PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo seven round mock

BillsWin
02-11-2010, 01:17 AM
1. Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma- The Bills have lacked a franchise QB since Jim Kelly retired a decade ago. They have failed at replacing the Hall of Fame signal caller in almost every way. They have traded away a first for an aging veteran. They have traded away for a "promising" backup. They have taken a second tier QB in the bottom of the first. They have looked to later rounds, and signed journey man career backups. Something the Bills haven't done this decade is draft a QB in the top half of the first round. Its always a gamble taking a QB in round one, but almost any top ten pick is a gamble. Bradford is THE best quarterback in this draft. Questions about his shoulder injury will soon be answered, but at nine if he is available he is worth the pick. The Bills can't afford to put a rookie QB behind the line they fielded last season. While Bell may turn out to be a solid player, he is unproven and disappointing so far. So with no left tackle, the smart money would be to let Bradford sit until he is comfortable with the playbook and our line has proven itself. If Bradford is there at nine, you take him. It will put butts in the seats and eventually wins on the stat sheets.

2. Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama- I believe that Cody slips into the second. I also believe that he is too good to pass up here. The Bills will be looking for a dominant, and large 3-4 NT to eat up space in the middle. At 6-4 370 he certainly is big enough. Working with the new strength and conditioning coaches, there is a good possibility Cody could become a dominant force in the NFL. If Cody is there, I doubt the Bills (so intent on making a switch to the 3-4) pass on him.

3. Jason Fox, OT, Miami- He has injury concerns. Knee surgery, and an irregular heartbeat that held him out of a game his senior year. But, he is a good prospect. Once considered a high second round pick he slips to the Bills in the third. If he has proven he can bounce back from the surgery he is a solid pick up here. I project him as a left tackle. I've seen people project him right too. I think we have hidden gems on our roster with Bell and Merideth. But they need the right coaching and blocking scheme to succeed. Butler will also be back. Fox is an insurance policy with tremendous upside.

4. Jermaine Cunningham, 3-4 OLB, Florida- Don't know if he slips, but in this mock he does. Rebuilding the defense takes players and he is a good one.

5. C.J. Wilson, 3-4 DE, East Carolina- 6-3, 280 lbs. Good size. Good quickness. Once again, we are rebuilding a defense. Wilson is an excellent piece. Especially if he can be had in the fifth round!

6. Freddie Barnes, WR, Bowling Green- I look at BPA and this so happens to be a need as well. Barnes put up stellar numbers but the kind of offense run at Bowling Green, and lack of quality opponents will do that to you. Either way, he is an impressive kid. He's also 6-2 and can put some weight on his frame.

7. LaMarcus Coker, RB, Hampton- I think the Bills will look for a speed back to compliment Fred Jackson. I also think they look to move Lynch for picks or players. Lynch isn't a Chan Gailey type player. At least not off the field. On the field he is perfect for Gailey. Coker runs a 4.32 40 time. He is small, but quick. I think he compliments Fred Jackson (Or Marshawn Lynch) well. Coker isn't the ideal player off the field either. He had some drug problems early on in his career. Lately though, he has kept himself out of trouble. Even still, he is a risk. I love his speed though. If the front office wants to steer clear of players with baggage, I'd go BPA.

I'm interested in everyone's opinion. Tear it apart if you'd like. Its just a mock.

SeatownBillsFan21
02-11-2010, 02:38 AM
best one i have seen thus far.

SquishDaFish
02-11-2010, 03:21 AM
Love for that to happen

kernowboy
02-11-2010, 04:03 AM
1. Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma- The Bills have lacked a franchise QB since Jim Kelly retired a decade ago. They have failed at replacing the Hall of Fame signal caller in almost every way. They have traded away a first for an aging veteran. They have traded away for a "promising" backup. They have taken a second tier QB in the bottom of the first. They have looked to later rounds, and signed journey man career backups. Something the Bills haven't done this decade is draft a QB in the top half of the first round. Its always a gamble taking a QB in round one, but almost any top ten pick is a gamble. Bradford is THE best quarterback in this draft. Questions about his shoulder injury will soon be answered, but at nine if he is available he is worth the pick. The Bills can't afford to put a rookie QB behind the line they fielded last season. While Bell may turn out to be a solid player, he is unproven and disappointing so far. So with no left tackle, the smart money would be to let Bradford sit until he is comfortable with the playbook and our line has proven itself. If Bradford is there at nine, you take him. It will put butts in the seats and eventually wins on the stat sheets.

2. Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama- I believe that Cody slips into the second. I also believe that he is too good to pass up here. The Bills will be looking for a dominant, and large 3-4 NT to eat up space in the middle. At 6-4 370 he certainly is big enough. Working with the new strength and conditioning coaches, there is a good possibility Cody could become a dominant force in the NFL. If Cody is there, I doubt the Bills (so intent on making a switch to the 3-4) pass on him.

