PDA

View Full Version : What are common complaints from non hockey fans about hockey?

trapezeus
02-06-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm trying to put together a list of the common complaints from casual hockey fans and non-hockey fans as to why they don't like the game.

So far i have a short list of;

1. it's too hard to follow or see the puck
2. it's not our game (meaning it isn't american)
3. what is icing
4. Offsides? how can you figure that out?

Any others that you hear frequently or drive you nuts?

thanks for your help.

SabreEleven
02-06-2010, 01:44 PM
too much fighting.

RockStar36
02-06-2010, 01:47 PM
You nailed most of them.

I'm mostly told that they don't understand the game or that it is boring. I mostly hear that it's boring when it's a 1-0 or 2-1 type of game.

Novacane
02-06-2010, 01:58 PM
I hear the same. Not enough scoring.....the game is boring.

JD
02-07-2010, 02:39 PM
The problem is regionalism. You have to grow up being introduced to the sport in your youth, in my opinion.

The NHL needs to put more emphasis into inline hockey leagues... (play them in the south, outdoors maybe?)

Football can be played year round and its easy to just pick up and go play in a field. You need more to play hockey.

But the south definitely should have an inline version of the nhl and just keep ice hockey up north.

OpIv37
02-07-2010, 09:57 PM
I agree that the problem is regionalism, but inline hockey won't fix it. The NHL has tried regional expansion with minimal success. Florida, pheonix, Atlanta, Tampa bay, carolina, etc, and it hasn't caught on.

You are correct that some people think hockey is not "our" game,but those people come from places where football or basketball is king. No one from the northern tier of the country says that nonsense. It's more of a cultural thing and it will be very difficult to change.

hammerbillsfan
02-07-2010, 09:59 PM
I agree that the problem is regionalism, but inline hockey won't fix it. The NHL has tried regional expansion with minimal success. Florida, pheonix, Atlanta, Tampa bay, carolina, etc, and it hasn't caught on.

You are correct that some people think hockey is not "our" game,but those people come from places where football or basketball is king. No one from the northern tier of the country says that nonsense. It's more of a cultural thing and it will be very difficult to change.

****ing sad that these teams have made the finals too, 2 of the them winning cups.

TacklingDummy
02-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Lack of TV coverage.
I haven't watched one game since the strike and losing the Empire Network.
I do check the standing around once a week, that's about it.

rbochan
02-08-2010, 07:19 AM
Lack of TV coverage.
I haven't watched one game since the strike and losing the Empire Network.
I do check the standing around once a week, that's about it.
I don't seem to have that problem, at least here in Syracuse. Almost every night there's a Sabres, Rags, Devils, or Fishsticks game on here via basic cable. We also get Crunch and Amerks games, as well as regional college and high school games.

OpIv37
02-08-2010, 08:15 AM
I don't seem to have that problem, at least here in Syracuse. Almost every night there's a Sabres, Rags, Devils, or Fishsticks game on here via basic cable. We also get Crunch and Amerks games, as well as regional college and high school games.

trust me- it's a huge problem in the rest of the country.

Here in DC, the only televised hockey consists of Caps games, VS, and NHLN. I have DirecTV so I currently don't get VS. NHLN doesn't pick up games every night (and a lot of people don't have it included in their programming anyway). So basically, the only guaranteed hockey is the Caps. I'd say there are 3 nights a week with no NHL on my TV whatsoever.

rbochan
02-08-2010, 09:26 AM
trust me- it's a huge problem in the rest of the country.

Here in DC, the only televised hockey consists of Caps games, VS, and NHLN. I have DirecTV so I currently don't get VS. NHLN doesn't pick up games every night (and a lot of people don't have it included in their programming anyway). So basically, the only guaranteed hockey is the Caps. I'd say there are 3 nights a week with no NHL on my TV whatsoever.
VS only shows games on Mondays and Tuesdays, so that's not even saying much about the flagship station for the NHL. Bettman in action!

don137
02-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Living in the south most people do not watch hockey because they find it boring on TV. The fans that converted from not being a fan to a fan of hockey are converted because they saw it live not because they started watching it on TV and liked the game.
There is a huge difference watching it live versus on TV. Watching a game live real makes people appreciate and enjoy the game.

ddaryl
02-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Wathcing the game on TV is difficult, so getting newbie fans interested is harder.

The game is much easier to follow at the rink.... but usually TV is where you attract new fans.

the solution would be a wide angled camera that allows you to see all the action in a zone develope IMO...

I like to see the sniper sneaking around not the camera making all kinds of moves trying to keep up with the puck

I did like the FOX puck that showed the trails on the TV a few years back

rbochan
02-08-2010, 01:52 PM
The only people I know that aren't fond of hockey have never actually been to a game.

OpIv37
02-08-2010, 02:05 PM
the solution would be a wide angled camera that allows you to see all the action in a zone develope IMO...

they already have that now- it's called HDTV. The trick is getting the stations to actually show that view more often during games.

ddaryl
02-08-2010, 02:46 PM
they already have that now- it's called HDTV. The trick is getting the stations to actually show that view more often during games.

Kind of what I was getting at. I know it possible but they don't use it. They sit in the puck chase mode with the camera and that just makes many people sea sick

Show me the whole zone add an enhancer to better see the puck (no as gawdy as the FOx puck but in the same realm). That would make watching hockey on TV much better

ddaryl
02-08-2010, 02:47 PM
The only people I know that aren't fond of hockey have never actually been to a game.

the fact is attracting new fans will need to happen mostly at home via TV's 1st.

