PDA

View Full Version : Sabres problem

chernobylwraiths
02-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Is what I think it has always been, a management problem. Management thinks they have enough talent to win and they like the players that they have. Like some have said, they have plenty of average to above average players. The problem with these players is that not only are they only average, many of them don't possess any type of intangible to make them special. Only a few are: tough or play the body, check, adept at power play or penalty kill, good at faceoffs, etc.

Therefore, management "might" get a player, but they won't make any major moves or shakeup the lineup by trading a Roy or Pomminville because they think they are important to this team even though with them they failed to make the playoffs the last two years. As a matter of fact, I believe that both years they had a good chance to make the playoffs near the end of the season, but just didn't play well enough down the stretch to make it. I don't foresee another collapse that bad, but I wouldn't be surprised it one occurs again. Miller hasn't played as well lately and it might have to do with his mind being already in Vancouver. Shame on him, but I'm sure he has a lot on his plate right now with trying to right the sinking Sabres ship, he will probably be relied on just as heavily to win in the Olympics, and let's not forget Lindy's penchant for not using his backup goalies.

I hate to say this, but this team is VERY different with Kaletta in the lineup.

RockStar36
02-06-2010, 04:23 PM
I don't think Miller's mind is in Vancouver. I think he simply needs a break more often than he is getting. Ruff loses confidence in the backup very easily.

I honestly would've brought Enroth up this weekend and let him and Lalime play these two games just to rest Miller even more.

As for the rest of the team, there is definitely something lacking. Rivet is supposed to be the captain and half the time it doesn't even seem like he cares. It's a total difference from how he looked last season.

A shakeup is absolutely needed.

OpIv37
02-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Maybe Rivet is just mailing it in because he's at the end of his career. Give the C to Gaustad or even Grier. Those two, Miller and Myers are the only guys on this team who seem to give a damn night in and night out.

Ebenezer
02-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Management is looking past this season. Larry Quinn was on the radio well over a month ago and said this team isn't making a run at the cup...they have five runs at the cup. Tell's me there is a five year plan to try to win it once in that time frame...and then dismantle and start again (i.e., Miller and/or Vanek gone).

RockStar36
02-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Management is looking past this season. Larry Quinn was on the radio well over a month ago and said this team isn't making a run at the cup...they have five runs at the cup. Tell's me there is a five year plan to try to win it once in that time frame...and then dismantle and start again (i.e., Miller and/or Vanek gone).

I understand the logic, but it's flawed in this case. This current team doesn't have five runs at the Cup in them. Maybe with Miller, but not with legit scoring. They have way too many players who are considered untouchable.

Ebenezer
02-06-2010, 05:26 PM
I understand the logic, but it's flawed in this case. This current team doesn't have five runs at the Cup in them. Maybe with Miller, but not with legit scoring. They have way too many players who are considered untouchable.
I don't completely agree. They have the core for five years but you are right; they do consider too many guys as untouchable.

clumping platelets
02-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Softest team in the NHL

Typ0
02-06-2010, 11:12 PM
I don't think I agree with your assessment of their approach. It takes a lot to get the right mix. You aren't going to get that having major changes all the time. They are trying to breed players into the system and like the guys they have in the mix. A couple different players, at least one, is probably needed to get it right. They have to get those guys but think of how difficult that must be! The organization has made a lot of moves and gotten good players in the past. It's not fair to say they won't do it. And it's a good thing that they won't do it just for the sake of doing it they are doing what they believe in. So if they can't get the guy they believe is right they won't do anything.

Is what I think it has always been, a management problem. Management thinks they have enough talent to win and they like the players that they have. Like some have said, they have plenty of average to above average players. The problem with these players is that not only are they only average, many of them don't possess any type of intangible to make them special. Only a few are: tough or play the body, check, adept at power play or penalty kill, good at faceoffs, etc.

Therefore, management "might" get a player, but they won't make any major moves or shakeup the lineup by trading a Roy or Pomminville because they think they are important to this team even though with them they failed to make the playoffs the last two years. As a matter of fact, I believe that both years they had a good chance to make the playoffs near the end of the season, but just didn't play well enough down the stretch to make it. I don't foresee another collapse that bad, but I wouldn't be surprised it one occurs again. Miller hasn't played as well lately and it might have to do with his mind being already in Vancouver. Shame on him, but I'm sure he has a lot on his plate right now with trying to right the sinking Sabres ship, he will probably be relied on just as heavily to win in the Olympics, and let's not forget Lindy's penchant for not using his backup goalies. Their problem is an established bonified superstar goal scorer probably doesn't want to come to BUF and Vanek hasn't turned into one. I think he might with some more help though it would be nice to see them get someone to take pressure off him.

