PDA

View Full Version : Six Players the Bills could trade

patmoran2006
02-11-2010, 05:59 PM
It remains to be seen if the Buffalo Bills will soon be more competitive or descend even further into oblivion, but one thing about this team is certain; the roster turnover is going to be extreme.

There’s a slew of pending free agents, led by Terrell Owens and a cluster of mid tier to lower tier players the club won’t bring back.

Some players will get cut simply because they either don’t fit or underachieved. John McCargo, Nic Harris, Chris Ellis and Roscoe Parrish are among those prime candidates.

The following are six players that could be dealt this offseason. All contain a reasonable amount of value to other teams; even if they’re no longer needed here.

Marshawn Lynch- On the field he’s unmistakably been passed by Fred Jackson as the go-to back and off it he’s done nothing, and I mean nothing to alter his perception of being a nuisance. New coaching staffs tend to wipe slates clean upon arrival but in Lynch’s case I’d be stunned if he were back in 2010.

People tend to overlook the most disturbing thing about Lynch last year wasn’t the three-game suspension or 450 rushing yards on the entire season. It’s the nonchalant way he appeared doing it. Lynch often looked disinterested as “Beast Mode” was replaced by a “whatever” posture. Eighty two of those 450 total yards came on just two carries.

So much damaging discernment is thrown upon the Bills for drafting Donte Whitner ahead of Haloti Ngata in 2006. Well how about the Lynch gaffe of 2007? For starters the team already had Jackson; an unambiguous sign talent evaluators weren’t doing their jobs. More alarmingly they evidently didn’t do their diligence on Lynch off the field. Turns out his college maturity troubles wouldn’t be isolated once he turned professional.

Of course as this decade’s luck would go for Buffalo, the New York Jets drafted Darrelle Revis exactly two picks AFTER Lynch.

Having said all that, Lynch is talented and has the potential to be elite. There’s always a team willing to give a gifted player another chance and when that fails another will do it again. Lynch in the right surroundings could be a 1,400 yard rusher in this league, easily.

Possible destination: San Diego, Philadelphia. Both teams offer a change of scenery and could use a talent influx at running back. LaDainian Tomlinson will leave San Diego soon and Darren Sproles is no every down back over 16 games. Maybe the Bills could coax a second or third round pick from the Chargers. Or if the Bills are serious about a Philadelphia quarterback perhaps they offer Lynch in a trade package. The Eagles could use Lynch’s talents.

Notwithstanding Lynch’s troubles and the potential of a long suspension with one more mistake, he has the most upside and probably value of anyone on this list. If someone is willing to roll the dice on his God given talent, I say Good riddance.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v5547.jpg
Kyle Williams- There’s nothing wrong with Williams; he simply doesn’t fit into the new 3-4 defense. As colleague Brian Galliford says “He most closely resembles a one-gap nose tackle in the 3-4 Over, but he’s not a perfect fit there, either. At best, Williams looks like a rotational player that can give you downs at the nose or at end, but he’ll be a liability no matter where you put him.”

That doesn’t mean Williams has no trade value; he does. He was a Pro Bowl alternate last year and there’s always a market for an overachieving hard worker. He’s also under contract for three more years at a reasonable salary. There should be at least a modest demand for him assuming the Bills put him on the block.

Possible destination: Houston. We say the Texans because former Bills defensive line coach Bill Kollar worked with Williams for three years. He knows what kind of football player he is and won’t have to worry about his tackle taking off any plays. The reality is almost any team that employs a standard 4-3 could use a player like Williams. There’s no reason to not be able to get some value in return and Buffalo would have no problem pocketing the savings.

Donte Whitner- Some people hold disdain for Whitner because he was drafted so high while others think he simply doesn’t make enough plays. He’s also yet to play a full 16 games in four seasons. Regardless of why he’s not celebrated by Bills fans, the only thing that really matters is he’s arguably just the fourth best safety on the roster. That doesn’t cut it for an alleged team leader.

Rookie Jairus Byrd made more impact plays in less than a season than Whitner has in four years and frankly speaking, so did George Wilson. If the team decides to bring unrestricted free agent Bryan Scott back there’s little reason to require Whitner. I guarantee Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey could care less if Whitner was the eighth or 800<SUP>th</SUP> pick of the draft; they’re going with the best players at each position. If the team can get something of decent value for Whitner it’d be mindless to not consider it.

Possible destination: Washington, Cleveland. Whitner just recently moved to the D.C. area. Does he know something we don’t? His hometown of Cleveland could be a great fit for a team dire for talented bodies. For the record I have no problem with Whitner; just feel he’s expendable and could bring something in return—we’re good at safety without him.

