PDA

View Full Version : It simply amazes me...

BlackMetalNinja
02-05-2010, 07:21 AM
How quickly so many people here are able to convince themselves that this coaching staff is good/great. Seriously, if I had said in late December/early January that this is what we were going to end up with, this place would have went berserk:

Head Coach - Chan Gailey
O Coordinator - Curtis Modkins
D Coordinator - George Edwards

These guys have a combined 3 years of experience in their current position at the NFL level... And all 3 of those years came 7+ years ago.

Just about everybody's wishlist read Name Value, Prior Experience... and then, maybe a young up and comer hot commodity trying to prove themself.

Typical Buffalo Bills, we really got none of the above.

ddaryl
02-05-2010, 07:27 AM
It is humorous...

but I think it now comes down to "what the hell can you do about it now" mentality.

This is where most of us go into optomism mode... and we decide it is easier on our psychies to beleive then to be miserable beyond belief every single day in regards to the Bills.

They have to prove to me they are a changed organization. I will be judging this team by what they do in FA and who they draft. If all that goes well I will probably maintain the Sunday ticket and actually watch the team... If they do something stupid or not much then I'll just keep an eye on the team and wait for them to start winning consistently before invest any of my hard earned money into the franchise.

We'll see what happens one way or another, but there is nothing we can do now but obsessively ***** about it

tampabay25690
02-05-2010, 07:30 AM
WELL I think most have to jump on board.
I knew from the begining that Bill Cowher was not coming period.
Im fine with gailey and I was in the begining.

Just like if Mike Vick comes to B-Lo most will be onboard eventually.

Thats just being a Buffalo fan we accept what we get....

WeAreArthurMoates
02-05-2010, 07:33 AM
For me it's just the fact that I think as whole, this coaching is much, much stronger than the one under Jauron. Philosphy wise, it's light years better.

OpIv37
02-05-2010, 07:36 AM
How quickly so many people here are able to convince themselves that this coaching staff is good/great. Seriously, if I had said in late December/early January that this is what we were going to end up with, this place would have went berserk:

Head Coach - Chan Gailey

These guys have a combined 3 years of experience in their current position at the NFL level... And all 3 of those years came 7+ years ago.

Just about everybody's wishlist read Name Value, Prior Experience... and then, maybe a young up and comer hot commodity trying to prove themself.

lmao- a few days ago I was getting grilled for making comments about the inexperience on the coaching staff. Some people can't handle the truth.

The Gailey hire wreaks of the Jauron hire. After Mularkey and Williams, fans were clamoring for someone with experience, and Ralph appeased in the cheapest way possible by allowing Marv to hire his Ivy League buddy. This time, fans were clamoring for a name, and Ralph lets Nix hire his good ole boy, who barely constitutes a "name" and hasn't had NFL success since early in the decade.

And yet again, we have a second-tier coaching staff. And people will defend Ralph by saying "he tried to get Cowher/Garrett/Harbaugh/Grimm but they didn't want to come here," but they fail to realize that the reason big names don't want to come here is precisely because of Ralph's meddling and mismanagement.

jimbledsoe
02-05-2010, 08:07 AM

Head Coach - Chan Gailey

I think everyone has started to warm up to the idea of this new coaching staff because they want to. They want to believe that we have a chance to make a playoff push, or even to play compentative football again.

I know I want to believe. That is why I am on this board everyday. That is why I miss Merl Fest in North Carolina every year because I do not want to miss the draft.

I want to believe. It usually takes a little while, but, I do believe.

BlackMetalNinja
02-05-2010, 08:11 AM
I think everyone has started to warm up to the idea of this new coaching staff because they want to. They want to believe that we have a chance to make a playoff push, or even to play compentative football again.

I know I want to believe. That is why I am on this board everyday. That is why I miss Merl Fest in North Carolina every year because I do not want to miss the draft.

I want to believe. It usually takes a little while, but, I do believe.In years past, I'd probably agree... but this team has just worn me down far too much at this point. I'd like to believe, but the organization seems to do it's best to get the opposite reaction from me. As I said in another thread. I'll continue to cheer for them, and hope for the best, but I'll be damned if I'm going to waste my money and energy going out of my way for them like I have in years past. It would be one thing if I were still in WNY and it was easy to do, but being this far away, it takes considerably more effort to be so rabid about the team.

SABURZFAN
02-05-2010, 08:14 AM
i really don't know these coaches too well but they have a clean slate with me. i just hope they can succeed and get the Buffalo Bills moving in the right direction.

