PDA

View Full Version : Manning and Brees don't shake hands

Syderick
02-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Manning and Brees don't shake hands, was it unsportsmanlike?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Peyton-Manning-storms-off-Super-Bowl-field-Is-h?urn=nfl,218314

TacklingDummy
02-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Brees blew Manning off.

Night Train
02-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Much ado about nothing.

mrbojanglezs
02-08-2010, 03:24 PM
manning got in touch with him after the game

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/08/brees-says-manning-reached-out-after-game/

tampabay25690
02-08-2010, 03:25 PM
WHO CARES...........
To many things going on after a Superbowl..........
Peyton is a class act, he didnt do it on purpose...

SquishDaFish
02-08-2010, 04:08 PM
People look too much into crap like this. People and players are competitive. What do you expect after losing a BIG game like that.

chernobylwraiths
02-08-2010, 04:23 PM
the writer of the article seems like an idiot

ByrdsTheWord
02-08-2010, 05:00 PM
So if Peyton Manning storms off the field without shaking hands, its OK. But if Belichick storms off the field without shaking hands its an d!ck move. Makes sense.

FlyingDutchman
02-08-2010, 05:05 PM
So if Peyton Manning storms off the field without shaking hands, its OK. But if Belichick storms off the field without shaking hands its an d!ck move. Makes sense.

dude there is no way you can compare those two. Both of them built their own reputation and are thought of a certain way for a reason.

patmoran2006
02-08-2010, 05:06 PM

not just that, but Drayton Florence brought up a good point. He said why is it OK for Manning to avoid shaking hands, but when LeBron James did it last year after the Cavs lost he was crucified in the media.

Having said that, I dont see the big deal. Peyton Manning showed a lot of class and tipped his hat to Brees in the press conference. Even if Manning wasn't instantly in a sportsmen mood, he was pissed off over blowing the game and I'm over it.

BuffaloBlitz83
02-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Ya they killed Lebron over it.

ByrdsTheWord
02-08-2010, 05:12 PM
dude there is no way you can compare those two. Both of them built their own reputation and are thought of a certain way for a reason.

Its the same thing. wtf are you talking about? no matter what rep you have its the same thing. Both Belichick and Manning are top notch competitors that hate to lose.

jamze132
02-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Well what did everyone expect Peyton to do after he single-handily destroyed the hopes and dreams of all Colts players and fans? :idunno:

j/k

jimbledsoe
02-08-2010, 05:30 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Peyton-Manning-storms-off-Super-Bowl-field-Is-h?urn=nfl,218314

Yes, Most players are heart broken after a loss, especially after a Super Bowl loss. But, for the most part they suck it up and do the right thing. Not because they want to , not because they feel like it, but because it is the right thing to do. I think this was a bad move.

Did the Bears QB shake his hand after he lost. Yes. Do you think he wanted the win less than Manning. I do not. He did it because it was right to do.

Bret Farve threw a pick in over time of the Packers vs. Giants NFC Championship game. Did he shake Mannings hand. Yes. Does he want to win less than Peyton Manning. No

FlyingDutchman
02-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Its the same thing. wtf are you talking about? no matter what rep you have its the same thing. Both Belichick and Manning are top notch competitors that hate to lose.

Belichick has a history of being an a$$hole, running up scores, and cheating....Peyton has a history of being a class act, and respectful on all accounts. Do you think they should deserve the same treatment for running off the field? Especially after Peyton just blew the super bowl and was going to have to fight to find Drew. Cmon man use your brain

TacklingDummy
02-08-2010, 06:16 PM
not just that, but Drayton Florence brought up a good point. He said why is it OK for Manning to avoid shaking hands, but when LeBron James did it last year after the Cavs lost he was crucified in the media.

Just the white man trying to keep the African American man down.

tampabay25690
02-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Ya they killed Lebron over it.

Huge difference.........

Football has huge stadiums where you are across the field..
Basketball does anyone even watch??

