View Full Version : Kovie traded to the Devils

DMBcrew36
02-04-2010, 07:24 PM
for:

Oduya
Bergfors
Cormier
1st rounder

Kindof a lot for a RENTAL. Giving up Cormier and the 1st is tough for a RENTAL.

Kovie turned down an effin' 12-yr $101 million dollar offer and a 7-year $70 million dollar offer from the Thrashers. Good luck to whoever wants him this Summer.

DrGraves
02-04-2010, 07:29 PM
darcy we need to make a move... we can't compete against the devils now and we already now we cant beat the pens, caps, or sens either.

SABURZFAN
02-04-2010, 07:38 PM
darcy we need to make a move... we can't compete against the devils now and we already now we cant beat the pens, caps, or sens either.

calm down, chicken little. the sky isn't falling yet. :rolleyes:

DMBcrew36
02-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Unless Ruff can get the team back playing 5-man defensive hockey like they were earlier in the season, it wouldn't matter if they got anyone or not.

DrGraves
02-04-2010, 07:42 PM
calm down, chicken little. the sky isn't falling yet. :rolleyes:

I know I know but.... Miller can't stand on his head throughout the playoffs. We have a good team who plays well as times but if this organization wants to be a real cup contender this season we need a few more pieces. I'm not saying we need a kovie or another superstar but we need a more reliable defensemen and maybe someone who can score once in a while too.

RockStar36
02-04-2010, 07:53 PM
I have a feeling NJ will get a deal done with him.

I don't think it's a lot at all. IF they get him signed, they get a top 5 player in the league.

I wish my team had the balls to make a move like this. Instead we'll just hope Stafford hits a hot streak right around mid-April.

DMBcrew36
02-04-2010, 07:54 PM
I know I know but.... Miller can't stand on his head throughout the playoffs. We have a good team who plays well as times but if this organization wants to be a real cup contender this season we need a few more pieces. I'm not saying we need a kovie or another superstar but we need a more reliable defensemen and maybe someone who can score once in a while too.

There's no one out there we can pick up that will make a big enough impact like you're implying. That's just my opinion. Look at how Dominic Moore worked out for us last Spring - it was a waste. We gave up a valuable 2nd round pick and Kotalik for NOTHING.

And again, it doesn't matter if they pick anyone up or not if they're not going to play good, 5-man defensive hockey.

RockStar36
02-04-2010, 07:56 PM
There's no one out there we can pick up that will make a big enough impact to make it worth it. That's just my opinion.

And again, it doesn't matter if they pick anyone up or not if they're not going to play good, 5-man defensive hockey.

I know, I know.

I'm still stewing over last night.

Doesn't help that Kovalchuk stayed in the East either. It just got that much harder for the Sabres.

Nighthawk
02-04-2010, 08:14 PM
I have a feeling NJ will get a deal done with him.

I don't think it's a lot at all. IF they get him signed, they get a top 5 player in the league.

I wish my team had the balls to make a move like this. Instead we'll just hope Stafford hits a hot streak right around mid-April.

I agree...the Devils barely gave up anything. Kovalchuk is a difference maker...those types of players don't grow on trees. I would have traded Vanek in a heartbeat for this guy!

DMBcrew36
02-04-2010, 08:18 PM
I agree...the Devils barely gave up anything. Kovalchuk is a difference maker...those types of players don't grow on trees. I would have traded Vanek in a heartbeat for this guy!

Kovie will be gone in a few months and the Devils very well may have nothing to show for it. They have as good a shot as anyone for a cup, so if anyone were to do it, it makes sense that they did. BUT, again, if they get knocked out, he's gone and the Devils will have lost a top prospect (Cormier) and their 1st rounder.