BlackMetalNinja
02-05-2010, 08:16 AM
i really don't know these coaches too well but they have a clean slate with me. i just hope they can succeed and get the Buffalo Bills moving in the right direction.Don't get me wrong, I'm in the same boat... but they aren't exactly inspiring hires. Given the level of demands people had for coaches around here a month ago, I am just boggled that everybody is all the sudden so alright with this staff.

SABURZFAN
02-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm in the same boat... but they aren't exactly inspiring hires. Given the level of demands people had for coaches around here a month ago, I am just boggled that everybody is all the sudden so alright with this staff.

there's enough whining that goes on around here. don't instigate them.

kelly2reed4six
02-05-2010, 08:24 AM

Head Coach - Chan Gailey

Here's the thing. If you can't look at this coaching rehaul and at least TRY to be hopeful, I think you should question your loyalty as a fan. I will be the first to admit that I was negative as can be when the coaching news began to come out. But this is a fresh start. None of us know what is going to happen here, so why not save your self some stress and hope for the best!

OpIv37
02-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Here's the thing. If you can't look at this coaching rehaul and at least TRY to be hopeful, I think you should question your loyalty as a fan. I will be the first to admit that I was negative as can be when the coaching news began to come out. But this is a fresh start. None of us know what is going to happen here, so why not save your self some stress and hope for the best!

Here we go again.

There is a huge difference between hope and expectations.

We're all Bills fans, and we all hope that they finally got this coaching staff right. There's nothing we want more than to see these guys turn this franchise around, make the playoffs, and hopefully win a Super Bowl.

But if you look at this coaching staff, there is no reason to expect that to happen. They range from inexperienced to unproven, and even if they're good at their jobs, they're still working under the moron crew of Ralph, Russ Brandon, and Tom Modrak.

So, while we all hope the Bills do well, some of us can't look at it objectively and actually expect that to happen.

bob86
02-05-2010, 08:30 AM
The condition is called "Learned Helplessness."

It is an ailment in which a person has learned to behave helplessly, even when there are opportunities to help himself by avoiding or even protesting the repeated unpleasant or harmful circumstance to which he has been subjected.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Rather than objectively dealing with the problem, the person rationalizes and states there is nothing he can do about the situation and from there he deceives himself into thinking the problem is not really that bad or that it could be worse. If left untreated, the person moves further and further away from objective reality. <o:p></o:p>

SabreEleven
02-05-2010, 08:47 AM
The closer we get to the start of the season, the more chance that this board will think this team will be in the Super Bowl.

Luisito23
02-05-2010, 08:57 AM
The cycle never ends in Buffalo...Recycle garbage with fresher garbage, 3 years from now we'll be having this same conversation watch.

THATHURMANATOR
02-05-2010, 09:11 AM
lmao- a few days ago I was getting grilled for making comments about the inexperience on the coaching staff. Some people can't handle the truth.

The Gailey hire wreaks of the Jauron hire. After Mularkey and Williams, fans were clamoring for someone with experience, and Ralph appeased in the cheapest way possible by allowing Marv to hire his Ivy League buddy. This time, fans were clamoring for a name, and Ralph lets Nix hire his good ole boy, who barely constitutes a "name" and hasn't had NFL success since early in the decade.

And yet again, we have a second-tier coaching staff. And people will defend Ralph by saying "he tried to get Cowher/Garrett/Harbaugh/Grimm but they didn't want to come here," but they fail to realize that the reason big names don't want to come here is precisely because of Ralph's meddling and mismanagement.
I can't disagree with this or Scott's assesment at all.

I think Daryls above comments though are probably spot on. There is nothing we can do about it so we try to make the best of it.

I can't rip on any of these coaches until they give me a reason, which could certainly happen week 1.

ddaryl
02-05-2010, 09:14 AM

This is our 4th fresh start in the past 10 years and how did that turn out ?

I'm not expecting much.. I am hoping it works out, but on paper there is not a lot to be overly excited about.

there is little chance of stopping the stress of being a Bills fan as long as Ralph is involved...

Joe Fo Sho
02-05-2010, 09:14 AM
My default response is always cautious optimism.

Jeff1220
02-05-2010, 10:27 AM
My default response is always cautious optimism.

I used to be that way, but I've been conditioned into hopeful pessimism.

justasportsfan
02-05-2010, 10:35 AM
maybe we're just happy that we don't have Jauron and it's a positive thing. What's wrong with that? NO one here is even saying playoffs or sb in case you haven't noticed .