I hate to say this, but this team is VERY different with Kaletta in the lineup.

PA Bills Fan
02-07-2010, 11:09 AM
This team lacks heart, guts, a locker room presence, a true captain, a good back up to Miller, and a bonafide scorer. Other than that they are just fine (to quote Darcy who in my opinion is a joke).

DrGraves
02-07-2010, 11:34 AM
The front office doesn't care about winning... This team is sinking fast.

DrGraves
02-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Maybe Rivet is just mailing it in because he's at the end of his career. Give the C to Gaustad or even Grier. Those two, Miller and Myers are the only guys on this team who seem to give a damn night in and night out.

Roy.

ddaryl
02-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Softest team in the NHL

It's a shame because we were all screaming this last year. They came out and played the 1st half of this season semi-tough, but started fading before Xmas and now the wheels are loose and ready to come off.

So last year they were extremely soft, this year we brought back some grit and it has helped, but they still need more grit, drive and determination.

At what point do they look at the roster and realize it's the same elements from last year that are starting to creep back in during the 2nd half of this year.

chernobylwraiths
02-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Roy.

Yeah, we can trade him anytime!

DMBcrew36
02-07-2010, 02:17 PM
The front office doesn't care about winning

Wow - dumbest post i've read in a while (nothing personal). Don't be such a drama queen.

DMBcrew36
02-07-2010, 02:23 PM
The Sabres are in a slump - big deal - every other team goes through one during the season. Pittsburgh went through a terrible one a few weeks ago.

And guess what genius' who are *****ing and moaning about management? Management aren't the ones out there playing games. I can't believe how much unrealistic crying goes on in among fans calling into radio and posting on messageboard. Listen to Regier's interview on WGR from Friday and you'll hear a voice of reason. I'm glad we have a GM who keeps a cool head and doesn't make moves based on emotion - which is what some of you seem to be complaining for.

There's really only one legit complaint to be had and it's that we need a better backup goaltender, because Miller has probably played too much and will certainly have after the Olympics.

OpIv37
02-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Wow - dumbest post i've read in a while.
Why do you say that?

I agree with him. This FO cares about winning just enough to keep the fans buying tickets and merch. They don't make off season moves. They don't make trade deadline moves. They consider way too many guys on this team to be untouchable. As long as the team is in the black, they are happy.

chernobylwraiths
02-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Wow - dumbest post i've read in a while (nothing personal). Don't be such a drama queen.

It's the worst argument in the history of time, and yet people try to make it all the time. Winning = making more money, so they all WANT to win. Whether they want to throw around stupid money to do it is another story.

OpIv37
02-07-2010, 02:28 PM
The Sabres are in a slump - big deal - every other team goes through one during the season. Pittsburgh went through a terrible one a few weeks ago. We're still in good standing.

And guess what genius', *****ing and moaning about management - management aren't the ones out there playing games. I can't believe how much unrealistic crying goes on in among fans calling into radio and posting on messageboard.

There's only one legit complaint to be had and it's that we need a better backup goaltender because Miller has probably played too much and will certainly have after the Olympics.
No, management is not on the ice. But they decide who is. This team hasn't had good backup goaltending sine 2007. This team has lacked scoring since Drury and Briere left. This team has lacked toughness since well before that.

When the team has the same problems for several years in a row and the FO does little or nothing to address them, it's a management problem.

chernobylwraiths
02-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Backup goaltending is not the issue. The only issue regarding backup goaltending is Lindy Ruff's piss poor use of his backups throughout his career. And we have had some decent ones.

DMBcrew36
02-07-2010, 02:36 PM
No, management is not on the ice. But they decide who is. This team hasn't had good backup goaltending sine 2007. This team has lacked scoring since Drury and Briere left. This team has lacked toughness since well before that.

When the team has the same problems for several years in a row and the FO does little or nothing to address them, it's a management problem.

