PDA

View Full Version : Pats won't use coordinators this season.

BillsWin
02-05-2010, 09:24 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/10214/pats-wont-have-any-coordinators-in-2010

Here's a way for Bill Belichick and Amos Alonzo Stagg to be mentioned in the same sentence.

In a move straight out of the leather-helmet era, the New England Patriots have revealed they won't have any coordinators for 2010 (http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=41808&pcid=41). No offensive, no defensive, no special teams.

The news came to light on the team's official Web site. The Patriots didn't have an offensive coordinator last year. They parted ways with defensive coordinator Dean Pees last month and apparently won't replace him, choosing to spread the duties with no designated helmsman.

The division is ours ladies and gents! :couch:

Crisis
02-05-2010, 09:29 PM
BB has a bigger ego than MBB!

Crisis
02-05-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm surprised they didnt make a run at bobby april though, think it's been said a few times that the only thing new england ever worries about when they play us is our special teams.

Typ0
02-05-2010, 09:33 PM
It's about time another team in our division does something completely stupid. That has been exclusively reserved to the Bills since the Fins renewed Wanny that last year.

Typ0
02-05-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm surprised they didnt make a run at bobby april though, think it's been said a few times that the only thing new england ever worries about when they play us is our special teams.

are you sure they didn't?

Crisis
02-05-2010, 09:34 PM
i have sources.

ZAZusmc03
02-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Wow, That is ridiculous. I think that is a moronic move right there. Hopefully they suck really bad next season.

Oaf
02-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Excuse me, but when has a daring move by Belicheck NOT worked out? (Besides the 4th and 2 call, which I still assert was the right call anyways)

Typ0
02-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Excuse me, but when has a daring move by Belicheck NOT worked out? (Besides the 4th and 2 call, which I still assert was the right call anyways)

His big dumb ass head is getting the best of him now. Bye Bye NE. I wonder if it will be the JETS or FINS who dethrone them next season.

BILLSROCK1212
02-05-2010, 09:51 PM
His big dumb ass head is getting the best of him now. Bye Bye NE. I wonder if it will be the JETS or FINS who dethrone them next season.
or us...'Fins have to rework their defense, Ronnie Brown is a FA, I'm pretty sure Ricky is retiring and at this point who knows if Chad Henne is thier QB of the future; the Jets lines are aging in certain areas, other than Revis and Rhodes the rest of the secondary is extremely weak....we're in prime position to make a quick rise to the top folks....it's all about winning those divisional games

Luisito23
02-05-2010, 09:51 PM
They'll still beat us 2wice though...:whistling

Dying_-2-_Live
02-05-2010, 09:55 PM
or us...'Fins have to rework their defense, Ronnie Brown is a FA, I'm pretty sure Ricky is retiring and at this point who knows if Chad Henne is thier QB of the future; the Jets lines are aging in certain areas, other than Revis and Rhodes the rest of the secondary is extremely weak....we're in prime position to make a quick rise to the top folks....it's all about winning those divisional games

And we have a new coaching staff, whom is completely redoing the schemes. We'll likely have a rookie quarterback on an already suffering Offense.

Im usually never like this... but things arent going to be as easy as they may seem. But I hope to god we can somehow win the division.

BILLSROCK1212
02-05-2010, 10:08 PM
And we have a new coaching staff, whom is completely redoing the schemes. We'll likely have a rookie quarterback on an already suffering Offense.

Im usually never like this... but things arent going to be as easy as they may seem. But I hope to god we can somehow win the division.
well they aren't unrealistic if things go well this offseason

Typ0
02-05-2010, 10:15 PM

are you kidding me? The Bills are superbowl contenders until the season actually starts!

Syderick
02-05-2010, 10:23 PM

4th and 2 was a bad call. As for this coaching direction, it could go either way for them.

Ickybaluky
02-05-2010, 10:43 PM
All this says is that the Pats have younger coaches.