3. Jason Fox, OT, Miami- He has injury concerns. Knee surgery, and an irregular heartbeat that held him out of a game his senior year. But, he is a good prospect. Once considered a high second round pick he slips to the Bills in the third. If he has proven he can bounce back from the surgery he is a solid pick up here. I project him as a left tackle. I've seen people project him right too. I think we have hidden gems on our roster with Bell and Merideth. But they need the right coaching and blocking scheme to succeed. Butler will also be back. Fox is an insurance policy with tremendous upside.

4. Jermaine Cunningham, 3-4 OLB, Florida- Don't know if he slips, but in this mock he does. Rebuilding the defense takes players and he is a good one.

5. C.J. Wilson, 3-4 DE, East Carolina- 6-3, 280 lbs. Good size. Good quickness. Once again, we are rebuilding a defense. Wilson is an excellent piece. Especially if he can be had in the fifth round!

6. Freddie Barnes, WR, Bowling Green- I look at BPA and this so happens to be a need as well. Barnes put up stellar numbers but the kind of offense run at Bowling Green, and lack of quality opponents will do that to you. Either way, he is an impressive kid. He's also 6-2 and can put some weight on his frame.

7. LaMarcus Coker, RB, Hampton- I think the Bills will look for a speed back to compliment Fred Jackson. I also think they look to move Lynch for picks or players. Lynch isn't a Chan Gailey type player. At least not off the field. On the field he is perfect for Gailey. Coker runs a 4.32 40 time. He is small, but quick. I think he compliments Fred Jackson (Or Marshawn Lynch) well. Coker isn't the ideal player off the field either. He had some drug problems early on in his career. Lately though, he has kept himself out of trouble. Even still, he is a risk. I love his speed though. If the front office wants to steer clear of players with baggage, I'd go BPA.

I'm interested in everyone's opinion. Tear it apart if you'd like. Its just a mock.

A Shocking draft:

A potential injury risk at QB with no protection because the LT we are drafting has health problems which might mean he potentially could be not drafted at all. Bell is not a potential option, he is a career ending injury to the QB accomplice. Meredith was considered to lack the athleticism to play LT coming out.

A fat slob at NT, who is strictly a two down guy only, and will be out of the league within 3 years.

And you don't even use the extra 6th and 7th round picks we got in the Peters and Simpson drafts

JCBills
02-11-2010, 04:57 AM
Can't say I'm a fan.

Also missing 2 picks.

Love the C.J. Wilson pick, loved watching him destroy people at ECU. He's at 284 lbs now, and should have no problem holding up as a 3-4 RE.

That's about the only pick I would be happy with if that went down, except maybe the Barnes pick too.

Dying_-2-_Live
02-11-2010, 05:56 AM
Can't think of a better draft

tampabay25690
02-11-2010, 06:49 AM
Good Mock

Ebenezer
02-11-2010, 06:52 AM
I like the top three...I don't think any of them will be available where you have them slotted :(

NOT THE DUDE...
02-11-2010, 06:59 AM
we have 2 6s and 2 7s

TigerJ
02-11-2010, 09:09 AM
I like the picks. I would really want the Bills to do their due diligence on a pick like Fox who is both an injury and medical concern.

THATHURMANATOR
02-11-2010, 09:14 AM
A Shocking draft:

A potential injury risk at QB with no protection because the LT we are drafting has health problems which might mean he potentially could be not drafted at all. Bell is not a potential option, he is a career ending injury to the QB accomplice. Meredith was considered to lack the athleticism to play LT coming out.

A fat slob at NT, who is strictly a two down guy only, and will be out of the league within 3 years.

And you don't even use the extra 6th and 7th round picks we got in the Peters and Simpson drafts
LOL Give it up man..

Shocking draft on what planet? That would be a phenominal draft.

Don't act like your LT scenario is the only plausible option because it really isn't.

DraftBoy
02-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Your top three all have serious red flag issues about injuries, laziness, and overall health. That's a very risky draft for one that is so vitally important.

I dont even have Cunningham going in the top 5 Rounds so I think you're reaching for him at 4. You're going to need to move Wilson up to at least the 4th, potentially the 3rd.

Barnes is a good value pick that late, but I can't imagine him slipping so far.

Coker you could get as a UDFA more than likely, so little reason to draft him.

Overall I dont like the draft, you provide us with little to no depth defensively, even though we are switching to a new scheme and we have said we will not be big time players in FA. You are taking far more risk than nearly any GM would be comfortable with and you have a lot of reaches or guys dropping in order to pick them, imo.

Overall Id say somewhere around a C to C+.

SaviorEdwards
02-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Sigh, no Tebow

THATHURMANATOR
02-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Sigh, no Tebow
LOL

BillsWin
02-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Thanks everyone for the input both negative and positive. I'll make adjustments later and add in the two extra picks.

