PDA

View Full Version : Odds Maybin gets to start at OLB in the 3-4?

BuffaloBlitz83
02-06-2010, 04:00 PM
I hope it works out. Keeping my fingers crossed. Arrington sounds very positive about the 3-4 and Maybin's chances to succeed.

The Bills on Thursday announced they will switch to a 3-4 with new defensive coordinate George Edwards. That would move Maybin to outside linebacker.

Maybin's mentor, former Washington Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington, had an immediate reaction to the news.

"Love it! I love it!" said Arrington, who has been spending time on Radio Row in the Super Bowl media center. "For Aaron, I think it's the perfect defensive scheme. He's a bookend. He's not a true, run-stop defensive end, where you keep him out there, going head-to-head-to-head-to-head with those 300-pound guys every single play.

"You give him more of an opportunity to be successful if you get him in positions where he's in space, getting the offensive linemen in an uncomfortable situation with having to deal with him in open space."

Arrington also knows Edwards well. Edwards was the Redskins' assistant defensive coordinator and linebackers coach in 2002 and took over all of the coordinating duties in 2003. Arrington went to the Pro Bowl each of those seasons.

"I think George Edwards being signed is an awesome deal," Arrington said.

Maybin was overmatched as a rookie. He was a one-year starter at defensive end for Penn State and entered the draft after his junior season. He bulked up once he joined the Bills, but never looked right in his uniform.

Maybin didn't start a game for a team that went into the season desperate for an improved pass rush. Based on stats calculated by the Bills' coaching staff, Maybin made 18 tackles, two for losses. He had zero sacks and no forced fumbles.

"The more Aaron Maybin has a chance to develop and mature mentally and physically and emotionally, he's going to be a special player in this league," Arrington said. "I just hope that he gets a fair opportunity to get to that point."

A 3-4 outside linebacker can be sleeker than a 4-3 defensive end. That will allow Maybin to carry a more natural weight on his 6-foot-4 frame and "be himself," Arrington said. "He doesn't have to be out of his character for that position."

Maybin must learn how to work out of a two-point stance and master some basic pass coverages.

"I think he's athletic enough to adapt and adjust," Arrington said. "You've got to figure that as a bookend he's going to drop into the hook, into the curl and he may have the flat. They may, once they see how he develops, have him carry routes.

"But for the most part they're going to have him in certain drop zones anyway. He should be able to adjust to that."

YardRat
02-06-2010, 04:03 PM
I hope he's busting his ass this off season on agility drills.

justasportsfan
02-06-2010, 04:06 PM
"Love it! I love it!" said Arrington, who has been spending time on Radio Row in the Super Bowl media center. "For Aaron, I think it's the perfect defensive scheme. He's a bookend. He's not a true, run-stop defensive end, where you keep him out there, going head-to-head-to-head-to-head with those 300-pound guys every single play.which is why he's a waste as a DE especially where he was drafted which is further proof Dick is an idiot. He tried to force Maybin to play a position he couldn't handle. Stupid.

BuffaloBlitz83
02-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Well forget last year. It is in the past. And they are doing a 3-4, so I hope this uses Maybin the best.

OpIv37
02-06-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm not saying Maybin can't play LB in the 3-4, but I wouldn't take Arrington's word for it. When the article describes him as Maybin's "mentor," it hardly makes him an objective observer. Of course he's going to talk up his boy.

BuffaloBlitz83
02-06-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm not saying Maybin can't play LB in the 3-4, but I wouldn't take Arrington's word for it. When the article describes him as Maybin's "mentor," it hardly makes him an objective observer. Of course he's going to talk up his boy.

Well, there's no way he can play DE in a 3-4, so it's LB or career over

tampabay25690
02-06-2010, 09:47 PM
98%% chance that Maybin is our starting OLB this season..

elltrain22
02-06-2010, 10:11 PM
I am so excited to see this kid at OLB.

theanswer74
02-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Any position James Harrison can win Defensive MVP at, Im not really worried about filling.

If Maybin doesnt work out we will move on and be fine.

No one ever talks about Chris Ellis either. Ellis is pretty much in the same spot as Maybin.

BertSquirtgum
02-07-2010, 02:54 AM
maybin couldn't hold his own dick on the field last year. that being said, i hope he can be turned into a force as a linebacker in the 3-4.

YardRat
02-07-2010, 05:34 AM
Maybe the switch to a 34 was cemented by Buddy because of the likes of Maybin and Ellis were already on the roster.

SquishDaFish
02-07-2010, 07:06 AM
I cant wait to see this. Ive been saying it all year along with others. This is where he should of been from day 1. I think he will be a beast from the OLB spot

tampabay25690
02-07-2010, 07:18 AM
I am so excited to see this kid at OLB.

I agree this would be the only reason why we would draft him.
I remember half this site last year saying he will be OLB and our half ass coaching staff drafted a guy, but had no clue what to do with him......

Finally I think we have s taff that will use him....

justasportsfan
02-08-2010, 12:47 PM
“He’s able to form relationships and garner the trust of the guys that he’s coaching. I’d go to the end of the earth for George Edwards. I enjoyed playing for him.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Arrington-Edwards-will-maximize-Maybins-strengths/0ecf6991-c6b6-4488-a4d6-199593d850f3

OpIv37
02-08-2010, 12:52 PM
http://billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=187584

SABURZFAN
02-08-2010, 12:57 PM
http://billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=187584

and look.... justa posted in that thread too. :snicker:

madness
02-08-2010, 12:58 PM
It seems LB's everywhere love this guy. Yes, he may be able to get Maybin finally on the field but I'm more interested to see if he can help Poz reach the next level in his game.

justasportsfan
02-08-2010, 01:01 PM
and look.... justa posted in that thread too. :snicker:
it's a different article. the link I posted was posted on bb.com 6 hrs. ago. Talks about Arringtons time with Edwards.