My updated mock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My updated mock

Now we've got the 3-4 defence confirmed, I thought it would be about time I made some changes to my mock draft - ie. what I hope Nix/Whaley would do.

I think we might trade down a little in the 2nd and 3rd rounds on Day2 to get some extra Day3 picks to add to our depth. I have however included 3 players being traded:

Donte Whitner for a 3rd, principally because I think Wilson can do his job and he is in the final year of his contract - maybe Cleveland with Pool concussed
    Mashawn Lynch for a 4th (maybe a 3rd) as I see some teams like Seattle with some needs thinking it a decent fix and maybe also offering us something in 2011 like the McGahee deal
    Kyle Williams for a 3rd, simply as he's a really poor fit for a 3-4 defence and I see someone like the Saints looking at a partner for Ellis especially as Clancy is getting old

R1. Bruce Campbell LT
    You could put Bulaga or Davis here. Firstly this pick keeps our QB horizontal whether they be a Free Agent or someone like Brohm or Edwards. Secondly the defence will be better as the offense will be on the field longer

R2. Rob Gronkoswki TE
    A big target for the QB allowing Nelson to use his speed as a slot receiver

R3a. Sean Lee ILB (Whitner)
    Not McClain but still a day one starter

R3b. CJ Wilson DE
    Big enough at 6ft4, 284lbs to hold up against the run and rush the passer

R4a. Linval Joseph NT/DE (Lynch)
    A big guy who can play NT or DE depending how big we want the front 3 to be

R4b. Naaman Roosevelt WR
    Depth at receiver allowing us to let Reed go

R4c. EJ Wilson DE (Williams)
    Another big college end at 6ft3, 290lbs

R5. Danny Battlen OLB
    From South Dakota but at the Senior Bowl he did everything. Not ideal athleticism but just a guy who always gets the job done. Could play 4-3 OLB if we occasionally switched

R6a. James Starks RB
    Back up for Fred-x who'd have gone earlier if not for injury in the senior season

R6b. Jay Ross NT (Peters-Eagles)
    We have nothing in depth so if we want to have two big DEs in Joseph and Stroud we need depth at NT

R7a. Van Eskridge S (Simpson-Detroit)
    A Byrd clone at FS who will give us good safety depth and can play a little CB

R7b. Cory Jackson FB
    Running the football, lets give Fred-x the best chance of getting 1,400yds

I think in this draft we will stock up on the front 3.

Whilst I haven't gone for OLB, I think the team will look to see how Ellis, Maybin and even Kelsay transition before drafting high on a 4-3 guy who will also have to transition

I think think about a developmental QB, but with Edwards and Brohm getting as many snaps as possible under the guidance of Gailey/Cortez, I thought we can get a clipboard holder as an UDFA
    Last edited by Guest; 02-05-2010, 07:28 AM.
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Re: My updated mock

I don't really like the picks too much. Campbell is a boom or bust guy he can be John Ogden and he can also be Mandarich. We need a guy that is accomplished with few holes in his game with our first pick.

Brandon Graham for me is a safe and exciting pick that will come in right away and solidify the OLB spot. I would be happy with other choices as well.

Don't like the TE selection in round 2. Yes Gronkowski is a good player but we stole Nelson last year and we need help at QB and on the lines way too much to grab a TE in round 2.

I like your picks from 3b. on.
    Last edited by Mahdi; 02-05-2010, 07:38 AM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

So you want every ECU lineman that is draft eligible?

ECU ranked 27th in Run D, but 107th in Pass D, and 71st overall...Not much success there to warrant taking all three of their lineman.

Wilson only had 5 sacks last season as an end and neither Joseph, Wilson, or Ross finished in the top 6 on the team in tackles. I just dont see the reason to take all their guys.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mahdi
        I don't really like the picks too much. Campbell is a boom or bust guy he can be John Ogden and he can also be Mandarich. We need a guy that is accomplished with few holes in his game with our first pick.

Brandon Graham for me is a safe and exciting pick that will come in right away and solidify the OLB spot. I would be happy with other choices as well.

Don't like the TE selection in round 2. Yes Gronkowski is a good player but we stole Nelson last year and we need help at QB and on the lines way too much to grab a TE in round 2.

I like your picks from 3b. on.
        Graham is not a number 9 selection in my opinion. There is no way of knowing how he'd transition to the 3-4.

Unless we go R1 for QB, we might as well go with Brohm who I think is the equal of any R2 possibility in this draft and maybe revisit the position next year if necessary.

I went TE, as having lost Owens and Reed, with the need for Hardy to step up and Nelson still being a wildcard, the QB needs a target, and most top teams have two starting calibre TEs

Comment

Originally posted by DraftBoy
          So you want every ECU lineman that is draft eligible?

ECU ranked 27th in Run D, but 107th in Pass D, and 71st overall...Not much success there to warrant taking all three of their lineman.

Wilson only had 5 sacks last season as an end and neither Joseph, Wilson, or Ross finished in the top 6 on the team in tackles. I just dont see the reason to take all their guys.
          Is it my imagination but are DLmen high on a team in terms of the number of tackles?

Comment

• Don't Panic
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Dec 2005

I wouldn't trade Whitner or Lynch. Never going to get equal value back for them. Williams or someone like Kelsay or Denney may be options, as they may be viewed not to fit, but Lynch and Whitner still have upside that we can not equally recover in a trade.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by kernowboy
              Is it my imagination but are DLmen high on a team in terms of the number of tackles?
              The good ones are.

And you didn't answer the question as to why you support drating every ECU lineman despite a mixed bag of results with them.
              COMING SOON...

