PDA

View Full Version : Boding well for Bills future

justasportsfan
02-11-2010, 10:12 AM
“I think we’ve got good young players,” said Nix. “I think this draft, this (past) year, will turn out to be a strong draft.”

Nix along with Vice President of College Scouting Tom Modrak intend to do just that working in concert with Gailey, and that will be important with new offensive and defensive schemes being implemented this offseason.

And with a head coach that has a track record of maximizing the abilities of his players, the chance of seeing players succeed sooner rather than later is all the greater.

“If you put players in an environment out there where they can get better and reach their potential, then we’ll have a good football team,” said Nix.
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Boding-well-for-Bills-future/7b230e7c-4a69-432e-b4aa-f2c0e5a9797f

Griff
02-11-2010, 10:21 AM
of course he says that, he was involved in drafting all but 1 of them.

Beebe's Kid
02-11-2010, 12:25 PM

Do you disagree?

I am of the opinion that if Nix makes a mistake, he would own it. That is just an opinion, based upon how he carries himself. I know people will say, "like Roscoe Peco Train?," but I am not hung up on his patois. I think when he is talking to the reporters he treats them with an attitude of knowing they are not friendly, and being fairly reserved with them.

Last years draft was one of the best in, possibly, the history of the Bills. That is based on the assumption that Maybin fails to produce. If he turns himself into an elite LB in the 3-4, we may have rung the bell on last year's draft.

EDS
02-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Do you disagree?

I am of the opinion that if Nix makes a mistake, he would own it. That is just an opinion, based upon how he carries himself. I know people will say, "like Roscoe Peco Train?," but I am not hung up on his patois. I think when he is talking to the reporters he treats them with an attitude of knowing they are not friendly, and being fairly reserved with them.

Last years draft was one of the best in, possibly, the history of the Bills. That is based on the assumption that Maybin fails to produce. If he turns himself into an elite LB in the 3-4, we may have rung the bell on last year's draft.

1985 remains the highwater mark for Bills drafts. Two potential hall-of-famers and some other dudes with long careers is a high bar to clear.

They key with last years rookie crop will be how well they progress beyond their rookie years. The 2001 draft looked like an absolute home run after year one as well.

Beebe's Kid
02-11-2010, 01:20 PM
1985 remains the highwater mark for Bills drafts. Two potential hall-of-famers and some other dudes with long careers is a high bar to clear.

They key with last years rookie crop will be how well they progress beyond their rookie years. The 2001 draft looked like an absolute home run after year one as well.

I agree. One year in is too hard to gauge the actual success of the draft. It has potential.

I like that you bring up the point of progression, a term foreign to the Bills for a long time. It is hard to find a player that has truly progressed on our team in a long time. Progression is the responsibility of the coaching staff and the organization. The player obviously has to play along, but progression comes from effective teaching and training. We have had none. I think this is why Gailey was hired, and I think that he will do well, and we will be pleasantly surprised.

I have reason to believe that some in the organization have questioned why the players never seem to progress and they do on the good teams in the league. As much as everybody bemoans our players and their lack of talent, I defend them saying there are not really going to be NFLers with no talent. I know that you have to have good players, but coaching is underrated, but we wouldn't know, as it's been a while since we have had a good one, which I like Marv. There are a lot of haters, and as far as I am concerned, they can go crap in their hat. He was a good coach and is an important figure in franchise history. I know the GM thing was rough, but that was harder because of Jauron. It was a class-act CF, and this new crew will prove themselves.

BillsWin
02-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Its a good draft. If Maybin flourishes in the 3-4 its one of the best drafts we have had in years.

EDS
02-12-2010, 08:30 AM
I agree. One year in is too hard to gauge the actual success of the draft. It has potential.

I like that you bring up the point of progression, a term foreign to the Bills for a long time. It is hard to find a player that has truly progressed on our team in a long time. Progression is the responsibility of the coaching staff and the organization. The player obviously has to play along, but progression comes from effective teaching and training. We have had none. I think this is why Gailey was hired, and I think that he will do well, and we will be pleasantly surprised.

I have reason to believe that some in the organization have questioned why the players never seem to progress and they do on the good teams in the league. As much as everybody bemoans our players and their lack of talent, I defend them saying there are not really going to be NFLers with no talent. I know that you have to have good players, but coaching is underrated, but we wouldn't know, as it's been a while since we have had a good one, which I like Marv. There are a lot of haters, and as far as I am concerned, they can go crap in their hat. He was a good coach and is an important figure in franchise history. I know the GM thing was rough, but that was harder because of Jauron. It was a class-act CF, and this new crew will prove themselves.

In fairness to previous regimes, undrafted or low draft picks such as Jabari Greer, George Wilson, Jason Peters, Fred Jackson, Brad Butler are examples of players in recent years who have been developed into competent starting caliber players in the NFL.

The Bills problems have been that they have whiffed early in the draft and failed to acquire and develop elite level talent.

madness
02-12-2010, 10:31 AM

No he wasn't. He was hired right before the draft and went on record saying that he had very little to do with last year's draft since he was brought aboard so late in the process. It's been rumored Modrak finally got more say in the decision process last year so if anything, he gets most of the credit.

Night Train
02-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Its a good draft. If Maybin flourishes in the 3-4 its one of the best drafts we have had in years.

Wood,Levitre,Byrd & Nelson all look like long term starters. Throw in Maybin as an OLB this year and it looks pretty darn good.

bflojohn
02-13-2010, 02:17 PM
The posibilities are exciting IF these coaches are the teachers Chan said he wanted aboard. The litmus test is that players like Maybin, Ellis, Bell, Meredith, S.Johnson, and Byrd either start or continue developing in the systems that are implemented. Players are key, obviously, but playmaking players are the cornerstone of championship teams. The brighter the lights, the better they play hopefully. We'll see evidence of this in 2010, can't wait to see it happen!!
Note: Jairus Byrd is already a playmaker, so let him flourish along with the rest of this team!!! The other element is letting them thrive by making them compete in an environment where they are put in a position to succeed. Nothing could be sweeter to my ears than that folks!!

Oaf
02-13-2010, 08:46 PM
I personally thought 2008's draft class was going to be one of our best ever. Look how that's turned out so far.