PDA

View Full Version : Bills 7 Round Mock

BillsMan80
02-11-2010, 02:47 PM
I'll lay out the top 8 picks in the 1st Round so you can get an idea of where I got my pick at 9 from...Also didn't bother to account for Comp Picks because I have no idea how many and where they may fall as well...

1. St. Louis Rams-Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
2. Detroit Lions-Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers-Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
4. Washington Redskins-Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
5. Kansas City Chiefs-Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
6. Seattle Seahawks-Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
7. Cleveland Browns-Joe Haden, CB, Florida
8. Oakland Raiders-Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers

Finally that brings me to #9 and our pick.

R1 (9). Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
-Bradford is one of the most productive and accurate passers to come out in a long time. Bradford doesn't have a Bledsoe like cannon but he certainly has enough arm to make all the throws. Needs to put on some weight but nothing an offseason conditioning program can't do. And for crying out loud, he's not injury prone. He had one injury, a shoulder injury that got reinjured because he came back to quickly because he's a warrior and wanted to play and is a competitor. He has the accuracy, head, and skills to be an outstanding quarterback in this league for a long time plus he has some escapability and he's a leader. He'll put the team on his back and carry them, a far cry from Trent Edwards. The video below here has yes, highlights, but from those highlights I see a QB who is very accurate and has a very good arm, not struggling to make any throw really at all, as well as being a good passer on the run. Yeah, you can knock the pick and me, but Bradford stablizes this position here for 10+ years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztPkDsOlGzU&feature=related

2 (41). Rodger Saffold, OT, Indiana
-This is exactly the type of player I think that Nix and co. are looking for. Saffold is a veteran, 4-year starter at Left Tackle for Indiana. While it might be a bit of a reach, he was the top player on the field at the East-West Shrine Game, and has 4 years of starting experience and production. Has very good athleticsm needed to handle good outside speed rushers. More of a pass blocker at this point in time but that's fine because we have good road grading run blockers. We need a guy who can pass block and help keep pressure off the edge. Really have liked what I have seen from him and he looks like he can step in right away and start, and has good size at 6-4/6-5 and around 315 pounds.

3 (73). Dexter McCluster, RB/WR, Mississippi
-With TO and Reed possibly on their way out of town, and Lynch possibly joining them, we can get some great value here. I love McCluster this year. He is simply a playmaker and a weapon who can take the ball to the house everytime he touches the ball. Can be used out of the backfield as a runner or receiver, can split him out on the outside as well as use him in the slot. Yeah, we need some linebackers, other linemen, and a big nose tackle, but there are still 4 more rounds left. McCluster is a gamebreaker and we can always use someone like that on offense, especially as Bradford is extremely efficient with screens and short throws to backs and receivers. Certainly had one hell of a college career.

4 (105). Linval Joseph, DT, East Carolina
-A very productive Junior from East Carolina, 60 tackles, 13 tackles for loss, and 3 sacks this past year. At 6-6 he's a little tall, but he tips the scales at 322 pounds which is perfect to anchor the middle of this defense to tie up blockers. With a line of Joseph, Stroud, Johnson, and a free agent, draft pick, etc., we would have a strong line to anchor our front seven with good size and height, to cut down passing lanes and tie up blockers. Could step in and potentially be that anchor or even split time. In addition, Joseph was pretty productive. Another guy who meets the Nix criteria of good solid production. Has good measureables and would be a valuable piece to transition to the 3-4 with.

5 (137). C.J. Wilson, DE, East Carolina
-Back to the well for another East Carolina defensive player, Wilson is a big, prototypical fit at the 3-4 end position. Wilson had a bit of a down year as a senior, but was extremely productive notching 17.5 sacks in his Sophomore and Junior seasons, including 18.5 tackles for loss over the course of his Junior season. Has a good frame to try to generate some pass rush from a 3-4 position as well to be able to tie up blockers from the outside as a 3-4 defensive end. Senior season is a bit of a worry, but expect him to do well in an NFL 3-4 defensive front because of his frame and ability.

