PDA

View Full Version : Brohm's chances at starting

Don't Panic
02-06-2010, 11:40 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors

To avoid TOS violation, it basically says that even though we're looking for QBs, we may look to Brohm. It cites Papa John Scnatter, who saw Brohnm play a lot in college, as a supporter. He was blogged about here:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/10155/papa-john-will-be-watching-bills-qb

Some excerpts:

Maybe quarterbacks guru Chan Gailey will be able to unlock Brohm's potential.

"I think if he gets a break, he can do great things," said Schnatter, a Louisville season ticket-holder. "He's just a fundamentally sound athlete. He's a smart guy. I think they way he'll beat you is he'll outsmart you. He's like Peyton Manning (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1428) that way. He's just smart, strategic.

"He needs to get a shot, a couple big victories under his belt. Then I think you'll see him blossom. He needs a little confidence."

2010 motto: Better ingredients, better QB, Buffalo Bills? How about he forks over $10 million a year and we rename the stadium Papa John's Stadium. I can hear it now... "You headed out to the Big Papa to see the Bills play on Sunday?" Get it done, Russ.

In all seriousness, I know we can't count on anything from Brohm right now, but I do hope he gets a chance to compete for the job. Good arm, great head... that is what I want from my QB.

justasportsfan
02-06-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm sure Gailey won't leave any stones unturned. Every QB on this team will get a good look from Gailey. Even Trent.

PromoTheRobot
02-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Unless it was somehow obvious Brohm can't play in practices, I don't see how anyone can pass judgement on him yet. I thought he looked okay in the Atlanta game. Nice velocity on passes. Chan can't start evaluating players until the first mini-camp.

PTR

YardRat
02-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Unless it was somehow obvious Brohm can't play in practices, I don't see how anyone can pass judgement on him yet. I thought he looked okay in the Atlanta game. Nice velocity on passes. Chan can't start evaluating players until the first mini-camp.

PTR

Nix has already had the opportunity to evaluate Brohm in practices, and one game.

It isn't a coincidence that Nix picked this guy up immediately after Jauron was ditched.

SABURZFAN
02-06-2010, 01:28 PM
i'd like to see Brohm get a fair chance at the starting spot. i'd love to see picking up this kid from a PS team being golden for the Bills.

Don't Panic
02-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Nix has already had the opportunity to evaluate Brohm in practices, and one game.

It isn't a coincidence that Nix picked this guy up immediately after Jauron was ditched.

That's what has me thinking he'll definitely be in the mix. His addition to the roster has Nix's fingerprints all over it.

Beebe's Kid
02-06-2010, 02:34 PM
i'd like to see Brohm get a fair chance at the starting spot. i'd love to see picking up this kid from a PS team being golden for the Bills.

Brohm was sort of being "hidden" on the PS in GB. They only carried 2 QBs, so they could afford to have more lineman on the active roster.

I can't remember the last time a team went and snagged a QB of a team's PS, mid-season. Especially since we didn't have any injuries at the position. Unless you count the vaginal tear suffered by T.E.

I have heard that Nix's ties in the south are strong, and he is the reason we have Wood/Nelson, and possibly a few others. I think he had his eyes on this guy for a while, but Richard Jaruon had a mancrush on TE, and wouldn't let it happen.

The day they drove old Dickie down, I am sure that Nix recommended the move.

My guess is Brohm is our started this year, and for many years to come. Just a guess, but I think that Cortez was brought in with Brohm in mind.

Mr. Pink
02-06-2010, 02:41 PM
His chances should be 0%

ddaryl
02-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Brohm pretty much assures the Bills won't have to waste a pick on a later round Qb... I doubt anyone after Clausen and Bradford is rated much if any higher then Brohm who actually has pro experience.

jamze132
02-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Brohm is the reason I am not wanting us to draft a QB early in the draft. We do not know what we have in him and there is no reason to take one of the "top" QBs in this draft as I highly doubt any of them are further along or have more upside than Brohm does.