It isn't like they haven't tried to get a good backup. Biron wasn't going to stay, no matter what. They tried Conklin - he had success with other teams. They tried Thibault. They have tried Lalime. It's hard to find a good backup who is content being in that role. The main thing is that Ruff needs to make sure Miller is getting enough rest - only time will tell if he is doing that this year.

You can say they've lacked scoring, but you can also say that the game has changed. The Sabres aren't running and gunning anymore - they play a different, more defensive system now. Having a better powerplay would help - that rests on coaching.

You can say they lack toughness, and maybe they do. Regier drafted a bunch of guys last year and the year before to try and address that - trying to making the team bigger and tougher in the future.

Nighthawk
02-07-2010, 03:02 PM
I've been saying for years that this organization's problem is that they fall in love with players they draft. Anybody can see that this team is not good enought to win a championship, but the FO has blinders on or is just plain stupid. There are enough pieces in place that this team could be a contender with the right move, but this FO will waste another opportunity to bring a championship to Buffalo.

OpIv37
02-07-2010, 04:52 PM
It isn't like they haven't tried to get a good backup. Biron wasn't going to stay, no matter what. They tried Conklin - he had success with other teams. They tried Thibault. They have tried Lalime. It's hard to find a good backup who is content being in that role. The main thing is that Ruff needs to make sure Miller is getting enough rest - only time will tell if he is doing that this year.

You can say they've lacked scoring, but you can also say that the game has changed. The Sabres aren't running and gunning anymore - they play a different, more defensive system now. Having a better powerplay would help - that rests on coaching.

You can say they lack toughness, and maybe they do. Regier drafted a bunch of guys last year and the year before to try and address that - trying to making the team bigger and tougher in the future.

It's hard to find good backups, but it's still their job. Don't you follow the Bills too? Haven't you seen how many times they've tried and failed to find players at certain positions, particularly OL and QB? Continuously trying and failing to replace the same positions is a recipe for losing.

The PP rests both on coaching and on talent. The fact remains that this team does not have one true scorer. Think about this: The Sabres' opponent turns the puck over at the blue line and one of the Sabres gets a breakaway against the goalie. Who would you prefer gets that opportunity? On every other team in the NHL, one or two guys immediately come to mind. But the Sabres don't have a single scorer consistent enough. Vanek, Roy, Pominville, Connolly- none of them have that killer scoring instinct.

I think the coaching staff could do a better job with the PP even given the limited talent that they have, but there is simply no reason why they should be working under that constraint.

DMBcrew36
02-07-2010, 11:04 PM
It's hard to find good backups, but it's still their job. Don't you follow the Bills too? Haven't you seen how many times they've tried and failed to find players at certain positions, particularly OL and QB? Continuously trying and failing to replace the same positions is a recipe for losing.

The PP rests both on coaching and on talent. The fact remains that this team does not have one true scorer. Think about this: The Sabres' opponent turns the puck over at the blue line and one of the Sabres gets a breakaway against the goalie. Who would you prefer gets that opportunity? On every other team in the NHL, one or two guys immediately come to mind. But the Sabres don't have a single scorer consistent enough. Vanek, Roy, Pominville, Connolly- none of them have that killer scoring instinct.

I think the coaching staff could do a better job with the PP even given the limited talent that they have, but there is simply no reason why they should be working under that constraint.

I think they have found decent backups. The position has been addressed as well as one could reasonably hope - Conklin should've been a very good backup (which was proven by Pittsburgh the following year), and Lalime is also quite servicable as a backup. It's more coaching, to me - as far as I'm concerned. It's a matter of playing the backup and keeping him 'on point' by playing him. Lindy needs to play the backup on a regular basis NO MATTER WHAT, to keep him fresh and on his game. Miller obviously needs his rest too so he isn't tired and ****ty come crunch time. Basically, what I'm saying is, Lindy seems to rely too much on Miller every year, which hurts Miller and hurts the backup. It's on coaching, not management.

And actually, if the Sabres are to get a breakaway, three players immediately do come to mind for me - Vanek, Pominville and Stafford. Say what you want, but they do. I do, however, understand why you concern over the Sabres not having a true natural goal scorer. I think the Sabres realize they don't have one of those. They hoped Vanek would be one, and it looked like he might be, but he obviously isn't at that level. So who knows? Regier isn't going to break up the core or mortgage the teams future in order to get a guy who is a gamble to single-handedly carrying scoring. Trading for a top-level forward is something Regier will never do - he'd have to give up too much. It'd have to be via free-agency, and again, it'd tie up too much cap room when you look at the deals we already have out there to Vanek, Miller, Roy, Connolly, and whoever else.