6 (169). Mike Tepper, OT, California
-Tepper started every game at LT for the Golden Bears this past year in Jeff Tedford's pass first offense. Tepper has experience pass blocking and experience at the position of Left Tackle which is key as guys are always more adept at switching from LT to RT or inside than switching from RT to LT. A productive college player, anything you get from the draft at this point is a bonus so Tepper could be a fit as a late round prospect to bring in to provide depth and competition, both of which are needed along our porous offensive line.

6 (183). Antonio Coleman, OLB, Auburn
-A very productive pass rusher at Auburn all four years which is why I think guys like this will be the targets of Nix, Whaley, and Gailey. Collected 31 sacks over his four years at Auburn which averages out to just under 8 sacks a season, which is extremely productive, especially when in the 3-4 all he's going to be asked to do is rush the passer from a 3-4 rush linebacker position. Decent speed for an outside backer as well, nothing special, but ok speed, and has a good frame at 6-2, 255 to hold up at the point of attack should he need to. At this point looking for depth and players who will fit in the 3-4.

7 (194). Cory Jackson, FB, Maryland
-This team has been lacking a true, tough, hard nosed blocking fullback since Sam Gash left the organization. Jackson was primarily a blocking fullback at Maryland and was a tough one at that. Not afraid to put a hat on a hat and try to blow guys off the ball, this team needs some attitude like that. Would be a welcome sight for a team that has nothing at Fullback right now as McIntyre isn't much of a blocker.

7 (201). Micah Johnson, ILB, Kentucky
-With his injury coming at a bad time, I expect Johnson to fall in the draft. Before the injury a 5-6th round prospect at best, we might be able to grab this guy in the 7th and it would be a great 7th round pick as he's tailor made for the middle of a 3-4 defense with a lack of great speed but great size and bulk at 6-2, 254, the perfect size for a 3-4 inside backer. A good run stopper, he won't offer much in the pass game defensively but can stuff the run and was a productive player in the SEC. A player like this, this late in the draft when you are looking for depth would be a good pickup.

BillsWin
02-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Not bad at first glance! I have to sit down and read through it, I can't right this second, but I'm looking forward to it. :up:

T-Long
02-11-2010, 03:10 PM
At first glance, I think Berry falling out of the top 5 is crazy. I know safeties don't usually go that high, but he is of the Polamalu/Reed mold.

BillsMan80
02-11-2010, 03:12 PM
At first glance, I think Berry falling out of the top 5 is crazy. I know safeties don't usually go that high, but he is of the Polamalu/Reed mold.

I just don't know who takes him...Tampa I think has a much more pressing need at Defensive End for a pass rusher and Kansas City needs to upgrade on the lines. I guess that leaves the wild card as Snyder considering he's already taken 2 top 10 safeties...will he do it again?

Mitchell55
02-11-2010, 03:22 PM
I think the mock is accurate but id rather Clausen because of his confidence

T-Long
02-11-2010, 03:25 PM
I just don't know who takes him...Tampa I think has a much more pressing need at Defensive End for a pass rusher and Kansas City needs to upgrade on the lines. I guess that leaves the wild card as Snyder considering he's already taken 2 top 10 safeties...will he do it again?
I can't see Tampa passing on him, especially with the experience Raheem Morris has working with the secondary. He is way too good of a player to drop out of the top 5 in my opinion.

BillsMan80
02-11-2010, 06:30 PM
I can't see Tampa passing on him, especially with the experience Raheem Morris has working with the secondary. He is way too good of a player to drop out of the top 5 in my opinion.

He's a great player but when you have more needs you tend to take a player at a position of need sometimes over the greater talent which is what gets teams in trouble and drafting in the Top 5.

BillsMan80
02-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Just maybe, with the hiring of Saffold's OL coach as Assistant OL coach from Indiana that just maybe we may be seeing Saffold in Round 2 or 3 and a QB or Defensive front 7 player in Round 1.

patmoran2006
02-11-2010, 06:47 PM
I think the mock is accurate but id rather Clausen because of his confidence

NO QB coming out of college was ever more confident than Ryan Leaf. Confidence means nothing without the tools to back it up.

Mitchell55
02-11-2010, 06:58 PM
NO QB coming out of college was ever more confident than Ryan Leaf. Confidence means nothing without the tools to back it up.