I don't know how many times I have said or have heard others say that next years QB class projects to be better. Let's see what Brohm has before we spend $30M on a rookie QB.

TigerJ
02-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Brohm pretty much assures the Bills won't have to waste a pick on a later round Qb... I doubt anyone after Clausen and Bradford is rated much if any higher then Brohm who actually has pro experience.While, I want to see Brohm get a chance, I still think the Bills might draft a QB in the mid or later rounds, unless they sign a veteran free agent. They'll head into training camp with Brohm and Fitzpatrick for sure, and two of the following three options: Edwards, a draft pick, and a veteran free agent. I think Hamdan is history.

Typ0
02-06-2010, 07:32 PM
I don't see any reason why he shouldn't get a fair chance but all this talk about how he looked in college is trivial. We need a top knotch QB to be successful here and need not settle for anything less for any reason. Quit the banter about how he's going to be the guy at this point he's just another Johnson, Lossman, Edwards, Fitzpatrick.

TrEd FTW
02-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Did ESPN really just cite Papa ****ing John? God, help us.

Night Train
02-06-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm sure Gailey won't leave any stones unturned. Every QB on this team will get a good look from Gailey. Even Trent.

We already know Trentative is from the kidney stone lineage.

I've already passed him with the appopriate screaming.

ServoBillieves
02-06-2010, 09:24 PM

PTR

Thank you for a sane QB/Gailey comment. Thought I must disagree... With your profile picture. GO MONARCH!

justasportsfan
02-06-2010, 09:36 PM
We already know Trentative is from the kidney stone lineage.

I've already passed him with the appopriate screaming.
he's most likely done but that's my opinion and I don't think Gailey cares about what I think. If he thinks he can fix Trent ....

HHURRICANE
02-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Brohm=Craig Nall

People on this site are always looking for a
miracle. Edwards is still the best QB on this team and that ain't saying much.

BuffaloBlitz83
02-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Brohm=Craig Nall

How the **** do you know that?

HHURRICANE
02-07-2010, 09:51 AM
How the **** do you know that?

Why does everyone act like Brohm is some newbie to the league? Green Bay is pretty good at developing QB talent. Nall and Brohm are both cast offs from Green Bay.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
02-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Brohm=Craig Nall

I'll agree that Brohm could be another Nall, but it's to early to tell.

On Edwards being the best QB on the team I disagree. I think Fitz is the better option.

Trent has no heart or the brains to read a defence. He showed more love to Jauron then to football.

Now Fitz has some heart and the brains to read the defence. Fitz made better decisions on the field then Trent did this year.

HHURRICANE
02-07-2010, 10:17 AM

On Edwards being the best QB on the team I disagree. I think Fitz is the better option.

Trent has no heart or the brains to read a defence. He showed more love to Jauron then to football.

Now Fitz has some heart and the brains to read the defence. Fitz made better decisions on the field then Trent did this year.

This is where being a fan of football and not everything Buffalo helps. There are at least a dozen teams that would gladly take Edwards off our hands. Fitz is a good backup, and Brohm is really a waste of time at this point. I'll bet money that he doesn't make the roster next year.

Michael82
02-07-2010, 10:19 AM
This is where being a fan of football and not everything Buffalo helps. There are at least a dozen teams that would gladly take Edwards off our hands. Fitz is a good backup, and Brohm is really a waste of time at this point. I'll bet money that he doesn't make the roster next year.
How much? :$:

Spiderweb
02-07-2010, 10:35 AM

Betters decisions? Hummm.... What I would agree with is that Fitz didn't play scared, which is exactly the way Edwards has been playing since the Arizona game of 2008.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
02-07-2010, 10:47 AM

Well then there should be some trade value for him? I doubt it.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
02-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Betters decisions? Hummm.... What I would agree with is that Fitz didn't play scared, which is exactly the way Edwards has been playing since the Arizona game of 2008.

