PDA

View Full Version : Aggression is the key

kernowboy
02-08-2010, 06:15 AM
Both on offensive and defensive, the Saints made 'aggressive' calls which I think made the difference.

The bend but don't break philosophy has had its the day. After all the opposition can't hurt you if they don't have the ball. The don't break philosophy is almost death by a thousand cuts.

On defence, you have to risk the occasional big play to knock the QB of his stride. Effective blitzing means the QB cannot settle and even the greats like Manning succumb to the pressure.

I hope Gailey and Edwards were taking notes

YardRat
02-08-2010, 06:23 AM
I give Sean Payton all of the credit in the world...he personified the term 'play to win' yesterday.

Overall, though, IMO it was a very boring game to watch, like seeing kids playing catch in the back yard. It got to the point very quickly where you could stop watching for either of the defenses to make a play, but rather wait to see which offense screwed up.

Historian
02-08-2010, 06:41 AM
The bend but don't break philosophy has had its the day.

Yea, we lost four Super Bowls that way.

:ill:

ddaryl
02-08-2010, 07:30 AM
bend don't break has never served us well in the end

although I think there is a time to play bend don't break and then there is a time to be aggressive. That's the real genius in coaching... Making the right calls at the right time

NorthCarBills
02-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Both on offensive and defensive, the Saints made 'aggressive' calls which I think made the difference.

The bend but don't break philosophy has had its the day. After all the opposition can't hurt you if they don't have the ball. The don't break philosophy is almost death by a thousand cuts.

On defence, you have to risk the occasional big play to knock the QB of his stride. Effective blitzing means the QB cannot settle and even the greats like Manning succumb to the pressure.

I hope Gailey and Edwards were taking notes

I was absolutely thinking about this too (when watching the game yesterday). It was 180 degrees apart from the Bills on so many levels - play calling, defensive philosophy, game time adjustments, pre-game planning, etc.

Beebe's Kid
02-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Did "bend don't break," ever have it's day?

It seems that true champions play with confidence in the fact that they are the better team, and that they can, and will, win.

I am not being as smart-ass, but who is an example of a champion that bend but didn't break?

That is the epitome of a loser mentality.