AndreReed83
02-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Manning wasn't the only Colts player to storm off the field.

BertSquirtgum
02-08-2010, 07:16 PM
who cares?

BillsOwnAll
02-08-2010, 07:57 PM
These are the things you have to think on your own. You cant let the media think for you.

So the media blows up lebron for not shaking hands. If you think it was ok, then who cares what charles barkley says! If you agree manning was ok in not shaking hands then why do you care what the media says!

ByrdsTheWord
02-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Belichick has a history of being an a$$hole, running up scores, and cheating....Peyton has a history of being a class act, and respectful on all accounts. Do you think they should deserve the same treatment for running off the field? Especially after Peyton just blew the super bowl and was going to have to fight to find Drew. Cmon man use your brain

Yes they should deserve the same treatment. Why'd they rag on Lebron as well? Why does he get the treatment? Because he's a black athlete? What lame azz excuse are you gonna give him? Lemme hear it.

FlyingDutchman
02-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Yes they should deserve the same treatment. Why'd they rag on Lebron as well? Why does he get the treatment? Because he's a black athlete? What lame azz excuse are you gonna give him? Lemme hear it.

no dude youre right. peyton was obviously purposely avoiding shaking hands and has a history of doing such low class moves. we should rip him apart for being a classless a$$hole....give me a break dude what the hell are you even arguing here

FlyingDutchman
02-08-2010, 09:06 PM

and why are you bringing lebron and race into this?...and who the hell is "they"...ive been talking about how you personally can group the type of people peyton vs bilicheck are seen as....

Mitchell55
02-08-2010, 09:35 PM
I doubt Hargrove and Manning didnt shake hands. Who cares

LtFinFan66
02-08-2010, 09:38 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Peyton-Manning-storms-off-Super-Bowl-field-Is-h?urn=nfl,218314Manning would have honestly had a hell of a fight on his hands to make it across the field

BertSquirtgum
02-08-2010, 10:09 PM
race has no place here. you guys are making a big deal out of nothing.

LtFinFan66
02-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Yes they should deserve the same treatment. Why'd they rag on Lebron as well? Why does he get the treatment? Because he's a black athlete? What lame azz excuse are you gonna give him? Lemme hear it.:bs:

Brees even said Manning called him later on. leave race out of it

feldspar
02-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Just the white man trying to keep the African American man down.

Hard to keep a multi-millionaire in prime physical shape down, regardless of color. I assume you're kidding.

Anyway, the Saints players were going crazy in celebration, pouring Gatorade on the other Payton, and didn't seem too eager to shake hands with any of the Colts players, either. They obviously had other things on their minds. I didn't even notice it until my girlfriend said "don't the players usually shake hands after the game?" I said, "yeah, come to think of it, I didn't see ANY of that going on." I wasn't really paying attention or looking for it, but I just didn't see it.

Seeing Drew Brees on the edge of tears with his baby boy in his arms was a beautiful sight, though. You don't interrupt a moment like that, granted it didn't happen directly after the clock ran out...but THAT was on Brees' mind, not Manning's sportsmanship or lack thereof. None of the people actually involved have a problem, so why should anybody else?

Dozerdog
02-09-2010, 06:22 AM
such a non- story.

Beebe's Kid
02-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Well then, there you have it...The Apocalypse has come early. This is true front page stuff!!

ByrdsTheWord
02-09-2010, 10:05 AM
no dude youre right. peyton was obviously purposely avoiding shaking hands and has a history of doing such low class moves. we should rip him apart for being a classless a$$hole....give me a break dude what the hell are you even arguing here

We totally should. DUDE. I'm arguing that it was still a dck move and he should be treated the same as Lebron and Belichick.