Both had tools. Leaf just ****ed up

HAMMER
02-11-2010, 06:59 PM
I don't see Nix and Gailey going QB. I really believe they will let Edwards and Brohm battle in camp and shore up the lines.

patmoran2006
02-11-2010, 07:03 PM
I don't see Nix and Gailey going QB. I really believe they will let Edwards and Brohm battle in camp and shore up the lines.

I agree with your first statement, but I really think Gailey brings a vet into the mix this winter/spring.. Dont know who, but someone.

patmoran2006
02-11-2010, 07:05 PM

Look man, I want a franchise QB as much as anyone, and I admittedly don't watch as much college football as others on here. With one exception.

Notre Dame.. I watch ALL their games, and I'm a fan

And I still see nothing from Clausen that suggest to me he is the answer to turn the franchise around.

swagger means nothing if you can't back it up.

JP Losman had "swagger", I remember him saying he was the best QB in the 2004 draft on ESPN.

Swagger is nothing without talent and INTANGIBLES to back it up

BillsMan80
02-11-2010, 07:06 PM
In this scenario meaning the way I see the draft going down they are in a position where they are stuck with the #4 OT or a DL that doesn't nearly fit the value in the #9 pick. It comes down to a QB or LB, and as good as a player as McClain may be, this team is CRYING out for a QB more than a LB. Now they may go out and get a FA QB, but until they do I have to believe if Bradford or Clausen is there they will address the QB position with one of them until they sign or trade for a veteran QB.

JCBills
02-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Pretty solid draft, some picks are too big of reaches at this point though.

Not sure Bradford is worth it, he'll likely lose some throwing velocity having had the injury and surgery. If we're serious about this 3-4 switch, and the player is available, I think McClain is a safe pick. Him and Poz on the inside would be a dominant tandem for years.

Word is that we're hiring Indiana's OL coach to be our assistant OL coach, so drafting Saffold isn't hard to see. Not sure he's a 2nd rounder right now, but well worth the pick in the 3rd. A solid combine could blow his draft stock up though.

We're likely to move a few players for picks, so a few 2nd-5th rounders is possible. If they can swing extra 2nd day picks, I'd honestly take LeFevour then over Bradford at 9.

I think McCluster is a luxury pick that early, I'm hoping OBD looks RB or WR in the later rounds though.

I'm big on C.J. Wilson, I think he's a good fit at 3-4 RE, he showed up weighing 284 at the Senior Bowl.

Also like the Cory Jackson pick.

BillsMan80
02-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Pretty solid draft, some picks are too big of reaches at this point though.

Not sure Bradford is worth it, he'll likely lose some throwing velocity having had the injury and surgery. If we're serious about this 3-4 switch, and the player is available, I think McClain is a safe pick. Him and Poz on the inside would be a dominant tandem for years.

Word is that we're hiring Indiana's OL coach to be our assistant OL coach, so drafting Saffold isn't hard to see. Not sure he's a 2nd rounder right now, but well worth the pick in the 3rd. A solid combine could blow his draft stock up though.

We're likely to move a few players for picks, so a few 2nd-5th rounders is possible. If they can swing extra 2nd day picks, I'd honestly take LeFevour then over Bradford at 9.

I think McCluster is a luxury pick that early, I'm hoping OBD looks RB or WR in the later rounds though.

I'm big on C.J. Wilson, I think he's a good fit at 3-4 RE, he showed up weighing 284 at the Senior Bowl.

Also like the Cory Jackson pick.

Fair enough...if both QBs are gone though I absolutely go McClain. I just think there's a major dropoff from a quality standpoint at QB between Bradford and Clausen and the rest.

By the way I took Saffold before it was announced that the Indiana OL coach was joining. I took him because of his track record, and honestly at this point I wouldn't be suprised if they took him over some more volatile prospects in Jason Fox, Selvish Capers, Ciron Black, and others. He seems like a safe pick to me.

I agree that some guys might get traded for picks, but I am not sure LeFevour would be the guy. LeFevour doesn't have the arm to play in Buffalo if you ask me. A project I would much rather have if we are taking a project QB is Jarrett Brown who is very athletic and has a big arm.

