PDA

View Full Version : If Maybin Plays well in 3-4 will...

BuffaloBlitz83
02-10-2010, 07:56 AM
A lot of you shut up about the last year and move forward? Or will you still takes shots at front office for a wasted year. Take shots at him for sucking for a year and holding out?

I will not think of last year for one minute if Maybin has a good season!

SquishDaFish
02-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Def not his fault where he was drafted and where he was put to play. But I will be happy nonetheless and root him on. I think hes going to be very good in that position

OpIv37
02-10-2010, 07:58 AM
I'll continue to take shots at Maybin until he's equal or better than Orakpo because we could have had Orakpo instead.

And if he does well in the 3-4, it just shows how dumb this FO is for drafting a guy who fits a different system.

tampabay25690
02-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Bottom lone when you hold out and want more $$ everyone has the right to bash him...

He shouldnt have been drafted in the 1st place to a team that RAN a Tampa 2...
He SHOULD do much better in a 3-4 but we will see.

If I get paid more and I dont live up to my $$$ I get fired, well he gets a shot to earn his $$ this year..

BuffaloBlitz83
02-10-2010, 08:01 AM
I'll continue to take shots at Maybin until he's equal or better than Orakpo because we could have had Orakpo instead.

And if he does well in the 3-4, it just shows how dumb this FO is for drafting a guy who fits a different system.

Hey OP, does Washington run a 3-4? Just wondering how Orakpo would do in that formation

BuffaloBlitz83
02-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Bottom lone when you hold out and want more $$ everyone has the right to bash him...

He shouldnt have been drafted in the 1st place to a team that RAN a Tampa 2...
He SHOULD do much better in a 3-4 but we will see.

If I get paid more and I dont live up to my $$$ I get fired, well he gets a shot to earn his $$ this year..

My question was If he plays good this season, meaning earns his contract in 2010. Will you harp on 2009?

better days
02-10-2010, 08:04 AM

And if he does well in the 3-4, it just shows how dumb this FO WAS for drafting a guy who fits a different system.

Fixed it for you. The Bills have a NEW FO if you haven't heard.

ChanGailey
02-10-2010, 08:05 AM
Listen, I hated that Maybin held out and I certainly hated what I saw on the field last year, especially when I turn on ESPN and see Orakpo making huge plays.

But I think we can all agree that we're all hoping Maybin DOES play well in the 3-4.

It certainly suits him better. Let's just hope he works hard and puts on a few more pounds and can get after the QB.

Bryce Paup wasn't huge or overly talented. But he was quick, worked hard, played smart.

Jan Reimers
02-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Always move on. It's really counter-productive to continue to worry about the past.

M
02-10-2010, 08:06 AM
I'll always hold it against Maybin for holding out. He played for basically one year in college and thought he was all that and a slice of toast? Please. I still hold it against Whitner for holding out (and I think he only held out for 2 weeks).

OpIv37
02-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Fixed it for you. The Bills have a NEW FO if you haven't heard.

We do? Hmmm.... I could have sworn Brandon, Modrak and Overdorf are still here....

OpIv37
02-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Hey OP, does Washington run a 3-4? Just wondering how Orakpo would do in that formation

They play more of a 4-3, but they had a huge hole at LB and two decent DE's, so Orakpo played a lot of SLB this past season. In a 3-4, the OLB tends to float- sometimes standing up and sometimes putting his hand in the dirt. Considering that Orakpo was good as a hand-in-the-dirt DE in college and as a LB for the Skins last season, I suspect he'd be good for the 3-4 as well.

But, as far as I know he's never played in that D so we don't really know.

Mahdi
02-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Washington is moving to a 3-4 this year under Haslett so we will be able to make direct comparisons between Maybin and Orakpo as both will play rush OLBs.

BuffaloBlitz83
02-10-2010, 08:26 AM
I'll always hold it against Maybin for holding out. He played for basically one year in college and thought he was all that and a slice of toast? Please. I still hold it against Whitner for holding out (and I think he only held out for 2 weeks).