For teams like the Sabres, Sens, and New Jersey who depend on building and developing players through the draft, such moves (losing a top prospect and a 1st rounder) mortgage an organizations future to a degree. Just my opinion.

chernobylwraiths
02-04-2010, 08:23 PM
for:

Oduya
Bergfors
Cormier
1st rounder

Kindof a lot for a RENTAL. Giving up Cormier and the 1st is tough for a RENTAL.

Kovie turned down an effin' 12-yr $101 million dollar offer and a 7-year $70 million dollar offer from the Thrashers. Good luck to whoever wants him this Summer.

He turned down that offer because it was with the Thrashers. To some people, money isn't everything.

DMBcrew36
02-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Don Waddell talks about the trade.
http://thrashers.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=656&id=59369

DMBcrew36
02-04-2010, 08:25 PM
He turned down that offer because it was with the Thrashers. To some people, money isn't everything.

DUH.

Doesn't mean he isn't going to want $9-10 million/yr on a LONG deal.

chernobylwraiths
02-04-2010, 08:26 PM
In some ways, it helps the Devil's opponents. Kovulchuk won't play New Jersey's defense first game.

chernobylwraiths
02-04-2010, 08:28 PM
DUH.

Doesn't mean he isn't going to want $9-10 million/yr on a LONG deal.

Only time will tell. I can't see the Devils paying him close to that much as well as Parise.

DMBcrew36
02-04-2010, 08:30 PM

It's also funny that he told the Thrashers and Waddell that he "wanted to be a Thrasher for life."

DMBcrew36
02-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Only time will tell. I can't see the Devils paying him close to that much as well as Parise.

You only hit UFA very few times in your career - Kovie and his agent know that. They know that his payday is almost here. He isn't going to sign off on a deal with the Devils before testing the market. He'll go where he has the best shot at a Cup for the most amount of money.

bigbub2352
02-04-2010, 09:11 PM
hope we r looking to deal for domenic moore again

RockStar36
02-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Just to review, the Sabres now would have to go through the following in the playoffs...

Crosby/Malkin/Fleury
Parise/Kovalchuk/Brodeur
Spezza/Alfredsson
Ovechkin/Backstrom

But hey, Vanek might his 20 goals and Derek Roy scored the other night. Awesome.

OpIv37
02-05-2010, 07:55 AM
the more I think about this, the more this ****ing burns me.

The Sabres do NOTHING to try to get better, either at the deadline or when they have the full off-season at their disposal. If they were on an 11 game winning streak like the Caps or Sens, I may not be so concerned, but they've struggled for the last month or so and lost ground in the standings.

Meanwhile, a relatively equal rival like NJ goes out and makes a HUGE move that all but assures a deep playoff run.

If it is broke, why fix it? We'll just keep telling everyone that it ain't broke and maybe they won't notice.

THATHURMANATOR
02-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Can we wait until the Sabres don't make a move to complain?

OpIv37
02-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Can we wait until the Sabres don't make a move to complain?

Absolutely not.

First, a key rival already made a good move to improve.
Second, there are no rumors or indications of a move whatsoever.
Third, this is an area where the Sabres have consistently failed in the past. The onus is on the organization to prove this time is different- until then, fans have every reason to complain.

THATHURMANATOR
02-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Absolutely not.

First, a key rival already made a good move to improve.
Second, there are no rumors or indications of a move whatsoever.
Third, this is an area where the Sabres have consistently failed in the past. The onus is on the organization to prove this time is different- until then, fans have every reason to complain.
I meant everyone else.
It is a given you will whine like a teenage girl.

OpIv37
02-05-2010, 09:27 AM
I meant everyone else.
It is a given you will whine like a teenage girl.

but see, it's not just me. Other people are complaining now too. It's easy to dismiss me as someone who just likes to whine, but now other people are catching on as well and seeing what I see.

BlackMetalNinja
02-05-2010, 09:36 AM
but see, it's not just me. Other people are complaining now too. It's easy to dismiss me as someone who just likes to whine, but now other people are catching on as well and seeing what I see.It's very easy to see that the team doesn't address it's issues at deadline time, that's been the case for a long time now. The team in general is still not as awful as you make them out to be however.

