PDA

View Full Version : Draft Experts - Info Needed

ChanGailey
02-11-2010, 08:36 AM
I think a big debate on this board has been, for good reason, revolving around the QB position. Obviously, our guys have left more to be desired, and with a new regime in place, QB is an issue that needs delving into.

My question to the experts is: What does the 2011 QB crop look like?

The reason I ask, is we've got this guy Brohm, and I want to see what he can do. I want to address the lines and get it to the point where we can run the ball, and stop the run. Protecting the passer would also be nice.

So, by my theories, I'd place OL, DL, and LB all ahead of QB on the list of things to acquire. This draft, as McShay, Kiper and anybody else has stated, is deep at those three positions.

So why take the chance at drafting another bust QB when you have a much better chance to bolster our front 7 on both sides of the ball, become a more physical team, develop that identity, then add a QB. Sanchez was able to succeed, somewhat, because the team already had identity. They ran the ball, and played defense. Most of that was in place with Mangini.

We all know that if we didn't trade our 05 pick to move up and get Losman, we would have had a chance at Aaron Rodgers. Imagine giving Bledsoe one more year and then drafting Rodgers the next season!

I personally think we should wait until next season to draft a QB, that is, if Brohm or Trent or even Fitz don't come out in 2010 and do what's necessary to keep the job. I just feel a good running game with a powerful line breeds QB success.

We all know about Jake Locker next year. But would you say that the QB crop next season will be better than this year? I'm not even high on Bradford or Claussen, so I don't want ANY of this draft's QB's unless it's a super steal in round 4 or later!

(And don't tell me good QB's can't come that late either. See Tom Brady) (And yes, I know that doesn't always happen. But most teams that go all the way have some lightning strike type luck when it comes to player acquisition. Drew Brees could easily be a Dolphin and where would the Saints be then?)

THATHURMANATOR
02-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Good thread. :bf1:

THATHURMANATOR
02-11-2010, 08:45 AM
I will say that I from what I have read here and in other places Locker isn't really a great prospect.

Who else is there?
Mallet
The guy from Stanford that someone was saying is the next Manning.

DesertFox24
02-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Locker is a stud, Mallett, and a bunch of other guys are coming out.

This years QB class is very very weak, but next years will have better potential in terms of starters.

I look at this QB class and I see two guys that could be decent starters but there are no Matt Ryans, Eli's, Rivers, or Big Bens in this class at all.

Personally I agree with you and draft for the lines and Def front 7, and see what Brohm, Edwards, and Fitz can do with Cortez and Gailey teaching them.

Mr. Pink
02-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Alright, the problem with Locker or Mallett is this, if either put up huge years neither will be available to draft when we pick. Unless we're picking top 3-5. If Locker puts up a similar season again, he'll be gone in the top 5 picks. If Mallett does, he's about in the same class of QBs as what we see this year at the top...Bradford and Claussen.

I'm not a fan of drafting either of those QBs with pick 9. I'd prefer Bradford over Claussen though.

I think the way to go is to go after a FA QB or make a trade, perhaps McNabb, to solidify the position for a couple years and either pick up the QB of the future in the 2nd or 3rd round. Lefevour or McCoy as examples. And then the stopgap QB could mentor the youngster and groom him into the role.

However this is a team with many holes, so as long as we go for a quality prospect regardless of position, I would not be upset. Even if we somehow had the luck of having Eric Berry or Joe Haden fall to us.

justasportsfan
02-11-2010, 09:41 AM
You can never know about qb's. the class of Alex Smith and Aaron Rogers supposed to be a weak qb class and look how good Rogers is today. Brees was a 2nd rd qb.

One can argue that it's a risk to grab a qb early but look at guys like Peyton.

I honestly want to go with the route that both MIami and the jets took. They built their OL and then grabbed a qb. Our OL had huge potential before the injuries even with a crappy HC calling the shots.

Things is, who's to say that Brohm can't be developed by Gailey?

One things for sure, whether or not we draft a qb or go with the ones on the roster, Chan will run the ball all day.

Ed
02-11-2010, 10:15 AM
This time last year people were saying that this years qb class is going to be awesome and now look at it. It looks pretty weak with a lot of question marks. So I don't think anyone can really say with any certainty what next years crop is going to look like.