FlyingDutchman
02-09-2010, 10:39 AM
We totally should. DUDE. I'm arguing that it was still a dck move and he should be treated the same as Lebron and Belichick.

ok bud, Peyton is classless....always has been, and he was obviously trying to be a dck... Happy? :meh:

I KNOW what youre arguing, but its stupid. Im sorry but it is

ByrdsTheWord
02-09-2010, 10:43 AM
ok bud, Peyton is classless....always has been... Happy? :meh:

Dam straight.

LtFinFan66
02-09-2010, 10:44 AM
We totally should. DUDE. I'm arguing that it was still a dck move and he should be treated the same as Lebron and Belichick.I can give LeBron a pass because he has class much like Mr. Manning . Belichick is 100% classless 100% of the time...no pass for him

ByrdsTheWord
02-09-2010, 10:47 AM
I can give LeBron a pass because he has class much like Mr. Manning . Belichick is 100% classless 100% of the time...no pass for him

I'm sure Belichik has said thank you or your welcome some time in his life.

FlyingDutchman
02-09-2010, 10:49 AM
dude youre missing the point and arguing for the sake of it

ByrdsTheWord
02-09-2010, 10:49 AM
dude youre missing the point and arguing for the sake of it

I actually am and its pretty amusing.

BillsMan80
02-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Who gives a rats ass about this. This is such a non-issue. A game like the Super Bowl as soon as the game is over the celebration starts with family members, teammates, they bring the stage out for the Lombardi Trophy presentation. It's absolute mayhem on the field. The winning team goes crazy and it's not exactly like a regular season game where guys can just meet in the middle of an empty field to shake hands. A little more difficult here. A total non-issue. Peyton is one of the classiest players in the game and a great role model for this league in a league filled with scum.

ByrdsTheWord
02-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Who gives a rats ass about this. This is such a non-issue. A game like the Super Bowl as soon as the game is over the celebration starts with family members, teammates, they bring the stage out for the Lombardi Trophy presentation. It's absolute mayhem on the field. The winning team goes crazy and it's not exactly like a regular season game where guys can just meet in the middle of an empty field to shake hands. A little more difficult here. A total non-issue. Peyton is one of the classiest players in the game and a great role model for this league in a league filled with scum.

But do we know the REAL Peyton Manning? I'm sure we've all said the same thing about Marvin Harrison and Tiger Woods.

FlyingDutchman
02-09-2010, 10:56 AM
But do we know the REAL Peyton Manning? I'm sure we've all said the same thing about Marvin Harrison and Tiger Woods.

dude now youre just going down a rabbit hole. have fun amusing yourself here. im out

ByrdsTheWord
02-09-2010, 10:58 AM
dude now youre just going down a rabbit hole. have fun amusing yourself here. im out

I'm being serious here. Wasn't Tiger supposed to be the ultimate role model? How about "Why do all WR's have to be divas...Why can't all WR's be like Marvin Harrison?"

We don't know any of these celebrity athletes. I'll just sit here and wait for the possibility of a Peyton Manning sex scandal.

feldspar
02-09-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm being serious here. Wasn't Tiger supposed to be the ultimate role model? How about "Why do all WR's have to be divas...Why can't all WR's be like Marvin Harrison?"

We don't know any of these celebrity athletes. I'll just sit here and wait for the possibility of a Peyton Manning sex scandal.

Gotta agree with you here.

Remember Eugene Robinson? He won the Bart Starr award for his "high moral character" the day before he was to play in the Super Bowl. That very night, he was arrested for attempting to pick up a prostitute...again, the night before he was to play in the Super Bowl, where he played like crap.

People throw around the word "class" and the phrase "stand-up guy" all the time about athletes they've never even met . This is based on how these guys conduct themselves at their jobs and in public, generally. Gotta think that at least some of these guys are just good actors.

Tiger Woods is a very good example, actually.

FlyingDutchman
02-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Gotta agree with you here.

Remember Eugene Robinson? He won the Bart Starr award for his "high moral character" the day before he was to play in the Super Bowl. That very night, he was arrested for attempting to pick up a prostitute...again, the night before he was to play in the Super Bowl, where he played like crap.