Aaron Schobel- Of everyone on this list he’s the least likely to be traded because it’s very possible he may retire. Schobel hinted strongly following last season and wasn’t posturing at the time, nor is he now.

Truthfully, the Bills silently may be hoping he follows through on the departure talk. Although he’s far and away the team’s most consistent defender he falls into the same grouping several others all of a sudden do; he doesn’t match the new defense schematically. If Schobel doesn’t retire the Bills have to try and convert the nine-year veteran into a rush linebacker, an experiment similar to Green Bay and Aaron Kampman last year that didn’t work.

Dealing the talented Schobel may sound easy in theory, but the four years and $27.5 million in base salaries he’s owed makes it tremendously challenging. Perhaps a team on the verge of contending could come into play, but even that’s no given should the Bills make him available.

Possible destination: Houston, The recliner. Houston would be scary with Schobel opposite Mario Williams. It’s also a trade Schobel, who is from Texas, would likely be happy with as they’re expected to be contenders in 2010. Still, if the Bills are hoping to do away with Schobel the best chance is he decides to run off into the sunset. That would be a lot of money in the organization’s pocket they could use to replenish talent into the new defense.

Chris Kelsay- He had one of his best seasons in 2009 but the move to a new defense looks like the end of Kelsay’s career in Buffalo. Galliford says “he doesn’t have the athleticism in space to play outside (and unlike Aaron Schobel, doesn’t possess the pass rushing ability to make up for his lack of athleticism), and lacks enough bulk and anchor to play up front”.

Kelsay only has one year remaining on his contract at an affordable $3.7 million. That could be attractive to a 4-3 based team looking for a short term, low risk upgrade. If the Bills can’t find a taker, and rumor is they tried last year, I’d expect the organization to simply cut him loose and use his money elsewhere.

Possible destination: Seattle, Atlanta, Tampa Bay. Kelsay has more value than he did at this time last year because he was better in 2009. While I wouldn’t expect much in return the team should be able to get something; and that’s usually better than nothing.

Trent Edwards- Without question Edwards is the biggest enigma on this list. He may be the starter in 2010, may be the backup or may be on another team. Heck, for all we know he could be leading the Las Vegas Locos next year. Personally I believe he’s done in Buffalo. Gailey and staff may be new, but it won’t take long to see his confidence is shot and so is assurance teammates have in him. Edwards never endeared himself to Bills fans and if he returned the leash would be exceptionally short.

That doesn’t mean his NFL career is unavoidably over. Edwards could be one of those archetypal “change of scenery” types of players. Perhaps playing out in the west coast in a system and weather more suitable to his liking could once again ignite his career. Buffalo could and almost certainly will explore that possibility.

Possible destination: San Francisco, Arizona, Seattle. Neither of these teams have a secure situation at quarterback. Perchance one of them wants to give Edwards a chance to compete he could turn things around. Maybe we’re reaching here, but not as awfully as those who think he’ll turn it around with a new staff in Buffalo.

THRILLHO
02-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Im not really sure anyone would trade for Trent Edwards. The way he is right now, he seems like a dime a dozen.

patmoran2006
02-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Im not really sure anyone would trade for Trent Edwards. The way he is right now, he seems like a dime a dozen.

yeah.. But ya never know. I've always felt like Buffalo was a terrible fit for him.. I have no idea why anymore, but I've liked something about Edwards.. But he's obviously no blue collar Buffalo QB

Ingtar33
02-11-2010, 06:19 PM
yeah.. But ya never know. I've always felt like Buffalo was a terrible fit for him.. I have no idea why anymore, but I've liked something about Edwards.. But he's obviously no blue collar Buffalo QB

Put him behind a solid line and in a WCO and he'd shine. heck. put him behind a solid line and he'd be good enough (short term) in buffalo no matter what the system is.

patmoran2006
02-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Put him behind a solid line and in a WCO and he'd shine. heck. put him behind a solid line and he'd be good enough (short term) in buffalo no matter what the system is.
If (and I have absolutely no inside knowledge at all), the Bills were lookign to get rid of him and get something in return, don't you think SF would be a team that could be a fit for him?

EDS
02-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Marshawn Lynch- On the field he’s unmistakably been passed by Fred Jackson as the go-to back and off it he’s done nothing, and I mean nothing to alter his perception of being a nuisance. New coaching staffs tend to wipe slates clean upon arrival but in Lynch’s case I’d be stunned if he were back in 2010.

People tend to overlook the most disturbing thing about Lynch last year wasn’t the three-game suspension or 450 rushing yards on the entire season. It’s the nonchalant way he appeared doing it. Lynch often looked disinterested as “Beast Mode” was replaced by a “whatever” posture. Eighty two of those 450 total yards came on just two carries.