Comment

• Mahdi
                • Mar 2004

Graham is not a number 9 selection in my opinion. There is no way of knowing how he'd transition to the 3-4.

Unless we go R1 for QB, we might as well go with Brohm who I think is the equal of any R2 possibility in this draft and maybe revisit the position next year if necessary.

I went TE, as having lost Owens and Reed, with the need for Hardy to step up and Nelson still being a wildcard, the QB needs a target, and most top teams have two starting calibre TEs
                Graham is not a #9 selection right now for most, but he will climb the boards and his film and production doesn't lie.

Many are turned off by his height at only 6'1 but he makes good use of it as Freeney does.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
                  Graham is not a #9 selection right now for most, but he will climb the boards and his film and production doesn't lie.

Many are turned off by his height at only 6'1 but he makes good use of it as Freeney does.
                  The Combine may hurt him in all honesty, he won't test great while guys like Dunlap should kill the combine. Right now I have him as a borderline top 20 pick, Id love for him to fall to Round 2.
                  COMING SOON...

Comment

The good ones are.

And you didn't answer the question as to why you support drating every ECU lineman despite a mixed bag of results with them.
                    Because individually I think they are talented players, with the right upside, size and with good coaching could step up. They would be players moving up, rather than those sliding down.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                      • Jun 2009

Your Buffalo area connection of players is cute but I don't want any of those players, especially where you have them being picked.

T-end in 2nd rd. ???
                      I can find many wr's in the 4th before Roosevelt.
                      Same with Starks at rb, and he's coming off of an injury.

Campbell at 9 ? no thanks.

Comment

• Mahdi
                        • Mar 2004

The Combine may hurt him in all honesty, he won't test great while guys like Dunlap should kill the combine. Right now I have him as a borderline top 20 pick, Id love for him to fall to Round 2.
                        I think Graham will lift well and run a decent 40. Probably between 4.65 and 4.72. Which would be fine.

When I compare JPP to Graham there are many differences but one that really sticks out is that when JPP gets into the backfield which he does often, he tends to wiff on the sack or the tackle. His ability to lock in on ball carriers is not very good and he tends to look a bit clumsy.

Graham on the other hand is like a heat seeking missile. Just locks on and blows sh** up.
                        Last edited by Mahdi; 02-05-2010, 08:11 AM.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                          • Jul 2002

Now we've got the 3-4 defence confirmed, I thought it would be about time I made some changes to my mock draft - ie. what I hope Nix/Whaley would do.

I think we might trade down a little in the 2nd and 3rd rounds on Day2 to get some extra Day3 picks to add to our depth. I have however included 3 players being traded:

Donte Whitner for a 3rd, principally because I think Wilson can do his job and he is in the final year of his contract - maybe Cleveland with Pool concussed
                          Mashawn Lynch for a 4th (maybe a 3rd) as I see some teams like Seattle with some needs thinking it a decent fix and maybe also offering us something in 2011 like the McGahee deal
                          Kyle Williams for a 3rd, simply as he's a really poor fit for a 3-4 defence and I see someone like the Saints looking at a partner for Ellis especially as Clancy is getting old

R1. Bruce Campbell LT
                          You could put Bulaga or Davis here. Firstly this pick keeps our QB horizontal whether they be a Free Agent or someone like Brohm or Edwards. Secondly the defence will be better as the offense will be on the field longer

R2. Rob Gronkoswki TE
                          A big target for the QB allowing Nelson to use his speed as a slot receiver

R3a. Sean Lee ILB (Whitner)
                          Not McClain but still a day one starter

R3b. CJ Wilson DE
                          Big enough at 6ft4, 284lbs to hold up against the run and rush the passer

R4a. Linval Joseph NT/DE (Lynch)
                          A big guy who can play NT or DE depending how big we want the front 3 to be

R4b. Naaman Roosevelt WR
                          Depth at receiver allowing us to let Reed go

R4c. EJ Wilson DE (Williams)
                          Another big college end at 6ft3, 290lbs

R5. Danny Battlen OLB
                          From South Dakota but at the Senior Bowl he did everything. Not ideal athleticism but just a guy who always gets the job done. Could play 4-3 OLB if we occasionally switched

R6a. James Starks RB
                          Back up for Fred-x who'd have gone earlier if not for injury in the senior season

R6b. Jay Ross NT (Peters-Eagles)
                          We have nothing in depth so if we want to have two big DEs in Joseph and Stroud we need depth at NT

R7a. Van Eskridge S (Simpson-Detroit)
                          A Byrd clone at FS who will give us good safety depth and can play a little CB

R7b. Cory Jackson FB
                          Running the football, lets give Fred-x the best chance of getting 1,400yds

I think in this draft we will stock up on the front 3.

Whilst I haven't gone for OLB, I think the team will look to see how Ellis, Maybin and even Kelsay transition before drafting high on a 4-3 guy who will also have to transition

I think think about a developmental QB, but with Edwards and Brohm getting as many snaps as possible under the guidance of Gailey/Cortez, I thought we can get a clipboard holder as an UDFA
                          You are against a QB in the first because you are afraid of a bust and you want them to take a project Tackle.???

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                            • Jul 2002

Also giving way to much creedence to an offensive lineman. The defense will be off the field longer because of an LT? Sure indirectly to some degree I suppose but not a major reason.

Comment

• BillsWin
                              man amongst boys
                              • Oct 2008

Tightend in the second round would be a wasted pick in my opinion. Schouman was playing outside his mind before getting hurt, Nelson is developing into a consistent wide receiving threat and Fine is a blocking TE.

If you want to upgrade, that's ok, but we shouldn't do it in the second round. Not when you have so many needs.
                              I am The Batman.

Comment

Working...
                              X