Personally, I wanted the Sabres to sign Gaborik this past Summer. I was a huge fan of his when he played for Minnesota. He has always been a natural goal scorer but never got much attention because he was out West. Now that he's in NY and healthy, he has been near tops in the league in scoring. Ofcourse, the Rangers had to shell out $7.5 million per year for 5 years to get him. The Sabres don't have room for that kind of salary. If only we could dump Vanek's $7 million/yr and give it to Gaborik!

RockStar36
02-08-2010, 08:23 AM
I think they have found decent backups. The position has been addressed as well as one could reasonably hope - Conklin should've been a very good backup (which was proven by Pittsburgh the following year), and Lalime is also quite servicable as a backup. It's more coaching, to me - as far as I'm concerned. It's a matter of playing the backup and keeping him 'on point' by playing him. Lindy needs to play the backup on a regular basis NO MATTER WHAT, to keep him fresh and on his game. Miller obviously needs his rest too so he isn't tired and ****ty come crunch time. Basically, what I'm saying is, Lindy seems to rely too much on Miller every year, which hurts Miller and hurts the backup. It's on coaching, not management.

And actually, if the Sabres are to get a breakaway, three players immediately do come to mind for me - Vanek, Pominville and Stafford. Say what you want, but they do. I do, however, understand why you concern over the Sabres not having a true natural goal scorer. I think the Sabres realize they don't have one of those. They hoped Vanek would be one, and it looked like he might be, but he obviously isn't at that level. So who knows? Regier isn't going to break up the core or mortgage the teams future in order to get a guy who is a gamble to single-handedly carrying scoring. Trading for a top-level forward is something Regier will never do - he'd have to give up too much. It'd have to be via free-agency, and again, it'd tie up too much cap room when you look at the deals we already have out there to Vanek, Miller, Roy, Connolly, and whoever else.

Personally, I wanted the Sabres to sign Gaborik this past Summer. I was a huge fan of his when he played for Minnesota. He has always been a natural goal scorer but never got much attention because he was out West. Now that he's in NY and healthy, he has been near tops in the league in scoring. Ofcourse, the Rangers had to shell out $7.5 million per year for 5 years to get him. The Sabres don't have room for that kind of salary. If only we could dump Vanek's $7 million/yr and give it to Gaborik!

They should have a decent amount of cap room this coming offseason, depending on what happens before the deadline.

OpIv37
02-08-2010, 08:33 AM

I agree Conklin was serviceable, but they didn't re-sign him. They kept him from the deadline to the end of the season then let him walk. Dumb move.

Lalime is not serviceable. He proved it against Columbus and Anaheim. He proved it in practically every game he played last year. You can blame Lindy for not using him, but if you're Lindy, why would you use him? The guy hasn't earned a shot. Miller is arguably the best goalie in the league right now- if you're going to bench him, you better at least have a guy who can keep his head in the game in net.

As far as Stafford, Pominville and Vanek, you're nuts. Vanek gets most of his goals on tip ins, which is a skill in it's own right. But he's not a breakaway type scorer. He doesn't have that burst of speed or that natural ability. When it comes to Pominville, I've never seen a so-called scorer miss the net so frequently. He has no accuracy. And Stafford is just plain inconsistent. I do not trust any of those guys to make that play at all.

DMBcrew36
02-08-2010, 09:05 AM
I agree Conklin was serviceable, but they didn't re-sign him. They kept him from the deadline to the end of the season then let him walk. Dumb move.

Lalime is not serviceable. He proved it against Columbus and Anaheim. He proved it in practically every game he played last year. You can blame Lindy for not using him, but if you're Lindy, why would you use him? The guy hasn't earned a shot. Miller is arguably the best goalie in the league right now- if you're going to bench him, you better at least have a guy who can keep his head in the game in net.

