PDA

View Full Version : Dan Williams?

psubills62
02-04-2010, 09:44 PM
At #9?

Just curious as to your thoughts. It sounds like the staff wants to be able to use both a 3-4 and 4-3. Williams has the size and seemingly the ability to play NT in a 3-4, but has been in a 4-3 up to this point. He seems like a fairly ideal candidate for the NT spot at this point.

Picking him at #9 would probably be a little high at this point. I'm personally against transitioning to the 3-4 in one season, but that's how they're doing it. I hope we get a lot of draft picks...somehow.

DraftBoy
02-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Tough sell to take a guy whose been a consistent 4-3 DT and move him to the NT with no previous experience. Especially in the 1st Round but he could be a potential pick, I think he's a top 20 pick right now, so its not a huge stretch.

psubills62
02-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Tough sell to take a guy whose been a consistent 4-3 DT and move him to the NT with no previous experience. Especially in the 1st Round but he could be a potential pick, I think he's a top 20 pick right now, so its not a huge stretch.

You don't think he could make the switch to NT? It seems reasonable to me, especially if we run a hybrid so he can sometimes play the 4-3 in which he's comfortable. It would be a slower transition than moving to a full-time 3-4.

If we were to draft a pure NT, who would you like to get and what round?

DraftBoy
02-04-2010, 10:58 PM
You don't think he could make the switch to NT? It seems reasonable to me, especially if we run a hybrid so he can sometimes play the 4-3 in which he's comfortable. It would be a slower transition than moving to a full-time 3-4.

If we were to draft a pure NT, who would you like to get and what round?

Im not saying he couldnt do it, Im just saying taking a guy at 9 who has never had to play the position we are asking him to move to is a tougher sell than taking a guy who wouldn't have to switch positions and has proven success at that position.

Pure NT would include;
Terrance Cody-Alabama
Cam Thomas-UNC
Linval Joseph-ECU
Travis Ivey-Maryland
Martin Tevaseu-UNLV
Ekom Udofia-Stanford

Now guys who have the size to do it;
Al Woods-LSU
Charles Alexander-LSU
Jay Ross-ECU
Jaron Baston-Missouri
Abe Koroma-W. Illinois
Kade Weston-UGA
DeMarcus Granger-Oklahoma

JCBills
02-05-2010, 12:35 AM
I think Williams is worth considering if we move back to the 18-26 range.

X-Era
02-05-2010, 05:37 AM
At #9?

Just curious as to your thoughts. It sounds like the staff wants to be able to use both a 3-4 and 4-3. Williams has the size and seemingly the ability to play NT in a 3-4, but has been in a 4-3 up to this point. He seems like a fairly ideal candidate for the NT spot at this point.

Picking him at #9 would probably be a little high at this point. I'm personally against transitioning to the 3-4 in one season, but that's how they're doing it. I hope we get a lot of draft picks...somehow.

Love the guy. Love the strength he shows at the point, the push he gets. I dont see 9, but mid to late round 1 seems likely to me.

YardRat
02-05-2010, 05:41 AM
IMO you don't draft for a hybrid. Any new acquisitions should be tailored for the 34. Run the hybrid because you have guys on the current roster that need to be used, but eventually transitioned out. If Williams isn't a 'true' NT or 34 DE, I don't want him.

X-Era
02-05-2010, 05:56 AM
IMO you don't draft for a hybrid. Any new acquisitions should be tailored for the 34. Run the hybrid because you have guys on the current roster that need to be used, but eventually transitioned out. If Williams isn't a 'true' NT or 34 DE, I don't want him.

Dan Williams- 6-2 1/4, 329 (official Senior Bowl weigh in)

Vince Wilfork- 6-2, 325 (per NFL.com bio)

:idunno:

YardRat
02-05-2010, 05:58 AM
Dan Williams- 6-2 1/4, 329 (official Senior Bowl weigh in)

Vince Wilfork- 6-2, 325 (per NFL.com bio)

:idunno:

There's more to playing NT than simple measurables.

X-Era
02-05-2010, 06:02 AM
There's more to playing NT than simple measurables.

Of course there is.

I just think this is another area where it gets gray. What is the measurable or tangible difference between a 3-4 DT and a 4-3 DT?

Not to different than the situation at OT, where it can be tough at times to determine whether a guy is a LT or RT.

DraftBoy
02-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Of course there is.

I just think this is another area where it gets gray. What is the measurable or tangible difference between a 3-4 DT and a 4-3 DT?

Not to different than the situation at OT, where it can be tough at times to determine whether a guy is a LT or RT.

A LT has to be able to handle speed rushers, if he can do that then he can play LT, there is no set time or agility by which they have to run.

Same as a 3-4 NT, they have to be able to stand up at the POA and hold their ground. If they fail to do that, they can't play the Nose.

There is no set measurable, or time, or bench rep mark a guy has to meet to say he can do this position or that.

psubills62
02-05-2010, 10:14 AM

I'm not advocating drafting him just for the hybrid.

Right now, we just do not have the personnel to run a sole 3-4 system. So we will probably end up playing some 4-3.

The only way I'd want to get him is if the staff thinks he has the ability to be a 3-4 NT. However, since he's only played in a 4-3 up to this point, he'll have to make the transition. It might help that transition considering we'll be playing both a 3-4 and 4-3 this year.

X-Era
02-05-2010, 04:48 PM
A LT has to be able to handle speed rushers, if he can do that then he can play LT, there is no set time or agility by which they have to run.

Same as a 3-4 NT, they have to be able to stand up at the POA and hold their ground. If they fail to do that, they can't play the Nose.

There is no set measurable, or time, or bench rep mark a guy has to meet to say he can do this position or that.

Agree, and theres lots of in between where its tough to call.

Its gray as hell and some (not you) may use this as a crutch to be "against" someone just because they don't like the looks of that person.