PDA

View Full Version : Rex Ryan and Tampering

gonzo1105
02-05-2010, 02:32 PM
I know that peopled have heard of the pro bowl tampering accusation about Asoumagha with Ryan. I was reading the Glazer report about Ryan getting heckled at the MMA event. Then towards the end of the read, Glazer reports sitting there with Patrick Willis of SF and Trent Cole of the Eagles. This got me thinking that how can a guy who is a head coach of an organization be hanging out with two other NFL players on different teams. I know i'm probably overblowing things and nothing probably occured but after the one incident this peaked my interest into something the NFL should at least investigate.

T-Long
02-05-2010, 02:41 PM
I think they can hang out but can't discuss coming and playing on his team. I bet it happens all the time, there is just a problem when those talks leak to the media.

TigerJ
02-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Very interesting. By the way, the word you want is "piqued," not "peaked."

Beebe's Kid
02-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Jinkies!! We might be on to something here!!

Wow, it would be nice if we were relevant again...sigh. Tampering? Really? They are in a very small, elite fraternity, being employed in the NFL... They were at an MMA event not huddled in some back room of the Jets practice facility.

better days
02-05-2010, 02:58 PM
I think they can hang out but can't discuss coming and playing on his team. I bet it happens all the time, there is just a problem when those talks leak to the media.

I agree, I am sure if an agent represents both a player & HC he will steer that player to that team if the HC wants him.

OpIv37
02-05-2010, 03:04 PM
I know that peopled have heard of the pro bowl tampering accusation about Asoumagha with Ryan. I was reading the Glazer report about Ryan getting heckled at the MMA event. Then towards the end of the read, Glazer reports sitting there with Patrick Willis of SF and Trent Cole of the Eagles. This got me thinking that how can a guy who is a head coach of an organization be hanging out with two other NFL players on different teams. I know i'm probably overblowing things and nothing probably occured but after the one incident this peaked my interest into something the NFL should at least investigate.

Are either of them FA's? I don't think it's possible to tamper with a player whose contract isn't due to expire anytime soon.

Also, the NFL has a sort of "see no evil hear no evil speak no evil" approach to tampering. They really do nothing unless a team complains. There is rampant tampering between agents and coaches/GM's at the scouting combine EVERY year. Officially, the agents are there to represent the rookies and the coaches/GMs are there to scout the rookies, but of course the agents represent existing players too.

Ever notice how some big name FA always signs at 12:01 AM on the first day of free agency? I guarantee you they didn't hammer out a 5 year, $60 million contract in 60 seconds.

gonzo1105
02-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Like I said i'm sure i'm overblowing stuff but I was just curious about it and it happened right after the pro bowl thing. I'm sure that players do hang out but Asoughma wasn't a FA either

psubills62
02-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Are either of them FA's? I don't think it's possible to tamper with a player whose contract isn't due to expire anytime soon.

Also, the NFL has a sort of "see no evil hear no evil speak no evil" approach to tampering. They really do nothing unless a team complains. There is rampant tampering between agents and coaches/GM's at the scouting combine EVERY year. Officially, the agents are there to represent the rookies and the coaches/GMs are there to scout the rookies, but of course the agents represent existing players too.

Ever notice how some big name FA always signs at 12:01 AM on the first day of free agency? I guarantee you they didn't hammer out a 5 year, $60 million contract in 60 seconds.

Actually, I believe tampering is talking to anyone under contract with another team about trading for them or signing them to a new contract. It's just that no one usually tampers with guys who have 2+ years left on their contracts.

You're right, though, tampering happens all the time.

BuffaloBlitz83
02-05-2010, 03:25 PM
They are all either MMA fans or MMA practitioners.