DraftBoy
02-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Im far more excited about the new FO than I am about the coaching staff, but because I trust the new FO I have more faith than I normally would in the new Coaching Staff.

I still don't like Gailey but he's got a clean bill for me.

Dicknoze69
02-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Im far more excited about the new FO than I am about the coaching staff, but because I trust the new FO I have more faith than I normally would in the new Coaching Staff.

I still don't like Gailey but he's got a clean bill for me.

This. Nix is in control. The Whaley hire doesn't happen if Nix wasn't in control.

justasportsfan
02-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Im far more excited about the new FO than I am about the coaching staff, .

this is exactly where I am at. I don't think Gailey will get it right next season but he's surounded bu football guys who have been around winning organizations and will help him out.

mikemac2001
02-05-2010, 11:02 AM
3-4 defense

OpIv37
02-05-2010, 11:04 AM
3-4 defense

too bad we're so far off in terms of personnel.

Don't get me wrong- I despise the Jauron Tampa 2 and I'm glad we're making the switch. Just don't expect results until at least 2011, maybe 2012.

THATHURMANATOR
02-05-2010, 11:09 AM
too bad we're so far off in terms of personnel.

Don't get me wrong- I despise the Jauron Tampa 2 and I'm glad we're making the switch. Just don't expect results until at least 2011, maybe 2012.
Agreed but we need to start somewhere. If not this year then we wouldn't have proper personel until 2013

Pinkerton Security
02-05-2010, 11:13 AM
You should get a billboard voicing your displeasure.

If you're going to complain just to complain, then its worthless. If its really that big of a deal, do something about it.

Michael82
02-05-2010, 12:06 PM
It's what makes us all Bills fans....we get burned year after year, but we pick ourselves up and keep coming back for more. If we didn't have that sense of optimism each year, what fun is that? Come on!

As true Buffalo Bills fans, we are used to getting our hopes up, but it won't change the way we feel because we enjoy the start of each offseason. This is the time when we begin to get excited about the team again and hope that we have finally climbed out of the hole on our way back to the playoffs.

Personally, I like wearing the rose colored glasses. I'd hate to keep looking at everything so negatively and hating the team and the new hires, then you don't get to enjoy the ride. I know that it's harder on us optimistic people, because we don't see the 7-9 and 6-10 teams coming. But the hope and excitement at the start of each season makes it all worth it.

Bill Cody
02-05-2010, 12:08 PM
You should get a billboard voicing your displeasure.

If you're going to complain just to complain, then its worthless. If its really that big of a deal, do something about it.

We ordered steak and right now we're hoping for hamburger. People have every right in the world not to sugar coat how they feel. My koolaid glass has been empty for a while. Sue me.

Nighthawk
02-05-2010, 12:08 PM
i really don't know these coaches too well but they have a clean slate with me. i just hope they can succeed and get the Buffalo Bills moving in the right direction.

Exactly...all the *****ing in the world won't change that we did not get a big name coach. I don't have a problem with the hires...never did.

justasportsfan
02-05-2010, 12:09 PM
It's what makes us all Bills fans....we get burned year after year, but we pick ourselves up and keep coming back for more. If we didn't have that sense of optimism each year, what fun is that? Come on!

As true Buffalo Bills fans, we are used to getting our hopes up, but it won't change the way we feel because we enjoy the start of each offseason. This is the time when we begin to get excited about the team again and hope that we have finally climbed out of the hole on our way back to the playoffs.

Personally, I like wearing the rose colored glasses. I'd hate to keep looking at everything so negatively and hating the team and the new hires, then you don't get to enjoy the ride. I know that it's harder on us optimistic people, because we don't see the 7-9 and 6-10 teams coming. But the hope and excitement at the start of each season makes it all worth it.
we could've hired Wanny and Mikey would find a way to love the hire.

BertSquirtgum
02-05-2010, 12:13 PM
maybe we're just happy that we don't have Jauron and it's a positive thing. What's wrong with that? NO one here is even saying playoffs or sb in case you haven't noticed .
exactly what i was going to post. i haven't read anywhere on here that people think we now have a premier coaching staff and we're headed to the super bowl. people have been saying these guys are good coaches and even better teachers. which is what this team needs. a competent coaching staff.

Michael82
02-05-2010, 12:15 PM
we could've hired Wanny and Mikey would find a way to love the hire.

Not at first, but eventually I would grow to support it and love it. :up:

TacklingDummy
02-05-2010, 12:21 PM

It will all depend on what talented players, if any, are brought in to work with. They could turn out to be the next Levy and company or the next Jauron and company.

