PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Scenario

JCBills
02-07-2010, 01:56 AM
It seems to be picking up around here in terms of this type of discussion with the combine only a few weeks away. I figured I'd post my offseason to the tune of DraftBoy's, who did a very nice job. This is a new team going in a new direction, so I wouldn't be shocked to see more than a few players dealt.

Re-sign:

Incognito
Wilson
Schouman

Free Agency it still a tossup, and the majority of players who won't be affected by the agreement are just too old. I guess Domenik Hixon would be a decent pickup, and we'll probably sign a 30 year old NT. A lot of the top 3-4 run D's NTs are hitting the market, but all are 30+ years old.

Trade:

Donte Whitner for a 4th (KC - #99)- Someone in need of safety help would pay an early 4th for Whitner to take a need off of their draft list. Wilson has outplayed him every time he hits the field.

Kyle Williams for a 3rd (CH - #75) - Underrated by fans, Williams finally gets a little recognition this season with a Pro Bowl alternate spot. I love him to death, but I don't think he fits the 3-4 very well. Short arms, 6'1''.....I could be wrong, he could be a monster next season, I just can't think of a position he fits in the new base.

Draft:

1. (#9) Rolando McClain - ILB - Alabama - 6'3½" 254 Lbs

Poz - McClain would be a dominant duo on the inside. The only player worth the pick here with the defensive base change. People will be screaming for an OT here, but outside of Okung you're looking at hit or miss players, and even then Okung isn't 100% bust proof.

2. (#41) Jerry Hughes - OLB - TCU - 6'1¾" 251 Lbs

The honest truth is we don't have any good LBs outside of Poz, I think Maybin will be able to make the adjustment (playing ROLB), and I honestly see see Schobel retiring. Hughes is a possible NFL 3-4 LOLB, TCU uses a 4-2-5, with Hughes basically acting as the strong side LB with his hand in the dirt. They would check to a 3-3-5 or 3-4 at times as well, he has a good amount of experience standing up.

3. (#73) Rodger Saffold - OT - Indiana - 6'4½" 312 Lbs

Saffold had a phenomenal Shrine Game, he was clearly the best offensive lineman in the game, erasing his opponents nearly every play. I still think Jamon Meredith has a very good chance at panning out as a solid NFL LT, but we'll still draft at the position early.

3. (#75) Torrell Troup - NT - UCF - 6'2½" 310 Lbs

I think Troup showed he can anchor against good competiton in the Shrine Game. Two-gap DT that ate blocks for the nation's #4 run defense. Strong lower body and good use of hands, can ride and split double teams. He's been weighed in at 310 and 314 recently, could add 5-10 lbs but isn't really needed. Possible instant starter.

4. (#99) C.J. Wilson - DE - ECU - 6'3'' 284 Lbs

Wilson showed up at the Senior Bowl weighing 284 lbs and moved well. I talked to Matt McGuire from WalterFootball.com about him, and he said he did well in 1 on 1s during practice. 3-4 RE prospect, he can hold up against the run as well as bring some pressure.

4. (#105) Dan LeFevour - QB - Central Michigan - 6'3'' 229 Lbs

Four year starter with a lot of W's under his belt. All-around threat, can make defenders miss in space, and shows good but not great throwing mechanics. I also think Brohm has the potential to make a run at the starting position, but like OT we'll still probably draft a QB relatively early. If neccessary, this pick could be swapped with #99.

5. (#137) Brandon Deaderick - DE - Alabama - 6'4'' 295 Lbs

Experienced 3-4 DE, good prospect for the LE spot. Played 5 days after being shot.

6. (#169) Cory Jackson - FB - Maryland - 6'1'' 245 Lbs

Corey McIntyre is 31 and not very athletic.

6. (#184) Will update after Combine.

7. (#194) Will update after Combine.

7. (#201) Will update after Combine.

With the last 4 picks I'd probably like to see them maybe look WR / RB / ILB in no order. There also should be a quality crop of UDFA talent.

Starters and immediate depth:

QB: Brohm, Edwards, LeFevour
RB: Lynch /Jackson (Split)
FB: Cory Jackson
WR: Evans, Hardy, Mid-late round Rookie / UDFAs
WR: St. Johnson / Hixon (TC Battle), Jenkins
TE: Nelson, Stupar
LT: Meredith, Saffold
LG: Levitre, Hangartner
C: Wood, Hangartner
RG: Incognito, Hangartner
RT: Butler, Bell

NT: Troup / 30 year old FA
RE: Sp. Johnson / C.J. Wilson (TC Battle)
LE: Stroud / Deadrick
LOLB: Hughes / Mitchell (TC Battle) / Ellis
LILB: McClain, Stamer
RILB: Poz, UDFA / Late round rookie.
ROLB: Maybin / Ellis
CB: McGee, Florence, Corner
SS: Wilson, Scott
FS: Byrd, Wendling
CB: McKelvin, Harris/Lankster

The rest is fairly obvious, I'm not going to do the full depth chart and UDFA signings though.

