PDA

View Full Version : Anquan Boldin for a third?

psubills62
02-05-2010, 01:35 PM
From rotoworld.com:

Beat writer Armando Salguero expects the Dolphins to "absolutely discuss" trading for Anquan Boldin.

Brandon Marshall isn't a Bill Parcells/Tony Sparano kind of player, but Salguero believes the Dolphins appreciate Boldin because "he's tough, he's big, and he is not a diva." Though the Cardinals are expected to ask for a second-rounder, it's believed that Boldin could ultimately be had for a third.

I would make that trade in a second. Boldin has had trouble with injuries, but he's a Pro-Bowl caliber WR when healthy.

The only problem is, I'm not sure rotoworld's prediction is correct. In a small FA pool, there will be more teams competing to trade for Boldin, I have little doubt of that. Whoever wins may end up paying a second-round pick.

Mahdi
02-05-2010, 01:39 PM
From rotoworld.com:

I would make that trade in a second. Boldin has had trouble with injuries, but he's a Pro-Bowl caliber WR when healthy.

The only problem is, I'm not sure rotoworld's prediction is correct. In a small FA pool, there will be more teams competing to trade for Boldin, I have little doubt of that. Whoever wins may end up paying a second-round pick.
Would definitely do it. He would be perfect opposite Evans. Then again Owens was too.

We need a QB if were going to spend resources on a WR.

TrEd FTW
02-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Boldin would hate it here with nobody to feed him the ball.

mikemac2001
02-05-2010, 01:44 PM
we would have our No 1 WR

trapezeus
02-05-2010, 01:46 PM
the dolphins run a better offense because they actually do stuff that works for their personell. I'm not sure that they have a better qb that makes boldin more dangerous than if he came to buffalo.

Dicknoze69
02-05-2010, 02:07 PM
The competition and necessary contract extension for Boldin will be tough for us. There's a horde of teams who would do a 3rd for Boldin (Miami, Baltimore, Denver perhaps, etc.). Keep in mind the reason that Boldin is unhappy there is because of a lack of contract extension.

I think it's very unlikely we make a play for him. We should be thinking more mid-level guys.

psubills62
02-05-2010, 02:13 PM
The competition and necessary contract extension for Boldin will be tough for us. There's a horde of teams who would do a 3rd for Boldin (Miami, Baltimore, Denver perhaps, etc.). Keep in mind the reason that Boldin is unhappy there is because of a lack of contract extension.

I think it's very unlikely we make a play for him. We should be thinking more mid-level guys.

The contract extension part would be difficult, especially considering what Evans is getting paid. Possible, but difficult.

The advantage we would hold over those other teams is that our 3rd round pick is higher than theirs. Our third rounder is a better value at this point than theirs are.

dogg
02-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Were going to need a WR thats for sure....

Might as well aim high although it didnt pan out while searching for a coach.

Dicknoze69
02-05-2010, 02:15 PM
The contract extension part would be difficult, especially considering what Evans is getting paid. Possible, but difficult.

The advantage we would hold over those other teams is that our 3rd round pick is higher than theirs. Our third rounder is a better value at this point than theirs are.

Yeah but I could certainly see a few of those teams trumping our 3rd with their 2nd. The Ravens in particular are said to be hot after Boldin.

Trading a 2nd for Boldin right now is what a team on the brink of contention would do. We are not that team.

Mitchell55
02-05-2010, 02:22 PM
the dolphins run a better offense because they actually do stuff that works for their personell. I'm not sure that they have a better qb that makes boldin more dangerous than if he came to buffalo.

Actually thats the type of coach Gailey is. He already said that he runs no certain type of offense, he evaluates his players and runs whats best for there strengths

Ingtar33
02-05-2010, 02:38 PM
yeah. Boldin is forcing the trade, he wants to be paid Larry Fitzgerald money. If you trade for him, expect the same money demands

ddaryl
02-05-2010, 02:44 PM
This is what top free agents / players see when they look at the Bills

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTU3NTUzNjE5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTc3NDk2._V1._SX378_SY270_.jpg

Until we develope are own, and show off some intelligent coaching and start winning consistently we're not going to be in play for most of the coveted players.

I could see us getting a guy like Vick here (and I do not want that to ever happen), because most of the league wants nothing to do with him.. kind of like TO

better days
02-05-2010, 02:51 PM
At the end of the day, just like Vick, Bolden will have the final say where he goes. If he doesn't want to go to a team, he just has to refuse to sign an extension. A 3rd for one year does not look all that appealing. The Cards should have either resigned him or traded him last year.

Michael82
02-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Seeing how we have his old receiver coach, I have a feeling that we will be keeping Josh Reed. plus I bet James Hardy will flourish under the new offensive system, once he has a good QB throwing to him. And don't forget about Steve Johnson. And Lee Evans will definitely get the ball a lot more now that we actually have someone competent running the offense!

psubills62
02-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Seeing how we have his old receiver coach, I have a feeling that we will be keeping Josh Reed. plus I bet James Hardy will flourish under the new offensive system, once he has a good QB throwing to him. And don't forget about Steve Johnson. And Lee Evans will definitely get the ball a lot more now that we actually have someone competent running the offense!