SABURZFAN
02-11-2010, 09:56 AM
i don't really care for that draft. another 1st rounder standing on the sidelines, a 2nd rounder who is rounder than round and will continue to get rounder, and a 3rd rounder who i would consider in the 5th if he were there.

Ron Burgundy
02-11-2010, 10:27 AM
I think Terrence Cody is going to shock some people on this board.

He's a beast. The guy simply crushes the pocket. I can understand how the weight could be an issue but it doesn't seem to slow the effectiveness of Shaun Rogers or Pat Williams, for example.

Dr. Lecter
02-11-2010, 10:30 AM
I think Terrence Cody is going to shock some people on this board.

He's a beast. The guy simply crushes the pocket. I can understand how the weight could be an issue but it doesn't seem to slow the effectiveness of Shaun Rogers or Pat Williams, for example.

Pat was overweight, but not to Cody's level and was not that bad when he was in early 20s. If Cody continues to expand, he will have significant problems.

As for Rogers, not sure I completely agree, but even if I do, you are using the exception to prove the rule. More often than not, problems like Cody's need to be corrected to have a successful and long NFL career.

Ron Burgundy
02-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Pat was overweight, but not to Cody's level and was not that bad when he was in early 20s. If Cody continues to expand, he will have significant problems.

As for Rogers, not sure I completely agree, but even if I do, you are using the exception to prove the rule. More often than not, problems like Cody's need to be corrected to have a successful and long NFL career.

Williams and Cody are most likely about the same weight. Rogers is also a fatass.

The kid needs better management, but it is by no means unfixable.

THATHURMANATOR
02-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Williams and Cody are most likely about the same weight. Rogers is also a fatass.

and as mentioned has passion to play football.

Mahdi
02-11-2010, 10:37 AM

Would be very happy with that. Although, I am worried about the Cody pick. When you are that fat having more money tends to make you fatter.

I would rather draft a NT later such as Cam Thomas as others have suggested or other prospects.

Still I would be satisfied with that draft assuming Bradford bulks up a little. He is a bit frail for the NFL.

DraftBoy

But not when Williams was only 21.

Williams has put on the weight yes, but he did not come into the league at such a grotesque size.

If Cody sheds 15-20 by the combine he'll be fine, if he's still 370ish, then his stock is going to drop. Nobody wants another Andre Smith.

Ron Burgundy
and as mentioned has passion to play football.

He was a monster at 'bama. I'd like to see him in Buffalo, without question if he slides to the second day.

Ron Burgundy
02-11-2010, 10:38 AM
But not when Williams was only 21.

Williams has put on the weight yes, but he did not come into the league at such a grotesque size.

If Cody sheds 15-20 by the combine he'll be fine, if he's still 370ish, then his stock is going to drop. Nobody wants another Andre Smith.

A guy that size can drop 15 pounds just by cutting out sweets.

I want him to be down around 340. Certainly attainable.

DraftBoy
02-11-2010, 10:40 AM
He was a monster at 'bama. I'd like to see him in Buffalo, without question if he slides to the second day.

But only when he wanted to be, he takes plays off and is extremely lazy.

He's not nearly as good as he could be. That's a big time concern.

Dr. Lecter
02-11-2010, 10:40 AM

Of course he can. Will he? A guy like that can also put on 15 pounds at dinner tomorrow night.

I agree if he comes in at 340 he is a beast. But being that large at age 21 is a big, huge, fat red flag.

DraftBoy
02-11-2010, 10:41 AM

I agree but he has to want it, and show he can. And the combine isnt it, he better be down to to 330-340 by his pro day as well, one small slip up and his stock is in the 2nd-3rd Day.

Ron Burgundy
02-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Like I said, Cody is going to surprise some people on this board.

DraftBoy
02-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Like I said, Cody is going to surprise some people on this board.

I hope so because from what Ive seen or heard so far football is one of the furthest things from his mind.

THATHURMANATOR
02-11-2010, 12:04 PM
I hope so because from what Ive seen or heard so far football is one of the furthest things from his mind.
What have you "heard" and from who?

DraftBoy
02-11-2010, 12:06 PM
What have you "heard" and from who?

That he is lazy, doesn't work out very hard, does not stick to his nutritional plans. Is looking forward to his contract and getting paid...stuff like that.

Ive heard it from people who are close to SEC and ACC programs, people I have made contact with in the past few years who are good for tidbits here and there.

THATHURMANATOR
02-11-2010, 12:14 PM
That he is lazy, doesn't work out very hard, does not stick to his nutritional plans. Is looking forward to his contract and getting paid...stuff like that.

Ive heard it from people who are close to SEC and ACC programs, people I have made contact with in the past few years who are good for tidbits here and there.
Cool thanks!

Do these people think he is a lost cause or is there still hope. He is great when he plays hard

DraftBoy
02-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Cool thanks!

Do these people think he is a lost cause or is there still hope. He is great when he plays hard

Guy is never a lost cause till he proves himself though. They have doubts but he is coachable and can be motivated.

How consistently though is the question.