OpIv37
02-05-2010, 10:03 AM
It's very easy to see that the team doesn't address it's issues at deadline time, that's been the case for a long time now. The team in general is still not as awful as you make them out to be however.

my tone may be a little over the top at times but my general assessments are correct. Most of you may take the news better than I do, but is there anyone who honestly thinks this team can beat Wash, NJ, Pitt or Ottawa in a 7 game series at this point?

RockStar36
02-05-2010, 10:05 AM
The team isn't awful by any means. I still have them winning the division, as crazy as that sounds. I just don't know what kind of run they can make now. The East has some pretty stiff competition at top.

Thurm - I'm "freaking out" a little right now because Toronto made moves, NJ made moves, and Buffalo probably won't. They are sitting back and watching while the other teams get the head start.

There are too many on and off players on the Sabres. Say what you want about NJ giving up a lot for a potential "rental", but they made a statement that they are absolutely going for the Cup this year. Have the Sabres ever done that? No.

ddaryl
02-05-2010, 10:13 AM
This team is definitlely not awful.. that is a joke... The team is better then it has been in years as well.

All that being said this team has 1st or 2nd rd playoff elimination written all over it. I recognize the symptoms. They are missing a piece or 2 and that is depressing.

Maybe they get it together and get ultra hot down the stretch and into the playoffs, but their play patterns screams early exit to me.

RockStar36
02-05-2010, 10:15 AM
On top of that, I know Toronto is bad this year, but that isn't going to last long. They have a GM who is determined to build a winner and doesn't have the attitude of any one player being completely untouchable.

BuffaloRanger
02-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Are you saying you wouldn't have given up

McArthur
Hecht (salary dump)
Tallinder
Kassian
late 1st rd pick

For a chance to win the cup this year?

McArthur replaced by Kovy
Hecht by Gerbe
Tallinder replaced by Sekara

Even as a rental the Sabres wouldn't be mortgaging their future with a trade like that.

OpIv37
02-05-2010, 11:25 AM

McArthur
Hecht (salary dump)
Tallinder
Kassian
late 1st rd pick

Hecht by Gerbe

Even as a rental the Sabres wouldn't be mortgaging their future with a trade like that.

Agreed- Tallinder is solid but he's also 31 and his contract is up this year. Hecht is the kind of player that is emblematic in this team- inconsistent scorer, not physical enough (and two years ago I was talking about how he was the only guy on the team doing his job). MacArthur is an average 2nd liner or an above average 3rd liner, at best.

Now, who knows what will happen with Kassian? He hasn't been tested yet. But the only part of that scenario that bothers me is Sekera over Tallinder, which may happen after this season anyway.

DMBcrew36
02-05-2010, 11:28 AM

McArthur
Hecht (salary dump)
Tallinder
Kassian
late 1st rd pick

Hecht by Gerbe

Tallinder has been one of our top defensemen (revived by Myers). He is a UFA this Summer, but more importantly -- Sekera is going to step up into being a top-2 d-man to shutdown our opponents best players?

Losing Kassian and a 1st is also crap considering that drafts are the Sabres life-blood in remaining competitive. We, more than nearly every other team, depend on developing our prospects and draft picks.

I wouldn't do it - I believe it mortgages our future to some degree (losing Kassian who will be a very good player, and a 1st) - but I can see why others like you would be tempted to pull the trigger. But there's no guarantee whatsoever that the Sabres even make it to the Eastern Final if we get Kovie, and Kovie walks after this season no matter what.

RockStar36
02-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Do you honestly believe that Hecht, Tallinder and MacArthur are the future of this team? Tallinder is solid but he's also 31 and his contract is up this year. Hecht is the kind of player that is emblematic in this team- inconsistent scorer, not physical enough (and two years ago I was talking about how he was the only guy on the team doing his job). MacArthur is an average 2nd liner or an above average 3rd liner, at best.