Belichick has always brought along young coaches (even back in Cleveland with guys like Nick Saban, Kirk Ferentz and Pat Hill), preferring to have them earn their way up from within, and this is no different. He did it with Eric Mangini and he did it with Josh McDaniels.

With Mangini, Belichick felt he put him in charge too soon and he ended up taking away play-calling in his first season as DC. Mangini took the Jets HC job after that year, but Belichick felt he struggled because he thrust him into the DC position too early and didn't bring him along. With McDaniels, he didn't get the title of OC until his 2nd year doing the job, because the idea was he had to earn in.

He did that with Bill O'Brien this year, who served as OC without the title, and O'Brien struggled compared to McDaniels. He will return in that role this year, and probably get more autonomy after getting a year of experience (plus, there are more experienced coaches on offense with Dante Scarnecchia -- one of the NFL's best assistants -- and Ivan Fears). The fact he doesn't hold the title has more to do with Belichick deflecting the blame from him to take pressure off until he proves himself.

This year, with Dean Pees gone, he will again be promoting from within. The Pats have two potential first-time coordinators in Pepper Johnson and Matt Patricia on staff. Rather than name one the coordinator, he will follow the model he has with other young coaches. Given there isn't as much experience on the defensive staff, he will help them out.

Belichick has always been a very hands-on coach, but he really isn't doing anything different than he has at other points in his career. When he brings in new coaches, he tends to hire from the bottom and promote within. With the coaches he has lost in the last couple years, he has replaced them with Chad O'Shea (WR Coach), Brian Ferentz (Kirk's son, who joined as an assistant last year and will coach TE's this year) and Corwin Brown. Eventually, one of those guys may be coordinator.

Ingtar33
02-05-2010, 10:44 PM
god.. i think BB is doing this just to give Ralph ideas of how to save money.

THRILLHO
02-05-2010, 11:47 PM
You'd think that we would of learned by now that it seems like NE knows what they are doing. We have seen them fire coaches, let coaches walk, trade a potential (at the time) HOF QB to a division rival so a sixth round rookie could start, let big time free agents out. And they always come out of it smelling like guest room soap (sorry, simpsons line). So excuse me if I dont celebrate this move, or lack of a move by NE.

BillsOwnAll
02-05-2010, 11:49 PM

The pats havent been a scary good team since 04. BB lost his touch he is trying to hard now. Just cuase he owns us every chance he gets doesnt mean he can do stuff like this. Im so sick of this guy. He is going to ruin his name by the end of his career.

THRILLHO
02-05-2010, 11:50 PM
The pats havent been a scary good team since 04. BB lost his touch he is trying to hard now. Just cuase he owns us every chance he gets doesnt mean he can do stuff like this. Im so sick of this guy. He is going to ruin his name by the end of his career.

So they are not a scary team, but since 04 I dont think they have had a losing record, and they have beaten us every game since then....

BillsWin
02-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Message to Chan Gailey:

If you want to win over the fanbase, beat the ****ing Pats.

Sincerely,

All of Bills fandom.

BertSquirtgum
02-06-2010, 12:31 AM
is this ****ing guy having a nervous breakdown? what the **** is he thinking? his stupidity is coming out of his cut off sleeves. what an arrogant peice of ****.

Oaf
02-06-2010, 01:17 AM
is this ****ing guy having a nervous breakdown? what the **** is he thinking? his stupidity is coming out of his cut off sleeves. what an arrogant peice of ****.
Really now.

If we beat him once this year (unlikely), I'll be laughing with you all. Until then, I'm worried about anything he pulls.

BillsWin
02-06-2010, 01:26 AM
Bill Bellycheat -> :monkeyp::lt: <- Tom Brady

kernowboy
02-06-2010, 04:09 AM
I'd would pay a lot of attention to NE39's post if I were you, before you start gloating

Throne Logic
02-06-2010, 09:05 AM
On top of what NE39 said, I would add this: perhaps Bill is making an attempt to slow the attrition of his staff. He develops young coaches, promotes them to Coordinators, and watches another team snag them after one season. This way, he can still deligate the same responsibilities. However, other teams are unlikely to hire them away from the Pats because they don't carry the "coordinator" title.