Would you hold it against Phillip Rivers if he was a Bill? He had one of the longest holdouts and had Brees in front of him.

M
02-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Would you hold it against Phillip Rivers if he was a Bill? He had one of the longest holdouts and had Brees in front of him.

Yep. I detest hold-outs. Don't care who they are. :down:

ChanGailey
02-10-2010, 08:37 AM

Great post. Way to make a reasonable comparison.

Oh wait, you didn't.

BuffaloBlitz83
02-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Great post. Way to make a reasonable comparison.

Oh wait, you didn't.

I named a hold out that has had a promising and successful career as a franchise QB. I was seeing if he'd forgive a hold out if they had good seasons. You are the troll Chan

THATHURMANATOR
02-10-2010, 09:04 AM

That is one of the gayest things I have ever heard.

Can't be happy that the player is playing well, must dwell on past nonsense... :ill:

Jan Reimers
02-10-2010, 09:17 AM
We do? Hmmm.... I could have sworn Brandon, Modrak and Overdorf are still here....
Op, I'd be willing to bet that Brandon will have little or no say in player evaluation matters, draft picks, etc., but instead go back to running the business side of the Bills. Everyone also knows that Modrak was our college scouting guy, and did not make the final draft selections under Donahoe, Levy or Brandon/Jauron. In fact, he has long been known as a very good talent evaluator.

And Whaley should be a big improvement over the incompetent John Guy in pro player matters.

If you think an organization always has to have a scorched earth policy in order to improve, I think you're wrong.

patmoran2006
02-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Perhaps more than anybody on this team, this defensive switch is an opportunity for Maybin.

I was in the minority that advocated Maybin's selection over Orakpo and the others; because I envisioned him as a potential Terrell Suggs clone.

Now is his chance.

BuffaloBlitz83
02-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Many blasted Orakpo being from Texas which has had many busts.

OpIv37
02-10-2010, 09:23 AM
That is one of the gayest things I have ever heard.

Can't be happy that the player is playing well, must dwell on past nonsense... :ill:

Every time Orakpo makes a play and Maybin doesn't, it's not the past- it's the present. As long as these two guys are playing, the mistake will be haunting us. And it's mistakes like this that have held this team back for a ****ing decade.

OpIv37
02-10-2010, 09:26 AM
If you think an organization always has to have a scorched earth policy in order to improve, I think you're wrong.

Well, I know that this team has struggled for a decade and all these guys have been a part of it. They've survived 3 FO changes. I can't think of any other industry- or any other team in the NFL- where people can fail that consistently and remain gainfully employed.

better days
02-10-2010, 10:52 AM

It would be smarter to blame his agent. These young kids hire an agent...............then they let the agent do his job as they should. You can blame the agent for taking so long to get the deal done.

BillsWin
02-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Maybin has a lot of work to do to win this fan base over. He was been played in the wrong position for an entire season. I think the potential is there for him to succeed in a 3-4.

Dr. Lecter
02-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Well, I know that this team has struggled for a decade and all these guys have been a part of it. They've survived 3 FO changes. I can't think of any other industry- or any other team in the NFL- where people can fail that consistently and remain gainfully employed.

1. US Government
2. Comcast
3. Detroit Lions
4. NYS government

DBrown77
02-10-2010, 11:30 AM
A lot of you shut up about the last year and move forward? Or will you still takes shots at front office for a wasted year. Take shots at him for sucking for a year and holding out?

Dude, John Wendling had 8 more tackles than our first round pick thats making millions more than him.

Wendling only played special teams. Maybin played special teams and defense.

Everyone has a good reason to criticize.

Maybin - 18 tackles
Wendling - 26 tackles

ddaryl
02-10-2010, 11:38 AM
IF

still doesn't excuse the team for drafting him. We had no business drafting a unproven sophmore, when it was clearly obvious there were better options at #11 last year.

