PDA

View Full Version : Chris Ellis in the 3-4

BillsWin
02-04-2010, 05:40 PM
If I remember correctly, Ellis was worked out as a linebacker for his pro day and possibly at the combine too.

I know he played defensive end in the 4-3 in college, but prior to the draft he was considered a 3-4 linebacker prospect.

six-foot-four, 261 lbs and only 24.

Do you think he could rotate to linebacker in our new scheme?

Dicknoze69
02-04-2010, 05:42 PM
If I remember correctly, Ellis was worked out as a linebacker for his pro day and possibly at the combine too.

I know he played defensive end in the 4-3 in college, but prior to the draft he was considered a 3-4 linebacker prospect.

I think he certainly gets transitioned to a 3-4 OLB and we go from there. If he sucks, he's gone. If he shows promise, keep him. I think the Bills switching to a 3-4 saves his career much more than it saves Maybin's.

T-Long
02-04-2010, 05:43 PM
Where would you put him? On the outside? I don't know what kind of coverage skills he has, b/c Maybin is going to be the one bull rushing.

BillsWin
02-04-2010, 05:43 PM
I figured he WOULD switch. But does he have potential there?

I believe he was rated the seventh best defensive end in that draft, yet he hasn't done well in this league. Maybe if he transitions to OLB, he does well?

Dicknoze69
02-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Where would you put him? On the outside? I don't know what kind of coverage skills he has, b/c Maybin is going to be the one bull rushing.

I think he's Maybin's backup for the time being. Whether our small DE's have any coverage ability is something we need to discover in camps.

BillsWin
02-04-2010, 05:44 PM

Second string behind Maybin maybe? Good depth if he has skills. :idunno:

Mahdi
02-04-2010, 06:04 PM

Yes. He could be a candidate for the OLB spot.

ByrdsTheWord
02-04-2010, 06:27 PM

Does Maybin even know how to bull rush? :chuckle:

Yasgur's Farm
02-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Chris Ellis to OLB will probably be a necessity. 3-4 means Stroud and Williams to DE'S... Them along with Spencer Johnson means we need at least 1 more 3-4 DE in the rotation... McCargo? 3-4 also means we'll need a starting NT along with his back-up. Maybin, Kelsay, Ellis and Schobel (if he returns) need to go to OLB.

Nighthawk
02-04-2010, 07:59 PM
I think this gives him a legit shot to make it in the NFL. LB is probably a better fit for him and he might actually succeed at the position.