SABURZFAN
02-11-2010, 10:17 AM
other than the ones previously mentioned, you have Devlin from Delaware too. i can't think of their names but if the kids from Fla St. and Iowa have decent years, they may be a possibility. i would also consider Mitch Mustain (sp?), from USC, on a late round flyer.

DraftBoy
02-11-2010, 11:11 AM
other than the ones previously mentioned, you have Devlin from Delaware too. i can't think of their names but if the kids from Fla St. and Iowa have decent years, they may be a possibility. i would also consider Mitch Mustain (sp?), from USC, on a late round flyer.

Cristian Ponder-FSU

Ricky Stanzi-Iowa

And Andrew Luck is the kid from Stanford.

BillsMan80
02-11-2010, 11:22 AM
I think next year's group is weaker than this years. Next years group has the dreaded "p" word, potential being the big thing about them, whereas this year's class of Bradford and Clausen has the right "p" word about them, production. Bradford and Clausen produced in college. Locker and Mallett have not produced in college but have potential. Some times potential doesn't pan out. I'll take production over potential.

TacklingDummy
02-11-2010, 11:30 AM
There is just as many questions marks about the 2011 QB draft crop that there is on the 2010 QB Draft crop.

The faster the Bills find a QB, the faster they turn it around. Personally I don't like Bradford or Clausen but the Bills have to take a chance and hope that one of them is the QB they been looking for if either one is there at #9.

ChanGailey
02-11-2010, 11:37 AM
I think next year's group is weaker than this years. Next years group has the dreaded "p" word, potential being the big thing about them, whereas this year's class of Bradford and Clausen has the right "p" word about them, production. Bradford and Clausen produced in college. Locker and Mallett have not produced in college but have potential. Some times potential doesn't pan out. I'll take production over potential.
College Careers:

Brian Brohm - 10,775 yards, 70td
Sam Bradford - 8,400, 84td
Jimmy Clausen - 8,100, 60 td

I just think, rather than guarantee one of these guys $30 million bucks, why not give our guy who had just as solid a college career the same shot? The risk is ten times lower, and frankly, Brohm has a better, faster release.

Bradford has shoulder issues, on his throwing arm. That's a red flag to me, big time. Add to that, he's strictly ran a shotgun offense on a team that pretty much did just as good when he got hurt. He's the Matt Cassel of college football.

So, IMO, Clausen vs Brohm, I'm goin' Brohm. 6'4", hard worker, a couple years to work on the pro game, favorable cap number. I he doesn't pan out, nothing is really lost and you can take the huge gamble next year, when you have LT who can protect your $30 million dollar rookie QB.

BTW - I know you'll mention Bradford essentially missed an entire season, but that's part of it. If your injured a lot, it doesn't matter how good you are.

DraftBoy
02-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Next years class has a lot of potential and I like it far more than this years class. Ill name off a few more QB's who haven't been named yet in this thread.

Jerrod Johnson-Texas A&M
Case Keenum-Houston
Colin Kaepernick-Nevada
Andy Dalton-TCU
Nathan Enderle-Idaho
Zack Eskridge-Midwestern State
Ben Chappel-Indiana
Adam Weber-Minnesota
Brian Boles-Northwest Missouri State
Cameron Higgins-Weber State
Trevor Vittatoe-UTEP
Justin Roper-Montana
Josh Portis-California (Pa.)
Greg McElroy-Alabama
Trey Revell-ULM

ChanGailey
02-11-2010, 11:43 AM
I think the best bet for this team is to draft a TACKLE, whether offense or defense doesn't matter, in the first round.

Then, in the 2nd round, whichever TACKLE they didn't get in the first, they should take in the 2nd, unless there is some great LB value there.

Then in the 3rd, whoever is left between OT, DT and LB, go with the one that hasn't been chosen.

I think in the 4th you go with a flashy WR/PR type player to add some explosiveness...

From there, BPA. If it's a QB, fine. But I think if we can add 3-4 solid, big, physical guys to our front's, we'll win more games than this year.