People throw around the word "class" and the phrase "stand-up guy" all the time about athletes they've never even met . This is based on how these guys conduct themselves at their jobs and in public, generally. Gotta think that at least some of these guys are just good actors.

Tiger Woods is a very good example, actually.

wait a minute, let me get this straight...so you guys are turning peyton manning running off the field bc he was letting Brees have his moment.......into........ Peyton is probably a POS and has skeletons in his closet bc people (who have nothing to do with Peyton) who were thought of having class turned out to have issues....i mean seriously....you guys are just taking this crap and running a marathon with it......get over it, its nothing

ByrdsTheWord
02-09-2010, 05:08 PM
wait a minute, let me get this straight...so you guys are turning peyton manning running off the field bc he was letting Brees have his moment.......into........ Peyton is probably a POS and has skeletons in his closet bc people (who have nothing to do with Peyton) who were thought of having class turned out to have issues....i mean seriously....you guys are just taking this crap and running a marathon with it......get over it, its nothing

Tell Peyton Manning i said whats up since you seem to know him on a personal level.

FlyingDutchman
02-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Tell Peyton Manning i said whats up since you seem to know him on a personal level.

and you do? what does he owe you money or something?

FlyingDutchman
02-09-2010, 06:39 PM

and this response (like many of your posts), have nothing to do with the point i made. you just go off in weird directions

ByrdsTheWord
02-09-2010, 09:02 PM
and you do? what does he owe you money or something?

Im not the one saying he's a model citizen and this super nice guy by seeing what he's like on TV. You seem to know him pretty well. What does he like to eat for lunch?

If Tiger WOods can be that flawed, then anybody can. I'm not as naive as you.

ByrdsTheWord
02-09-2010, 09:02 PM
and this response (like many of your posts), have nothing to do with the point i made. you just go off in weird directions

Not really. It has EVERYTHING to do with the point you didnt make.

FlyingDutchman
02-09-2010, 09:21 PM
dude are you 15 or just stoned? i dont know what to make of half of the diarrhea you post on here....

ByrdsTheWord
02-09-2010, 09:25 PM
dude are you 15 or just stoned? i dont know what to make of half of the diarrhea you post on here....

Thats a shame because you're missing out on a lot of knowledge. Maybe this is why you lack the smarts.
:pirate2:

FlyingDutchman
02-09-2010, 09:30 PM
yeah i was just about to say how listening to you makes me feel smarter

ByrdsTheWord
02-09-2010, 09:39 PM
yeah i was just about to say how listening to you makes me feel smarter

Seee. You finally admit it.

Your welcome.

FlyingDutchman
02-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Seee. You finally admit it.

Your welcome.

*you're

ByrdsTheWord
02-09-2010, 09:44 PM
*you're

Your welcome.

Pinkerton Security
02-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Your welcome.

must be the possessive form of the word. as in "here, take back your welcome because you forgot it somewhere"

ByrdsTheWord
02-09-2010, 09:49 PM
must be the possessive form of the word. as in "here, take back your welcome because you forgot it somewhere"

Yup...exactly.

G Wolly
02-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Peyton let Brees enjoy his moment.

Plus Brees outplayed Manning, IMO and although Peyton doesn't lose too often anymore.

When he does lose, especially in an irrelevant game like the Super Bowl, I'm sure he just skips the whole angry, upset phase and goes straight to congratulatory mode. As most of us would.

He's like the popular guy at school who gets embarrassed by the new kid. He may not have skeletons in his closet or affairs, but when he gets taken down a peg, he won't take it lightly.

feldspar
02-10-2010, 04:16 PM

No, the point is that you and I don't know Manning or ANY of the athletes people revere. Most people meet a few on a superficial level if they are lucky. It's not a hard notion to grasp, and it's absolutely true. It's also not to hard to understand why someone would bring up this FACT when people feel the need to judge someone they don't know and have never met, be that judgment negative or positive. I'm sure althetes all have bad aspects to their personality just like anyone else. After all, they're only human. Personally, I never even insinuated that Manning is "probably a POS" or anything like that. He seems like a pro's pro. His private life is just that, private. His public persona is just that, too. Any person is a lot more than what his reputation says he is.