Sure he did, I seen Fitz audible at the line more times than Trent did in his entire career with the Bills.

Even before the Arizona game Trent was throwing the ball short, and very rarely went deep.

tampabay25690
02-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Brohm=Craig Nall

HA HA figures you would come up with some comment..

JCBills
02-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Why does everyone act like Brohm is some newbie to the league? Green Bay is pretty good at developing QB talent. Nall and Brohm are both cast offs from Green Bay.

I wouldn't call having Favre forever, and then drafting a 1st round QB that great of a developmental track record. Favre was going to be good wherever he played. Yeah Rodgers needed time to develop, but that says a good amount when even a 1st rounder needs time.

Brohm is the most talented QB on our roster and deserves a full offseason with a shot at starting. He, unlike Trentative (who I supported until I couldn't take in anymore) can wil games.

mayotm
02-07-2010, 11:18 AM
This is where being a fan of football and not everything Buffalo helps. There are at least a dozen teams that would gladly take Edwards off our hands. Fitz is a good backup, and Brohm is really a waste of time at this point. I'll bet money that he doesn't make the roster next year.Are you comparing Brohm to your posts?

kernowboy
02-07-2010, 12:00 PM

When the object of Hurricanes man lust, Jason Peters, was deliberately letting through rushers onto his QB

Beebe's Kid
02-07-2010, 12:57 PM

I'll take that bet.

You may be the most knowledgeable fan in your world, but I will take Buddy Nix over your any day of the week.

If there are a dozen teams that would take Edwards, I am sure they are already on the phone.

Edwards is an example of what could happen with Clausen. If you've never really been a winner, you are probably not going to be one in the NFL. Clausen is a better pure QB than Edward, more than likely, but they don't even know what's it's like to be victorious. You can have the best stats in the world...but I, as a fan want a W. That is speaking as an "all things Buffalo" guy, of course.

Don't Panic
02-07-2010, 01:08 PM

I disagree... I see very little difference between Edwards and Brohm at this point in terms of value. A dozen teams? He couldn't earn the backup position on a dozen teams at this point... you think they're going to give something up for a 3rd stringer who has had his confidence rocked? If we don't change our current stable, I bet Brohm and Edwards battle it out for the #1 with Fitz locked in as the backup (or 3rd string even... although I'd cut him if that's the case).

ublinkwescore
02-09-2010, 06:23 PM
I don't see any reason why he shouldn't get a fair chance but all this talk about how he looked in college is trivial. We need a top knotch QB to be successful here and need not settle for anything less for any reason. Quit the banter about how he's going to be the guy at this point he's just another Johnson, Lossman, Edwards, Fitzpatrick.

You forgot Todd Collins.

ublinkwescore
02-09-2010, 06:26 PM

Not talking crap, but god I hope you're wrong, I hope Brohm is the guy that makes Brady sound like something from ten years ago.

My head's not in the clouds over it though, I know Bradys and Brees's don't just fall out of the sky, but it would be nice right about now.

lmcshadow
02-09-2010, 10:08 PM
If Chan build it it might come

Typ0
02-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Who would you rather have next season McNabb or Brohm?

better days
02-12-2010, 09:47 PM

You hear that Buddy? MAKE THE TRADE. You should be able to get a bag of footballs for Trent with 12 teams vying for him.

JCBills
02-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Who would you rather have next season McNabb or Brohm?

Honestly Brohm.

I don't want a 32 year old walking injury.

I want the new era of the Bills to begin, it might be painful, but if we want longevity at the position, we have to start with a young QB.

Plus we will have to pay wayyyyy too much for McNabb, Philly's original asking price? Two first rounders! Nix says he wants to build through the draft. They would still probably ask a 1st + a 3rd or more, and screw that.

We should still draft at the position though, LeFevour is a good option maybe as a 3rd or 4th rounder. That would be an interesting TC battle, I still think Brohm has what it takes though. Another smart pickup could be Derek Anderson, rumor is he's going to be released, would bring good competition, at worst a serviceable backup.