Now, who knows what will happen with Kassian? He hasn't been tested yet. But the only part of that scenario that bothers me is Sekera over Tallinder, which may happen after this season anyway.

I don't think he does, which is why he said that trade would've worked, had Darcy actually picked up the phone.

If it wasn't for HockeyBuzz throwing the Sabres into garbage trade rumors, I would really believe that Darcy has his phone on silent and in his pocket at all times.

RockStar36
02-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Tallinder has been one of our better or best defenseman (revived by Myers). He is a UFA this Summer, but more importantly -- Sekera is going to step up into being a top-2 d-man to shutdown our opponents best players?

Losing Kassian and a 1st is also crap considering that drafts are the Sabres life-blood in remaining competitive. We, more than nearly every other team, depend on developing our prospects and draft picks.

I wouldn't do it - I believe it mortgages our future to some degree (losing Kassian who will be a very good player, and a 1st) - but I can see why others like you would be tempted to pull the trigger. But there's no guarantee whatsoever that the Sabres even make it to the Eastern Final, and Kovie walks after this season no matter what.

I'd be willing to take that risk.

Right now, assuming they don't all of a sudden put it together, they look like a 2nd round team at best. I would at least like to see them try with Kovalchuk.

After this weekend there are 25 more games before the playoffs. That is all I care about. I'll worry about next season when the time comes.

DMBcrew36
02-05-2010, 11:36 AM
I'd be willing to take that risk.

Right now, assuming they don't all of a sudden put it together, they look like a 2nd round team at best. I would at least like to see them try with Kovalchuk.

After this weekend there are 25 more games before the playoffs. That is all I care about. I'll worry about next season when the time comes.

And I can agree with all of that. Like I said - I'm a little more cautious and hesitant with regard to 'going all in', but I completely understand if other fans want Regier to be that aggressive.

But I think we all can agree, as I've said before, that no matter what the Sabres do with regard to their roster, they need to get back to playing a 5-man defense. They need to get back to playing 'their system' that they were playing in the first quarter of the system. It's the only way they'll go anywhere when April rolls around - regardless of what they do before the deadline.

OpIv37
02-05-2010, 11:36 AM
I don't think he does, which is why he said that trade would've worked, had Darcy actually picked up the phone.

If it wasn't for HockeyBuzz throwing the Sabres into garbage trade rumors, I would really believe that Darcy has his phone on silent and in his pocket at all times.

dammit, I misread his post. He said "wouldn't be mortgaging the future." I thought he said "would be." Edit coming.

RockStar36
02-05-2010, 11:42 AM
And I can agree with all of that. Like I said - I'm a little more cautious and hesitant with regard to 'going all in', but I completely understand if other fans want Regier to be that aggressive.

But I think we all can agree, as I've said before, that no matter what the Sabres do with regard to their roster, they need to get back to playing a 5-man defense. They need to get back to playing 'their system' that they were playing in the first quarter of the system. It's the only way they'll go anywhere when April rolls around - regardless of what they do before the deadline.

I totally agree.

Is it just me or all the d-men trying to be like Myers and jumping into the play more and more, which ends up resulting in a crap load of odd man rushes towards Miller?

Lydman did it the other night on Ottawa's first goal and I knew the minute he came into the zone and lost the puck that the Sens were gonna score.

OpIv37
02-05-2010, 11:49 AM
I totally agree.

Is it just me or all the d-men trying to be like Myers and jumping into the play more and more, which ends up resulting in a crap load of odd man rushes towards Miller?

Lydman did it the other night on Ottawa's first goal and I knew the minute he came into the zone and lost the puck that the Sens were gonna score.

I haven't been able to watch much lately, but I did see most of the NJ game and a period of the Ottawa game, and I couldn't believe how many odd man rushes they were giving up.