There's only so much more you can say after everyone basically agrees that Manning not shaking hand with Brees was no big deal. I don't know what your problem with what ByrdsTheWord's point is or why you believe that this point has no place in this thread.

Those examples like Tiger Woods and Eugene Robinson were given to illustrate that people can easily get the wrong idea about an athlete or celebrity, not to say that if they did it, Peyton must have too...that leap was not taken. I never slammed Petyon Manning or even said that I have any reason to suspect him of anything. You may feel you know him because he's on TV all the time, but you don't.

Why don't you just concede the point and then move on? It's a valid point.

FlyingDutchman
02-10-2010, 04:31 PM
No, the point is that you and I don't know Manning or ANY of the athletes people revere. Most people meet a few on a superficial level if they are lucky. It's not a hard notion to grasp, and it's absolutely true. It's also not to hard to understand why someone would bring up this FACT when people feel the need to judge someone they don't know and have never met, be that judgment negative or positive. I'm sure althetes all have bad aspects to their personality just like anyone else. After all, they're only human. Personally, I never even insinuated that Manning is "probably a POS" or anything like that. He seems like a pro's pro. His private life is just that, private. His public persona is just that, too. Any person is a lot more than what his reputation says he is.

There's only so much more you can say after everyone basically agrees that Manning not shaking hand with Brees was no big deal. I don't know what your problem with what ByrdsTheWord's point is or why you believe that this point has no place in this thread.

Those examples like Tiger Woods and Eugene Robinson were given to illustrate that people can easily get the wrong idea about an athlete or celebrity, not to say that if they did it, Peyton must have too...that leap was not taken. I never slammed Petyon Manning or even said that I have any reason to suspect him of anything. You may feel you know him because he's on TV all the time, but you don't.

Why don't you just concede the point and then move on? It's a valid point.

bc its not a valid point. you guys are going off in so many different directions i dont even know what to say. i dont feel that i know him or anything like that, i just dont need to go reading between the lines and trying to guess what a guy is all about bc other guys turned out to be scum. his personal life is not on trial here. were are talking about how he conducts himself on and off the field while in the spot light, and its been nothing but class so why should i think any different? is there a possibility hes an ass in real life? sure there is. but we're talking about the sportsman he is. ive met ben roethlisberger a few times and hes the biggest ***** in the world, but hes still a good sport and says the right things. the references to tiger really have no place here. sure tiger was thought of having class and had obvious issues, why the hell does that tie into peyton manning running off the field? as far as byrdstheword, i tried having civil convos with him til i realized hes here to shake the bee hive to see who tries to sting him back.

FlyingDutchman
02-10-2010, 04:36 PM
and if your point is you can think you know someone and something can happen to prove you really dont, then sure i agree with that. thats just life. but i just dont see how that ties into that subject at hand which was, did peyton purposely try to do what he did, and i think you know the answer to that

feldspar
02-10-2010, 04:53 PM
bc its not a valid point. you guys are going off in so many different directions i dont even know what to say. i dont feel that i know him or anything like that, i just dont need to go reading between the lines and trying to guess what a guy is all about bc other guys turned out to be scum. his personal life is not on trial here. were are talking about how he conducts himself on and off the field while in the spot light, and its been nothing but class so why should i think any different? is there a possibility hes an ass in real life? sure there is. but we're talking about the sportsman he is. ive met ben roethlisberger a few times and hes the biggest ***** in the world, but hes still a good sport and says the right things. the references to tiger really have no place here. sure tiger was thought of having class and had obvious issues, why the hell does that tie into peyton manning running off the field? as far as byrdstheword, i tried having civil convos with him til i realized hes here to shake the bee hive to see who tries to sting him back.

