PDA

View Full Version : We could get most of the Pats 3-4 D in FA

Mitchell55
02-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Green, Wilfork, Banta-Cain, Thomas, Burgess.

Who would you want

DMBcrew36
02-04-2010, 07:26 PM
I'll take Wilfork. I don't know how many guys have any interest in coming to Buffalo, though.

better days
02-04-2010, 07:40 PM
I downloaded a Pats* podcast to hear their thoughts & they were discussing possible trades. Brady & Wilfork for Romo & Ware..........NO, Brees & Vilma........no......Payton Manning & Dwight Freeny..........well ok.

dplus47
02-04-2010, 07:47 PM
If I were you, I'd take a look at the "non-sexy" players like Vonnie Holliday, Larry Foote, etc. You need bodies and you need vets who have played in a similar system. Wilfork is most likely to be franchised.

How about you trade for Joey Porter? Only half joking here: the TO thing worked out decently for Buffalo and could have been better with better QB & OL play, so Porter could work.

rcd333
02-04-2010, 07:58 PM
wilfork wont come. he hates buffalo because we passed him up for lee evans

Mitchell55
02-04-2010, 08:15 PM

Yes hes mad because he went to a team that he won a superbowl with and went 16-0 instead of the beloved 7-9 every year

better days
02-04-2010, 08:20 PM

If the Pats* don't resign him or tag him, I think he would love to come to the Bills just to play the Pats* twice a year.............if he gets the money he wants from the Bills.

kelly2reed4six
02-04-2010, 08:25 PM
I'll take Wilfork. I don't know how many guys have any interest in coming to Buffalo, though.

If BB keeps burning bridges then more than you would think! Thomas is as good as gone, and Wilfork could be getting there! They may come here just out of spite toward the Pats and a chance to kick their a**es twice a year.

YardRat
02-05-2010, 06:01 AM
I'd take Wilfork and Thomas.

kernowboy
02-05-2010, 06:10 AM
God you talk some nonsense.

There is no way the Pats will let Wilfork walk without two R1 picks going their way. He is a certainly to be franchised.

Thomas has failed at the Pats, so why would he come here?

Burgess struggled as much as Kampman did in a 3-4 so why not focus on our own guys who have yet to try the transition

There is no guarantee that Banta-Cain will be available - rumour has he has agreed an extension through 2011. Whilst he had a good sack total, half of those were actually against us.

Jarvis Green has only been a backup most of his career

Haven't we learnt our lesson picking up Bledsoe and Milloy and seeing the struggles of Vrabel that often Pats players struggle elsewhere

But here's a thought - as we've got a group of coordinators who are clearly coaches first, why not get some young guys for them to coach rather than ageing lags on the downside of their careers?

Ickybaluky
02-05-2010, 10:09 PM
I think the Pats end up keeping Banta-Cain. If not, he is a good player who will attract interest on the market. I think the Pats value him, but aren't going to pay him like a superstar. I think they let him go to market and match any offer he gets up to a point, or let him go. He could get a transition tag.

They probably franchise Wilfork, but if they do it is only to trade him or keep him one more year. They may not tag him, because they don't think he gets more money he wants. I've outlined my thinking on that here (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=3145548&postcount=28).

The rest aren't special.

Thomas is a very talented player, but he is a locker-room lawyer who turns 33 this year, and I don't think he is a good fit on a younger team (and the Pats are younger on defense). When the Pats had strong veteran leaders like Vrabel, Harrison, Seymour and Bruschi he could be kept in line. If he lands on that kind of team he could play well again, but without that strong leadership he is guy with his own agenda and a a divisive force.

Burgess is probably a better fit as a DE on a 4-3 in a rotational role. He really disappointed rushing the passer last year, and may not be the player he was last year.

Jarvis Green was a good backup and rotational guy for the Patriots when they were a stronger team. He is a quality leader and a good influence on young players. However, he hasn't been as effective when called to start (meaning I wouldn't pay him starter money) and he hasn't rushed the passer as well as he did a few years ago. At 31, he probably isn't worth paying a lot of money. He still has something to offer as a backup DE in a 3-4.

Ickybaluky
02-05-2010, 10:11 PM
dp