Myers and Sekera can join the rush, maybe Tallinder depending on the fwd line that's out there with him. But the rest of these guys need to hang back and hold their positions. It was getting really old.

Michael82
02-05-2010, 12:29 PM
What's up with all the early trading? I thought it doesn't get heated up until right before the deadline?

RockStar36
02-05-2010, 12:44 PM
What's up with all the early trading? I thought it doesn't get heated up until right before the deadline?
Roster freeze is Feb 12th until the Olympic break is over, which would give teams like 3 days before the deadline, so many are doing it now.

Michael82
02-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Roster freeze is Feb 12th until the Olympic break is over, which would give teams like 3 days before the deadline, so many are doing it now.

Oh that makes sense. I bet Darcy Regier and Larry Quinn didn't get the memo and will wait until the trading deadline date to make one of those "who the **** is he?" trades.

chubluv
02-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Oh that makes sense. I bet Darcy Regier and Larry Quinn didn't get the memo and will wait until the trading deadline date to make one of those "who the **** is he?" trades.

Thats what usually happens. its the same o same o.

:doh:

DMBcrew36
02-05-2010, 01:46 PM

Did you say "Who the eff is he?" when we got Dominic Moore?

Maybe I just watch more hockey than the average person, but it's pretty hard to pick up a guy where you say "Who the eff is he?", like when the Leafs made Jeff Finger their big Summer acquisition two years ago.

They might not get a player who is going to make a huge impact, but it'll never be a "Who the eff is he?" move.

OpIv37
02-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Did you say "Who the eff is he?" when we got Dominic Moore?

Maybe I just watch more hockey than the average person, but it's pretty hard to pick up a guy where you say "Who the eff is he?", like when the Leafs made Jeff Finger their big Summer acquisition two years ago.

They might not get a player who is going to make a huge impact, but it'll never be a "Who the eff is he?" move.

let's put it to you this way. If the Sabres are going to make a decent playoff run, they're going to need to add a true scorer. A role player isn't going to do it. So if they trade for someone who isn't known by casual hockey fans, there's a damn good chance it's not going to be enough.

RockStar36
02-05-2010, 01:54 PM
I knew who Dominic Moore was, but he wasn't anything more than a role player.

That's the issue. The Sabres have a ton of role players. Look at all the elite teams.

San Jose: Thornton/Marleau/Heatley
Chicago: Kane/Toews/Hossa

I already did some in the East earlier in the thread.

Point it, we don't even have one true goal scorer. Vanek is as close as it gets, and he would be great with another true goal scorer on his line. Instead he gets what is on the roster and his production suffers.

DMBcrew36
02-05-2010, 02:11 PM

That's the issue. The Sabres have a ton of role players. Look at all the elite teams.

Point it, we don't even have one true goal scorer. Vanek is as close as it gets, and he would be great with another true goal scorer on his line. Instead he gets what is on the roster and his production suffers.

The main problem with Dominic Moore, was that he was hampered with an injury when we got him. He broke a bone in his wrist, immediately after being traded to Buffalo. While I will agree, he is more role player than he is natural scorer, I think we would be looking back at him having a much greater impact if he had been healthier.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/story/835260.html

Crisis
02-05-2010, 02:22 PM
http://i.imgur.com/N2XQ2.jpg

OpIv37
02-05-2010, 02:40 PM
:rofl:

DMBcrew36
02-06-2010, 10:48 AM
New Jersey has so few fans, and even less of those fans who even know much or follow their team closely ... I don't think many Devils fans in the tri-state area of New York or in New Jersey really realize who they just picked up - they're oblivious.

chernobylwraiths
02-06-2010, 11:40 AM

I don't think the Sabres need a true goal scorer as much as a true playmaker. Connolly is as close as we have had and he has had his problems. Roy has been pretty bad this year too.

Role players are fine too, but they have to be of a certain type. We have too many of the laid back defensive style players that won't finish a check or be physical in the corners to get a puck.