if 2-3 tackles go ahead of us you really have to consider somebody else and see if one drops to you in the second.

Dying_-2-_Live
02-04-2010, 05:38 PM
The first we be a NT... otherwise its going Offense

psubills62
02-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Sorry, but I don't see Palmer as an ILB, and Harris was barely ready to play in our crappy system last year. He's got to make yet another transition to be an ILB?

I personally think ILB is one of our weakest spots. Just because Mitchell has the height and weight to play there doesn't mean he's a good LB.

ByrdsTheWord
02-04-2010, 09:34 PM
If Derrick Morgans there, we better take him.

DrGraves
02-04-2010, 09:58 PM
I would love to take mcclain... sure we have other needs but i'd rather take the sure fire impact from day 1 guy.

Oaf
02-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Look at Cushing, Matthews, Willis, and even Hawk. mclain at 9. Just for our new DC.

ct bills fan
02-04-2010, 11:29 PM
I think it's Bulaga at #9 unless one of the 2 qbs are available at 9. If we go qb at 9, I think we try to trade back into the 1st to get a LT. I know we have a lot of holes to fill, but, if we can somehow get Bradford at 9 (I'm not as high as Claussen) then trade back into the late first rd (it would take our 2 and 3) and get someone like Campbell or Williams I would be thrilled. Who knows, maybe we keep our 2nd and a O-lineman drops to us there. Or maybe we go Bulaga at 9 and draft McCoy or LeFevour in rd 2? I think I'd be happy with either scenario.

gonzo1105
02-05-2010, 03:03 AM
I think your going to see a shocker type pick where we go rush LB. I really believe that we might either take Derrick Morgan from GT or Brandon Graham from Michigan now that we are switching to the 3-4

kernowboy
02-05-2010, 04:05 AM
I think with ILB like Spiller, Washington or Lee might be more realistic targets.

With Schobel, Ellis and Maybin trying to convert, I doubt we'll go for a college DE who we also need to convert into a OLB - unless they have played this position in college. A lower pick such as Danny Batten of South Dakota might be of interest

I see at least 3, maybe 4 DL being selected in the middle rounds, but I think the conversion will be made easier if they are not on the field all the time, so ironically the LT might be crucial to making the transition easier. If a LT can keep the QB upright, then the offence is likely to be on the field longer allowing the defence more breathing time.

tampabay25690
02-05-2010, 07:33 AM
If Derrick Morgans there, we better take him.

I hope not, not big on him at all.
Any big game he has not showed up

psubills62
02-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Looking at the roster, and considering the switch to a 3-4 defence, ILB seems to be one area where we seem to have more depth than elsewhere.

Both Poz and Mitchell are ILBs and the youngsters Palmer and Harris could easily be converted to ILB.

There also appears to be more depth at ILB in Free Agency than at other positions.

Drafting McClain seems to be reinforcing a position of reasonable strength whilst failing to address LT.

We are more likely to find a starting ILB in Free Agency or lower in the draft than we will be able to find a starting LT

I think in the end, LB's are easier to find in later rounds and free agency than LT's and QB's. If a good LT or QB prospect is on the board when we pick at #9, we probably won't go with McClain. If several LT's and Bradford are all picked before us...we will probably go with McClain.

WeAreArthurMoates
02-05-2010, 10:58 AM
If we go linebacker, I almost want Brandon Graham over McClain. Almost is the key word. That's cause I love a guy like Micah Johnson who can be had in the 3rd or 4th.

Don't Panic
02-05-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm all for an LT at #9, but if 2-3 tackles go ahead of us you really have to consider somebody else and see if one drops to you in the second.

That is where I'm at... LT if one is worth be the #9 pick, McClain otherwise.

Bill Cody
02-05-2010, 12:41 PM
That is where I'm at... LT if one is worth be the #9 pick, McClain otherwise.

LT Bryan Bulaga would be the kind of safe solid 1st round pick that we need to start making.

jamze132
02-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Everyone is forgetting the fact that Mitchell sucks.