PDA

View Full Version : Lack of a CBA

kernowboy
02-11-2010, 04:15 AM
Fans need to remember that when clamouring for Free Agents, that because of a lack of a Collective Bargain Agreement, a number of players who would have been UFA, are now RFA.

This means that their current team can tender them an offer, if we sign that player we have to give up draft picks.

Because of the lack of genuine free agents, those tenders are likely to be higher than in previous years.

YardRat
02-11-2010, 04:45 AM
Might as well cross anybody off of the list that has RFA attached to it and not even bother with them, especially considering the compensation that would have to be given up even if the contract numbers seem "do-able".

Ickybaluky
02-11-2010, 05:41 AM
Here are the tender amounts:

Four accrued seasons -- 2006 Draft Class

Original draft pick compensation -- $1.176K
2nd-round tender -- $1.759K
1st-round tender -- $2.521K
1st- and 3rd-round tender -- $3.168K

Five accrued seasons -- 2005 Draft Class

Original draft pick compensation -- $1.226K
2nd-round tender -- $1.809K
1st-round tender -- $2.621K
1st- and 3rd-round tender -- $3.268K

X-Era
02-11-2010, 06:13 AM
Fans need to remember that when clamouring for Free Agents, that because of a lack of a Collective Bargain Agreement, a number of players who would have been UFA, are now RFA.

This means that their current team can tender them an offer, if we sign that player we have to give up draft picks.

Because of the lack of genuine free agents, those tenders are likely to be higher than in previous years.

I dont think it means they are untouchable, only that it will drastically limit who is in play.

If you remember, we actually landed Takeo Spikes who was on a transition tag.

I think you may see some guys get the "original draft pick" compensation or 2nd round pick compensation.

There may tenders that make some guys worth it:

Troy Smith- 5th rounder if original comp
Marcus McNeil- 2nd rounder
Gabe Watson- 4th rounder if original comp
Elvis Dumervil- 4th rounder if original comp

I dont know what level tender those teams will place on these guys, only that we may see a case or two where it might be worth it.

Buddo
02-11-2010, 09:33 AM
I dont think it means they are untouchable, only that it will drastically limit who is in play.

If you remember, we actually landed Takeo Spikes who was on a transition tag.

I think you may see some guys get the "original draft pick" compensation or 2nd round pick compensation.

There may tenders that make some guys worth it:

Troy Smith- 5th rounder if original comp
Marcus McNeil- 2nd rounder
Gabe Watson- 4th rounder if original comp
Elvis Dumervil- 4th rounder if original comp

I dont know what level tender those teams will place on these guys, only that we may see a case or two where it might be worth it.

The thing is, it isn't that costly to bang in the higher tenders tbh.
Any real talent will get a high tender. McNeil for example, I believe is going to get a 1st and 3rd tender, probably as much as anything just to warn teams off, while they try and negotiate a new deal with him. He was almost re-signed the other year, but got injured, so it was all put on hold.
Wile there will be the odd guy who doesn't necessarily cost too much, mostly, anyone who is remotely capable, is going to get a tender that puts them in 2nd rounder territory.
Someone was saying the other day, probably on BBMB, that they thought we should be able to snag either Brown or Bushrod from the Saints, as both were RFAs, and they wouldn't want to pay for both. The reality is, that to give both of those guys the high tender (1st and 3rd picks), is actually only going to cost just under $6.5 million, which isn't even the going rate for a decent starting LT, let alone two of them.