PDA

View Full Version : Will we use heavy DEs?

kernowboy
02-05-2010, 04:21 AM
I seem to recall back in the golden day of Phil Hansen and Bruce Smith, that despite being brilliant 3-4 Defensive Ends, neither were particularly 'heavy' in terms of weight, with both rarely over 280lbs

Having looked at the Ends in Pittsburgh, Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel, and Travis Kirschke are all sub-300lbs compared to some other 3-4 exponents who really want their guys above 310lbs. The same is true of the Jets who's starting Ends are in the 285lbs-290lbs.

I think this will impact on our draft philosophy - will be look for LEs who have the size and can move to a 3-4 alignment like Wootten, Dunlap, CJ Wilson, Middleton or EJ Wilson or target smaller DTs who are nimble enough to play a 3-4 DE like Jason Odrick and Vince Ogboohaase?

Personally I'd prefer the lighter end approach and have the defence play with as much speed as possible

EDS
02-05-2010, 08:19 AM
I seem to recall back in the golden day of Phil Hansen and Bruce Smith, that despite being brilliant 3-4 Defensive Ends, neither were particularly 'heavy' in terms of weight, with both rarely over 280lbs

Having looked at the Ends in Pittsburgh, Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel, and Travis Kirschke are all sub-300lbs compared to some other 3-4 exponents who really want their guys above 310lbs. The same is true of the Jets who's starting Ends are in the 285lbs-290lbs.

I think this will impact on our draft philosophy - will be look for LEs who have the size and can move to a 3-4 alignment like Wootten, Dunlap, CJ Wilson, Middleton or EJ Wilson or target smaller DTs who are nimble enough to play a 3-4 DE like Jason Odrick and Vince Ogboohaase?

Personally I'd prefer the lighter end approach and have the defence play with as much speed as possible

Doesn't matter what scheme they use, they need to stop the run.

OpIv37
02-05-2010, 08:24 AM

Bruce played around 270-275. Schobel is 242....

You don't need DE's in the 300 lb range to run a 3-4 but you better be in the 270-280 range.

And enough of this DT to DE or LB to DE bull****- if we need 3-4 DE's, then just draft 3-4 DE's.

Mahdi
02-05-2010, 08:26 AM

Kirshke and Smith are 298 pounds. Its not like they are 280. Keisel is the lightest at 285.

What you notice about those guys though is they are all around 6'5. Having the height and the weight is important to playing the 5 technique and Bruce Smith and Hansen would not be 3-4 DEs in this era of football. Smith maybe just because he was Bruce Smith.

The prototype for a 5 technique DE in today's game is 6'5 285 plus.

Mahdi
02-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Bruce played around 270-275. Schobel is 242....

You don't need DE's in the 300 lb range to run a 3-4 but you better be in the 270-280 range.

And enough of this DT to DE or LB to DE bull****- if we need 3-4 DE's, then just draft 3-4 DE's.
270 is too light for a 3-4 end. 280 is the lightest you can go.

Shawn Merriman is 272.

ddaryl
02-05-2010, 09:26 AM

In a 3-4 that's where the LB's come in. It is the job of the DL to tie up many blockers and let the speed of the LB's make the majority of the plays.

Having a playmaker at End that can also tie up blockers is the real key. Like Bruce Smith who was doubled and tripled teamed, and yet seemed to make th emost timely plays when needed ... except superbowls

k-oneputt
02-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Ok then Carlos Dunlap at #9 and Cody in rd. 2

BertSquirtgum
02-05-2010, 12:09 PM
so with this 3-4 one can only assume maybin is going to be a linebacker correct?

psubills62
02-05-2010, 12:16 PM
so with this 3-4 one can only assume maybin is going to be a linebacker correct?

Absolutely. He doesn't fit any other position.

Mahdi
02-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Absolutely. He doesn't fit any other position.
I think he can play the NT position.