My bets are they will be the next Jauron and Company. Unless they find themselves a QB.

TacklingDummy
02-05-2010, 12:25 PM

That makes one wonder if its the coaching or if its the players.
Personally I think it's the product on the field.

Go check and see who the QB's were the past 10 years. You might find the answer to why the Bills have sucked.

HAMMER
02-05-2010, 12:28 PM

\
I don't think there are many people left who don't realize Ralph's meddling is the reason.

Bill Cody
02-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Not at first, but eventually I would grow to support it and love it. :up:

Lol. How do you feel about visits to the proctologist?:eek2:

better days
02-05-2010, 12:35 PM

I'm not expecting much.. I am hoping it works out, but on paper there is not a lot to be overly excited about.

there is little chance of stopping the stress of being a Bills fan as long as Ralph is involved...

As a Bills fan, the day Ralph passes is the time to start stressing.

PromoTheRobot
02-05-2010, 12:43 PM

Head Coach - Chan Gailey

I can say the same thing about how certain people think everything is a disaster without knowing anything about the people hired, other than they are not sexy names. But that is par for BillsZone...the manic depressive Bills fan site.

PTR

Typ0
02-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Personally, I would have no problem with anything the team has done if they didn't try and sell it to us as something it's not. That is completly antiquated and inappropriate marketing practice. If they were going to go down the same road again Wilson should have told us the truth. This whole idea of top coaches wanting to come here and not even being talked to irks me quite a lot among a few other things.

If he had just stepped up and said he see's things as tough times and it's only going to get tougher with the pending labor problems I'm going to have to lay low and do what's best. I'm also going to hire from within because I think I have a good guy here who can make the best of the situation we were in. I'd really be on board with OBD given that. At least they'd make me feel like I'm part of this plight instead of the sucker they make me feel like over and over. At least it would give me a sense I was going to be rooting for the 80 olympic hockey team over and over and I could have fun with that.

Instead, I feel like they are snickering at all the money they are getting from us and not delivering what they promise over and over. It bothers me that so many perpetuate this with their attitudes. Finally, the very fact that they just aren't on the up and up says we aren't ever going to get the really good coaches or players. I'm really considering that Donahoe was a scapegoat because he's not the one that's lying to the fans all the time Wilson is.

justasportsfan
02-05-2010, 12:50 PM
This whole idea of top coaches wanting to come here and not even being talked to irks me quite a lot among a few other things.

He tried TWICE. Shanny and Cowher.

Michael82
02-05-2010, 01:04 PM
He tried TWICE. Shanny and Cowher.

3 times. Jon Gruden was their first choice!

PromoTheRobot
02-05-2010, 03:30 PM
3 times. Jon Gruden was their first choice!

And Dungy plus Holmgren. That's 5. People can't get over we didn't talk to Billick. Guess what? No one else did. That tell you anything?

PTR

better days
02-05-2010, 03:47 PM
And Dungy plus Holmgren. That's 5. People can't get over we didn't talk to Billick. Guess what? No one else did. That tell you anything?

PTR

It will be interesting to see if he ever gets another HC job again.

Michael82
02-05-2010, 03:49 PM
It will be interesting to see if he ever gets another HC job again.
I think he's blacklisted for some reason. No one wants to work with him since he was fired by Baltimore...

Typ0
02-05-2010, 05:27 PM

PTR

I don't believe for one second there was ever any serious talks with these people about jobs. And I will never get over that Shottenheimer apparently wanted this job and was never considered. He's a legitimate kick ass coach who has seriously won everywhere he went.

HAMMER
02-05-2010, 06:17 PM
I don't believe for one second there was ever any serious talks with these people about jobs. And I will never get over that Shottenheimer apparently wanted this job and was never considered. He's a legitimate kick ass coach who has seriously won everywhere he went.

Never get over it? A little dramatic.

DraftBoy
02-05-2010, 06:35 PM

Whose done what exactly as an NFL HC?

Most wins ever without even reaching the SB? To be a kick ass coach you better have at least won something.

Typ0
02-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Whose done what exactly as an NFL HC?

Most wins ever without even reaching the SB? To be a kick ass coach you better have at least won something.

I don't agree. It's difficult to win the SB. You have to put a group on the field that makes the playoffs consistently before you win a SB. The blokes we keep getting have never done that have they? Shotty's teams have ALWAYS been in it. Your arguement doesn't mean snot to rationalize hiring Gailey, Jauron,Williams, Moolarkey etc. Shotty's playoff curse is a load of crap the guy just wins period. Wilson should have been kissing his ass to get him here if he wanted it so bad. Peyton Manning was the victim of the SB curse at one time too. If shotty wanted to come here to get over that hump don't be a dumb ass!!!!!! He wasn't pursued because he would have deserved a huge paycheck and actually would have taken the job. What we have ended up getting is the equivalent of a booger on a decade old snot rag...all dried up and then reconsitutued so it could be picked and flicked again.

