PDA

View Full Version : Well, we can forget about Pickett and Franklin

ChanGailey
02-10-2010, 09:42 AM
From Rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2231

Beat writer Matt Barrows expects the Niners to retain NT Aubrayo Franklin with the franchise tag.

No surprise here. Franklin is one of the more underrated defensive linemen in the game, helping to free up Patrick Willis for all those tackles. We could get an idea of the team's long-term plans for Franklin by what they do in the draft.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=374

Impending unrestricted free agent NT Ryan Pickett confirmed that he wants to stay in Green Bay.

"Hopefully we can get something done because I love it here," said Pickett, who was the anchor for Green Bay's No. 1 run defense in 2009. It's already been reported that re-signing Pickett is among the Packers' top priorities, so it sounds like a deal should be hammered out. Free agency opens on March 5.

patmoran2006
02-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Decent to Good 3-4 DT's don't fall off trees and won't be avaliable in adundance.

It's highly likely the Bills are going to have to draft a 3-4.

I really see a scenario where they take an OT with the 9th pick and then move back into the first at some point to get the best 3-4 DT on the board.

The Bills commonly move up the draft board, I dont see that changing this year either.

ChanGailey
02-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Yeah, I know. I didn't expect the niners to let Franklin walk. But I was hoping, by some miracle, that Green Bay wouldn't want to pay Pickett because they'll have too much invested in Raji and Kampman (if they re-sign him).

But I've always said that good linemen are rare, so teams don't let good linemen walk. 99% of the time, if a lineman is a free agent, he sucks.

psubills62
02-10-2010, 09:49 AM
I'm pretty sure rotoworld has mentioned before that Casey Hampton is also expected to stay in Pittsburgh.

Ed
02-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Decent to Good 3-4 DT's don't fall off trees and won't be avaliable in adundance.

I really see a scenario where they take an OT with the 9th pick and then move back into the first at some point to get the best 3-4 DT on the board.

The Bills commonly move up the draft board, I dont see that changing this year either.
Well if that's the case, hopefully we trade back up for someone a lot better then McCargo...

Personally, I hope we keep all our picks. I'd rather not spend multiple picks on one player.

Mahdi
02-10-2010, 10:02 AM

So many 3-4 NTs are low round draft picks anyways so why trade back into the first when you can easily grab one in the second or more ideally the third, 4th or 5th?

We have too many other needs to waste high picks on guys that are commonly found later in the draft.

patmoran2006
02-10-2010, 10:20 AM
So many 3-4 NTs are low round draft picks anyways so why trade back into the first when you can easily grab one in the second or more ideally the third, 4th or 5th?

We have too many other needs to waste high picks on guys that are commonly found later in the draft.

You could very well be right. I'm assuming there is a much better DT who grades out to a late first talent.

More than anything, I was pointing out that seems to be the Bills mojo, moving up for a pick earlier than scheduled.. Did it in three of the last four years.

Dicknoze69
02-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Pickett isn't signing here. He reneged on a verbal free agency contract with us a few years back and therefore I think it's highly unlikely the powers that be contact him again.

Mahdi
02-10-2010, 10:30 AM
You could very well be right. I'm assuming there is a much better DT who grades out to a late first talent.

More than anything, I was pointing out that seems to be the Bills mojo, moving up for a pick earlier than scheduled.. Did it in three of the last four years.
Yeah, I think we need our picks though. If anything I think we should move down in the first round and pick up an extra 2nd rounder.

DraftBoy
02-10-2010, 10:35 AM
No surprise here at all.

mrbojanglezs
02-10-2010, 11:51 AM
pretty obvious that this was gonna happen

bigbub2352
02-10-2010, 12:28 PM
i think we should throw our TO savings at Hampton or Wilfork anyway

i like them 2 a heck of alot more