We have no clue who gets paid what. For all we know, these "sub-coordinators" are making more than Chan Gailey.

It looks like this is BB pioneering a potentially brilliant plan for staff retention.

Dying_-2-_Live
02-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Message to Chan Gailey:

If you want to win over the fanbase, beat the ****ing Pats.

Sincerely,

All of Bills fandom.

Its gonna take more than that to win over most of these idiots

Ickybaluky
02-06-2010, 11:09 AM
We have no clue who gets paid what. For all we know, these "sub-coordinators" are making more than Chan Gailey.

The Pats currently have 13 coaches on staff, no including interms/assistants (they keep several of those, and have promoted them to assistant before). Mike Reiss, who covers the team, believes the Pats coaching staff ranks in the top 3rd of the NFL in payroll. So it isn't just them being cheap.

They also have Nick Caserio, the current Director of Player Personnel. Before moving into the front office (him and Floyd Reese basically function in the GM role, with Belichick involved as well), Caserio started as a coaching assistant, before moving to the front office as Director of Pro Personnel. He returned to coach WR in 2007, before going back to the front office as Director of Player Personnel when Pioli left (Reese was brought in to help because Caserio is young). However, Caserio still plays a role in coaching during camp and practices, and still sits in the coaching booth on game days.

The Pats have traditionally had small coaching staffs. Belichick is on record as not liking his staff to be too big, because he feels the message becomes less clear. To me this is him sticking with his philosophy, which hasn't changed.

There is a good article by Judy Baptista of the NY Times a few years ago about expanding coaching staffs, which can be found here (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9403E4D61130F931A25754C0A9609C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=1).

Typ0
02-06-2010, 07:19 PM
No one said the PATS were being cheap we said the Bills were being cheap. BB is doing what he's doing because he's an egoistic arrogant ass. It will bite him in the ass soon.

The Pats currently have 13 coaches on staff, no including interms/assistants (they keep several of those, and have promoted them to assistant before). Mike Reiss, who covers the team, believes the Pats coaching staff ranks in the top 3rd of the NFL in payroll. So it isn't just them being cheap.

They also have Nick Caserio, the current Director of Player Personnel. Before moving into the front office (him and Floyd Reese basically function in the GM role, with Belichick involved as well), Caserio started as a coaching assistant, before moving to the front office as Director of Pro Personnel. He returned to coach WR in 2007, before going back to the front office as Director of Player Personnel when Pioli left (Reese was brought in to help because Caserio is young). However, Caserio still plays a role in coaching during camp and practices, and still sits in the coaching booth on game days.

The Pats have traditionally had small coaching staffs. Belichick is on record as not liking his staff to be too big, because he feels the message becomes less clear. To me this is him sticking with his philosophy, which hasn't changed.

There is a good article by Judy Baptista of the NY Times a few years ago about expanding coaching staffs, which can be found here (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9403E4D61130F931A25754C0A9609C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=1).

Ickybaluky
02-06-2010, 10:21 PM
No one said the PATS were being cheap we said the Bills were being cheap. BB is doing what he's doing because he's an egoistic arrogant ass. It will bite him in the ass soon.

I'm not sure what you are talking about, but you missed the point.

The point is, nothing has really changed. Belichick is doing what he has always done, both in Cleveland and New England, when it comes to his coaching staff. There really isn't anything different.

Typ0
02-06-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm not sure what you are talking about, but you missed the point.

The point is, nothing has really changed. Belichick is doing what he has always done, both in Cleveland and New England, when it comes to his coaching staff. There really isn't anything different.