As far as Stafford, Pominville and Vanek, you're nuts. Vanek gets most of his goals on tip ins, which is a skill in it's own right. But he's not a breakaway type scorer. He doesn't have that burst of speed or that natural ability. When it comes to Pominville, I've never seen a so-called scorer miss the net so frequently. He has no accuracy. And Stafford is just plain inconsistent. I do not trust any of those guys to make that play at all.

You merely asked if anyone immediately comes to mind if the Sabres were to get a breakaway, not about normal game play. Vanek is definitely a guy who isn't going to score unless he's around the net, but you asked about breakaways and I would take Vanek on a breakaway any day. Pominville might miss the net, but not on a breakaway. Staff is inconsistent, but again, you asked me about a breakaway.

In normal game action, I agree, they aren't game changers. We have no consistant scorers at forward, besides maybe Connolly. To me, Roy is a bigger disappointment than Pominville. Roy and Vanek are the poster boys for disappointment in scoring. Roy's salary is cheaper, though, and I feel like he could get himself going again.

OpIv37
02-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Roy and Vanek are the poster boys for disappointment in scoring. Roy's salary is cheaper, though, and I feel like he could get himself going again.

I'm not going to argue with you on that one. If they were both 40 goal scorers like they're supposed to be, this team would win the division with ease and at least be in the hunt for the conf title.

DMBcrew36
02-08-2010, 09:18 AM
I'm not going to argue with you on that one. If they were both 40 goal scorers like they're supposed to be, this team would win the division with ease and at least be in the hunt for the conf title.

I want to say a small part of it is the change in system for this year - or what is supposed to be a change to a more defensive system. However, even when the Sabres are in the offensive zone, Roy and Vanek can't seem to get anything going. Vanek usually looks slow and clumsy without the puck, and Roy gets too cute.

I don't see Regier mixing things up much. Whatever is done to tweak the roster will probably be done this Summer with one or two current players walking, and the addition of one or two free agents.

RockStar36
02-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Roy should be first on trade block.

His act has worn thin with me and I can't defend him anymore. He makes 4 million per season for some of the most inconsistent play. In my mind, he represents a lot of what is wrong with the Sabres right now. I would gladly like to see him shipped off for a nice little return.

DMBcrew36
02-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Roy should be first on trade block.

His act has worn thin with me and I can't defend him anymore. He makes 4 million per season for some of the most inconsistent play. In my mind, he represents a lot of what is wrong with the Sabres right now. I would gladly like to see him shipped off for a nice little return.

Yeah, I'm tempted to agree with you. When he's playing well, his salary is a pretty good deal, but he hasn't played well in a while.

elltrain22
02-08-2010, 10:30 AM
IMHO, this is a very good team, that is just not playing good hockey right now. They lack confidence, and have lost a little bit of their mental edge, which has been very strong this season. All its gonna take is for us to string together a couple w's and then it'll all be back to normal. We still have one of the best goalies in the league, we still have one of the best coaches in the league, and we still have very good players on that play both offense and defense. I am 110% confident that Lindy will get these boys back to their winning ways.

Ebenezer
02-08-2010, 10:35 AM
The Sabres are a very good hockey team...but have had the same problem the entire time Ruff has been here (and this in no way is a fault of Ruff)...

The team must play at 100% all the time to win. That's not the way the NHL works. Teams do coast from time to time and still win. Detroit, during they heyday, never played as hard, every night, every shift to win, not just one game, but game after game after game. This team has to be at peak efficiency all the time. As soon as another team comes in at 100% or the playoffs hit they struggle - and badly. What does that mean? They are constructed from good players that work hard...not great players that know when to play great and have an extra gear to kick into. It's the result of going with a younger group of players.

chernobylwraiths
02-08-2010, 11:08 AM
The Sabres simply don't have the players that will do "whatever it takes" to win. You don't HAVE to have a superstar to win. When the Dallas Stars beat Buffalo, I believe they didn't have a "superstar" on their roster. Modano was on the decline by then and Belfour played just good enough. Buffalo had the biggest superstar between the two teams. Carolina for all the crap they get for winning the Cup, did the stuff it takes to win games. If they had to finish their checks, they finished them, practically every player on the roster did. If they had to bump the goalie, they did it. The Sabres simply don't have that kind of roster, and haven't for quite some time.

rbochan
02-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Ruff's been playing the Lindy Shuffle with the 3rd and 4th lines since the West coast trip. Coincidence?