We aren't "going off in so many different directions," just one. Yet again, the only point is that you don't know Peyton Manning...a point you just unintentionally conceded. It's that simple. There really is nothing more to it.

I can't speak for ByrdsTheWord, but I'm not even beginning to put Manning on trial in any way. Did you even read the whole post you are responding to? Read it again and save me the trouble of repeating myself.

As I said before, I think Manning's running off the field was no big deal, as does everyone else in this thread. The point I went with was meant to draw the conversation, which was going nowhere, to a deeper level. What's so hard to understand? I could be talking about Peyton Manning, Richard Simmons, or the guy under the Barney suit: I would be saying the same things. I could also say that there are guys that do fantastic things that we don't know about, and the point would be the same. If you don't like the point or don't feel it belongs in the thread, let a couple more people say they don't care about Manning's not shaking Brees' hand, and let the thread die.

FlyingDutchman
02-10-2010, 04:59 PM
great so sometimes you think you know some people in life, and sometimes it turns out you really dont.....i understand that....I just dont understand why you even went down this avenue. thats all im saying

feldspar
02-10-2010, 05:20 PM
great so sometimes you think you know some people in life, and sometimes it turns out you really dont.....i understand that....I just dont understand why you even went down this avenue. thats all im saying

Well, first of all, somebody else did first. I followed the lead because I thought it was relevent in a thread that begs that we judge Manning in one way or another.

ByrdsTheWord
02-10-2010, 06:42 PM

Unless you know Peyton on a personal level, you can't say what kinda person he REALLY is. Plain and simple.

FlyingDutchman
02-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Unless you know Peyton on a personal level, you can't say what kinda person he REALLY is. Plain and simple.

fantastic, we're talking about what kind of sport he is. youre the one who went off in the personal credibility direction. plain and simple

FlyingDutchman
02-10-2010, 09:28 PM

see, heres where your stoned ass started getting all weird

ByrdsTheWord
02-11-2010, 10:21 AM
see, heres where your stoned ass started getting all weird

Not my fault you fail to see the logic behind this.

FlyingDutchman
02-11-2010, 11:06 AM
maybe a bong hit will help me

ByrdsTheWord
02-11-2010, 12:56 PM
maybe a bong hit will help me

Go for it. Wouldn't hurt to kill more brain cells that you already lack.

feldspar
02-11-2010, 03:32 PM
fantastic, we're talking about what kind of sport he is. youre the one who went off in the personal credibility direction. plain and simple

It all ties in, though. You don't even know what kind of sport he is unless you really know him. There are a lot of politics in football, a lot of effort is put into saying certain things and acting in an acceptable way. A certain image is trying to be projected. A lot of money is at stake for anyone that openly acts like a bad sport. NFL players are probably among the most competitve guys you'll ever meet. If you are THAT competitive and lose, you probably won't be a good sport about it, whether you express your feelings or not...this is seen as a positive thing by a lot of people as long as you don't act out. WIN WIN WIN; that's what it's all about, right? At least Tom Brady was honest about it and said he is not at all happy for the other team when he loses...HE wants to win. Is THAT being a bad sport? Or is that having a "winning mentality?"

You have to understand that these guys suck it up and downplay what they really think and feel in public. They are actually coached up on it. Just like you never hear these guys swear...does that mean none of them use foul language? No, media relations and the image you project are games, too. Some players talk smack, but there is always a backlash to doing that.

Am I saying that Manning is a bad sport? No, that's relative. He does the right things all the time. He seems like a good sport. But, pardon the pun, he probably ain't no Saint, either. As someone once said, "everyone is normal until you get to know them." I don't know what Manning really thinks because I don't know him. I have no reason to suspect him of anything. He's a great football player that never gets into trouble.

I hope you don't just take everything at face value. If you do, good luck in life.

G Wolly
02-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Go for it. Wouldn't hurt to kill more brain cells that you already lack.

That doesn't make sense