Yeah, it would be a young team, but it would also be an extremely talented team with a good combination of size and speed. We're a young team already, and the D change is going to require a major shift in personnel. Nix already said he believes in building through the draft.

Thoughts?

kernowboy
02-07-2010, 07:08 AM
Poz and Mitchell, and also McClain are best suited to the WILL ILB role - we need to take a MIKE ILB who can take on the OL that our NT miss - this calls for a less athletic but stronger ILB

McClain would be wasted in this role of MIKE. We are better off grabbing a ILB later in the draft who can fulfil this role.

DraftBoy
02-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Poz and Mitchell, and also McClain are best suited to the WILL ILB role - we need to take a MIKE ILB who can take on the OL that our NT miss - this calls for a less athletic but stronger ILB

McClain would be wasted in this role of MIKE. We are better off grabbing a ILB later in the draft who can fulfil this role.

McClain can play either ILB spot, his athleticism and strength are off the charts for his position. I dont see why you don't like McClain.

JCBills
02-07-2010, 10:57 AM

...lol?

Ingtar33
02-07-2010, 10:54 PM
1. (#9) Rolando McClain - ILB - Alabama
-i wouldn't be unhappy

2. (#41) Jerry Hughes - OLB - TCU
-i doubt he falls out of round 1... frankly he might be gone before our first pick depending how he works out at the combine. he's definitely one of the top 3 OLBs in the draft.. and depending who you talk to he might be the best OLB (i don't think he is, but i know people who do)

3. (#73) Rodger Saffold - OT
he won't be there in round 3. he's gone in round 2 at the latest.

3. (#75) Torrell Troup - NT
I don't think he'd be a good NT... not a 2-gap NT anyway. I might be wrong. but he doesn't look strong enough or big enough. I think it's funny you're talking about trading Kyle Williams for this pick, then drafting a guy who's basically a lighter 1" taller player in his place... you might as well keep kyle williams at that point.

4. (#99) C.J. Wilson - DE
Probably too short for the 34... if he is a good 34 end prospect he'll be gone long before round 3.

4. (#105) Dan LeFevour - QB
Another MAC star will be available here, Tim Hiller, but LeFevour wont. DL probably played himself into round 2 with his senior bowl. A good combine and a few good workouts and he might even see round one. Latest i see him going at this point is round 3.

JCBills
02-08-2010, 01:59 AM
1. (#9) Rolando McClain - ILB - Alabama
-i wouldn't be unhappy

2. (#41) Jerry Hughes - OLB - TCU
-i doubt he falls out of round 1... frankly he might be gone before our first pick depending how he works out at the combine. he's definitely one of the top 3 OLBs in the draft.. and depending who you talk to he might be the best OLB (i don't think he is, but i know people who do)

3. (#73) Rodger Saffold - OT
he won't be there in round 3. he's gone in round 2 at the latest.

3. (#75) Torrell Troup - NT
I don't think he'd be a good NT... not a 2-gap NT anyway. I might be wrong. but he doesn't look strong enough or big enough. I think it's funny you're talking about trading Kyle Williams for this pick, then drafting a guy who's basically a lighter 1" taller player in his place... you might as well keep kyle williams at that point.

4. (#99) C.J. Wilson - DE
Probably too short for the 34... if he is a good 34 end prospect he'll be gone long before round 3.

4. (#105) Dan LeFevour - QB
Another MAC star will be available here, Tim Hiller, but LeFevour wont. DL probably played himself into round 2 with his senior bowl. A good combine and a few good workouts and he might even see round one. Latest i see him going at this point is round 3.

Players slide, most of these guys will be there.

Hughes might go in the middle-late 1st, but 9th pick in the 2nd isn't a stretch.

I don't think early 3rd is stretching it for Saffold either.

Troup not a two gap NT? I've watched him play a good amount, watched a few UCF games two seasons ago and specifically watched Troup this past season. He can play NT without a doubt in my mind, Kyle Williams is 306, weight he added in the past two years, so at Troup's lightest weigh in which is 310, he's got an inch and a half, weight, and longer arms. I love Williams to death, but Troup is much more of a NT type player. Not saying I'm right, Kyle Williams could shock everyone and fit the new scheme, I just don't see it happening.

6'3'' Isn't that short, like I said he's a weak side prospect.

DraftBoy
02-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Players slide, most of these guys will be there.

Hughes might go in the middle-late 1st, but 9th pick in the 2nd isn't a stretch.

I don't think early 3rd is stretching it for Saffold either.