The difference is the roles he has filled at any one given time and how much work he's got to do. I don't think I missed the point you did. While he might be doing the same philosophy he's always used when bringing guys up he's in a spot now where he has everyone lower on the totem pole and no guys near enough his level in his system to give him the support he should have to do the job. No doubt he believes that is not an issue because he's so full of himself. We'll see.

Oldbillsfan
02-06-2010, 10:42 PM
If nothing has changed why is it a story? lol

BertSquirtgum
02-07-2010, 02:58 AM
Really now.

If we beat him once this year (unlikely), I'll be laughing with you all. Until then, I'm worried about anything he pulls.

you're going to be laughing at me huh? make sure you bookmark this page because if this arrogant peice of **** thinks he has the brain power to handle three aspects of the team at once then i will stand corrected. personally i think you're crazy if you honestly believe that.

YardRat
02-07-2010, 06:29 AM
On top of what NE39 said, I would add this: perhaps Bill is making an attempt to slow the attrition of his staff. He develops young coaches, promotes them to Coordinators, and watches another team snag them after one season. This way, he can still deligate the same responsibilities. However, other teams are unlikely to hire them away from the Pats because they don't carry the "coordinator" title.

It looks like this is BB pioneering a potentially brilliant plan for staff retention.

The other side of the coin is that it could make it easier for other teams to snag his assistants due to an offer to 'step up' as opposed to moving laterally.

Ickybaluky
02-07-2010, 07:59 AM
The other side of the coin is that it could make it easier for other teams to snag his assistants due to an offer to 'step up' as opposed to moving laterally.

You don't have to let an assistant leave to take a coordinator position, so that really isn't a factor. In fact, there have been many cases where teams have blocked such moves.

Granted, teams usually won't get in the way of a guy bettering himself, but they can block any assistant under contract from leaving, unless it is for a HC position.

The same rule applies to front office employees. If a guy is under contract, the team can block him from leaving unless it is for a GM job.

Ickybaluky
02-07-2010, 08:04 AM
The difference is the roles he has filled at any one given time and how much work he's got to do. I don't think I missed the point you did. While he might be doing the same philosophy he's always used when bringing guys up he's in a spot now where he has everyone lower on the totem pole and no guys near enough his level in his system to give him the support he should have to do the job. No doubt he believes that is not an issue because he's so full of himself. We'll see.

No you really have missed it entirely. The point is, nothing changed, including Belichick's role. He has always been heavily involved in all aspects of his team. For instance, when Dick Rehbein died back in 2001, Belichick took over as QB coach. He always has been heavily involved in coaching the defense, especially the LBs. He isn't doing anything differently.

Really, the only thing is nobody is carrying the title. The Pats have always game-planned as a staff. Last year, Bill O'Brien functioned in the role of an OC. He called the plays and wore the headset to communicate with the QB. He will again this year. This year, either Matt Patricia (most likely) or Pepper Johnson will function as the DC. They will wear he headset in and call the defenses. Neither will get the title officially, because that is how Belichick shields young coaches.

Billz_fan
02-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Wow everyone hating on the guy who has won what 13 in a row against us ? :laughter:

Question: whats the difference ? What is so crazy ? The Bills go without a coach every season for years now :D

Next season no different. Just because there is a guy with the title doesn't mean they are doing anything ;)

Typ0
02-07-2010, 08:28 AM
I have a hard time buying that's it's all a media tactic and not a function of inexperience is all I'm saying. There is a big difference between a guy you trust to do the job and someone you are mentoring and have to watch over. And quite often when you are mentoring and shifting roles around is when philisophical differences are exposed. The point is he's got too much mentoring (or what you call shielding) going on at one time. It's basically a rebuilding year for the staff in NE.

No you really have missed it entirely. The point is, nothing changed, including Belichick's role. He has always been heavily involved in all aspects of his team. For instance, when Dick Rehbein died back in 2001, Belichick took over as QB coach. He always has been heavily involved in coaching the defense, especially the LBs. He isn't doing anything differently.