DraftBoy
02-05-2010, 09:09 PM
I don't agree. It's difficult to win the SB. You have to put a group on the field that makes the playoffs consistently before you win a SB. The blokes we keep getting have never done that have they? Shotty's teams have ALWAYS been in it. Your arguement doesn't mean snot to rationalize hiring Gailey, Jauron,Williams, Moolarkey etc. Shotty's playoff curse is a load of crap the guy just wins period. Wilson should have been kissing his ass to get him here if he wanted it so bad. Peyton Manning was the victim of the SB curse at one time too. If shotty wanted to come here to get over that hump don't be a dumb ass!!!!!! He wasn't pursued because he would have deserved a huge paycheck and actually would have taken the job. What we have ended up getting is the equivalent of a booger on a decade old snot rag...all dried up and then reconsitutued so it could be picked and flicked again.

Peyton Manning is 1-0 in Super Bowls would you like to try again with that one?

Marty has issues winning the games before the Super Bowl, he can't even get there in order to then lose them.

All Im pointing out is that Marty has done squat in terms of winning a damn thing to warrant all this man love for him.

Typ0
02-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Peyton Manning is 1-0 in Super Bowls would you like to try again with that one?

Marty has issues winning the games before the Super Bowl, he can't even get there in order to then lose them.

All Im pointing out is that Marty has done squat in terms of winning a damn thing to warrant all this man love for him.

and before Manning got to the SB all we heard about was how he couldn't get the job done by frigging blowhard haters who couldn't see he was a GREAT QB even though he hadn't gotten there yet. There is not a crappy team that Shotty has gone to he didn't turn into a 12 win team that didn't make the playoffs CONSISTENTLY. You better look at his resume again! We should be appauled he was shunned by this organization in favor of a guy like Gailey not making excuses. How disgusting. The bottom line is Shotty would come here and demand the right tools were put on the field that this team would be competitive. What we got is a few yes men that are ass kissers not guys that will put it out there to get the wins. Your arguement says your perfectly happy with being an 8-8 team perpetually and would balk at consistent 10 - 14 win seasons because the coach has yet to win a SB. DraftBoy, the SB is elusive and hard to win!

Historian
02-06-2010, 06:35 AM
Personally, I like wearing the rose colored glasses. I'd hate to keep looking at everything so negatively and hating the team and the new hires, then you don't get to enjoy the ride.

Following this team through 10 losing seasons isn't what I'd consider a "ride".

It's more like one of those Carnival Cruises where the entire ship comes down with cholera....

:ill:

Billz_fan
02-06-2010, 07:05 AM
I for one an so disgusted by this team that I've taken a break from it all. This is like my 2nd post of the week. I just have had nothing new to say on the subject.

We got total crap again. In fact we got less than we have in the past in talented coaches. We have nothing here coach wise.

This team has blown for 10 years. With recent events they have cemented at least 3 more years of misery. Anyway. Back to my break ;)

Oldbillsfan
02-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Jaroun was never a winner, and it was downright painful to watch the Bills play. Between the front office roster blunders, and the team playng like it didn't even PRACTICE on offense, I'm pretty stoked for the Good Ole' Boy regime. Draft picks will be starers, hopefully they do their jobs. At least Gailey has a winning record and isn't scared of the challenge like Bill Coward. At least the Bills tried to get an icon coach.

Night Train
02-06-2010, 07:45 AM
We're a world of extremes with no middle ground. Many have a dying need to be right.

Supposed final grades on the staff mean nothing until the games begin. Offer an opinion and don't get all fragile if someone disagrees with it.

This staff is at least on par with the last one and could be better. The HC looks like he has an actual plan and won't be lost on gameday, unlike the current Eagles secondary coach.

I doubt there will be instant results but that's to be expected when the O & D schemes are drastically altered. That means a large change in the roster. So my expectations for more wins in 2010 are minimal at best. I wish to see progress in the right direction, with an actual plan that they stick to.

And that's my opinion...nothing more.

Michael82
02-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Following this team through 10 losing seasons isn't what I'd consider a "ride".

It's more like one of those Carnival Cruises where the entire ship comes down with cholera....

:ill:
a roller coaster