Troup not a two gap NT? I've watched him play a good amount, watched a few UCF games two seasons ago and specifically watched Troup this past season. He can play NT without a doubt in my mind, Kyle Williams is 306, weight he added in the past two years, so at Troup's lightest weigh in which is 310, he's got an inch and a half, weight, and longer arms. I love Williams to death, but Troup is much more of a NT type player. Not saying I'm right, Kyle Williams could shock everyone and fit the new scheme, I just don't see it happening.

6'3'' Isn't that short, like I said he's a weak side prospect.

Im not sold Troup is 6'3 or 310, Id say closer to 6'2, 305. Any weight you're getting now you can consider false, we'll have more official weights and heights in two weeks.

JCBills
02-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Im not sold Troup is 6'3 or 310, Id say closer to 6'2, 305. Any weight you're getting now you can consider false, we'll have more official weights and heights in two weeks.

All-Star game weigh ins are usually the same as the combine weights, so those are fairly official. If you've caught a game, he holds ground like he's 340 and moves like he's 290.

Ingtar33
02-08-2010, 05:19 PM
All-Star game weigh ins are usually the same as the combine weights, so those are fairly official. If you've caught a game, he holds ground like he's 340 and moves like he's 290.

yes, he looked fine in the allstar game after looking mediocre all year. but this is the problem you're running into. if NFL teams agree with your assessment the chances of him being there at the end of round 3 is pretty much nonexistence. If they agree with mine.... sure he'll be there in round 3 but then he's not the player we need either.

2nd, you're trading a pro-bowl DL-man, for a 3rd round pick. not the wisest choice in the word. granted Kyle Williams probably isn't able to play well in a 34.. though i suspect he'd make a fair enough NT... not an ideal one, but he could give good depth. dumping him for a 3rd is just preposterous.

JCBills
02-08-2010, 09:52 PM
yes, he looked fine in the allstar game after looking mediocre all year. but this is the problem you're running into. if NFL teams agree with your assessment the chances of him being there at the end of round 3 is pretty much nonexistence. If they agree with mine.... sure he'll be there in round 3 but then he's not the player we need either.

2nd, you're trading a pro-bowl DL-man, for a 3rd round pick. not the wisest choice in the word. granted Kyle Williams probably isn't able to play well in a 34.. though i suspect he'd make a fair enough NT... not an ideal one, but he could give good depth. dumping him for a 3rd is just preposterous.

I love Williams to death, but I just don't see a fit with the change.

A 3rd was on the low end because most people underrated him until this season, so I was trying to keep the hate to a minimum from those people lol.

Mitchell55
02-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Replace McLain with Clausen and replace Lefevour with a ILB

JCBills
02-09-2010, 04:02 PM

Troup also had far from a mediocre year, he anchored UCF's #4 ranked run D. Have you seen him play outside of the Shrine Game?

JCBills
02-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Replace McLain with Clausen and replace Lefevour with a ILB

Yeah that's basically what my first mock was, didn't post it on these boards though. I'm all for Clausen, but McClain at #9 is tempting as well. I still think Brohm can come around, so that's why I'm not too sure on a 1st round QB.

Ingtar33
02-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Troup also had far from a mediocre year, he anchored UCF's #4 ranked run D. Have you seen him play outside of the Shrine Game?

you mean his whole 21 tackles in 13 games? or was it his 2 sacks?

dude. please.

He was not even the best player on his line, the ends on his team were fantastic and made all the plays for that team. This is basically what suckered the Bills into drafting McCargo in round 1... solid DT with no stats surrounded by great talent.

kernowboy
02-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Meredith as the starting LT?

So you want the QB on IR before the end of pre-season?

Mitchell55
02-09-2010, 06:47 PM

Merideth was our best OT last year after Butler and while its not saying much, its pretty good for it being his only game expierence.

JCBills
02-09-2010, 09:14 PM
you mean his whole 21 tackles in 13 games? or was it his 2 sacks?

dude. please.

He was not even the best player on his line, the ends on his team were fantastic and made all the plays for that team. This is basically what suckered the Bills into drafting McCargo in round 1... solid DT with no stats surrounded by great talent.

Lol, you're looking at tackles for a two gap DT. Seriously?

The ends made all the plays why? They had a monster DT taking up multiple blockers every play.

The McCargo comparison doesn't stick, he's a completely different type of player. That defense also had Manny Lawson. Even Stephen Tulloch ended up starting for Tennessee.

JCBills
02-09-2010, 09:17 PM

Meredith's numbers in his limited snaps are far more impressive than our other LTs.

Demetrius Bell:

8 GP 8 GS
8 Penalties (+2 declined)

Snaps: 472
QB Sacks Allowed: 5
QB Hits Allowed: 7
QB pressured: 18

Kirk Chambers:

14 GP 9 GS
5 Penalties (+1 Declined)

Snaps: 588
QB Sacks Allowed: 7