David Carr, a free option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Carr, a free option?

A guy people forget about is David Carr. Here are some reasons to consider him

1. He’s not costing anything as a UFA and we need to retain all our picks

2. He has decent size and decent arm strength for a QB, raw materials that Gailey & Cortez can work with

3. Even when he was getting sacked senseless in Houston he was still in positive figures TD v INT for some of the seasons

4. He’s rebuilt a lot of his confidence in NYG behind a decent OL

5. His performance last season was better than the much championed Vick despite Vick actually starting a game

6. Between 2004-06 his QB rating was higher each season than Vick and he threw for over 1500 more yds. Whilst Vick's athleticism has diminished, Carr has grown accustomed to playing in cold weather

7. He doesn't take bets on how long it will take a dog to drown when holding it under water

Between 2004 and 2006 he was sacked a ridiculous 158 times because Houston thought they could get away with lower ranked OTs and guards out of position. Yet he still threw for 41 TDs v 37 INTS and an average of 8,786yds.

Its almost imaginable any QB performing much better behind that joke of a line and I think with a R1 LT being draft we could get at least 3-4 years out of him and not panic in drafting a QB but wait for someone like Andrew Luck to become available
  • kelly2reed4six
    • Dec 2008

Re: David Carr, a free option?

I'll pass. I think the guy could POSSIBLY pull a good year out of his a$$ with the right coaches and system, but it's not worth taking the risk and wasting yet another year away. I would much rather have a veteran guy like Pennington, Kitna, or even Garcia who have all had prior success.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

He is (or at least was) a very mobile QB as well. I think he would be a great option for us.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• kelly2reed4six
        • Dec 2008

I do agree that he's a better option than Vick though! If it came down to Carr or Vick I would pray everyday for Carr. We already have two good runners, we don't need a 3rd in Vick; we need a passer.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          • May 2003

Originally posted by jae1986
          I'll pass. I think the guy could POSSIBLY pull a good year out of his a$$ with the right coaches and system, but it's not worth taking the risk and wasting yet another year away. I would much rather have a veteran guy like Pennington, Kitna, or even Garcia who have all had prior success.
          Pennington has a terribly weak arm, and Kitna and Garcia are way past their primes. Carr is only 30 or 31, and his lack of success was due largely to playing for an expansion team with a pathetic O-line.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
            • Nov 2009

I think Carr is a great idea. This dude has all of the tools. He was doomed to fail when Houston drafted him, and I think it speaks very highly of his mental toughness that he is still around looking for a job.

I have said it one hundred times.... I love the "Island of Misfit Toys" approach. If the misfits have talent, and a chip on the shoulder. The bigger the chip the better.

Nobody cares about our football team. That would be all I needed to get these guys fiired up. Paint "**** 'em all!!" on the wall in the locker room, and come out taking chances to win games.

I think Carr could be the best option with some experience. I also like his price.

Comment

• ZAZusmc03
              • Jan 2010

I guess I wouldn't mind it too much, I always thought the kid had talent but didnt ever get a fair chance with a decent team. I wouldnt mind seeing him there this summer competeing with brohm for the starting spot.

Comment

• THRILLHO
                This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
                • Feb 2009

He is no better than any other QB on our roster. We gain nothing from signing him.
                True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  • May 2003

Originally posted by hey2abills
                  He is no better than any other QB on our roster. We gain nothing from signing him.
                  Have you even looked at his numbers in Houston, where he started from his rookie year, and played behind a terrible line his whole time there?

He is far better than Trent and Fitz, and Brohm is a total unknown.

Comment

• ddaryl
                    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by jae1986
                    I do agree that he's a better option than Vick though! If it came down to Carr or Vick I would pray everyday for Carr. We already have two good runners, we don't need a 3rd in Vick; we need a passer.
                    My pet goldfish is a better option then Vick

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

i hate the idea of carr, mcnabb, orton, etc.

Just fix the line first. Let us get a real running game and then dink and dunk your way to 3rd and short first downs.

There is absolutely zero chance the bills are in contention for anything next year. Build the lines and take your lumps. If you have no aspirations to pretend the playoffs are attainable, then we'll develop our run game, develop our line and be in a position to pick a good QB the following year. these are the breaks people. Our team is woefully inadequate. There isn't a quick fix.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

If he doesn't cost a draft pick, bring him to camp. If he doesn't do well in camp cut him.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus
                          i hate the idea of carr, mcnabb, orton, etc.

and live with Trent, Fitz and Trent? You can't sit back and ignore the most important position either.
                          sacrifice1

Comment

• don137
                            • Jul 2002

I saw David Carr play a lot as a season ticket holder of Carolina...I will give a big fat pass. He is the second coming of Rob Johnson. The guy gets rattled easily and what does not show up in his rating is the amount of sacks the guy takes. He absolutely sucked. Now, with that said he did not look as bad when he played in New York as he did in Carolina however I just do not see him fairing well unless the Bills can provide him with a good OL.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by don137
                              I saw David Carr play a lot as a season ticket holder of Carolina...I will give a big fat pass. He is the second coming of Rob Johnson. The guy gets rattled easily and what does not show up in his rating is the amount of sacks the guy takes. He absolutely sucked. Now, with that said he did not look as bad when he played in New York as he did in Carolina however I just do not see him fairing well unless the Bills can provide him with a good OL.
                              unfortunately the same can be said about Trent.
                              sacrifice1

Comment

Working...
                              X