So much damaging discernment is thrown upon the Bills for drafting Donte Whitner ahead of Haloti Ngata in 2006. Well how about the Lynch gaffe of 2007? For starters the team already had Jackson; an unambiguous sign talent evaluators weren’t doing their jobs. More alarmingly they evidently didn’t do their diligence on Lynch off the field. Turns out his college maturity troubles wouldn’t be isolated once he turned professional.

Of course as this decade’s luck would go for Buffalo, the New York Jets drafted Darrelle Revis exactly two picks AFTER Lynch.

Having said all that, Lynch is talented and has the potential to be elite. There’s always a team willing to give a gifted player another chance and when that fails another will do it again. Lynch in the right surroundings could be a 1,400 yard rusher in this league, easily.

Obviously in 2006 the Bills should have know Jackson, an undrafted free agent from a small college, with no NFL carries, would become a starting caliber running back.

An "unambiguous sign talent evaluators weren't doing their jobs." Are you serious?

EDS
02-11-2010, 06:23 PM
If (and I have absolutely no inside knowledge at all), the Bills were lookign to get rid of him and get something in return, don't you think SF would be a team that could be a fit for him?

San Francisco has an identical QB on their roster already. Why would they trade for another Alex Smith?

patmoran2006
02-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Obviously in 2006 the Bills should have know Jackson, an undrafted free agent from a small college, with no NFL carries, would become a starting caliber running back.

An "unambiguous sign talent evaluators weren't doing their jobs." Are you serious?
Considering Jackson averaged 5.2 yards per carry during Lynch's rookie year, yes I'm serious.

Lynch at 12 was as bad, if not a worse pick than Whitner at 8 the year before.

Ingtar33
02-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Considering Jackson averaged 5.2 yards per carry during Lynch's rookie year, yes I'm serious.

No. Lynch was easily the 2nd best and I know in some minds he was the best RB in that draft (yes I know Peterson was in that draft). It wasn't a stretch to take him. Sometimes players just melt down on their own.

I started to get worried about Marshawn when they were talking about him moving his mom out to buffalo to keep him grounded. That was the moment i thought "wait.. what don't i know about his past?"

If there was a mistake made it was in dismissing his character issues... (though in the Bills defense, i don't think he had any obvious red flags prior to the draft) I can't imagine some of them didn't come up in the interview.

patmoran2006
02-11-2010, 06:41 PM
No. Lynch was easily the 2nd best and I know in some minds he was the best RB in that draft (yes I know Peterson was in that draft). It wasn't a stretch to take him. Sometimes players just melt down on their own.

I started to get worried about Marshawn when they were talking about him moving his mom out to buffalo to keep him grounded. That was the moment i thought "wait.. what don't i know about his past?"

Even more surprising when you factor in that Marv Levy was "GM" and consistently preached about high character guys

jamze132
02-11-2010, 07:00 PM
I would love for us to get McNabb somehow. Hmmm....

Ickybaluky
02-11-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm not sure how you can consider Lynch a bad pick when he ran for over 1,100 yards as a rookie and then another 1,000 in his second year. I'd be shocked if they traded him, given he is probably a big part of what they want to do to turn the team around.

Lynch did not play as well this past year, but he is a talented guy and it is a little early to be tossing him aside. He got too heavy this past year, but if he gets in shape and matures some he could be a top-10 back. He has that kind of ability. Coming out of college I expected him to do more in the passing game, but the Buffalo offense probably hasn't helped in in that regard (the Bills have been a bad passing team since he got there). However, nobody can deny he runs hard, and he shown he can be a productive NFL player. It is just a matter of it coming together, and I'm willing to bet if Gailey has been watching tape of him he already has a plan in mind.

I think it is dumb to give up on a talented kid for a middling pick (which is all you would get for him at this point). Monumentally dumb for a Buffalo team that is on record saying they are going to build their offense around the run game. Seriously, you are throwing crap at a wall with that, it is a load of crap.

Ebenezer
02-11-2010, 07:46 PM
wouldn't it be harder to write an article called "Six Players the Can't trade"?

Ickybaluky
02-11-2010, 07:50 PM
I just ran the numbers.

In the last 3 years, Lynch has run for 2,601 yards. Only 14 players have rushed for more yardage in that span.

In the last 3 years, Lynch has run for 17 TDs. Only 17 players have more rushing TDs.

Has Lynch been a superstar? No, but he has that potential. However, he has been more productive than people realize. He has been a solid starting RB, and is young enough that his best years are probably ahead of him. You are going to trade him before he gets there? That makes no sense.