Not many fans are going to shell out $100 per ticket to sample the game

TacklingDummy
02-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Wathcing the game on TV is difficult, so getting newbie fans interested is harder.

Watching the game when you are 4 hours away and it's not on TV is even more difficult.

ddaryl
02-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Watching the game when you are 4 hours away and it's not on TV is even more difficult.

yeah a good TV contract that makes the game much more available to the masses, especially local teams games for local fans wouldn't hurt....

DMBcrew36
02-08-2010, 06:26 PM
How about some common complaints from hockey fans about non-hockey fans...

RockStar36
02-08-2010, 07:06 PM
I hated the Fox glowing puck. I took it as an insult to hockey fans. As if we're too stupid to follow the puck. Awful idea.

DraftBoy
02-08-2010, 11:53 PM
Its pretty simple;
-Horrible TV Coverage
-Somewhat complicated rules (see Soccer for similar issues)
-Lack of interest due to climate around most of the country
-Poorly Run
-Horrible Marketing

I dont think its a regional issue, or the idea that its boring. I think that its a poorly run business with one of the worst marketing people ever. Take the NBA for example, which has gone way down hill and is poorly run but is still very popular. Why? Great TV deal, excellent marketing, and simple rules.

Hockey can't change its rules, and unless global cooling kick in the majority of the country doesnt get a lot of ice, so that's another uncontrollable issue. To me (a casual hockey fan) the NHL must do three things and do them quickly, small contraction, sign a friggin good TV deal, and they need to find a way to market their brand. So many good players in Crosby, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, etc...there is no reason these guys shouldnt be branded like Kobe, LeBron, and Dwade. If you put Ilya Kovalchuk in a lineup of 5 Russian looking guys right now, hardly anybody could pick him out.

The game of hockey itself is exciting, fast paced, and fun but the NHL sucks donkey balls at showing people that.

chernobylwraiths
02-09-2010, 06:35 AM
I hated the Fox glowing puck. I took it as an insult to hockey fans. As if we're too stupid to follow the puck. Awful idea.

I always hate that argument. Who really cared about the puck. It was interesting, but why would hockey fans be insulted? They could already follow the puck. It was supposed to help NON hockey fans follow the play better.

As a hockey fan, the worst thing about the game is that it has gotten incredibly boring and hockey is it's own worst enemy. I got into an argument with somebody that kept saying they hated all the stoppages in play when they came back from the lockout because of penalties. He said they should go back to "old time hockey" like it was before the lockout and I said that before the lockout, it was terribly boring because the skill players were constantly being grabbed and held up through interference. I'm not saying they should eliminate hits or checking, but the rampant interference that the officials have allowed them to get back to. The game IMO has gone back to what it was before the lockout, so a team without hitters and people who will hold a player up in the neutral zone will not win. There are plenty more things wrong with hockey too, but this is the worst.

chernobylwraiths
02-09-2010, 06:42 AM
Its pretty simple;
-Horrible TV Coverage
-Somewhat complicated rules (see Soccer for similar issues)
-Lack of interest due to climate around most of the country
-Poorly Run
-Horrible Marketing

I dont think its a regional issue, or the idea that its boring. I think that its a poorly run business with one of the worst marketing people ever. Take the NBA for example, which has gone way down hill and is poorly run but is still very popular. Why? Great TV deal, excellent marketing, and simple rules.

Hockey can't change its rules, and unless global cooling kick in the majority of the country doesnt get a lot of ice, so that's another uncontrollable issue. To me (a casual hockey fan) the NHL must do three things and do them quickly, small contraction, sign a friggin good TV deal, and they need to find a way to market their brand. So many good players in Crosby, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, etc...there is no reason these guys shouldnt be branded like Kobe, LeBron, and Dwade. If you put Ilya Kovalchuk in a lineup of 5 Russian looking guys right now, hardly anybody could pick him out.

The game of hockey itself is exciting, fast paced, and fun but the NHL sucks donkey balls at showing people that.

How can you say it is not a regional issue and then say that people in warm climates won't like it? Plus it IS boring right now. They CAN'T get a good TV deal because TV people only care about ratings and they didn't watch when they were on ESPN. You're right about the marketing angle though.

Lastly, you hit on one other point about why it is not popular and it has almost everything to do with American ego. This league's greatest players are NOT American. Americans just usually don't much care about non Americans, so there isn't an American face on the product, Americans won't much care except for hardcore fans. Just look at cycling for example once Armstrong retired and why soccer isn't popular. The best thing that could happen to hockey is for team USA to win the Olympics.

ddaryl
02-09-2010, 10:23 AM

I liked the idea although I thought it was a little bit over the top. They need to subtle it out so it wasn't as invasive on the screen. that i smy only complaint reagrding that.

but the idea has excellent merit IMO...

it may be an insult to hardcore fans, but hardcore fans don't grow the fan base.. it is the more casual fan. Diehards are already fans and won't be leaving because of a glowing puck on the screen

RockStar36
02-09-2010, 10:53 AM
The best way to see the puck is to have every game in HD. The fact that the NHL still barely pulls this off is pretty bad. They are very behind the times with this and several other things and it's slowly killing the sport.