And if we don't, we'll have a better pick next year to take our QBOTFuture.

psubills62
02-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Next years class has a lot of potential and I like it far more than this years class. Ill name off a few more QB's who haven't been named yet in this thread.

Jerrod Johnson-Texas A&M
Case Keenum-Houston
Colin Kaepernick-Nevada
Andy Dalton-TCU
Nathan Enderle-Idaho
Ben Chappel-Indiana
Adam Weber-Minnesota
Trevor Vittatoe-UTEP
Justin Roper-Montana
Greg McElroy-Alabama
Trey Revell-ULM
Dalton is a name that intrigues me. TCU's passing offense set school records this past year, right?

Right now, to me Kaepernick seems like a Tony Pike that can run. The guy is tall but skinny as a weed. He's definitely impressed me in the games I've seen, but mostly with his running ability.

DraftBoy
02-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Dalton is a name that intrigues me. TCU's passing offense set school records this past year, right?

Right now, to me Kaepernick seems like a Tony Pike that can run. The guy is tall but skinny as a weed. He's definitely impressed me in the games I've seen, but mostly with his running ability.

Yes TCU did set new passing records and Dalton is a smart QB, he won't wow you physically but he can read defenses and makes the right throw.

Kaepernick has a better arm than Pike too but his rail thin and needs to add weight, plus his body has taken a lot of hits at Nevada.

SABURZFAN
02-11-2010, 12:00 PM

Jerrod Johnson-Texas A&M
Case Keenum-Houston
Colin Kaepernick-Nevada
Andy Dalton-TCU
Nathan Enderle-Idaho
Ben Chappel-Indiana
Adam Weber-Minnesota
Trevor Vittatoe-UTEP
Justin Roper-Montana
Greg McElroy-Alabama
Trey Revell-ULM

i completely forgot about that kid from Houston. i saw a couple games this past season and i thought he did well.

DraftBoy
02-11-2010, 12:01 PM
i completely forgot about that kid from Houston. i saw a couple games this past season and i thought he did well.

Arm strength and system is an issue with Keenum he runs that damned one read spread that I can't stand.

Nighthawk
02-11-2010, 12:24 PM
There is ALWAYS good QB's in the draft...you just have to pick the right one...no matter where you're taking him.

Ground Chuck
02-11-2010, 09:18 PM
I love Mallett

tampabay25690
02-12-2010, 07:10 AM
I love Mallett

Just curious why you Love him that much??
Have you seen him play that much?

He has a great arm but not even close to NFL ready as a player mentally.

PECKERWOOD
02-12-2010, 10:46 AM
This time last year people were saying that this years qb class is going to be awesome and now look at it. It looks pretty weak with a lot of question marks. So I don't think anyone can really say with any certainty what next years crop is going to look like.

Bradford was the top QB prospect last year, he decided to go back to school for another year, now we have the 2010 draft. Clausen is now the top prospect, Bradford the 2nd, so that tells me that this class is likely stronger than last year's class.

DraftBoy
02-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Bradford was the top QB prospect last year, he decided to go back to school for another year, now we have the 2010 draft. Clausen is now the top prospect, Bradford the 2nd, so that tells me that this class is likely stronger than last year's class.

Clausen isn't the top prospect.

X-Era
02-12-2010, 05:09 PM
I think a big debate on this board has been, for good reason, revolving around the QB position. Obviously, our guys have left more to be desired, and with a new regime in place, QB is an issue that needs delving into.

My question to the experts is: What does the 2011 QB crop look like?

The reason I ask, is we've got this guy Brohm, and I want to see what he can do. I want to address the lines and get it to the point where we can run the ball, and stop the run. Protecting the passer would also be nice.

So, by my theories, I'd place OL, DL, and LB all ahead of QB on the list of things to acquire. This draft, as McShay, Kiper and anybody else has stated, is deep at those three positions.

So why take the chance at drafting another bust QB when you have a much better chance to bolster our front 7 on both sides of the ball, become a more physical team, develop that identity, then add a QB. Sanchez was able to succeed, somewhat, because the team already had identity. They ran the ball, and played defense. Most of that was in place with Mangini.

We all know that if we didn't trade our 05 pick to move up and get Losman, we would have had a chance at Aaron Rodgers. Imagine giving Bledsoe one more year and then drafting Rodgers the next season!