I personally hope we bring in at least one new WR. Maybe Freddie Barnes as a slot WR, or guys like Eric Decker or Blair White to compete for the flanker spot.

Luisito23
02-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Get a QB first! :mehmeh:

BillsWin
02-05-2010, 05:40 PM
I'd give a third for Boldin. i have been contemplating Golden Tate in the second. But, Boldin for a third would be great.

Imagine if the draft went like so: Bradford, best left tackle available, third used for Boldin.

I like.

BillsWin
02-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Even Clausen at nine would be great with a player like Boldin next to Evans.

As long as we get them protection. Doubt it happens though.

Ingtar33
02-05-2010, 06:10 PM
I'd give a third for Boldin. i have been contemplating Golden Tate in the second. But, Boldin for a third would be great.

Imagine if the draft went like so: Bradford, best left tackle available, third used for Boldin.

I like.

Golden Tate won't make it past pick 20... probably will be gone by pick 15, he's not falling into round 2 unless his 40 time really disappoints people.

this is also the last year in Boldin's contract. it will be a 3rd for a 1 year rental

methos4ever
02-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Golden Tate won't make it past pick 20... probably will be gone by pick 15, he's not falling into round 2 unless his 40 time really disappoints people.

this is also the last year in Boldin's contract. it will be a 3rd for a 1 year rental
Most likely anyone trading for him will be extending his contract. Especially if he's still with Drew Rosenhaus. He wouldn't let him go into the last year hanging free.

Ingtar33
02-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Most likely anyone trading for him will be extending his contract. Especially if he's still with Drew Rosenhaus. He wouldn't let him go into the last year hanging free.

yes... but as i said in an earlier post. he wants to be paid what Larry Fitzgerald is being paid.

so you are getting a 1 year rental unless you want to give him 10 mil a season for the next 4 years.

DraftBoy
02-05-2010, 06:37 PM

He may run one of the slower 40 times, I wouldnt expect him to be a blazer, if he runs in the upper half of the pack Ill be slightly surprised.

justasportsfan
02-05-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm not sure that they have a better qb that makes boldin more dangerous than if he came to buffalo.
are you crazy? their qb is better than our qbs combined. I wish we had Henne.

soapman
02-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Peerless Price 2.0...

Dying_-2-_Live
02-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Meh, Id rather use that pick to draft a young guy at WR... or use it do a trade up of some sort.

Ickybaluky
02-05-2010, 09:30 PM
yes... but as i said in an earlier post. he wants to be paid what Larry Fitzgerald is being paid.

so you are getting a 1 year rental unless you want to give him 10 mil a season for the next 4 years.

This is definitely part of it. He wants a new contract for big money, and that hurts his value. He wants big money.

The other thing is he has injury concerns. He is a tough guy who will play with pain and has in his career, but he is always banged up. Part of that is his style of play. He is a great run after catch guy and takes on a lot of contact. He is like a RB once he gets the ball in his hand.

However, there is a cost to that style of play. Boldin is very physical because he isn't very fast and that is what makes him successful. However, he doesn't have a lot of speed to lose, so when he loses a step his numbers will suffer because he doesn't get a lot of separation anyway. I think teams will be scared about giving a player like that a big contract at age 29 (he will turn 30 this season), and end up paying big money for his declining years. Given the pounding and leg injuries he has had, that is a concern.

That said, he still seems like a good deal for a 3rd round pick. His production is there, certainly worth that kind of pick. However, I'd almost trade the pick and just hold onto him for 1 year, if you don't think he will hold out. I wouldn't want to invest big money in him.

Luisito23
02-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Wow, I didn't know Boldin was that old...You don't trade, and give huge contracts for someone who is injury-prone, and his age. :crazy:

THRILLHO
02-05-2010, 11:42 PM
We just had 2 starting caliber WRs on our team this past year. Lee Evans, and T.O. How would you say they did? Terrible? Yeah, me too. The cool thing is, we got T.O. for nothing. Boldin will cost atleast a third. With our current team, he would do no more, to just slightly better than T.O. And he would cause 10X the distractions T.O. did. Then comes the money. And the fact we give up a third, when in reality, on a team like this, we need all the picks we can get. Last off season, I would of JUMPED on Boldin for a third, or even second. But not after we saw what happened this past season.

BertSquirtgum
02-06-2010, 12:45 AM
i think we need our draft picks more than we need gimpy boldin. luis, he's only 29. he's not a senoir citizen but he is definitely injury prone. i think he would be even more so on a cold weather team.

ServoBillieves
02-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Evans, Hardy, Reeds old college coach around the helm, Johnson, maybe Owens, maybe Parrish. Boldin is unnecessary to give anything up for. Pick up Avant or a late rounder if anything.