Typ0
02-13-2010, 01:53 PM
That's great a proven winner whose had a very good career or a guy whose done absolutely nothing and you want the nothing guy. The only thing attractive about Brohm is no one has seen him screw up because he's hardly been on the field.

I'm not crazy about McNabb because of the durability myself but I do know they need to do something at the QB position other than put a guy there whose never done zip.

Honestly Brohm.

I don't want a 32 year old walking injury.

I want the new era of the Bills to begin, it might be painful, but if we want longevity at the position, we have to start with a young QB.

Plus we will have to pay wayyyyy too much for McNabb, Philly's original asking price? Two first rounders! Nix says he wants to build through the draft. They would still probably ask a 1st + a 3rd or more, and screw that.

We should still draft at the position though, LeFevour is a good option maybe as a 3rd or 4th rounder. That would be an interesting TC battle, I still think Brohm has what it takes though. Another smart pickup could be Derek Anderson, rumor is he's going to be released, would bring good competition, at worst a serviceable backup.

better days
02-13-2010, 02:10 PM
That's great a proven winner whose had a very good career or a guy whose done absolutely nothing and you want the nothing guy. The only thing attractive about Brohm is no one has seen him screw up because he's hardly been on the field.

I'm not crazy about McNabb because of the durability myself but I do know they need to do something at the QB position other than put a guy there whose never done zip.

Brohm is on the team & who knows? Gailey might be able to make him into an NFL QB. McNabb is on the backside of his career & is injury prone. I would not give more than a 3rd for him & I would have to think long & hard about that.

JCBills
02-13-2010, 02:32 PM

So you would for over the 9th pick + more picks for McNabb right now? That would be their minimum asking price, with the original set at two 1sts.

I sure as hell wouldn't.

X-Era
02-13-2010, 02:36 PM
So you would for over the 9th pick + more picks for McNabb right now? That would be their minimum asking price, with the original set at two 1sts.

I sure as hell wouldn't.

Outside of Bradford, who is the QB at 9 that's worth more than McNabb?

I wouldn't give any higher of a pick than a 2nd... and they just might take it.

JCBills
02-13-2010, 02:47 PM

I doubt they would.

If we have to see what Brohm has, I don't think we'll be that bad off.

I'm not enamored with Bradford, injury + surgery on throwing shoulder = lost velocity.

I would honestly give picks for Jason Campbell over McNabb.

better days
02-13-2010, 03:25 PM

If there is no QB worth taking at 9, take the best player at another position of need.

Don't Panic
02-13-2010, 03:52 PM
2nd is where I start to seriously consider it. 3rd is a no-brainer, 1st is no way... 1st and 3rd? If that's what they're looking for, then McNabb will be wearing an Eagles jersey next year. But a 2nd... that would get me thinking about it.

Typ0
02-13-2010, 07:26 PM

I sure as hell wouldn't.

They can ask all they want they won't be getting that. I'd like to sell my crappy car for a million dollars too. How about next years 1st? The point is any McNabb is better than a guy whose done nothing. Bills fans are totally unrealistic about this type of thing. People seem to think once a guy puts on a blue jersey that guarantees he's going to be good. We have a long line of crap to show for it.

JCBills
02-13-2010, 08:48 PM
They can ask all they want they won't be getting that. I'd like to sell my crappy car for a million dollars too. How about next years 1st? The point is any McNabb is better than a guy whose done nothing. Bills fans are totally unrealistic about this type of thing. People seem to think once a guy puts on a blue jersey that guarantees he's going to be good. We have a long line of crap to show for it.

All I'm saying is I would give Brohm a chance rather than overpay for McNabb, they will not let him go cheap.

So if you want to call it "taking" Brohm you can, but it's basically someone we already have and don't have to give up picks for Vs. someone we don't and will have to decimate our draft to get.

Add the fact he's old and has only started all 16 games 4 times in his career.

No thanks.