Really, the only thing is nobody is carrying the title. The Pats have always game-planned as a staff. Last year, Bill O'Brien functioned in the role of an OC. He called the plays and wore the headset to communicate with the QB. He will again this year. This year, either Matt Patricia (most likely) or Pepper Johnson will function as the DC. They will wear he headset in and call the defenses. Neither will get the title officially, because that is how Belichick shields young coaches.

Ickybaluky
02-07-2010, 11:33 AM
I have a hard time buying that's it's all a media tactic and not a function of inexperience is all I'm saying. There is a big difference between a guy you trust to do the job and someone you are mentoring and have to watch over. And quite often when you are mentoring and shifting roles around is when philisophical differences are exposed. The point is he's got too much mentoring (or what you call shielding) going on at one time. It's basically a rebuilding year for the staff in NE.

The "shielding" has more to do with protecting them from criticism. O'Brien was under a lot of fire last year, because the team did not perform as well on offense as they did under McDaniels. They had a number of delay of game penalties and looked out of sync more than they had in the past. That is partly due to the lack of a legitimate 3rd WR in the passing game, which effected their spread sets (a huge part of the offense) and allowed teams to defense them differently. It also was likely due to O'Brien taking over and learning on the job.

However, the media doesn't get to directly question O'Brien. The league mandates teams need to make coordinators available every so often to meet with the press. O'Brien doesn't have to do that, because he doesn't hold the title. If the press questions a call, Belichick answers them and takes accountability. It is his way of protecting the young coaches, and he did the same thing with McDaniels.

Defensively, this year is very similar to when Mangini was coordinator. That year (2005), the Pats had 2 potential candidates to take over as coordinator, the young hotshot in Mangini and the raised around the NFL guy in Rob Ryan. That is very similar to this year with Matt Patricia playing the Mangini role and Pepper Johnson playing the Ryan role. Because of how things played out with Mangini that year, he isn't naming one a coordinator. However, this is SOP for how they proceed.

I never said there weren't less-experienced guys taking over. That is the price of success, as teams hire away your coaches and you bring in new guys. The way Belichick does it, and always has, is to promote guys who have been coaching in the system for some time, usually from within. That is why this is no different that what happened before. But, yeah, they don't have Weis and Crennel in those roles anymore. I assumed that was common knowledge. The most recent example of his bringing a non-system guy in was when he hired Dom Capers for a year as DB coach. That didn't work out well for either side, and Capers moved on.

In terms of "rebuilding", the offense went through the transition last year from McDaniels to O'Brien, so they are a year along. In terms of the defense, this year will be the bigger transition. That is why Belichick will probably be more involved on that side of the ball, and less on offense. Really, though, that is how he has operated all the way back to when he coached in Cleveland. He is very involved in all aspects of the team in terms of direct coaching.

DrGraves
02-07-2010, 11:35 AM
so who the hell runs practice?

Ickybaluky
02-07-2010, 11:41 AM
so who the hell runs practice?

The entire coaching staff does, as they have before. There is a practice plan with various responsibilities for both players and coaches, and it is followed. They still game-plan as a staff, as they always have.

O'Brien is the OC, and Patricia will likely be the DC (possibly Johnson). They have their roles, they just don't have the titles. Once Belichick feels comfortable giving them the title, he will. That is what happened with McDaniels.

The point is, this really isn't anything different than has been going on for a long time. There is this impression out there that this is something new, which is actually the complete opposite. This is standard procedure. Belichick isn't doing anything different than he has always done. He manages his staff and brings along coaches, promoting from within. While doing this, he gets involved in various aspects of the team directly. He has always done that.

BertSquirtgum
02-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Personally, i think new england is turning into a joke. I know the Bills suck but the Pats are becoming laughable. I can't wait to see how this year turns out for them. Tom Brady sure did well in that playoff game. I hope he continues his great play into next year.