Finally I kind of admitted it in my writeup about McCluster how we have so many needs, but I just think a player like McCluster could bring such a new dynamic to this offense and give us some excitement and playmaking ability to take the ball to the house anytime he touches the rock ala Leon Washington or DeSean Jackson.

JCBills
02-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Fair enough...if both QBs are gone though I absolutely go McClain. I just think there's a major dropoff from a quality standpoint at QB between Bradford and Clausen and the rest.

By the way I took Saffold before it was announced that the Indiana OL coach was joining. I took him because of his track record, and honestly at this point I wouldn't be suprised if they took him over some more volatile prospects in Jason Fox, Selvish Capers, Ciron Black, and others. He seems like a safe pick to me.

I agree that some guys might get traded for picks, but I am not sure LeFevour would be the guy. LeFevour doesn't have the arm to play in Buffalo if you ask me. A project I would much rather have if we are taking a project QB is Jarrett Brown who is very athletic and has a big arm.

Finally I kind of admitted it in my writeup about McCluster how we have so many needs, but I just think a player like McCluster could bring such a new dynamic to this offense and give us some excitement and playmaking ability to take the ball to the house anytime he touches the rock ala Leon Washington or DeSean Jackson.

Haha I wasn't implying you put that pick there because of the coach signing. I like Saffold a lot, he's in my "offseason scenario" mock thread in the Scouting Zone. I'm not high on Fox, and Black is a RT. Capers is probably more of a project player. Love the Saffold pick overall.

If it comes down to Clausen or Bradford, I'm a ND homer, but even with that aside, Clausen. He can absolutely fire the ball at times. The velocity on the intermediate throws he was making when he was playing on an injured toe dropped my jaw, though he'll also float some passes he should rope. I just don't like Bradford's shoulder injury.

Arm strength can be developed on a clean shoulder like LeFevour's. 20-26 throws a game, keep it simple, but also use the dimension he adds to mix it up. Utilize the run game and play action.

Even with that said, I honestly think Brohm has a chance at starting this year, though we'll still draft at the position and probably sign or trade for a vet. Camp will be interesting.

TigerJ
02-11-2010, 10:38 PM
I know nothing about Saffold, but Cherepinsky of www.walterfootball.com rates him as a 6th or 7th rounder, below Tepper, actually.

BillsMan80
02-11-2010, 10:46 PM
I know nothing about Saffold, but Cherepinsky of www.walterfootball.com rates him as a 6th or 7th rounder, below Tepper, actually.

As I said it might be a bit of a reach from a value standpoint but he can play. There's basically zero chance Saffold goes below the 3rd Round as that's his basement, and if some team goes bonkers over him, who knows, maybe late first considering Duane Brown was picked in the late 1st and I don't think a soul outside of Brown's house thought first round pick.

Saffold is attractive because of his skills and athleticsm, but I think what will draw teams to him specifically Buddy and crew is that they want production over a few years and not over 1 or 2, and Saffold started 4 years at Left Tackle for Indiana and was a good player each year.

clumping platelets
02-11-2010, 11:01 PM
McClain :mad:

JCBills
02-12-2010, 05:40 AM
I know nothing about Saffold, but Cherepinsky of www.walterfootball.com (http://www.walterfootball.com) rates him as a 6th or 7th rounder, below Tepper, actually.

It's likely they just haven't seen as much of him as the other prospects. WalterFootball can be good at times, but misses on some things.

eee1776
02-12-2010, 06:32 AM
Somewhere in the draft don't be shocked if we don't draft Spikes From Florida. I am not in favor of drafting a QB to start. They need a veteran QB at this point, unless Feavour is avaiable in the third round and we can let him learn for a few years. Our real bigggest needs at this point is OT or DT.

SABURZFAN
02-12-2010, 06:59 AM

NO!!!!!!!!! Leaf WAS a tool.

tampabay25690
02-12-2010, 07:08 AM

Tampa will go McCoy or Berry with the 3rd pick.
With the financial problems in Tampa don't be surprised if they trade out of #3 to a later pick to save bonus and top 5 pick $$$$ thats all Im hearing down here...