My beef is with this franchise for making these pathetic decisions that haunt us for years

All maybin is to me is something I have to accept, because I know its too late to do anything about it... I hope he does well but he was pathetic in 2009

BuffaloBlitz83
02-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Dude, John Wendling had 8 more tackles than our first round pick thats making millions more than him.

Wendling only played special teams. Maybin played special teams and defense.

Everyone has a good reason to criticize.

Maybin - 18 tackles
Wendling - 26 tackles

Are you Not comprehending? I said IF he has a Great season in Buffalo Next year.

Mahdi
02-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Maybin's first challenge is going to be to add some bulk to his frame. The guy is way to trimmed down and OTs will eat him up.

He is no threat at all to bull rush anyone and as long as that is the case he will always be a one-trick pony that is easily blocked.

EDS
02-10-2010, 01:30 PM

Will everyone think DJ was a good talent evaluator if Maybin is successful? Or will people give credit to Nix for the pick?

Mahdi
02-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Will everyone think DJ was a good talent evaluator if Maybin is successful? Or will people give credit to Nix for the pick?
Nix already stated in a round about kinda way that he was not in favor of the Maybin pick because he doesn't like 1 year wonders.

It's a Jauron/Brandon pick and it may actually pan out if Maybin takes his preparation seriously.

EDS
02-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Nix already stated in a round about kinda way that he was not in favor of the Maybin pick because he doesn't like 1 year wonders.

It's a Jauron/Brandon pick and it may actually pan out if Maybin takes his preparation seriously.

I am hoping for the best, just like everyone else. I just don't know if the soundbites we have been given, such as the one you reference in your post, are the truth or something else.

YoungEz
02-10-2010, 03:24 PM
If he flourishes as LB in a 3-4 it was still a terrible pick... he got picked when we had a 4-3 and as a DE

So ya it would be awesome if he is a beast in the 3-4 but the bills failed because you cannot tell me they drafted him because they knew they would be terrible and switch to a 3-4 with a whole new coaching staff

What organization would give up on a whole season before it even begins?
Maybin turning it around, awesome... bills drafting Maybin epic fail and getting lucky

feldspar
02-10-2010, 05:13 PM
I'll be thrilled if Maybin plays well this year, but I'm not holding my breath. I didn't really expect anything from him this year, even before he held out for so long. I'll forgive, but I won't forget. I won't forget about how he was using Crabtree's unreasonable holdout to get more money for himself, especially since he wasn't even going to contribute that much in the first place.

At the time of the draft, I was less excited about Maybin than I was any of the Bills' draft picks all the way down to round 4...Wood, Byrd, Levitre, and Nelson all gave me a better feeling, regardless of where they were picked.

I would have preferred Orakpo by a mile at the position, or would have preferred Oher by a mile.

I don't feel good about Maybin right now, and I won't until he plays like a high first round draft pick on a consistant basis. People forgave Kelly when he went to the USFL instead of Buffalo, right?

Again, I don't have much confidence of him living up to his draft pick or his salary anyway. It's up to him to make us believe in him; so far, not so good. It's not ALL his fault, but enough of it is.

YardRat
02-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Hope for the best, that's all you can do for both the player and the team.

I'm glad he's getting a shot in the 34, because he was never going to make it as a 43 DE anyway.

Was it a dumbass pick at the time? Absolutely, but we're due to come out smelling like a rose after all the **** we've stepped in.

The Jokeman
02-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Orakpo at 260 lbs has better size than Maybin and by most draft experts thought to be the better prospect yet for some reason we still took Maybin. Time will tell which is better but honestly at 230 lbs Maybin is a bit too small for my liking in a 3-4, as guys like Ware and Harrison, who are that 3-4 OLB should be measured weigh in at about 255 which is about where Orakapo is at 260.

The Jokeman
02-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Many blasted Orakpo being from Texas which has had many busts.
Yeah because PSU's been churning out great talent like Courtney Brown and Michael Haynes. We can hope Maybin turns into another Tamba Hali but I have my doubts.