I personally think we should wait until next season to draft a QB, that is, if Brohm or Trent or even Fitz don't come out in 2010 and do what's necessary to keep the job. I just feel a good running game with a powerful line breeds QB success.

We all know about Jake Locker next year. But would you say that the QB crop next season will be better than this year? I'm not even high on Bradford or Claussen, so I don't want ANY of this draft's QB's unless it's a super steal in round 4 or later!

(And don't tell me good QB's can't come that late either. See Tom Brady) (And yes, I know that doesn't always happen. But most teams that go all the way have some lightning strike type luck when it comes to player acquisition. Drew Brees could easily be a Dolphin and where would the Saints be then?)

To me it looks a lot like this years draft. Mallett is green as they come and although he is an exciting player, he makes a lot of mistakes too. Locker is the most sure thing but isn't a true blue chipper at this point. He has all the tools but has shown that he can make bad decisions as well. Again, he looks inconsistent. Guys like Luck may grow and flourish into solid 1st rounders, but it isn't like there is a solid #1 overall guy at this point. I could see Mallet just as easily looking mediocre and being a questionable 1st rounder as he could fruther develop and become a high 1st round pick.

The interesting part about the arguments to wait is that its often based on arguments that next years class will be better, which also means that these prospects will likely be taken higher, which then means we need to have a high draft pick to get one.

So, unless we end up really sucking next year, we wont be in position to get these "better" prospects at QB next year.

YardRat
02-12-2010, 05:22 PM
I hope we don't take a QB this year, and aren't in a position to take one early next year, because that means we're going in the right direction and possibly QB is no longer a 'need' position.

PECKERWOOD
02-12-2010, 08:39 PM
We think alike Mr. Gailey, no need for me to argue a single point.

X-Era
02-12-2010, 08:46 PM
I hope we don't take a QB this year, and aren't in a position to take one early next year, because that means we're going in the right direction and possibly QB is no longer a 'need' position.

What a sweet utopia that would be...

BillsWin
02-13-2010, 02:32 AM
Zack Eskridge from Midwestern State is my ultimate QB sleeper. The kid has major talent. Sure, its division II. But I think he could be a viable option at the next level.

Don't Panic
02-13-2010, 07:16 AM
College Careers:

Brian Brohm - 10,775 yards, 70td
Sam Bradford - 8,400, 84td
Jimmy Clausen - 8,100, 60 td

I just think, rather than guarantee one of these guys $30 million bucks, why not give our guy who had just as solid a college career the same shot? The risk is ten times lower, and frankly, Brohm has a better, faster release.

Bradford has shoulder issues, on his throwing arm. That's a red flag to me, big time. Add to that, he's strictly ran a shotgun offense on a team that pretty much did just as good when he got hurt. He's the Matt Cassel of college football.

So, IMO, Clausen vs Brohm, I'm goin' Brohm. 6'4", hard worker, a couple years to work on the pro game, favorable cap number. I he doesn't pan out, nothing is really lost and you can take the huge gamble next year, when you have LT who can protect your $30 million dollar rookie QB.

BTW - I know you'll mention Bradford essentially missed an entire season, but that's part of it. If your injured a lot, it doesn't matter how good you are.

:goodpost:

You make pretty good sense there, coach. Coming along nicely as a member... keep it up.

I will say this... the money is the only thing that would make me choose Brohm over Bradford. I know Bradford's been hurt a bit, but he is a legit pro prospect. I have little doubt about that. I honestly think he's going to be gone at #9 and that it won't be an issue, and I am more than willing to take a good, long look at Brohm this year and build up the team elsewhere.

SeatownBillsFan21
02-13-2010, 02:17 PM
JC is not the top QB in this class Bradford is light years ahead of him. any other year JC would be a second rounder at best.

PECKERWOOD
02-13-2010, 05:28 PM
JC is not the top QB in this class Bradford is light years ahead of him. any other year JC would be a second rounder at best.

How can you say that with such certainty? Jimmy Clausen was running for his life half the time, Bradford on the other hand had a brick wall protecting him along with elite receivers and a very good defense.