There is no doubt that Lynch had a bad year. He had some off-field issues and he got too big. However, don't discount that he was a real good player his first 2 years in the league. Last year was the aberration.

bflojohn
02-11-2010, 07:55 PM
NE39, point well taken, however, the jury is still out as to when, not if, he screws the team again with a full seasons suspension! Most of his problems are self inflicted, and I do agree somewhat that a new regime usually looks to put their stamp on the franchise, and personally, I think Marshawn Lynch had better get his "act" together sooner than later!!
Note: The premise of when and not if is simply hanging over his head, I hope he doesn't transgress again!

ChanGailey
02-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Everybody acts like Lynch is a criminal. He's done 2 things wrong in his life. Both pretty minor. It's not like he killed and tortured dogs, or hit killed another person with a car, or shot himself in the leg in a nightclub.

He had one off year. Literally 12 months ago he was wearing AFC red in the pro bowl. He's not suspended. He's not currently in trouble. And he's already made it further than he did last year.

He's not going to get in trouble this year. He's not going to get traded, unless we're as dumb as everybody says we are.

patmoran2006
02-11-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm not sure how you can consider Lynch a bad pick when he ran for over 1,100 yards as a rookie and then another 1,000 in his second year. I'd be shocked if they traded him, given he is probably a big part of what they want to do to turn the team around.

Lynch did not play as well this past year, but he is a talented guy and it is a little early to be tossing him aside. He got too heavy this past year, but if he gets in shape and matures some he could be a top-10 back. He has that kind of ability. Coming out of college I expected him to do more in the passing game, but the Buffalo offense probably hasn't helped in in that regard (the Bills have been a bad passing team since he got there). However, nobody can deny he runs hard, and he shown he can be a productive NFL player. It is just a matter of it coming together, and I'm willing to bet if Gailey has been watching tape of him he already has a plan in mind.

I think it is dumb to give up on a talented kid for a middling pick (which is all you would get for him at this point). Monumentally dumb for a Buffalo team that is on record saying they are going to build their offense around the run game. Seriously, you are throwing crap at a wall with that, it is a load of crap.

Excellent post first of all, whether I agree or not with you I have respect for your opinions as they're always well informed.

Having said that-- a few counterpoints

* In regards to Lynch personally. I have had encounters with him in the media and though what I think means absolutely nothing, he's universally not liked and I'll leave it at that. More importantly, from everything I've gathered and stories from other this is a guy that could very well be out of the league all together within the next 2-3 years with the maturity he's showing.

* as for his production, that I cannot argue about.. He was productive in 2 of three years. Having said that, I still think its a terrible pick. RBs drafted that high should be elite and he's not. To boot, we had Fred Jackson on the roster the year before and that's a black eye on Jauron and John Guy among others for not evaluating what they had better. Lynch's rookie year Jackson averaged over 5.0 yards per carry.. To make matters worse, the Bills passed on Darrelle Revis for Lynch, and you can't say CB wasn't a need because we took McKelvin in the first round the very next year.

* As for the team building a better running game, that I can't disagree with.. But I can tell you that they are going to evaluate him big time and I wouldn't be surprised if he's traded, even if they dont equal value in return. Bottom line from what tiny I've seen personally and tons i've heard, He's simply "not worth the trouble".

As a matter of fact, if this thread is revisted in say a month or two, if only one of these six were to get traded, I'd be the least surprised of any of the candidates if its Lynch that is dealt.

I'll say it again.. why does Whitner get all the hate for being taken before Ngata, but not Lynch, who got taken before Revis.
They KNEW they were never gonna pay Nate Clements the top salary in the game.

(For the record, this was an opinionated post and not in any way littered with "sources" or even alleged rumors)

BuffaloRanger
02-11-2010, 09:57 PM
RB by committee seems to be the trend in the NFL. If the Bills trade Lynch they'll have to find somebody almost just as good. Why risk it for a late 2nd/3rd pick?

The only way I'd be happy with trading Lynch is if he is the lynchpin (pun intended) in getting trade for McNabb done.

clumping platelets
02-11-2010, 10:02 PM
I would include CB McGee in that list. He's overrated as a CB

justasportsfan
02-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Lynch is good insurance for jackson. Gailey loves to run the ball. Let him have 2 able rb's. If Gailey says he can play players based on their ability, maybe he can make calls based on Lynch's running style.Keep him unless someone wants to overpay for him.

TacklingDummy
02-12-2010, 06:02 AM
Way to jump and run with my trade Lynch/Whitner bandwagon. :clap:

Buddo
02-12-2010, 04:49 PM
With the talk of trades, I'm not so sure that what might happen, is some of the guys get moved for players.
Lynch, as an example. Possible destinations could be the Eagles, but that would almost certainly involve a QB, and other compensation in the form of a lower round pick than we might have to pay otherwise. Another possibility that I personally wouldn't mind, would be the Raiders, in an exchange for Michael Bush, and probably a low round pick to us. I think that Lynch is a better RB than Bush, but Bush is also pretty powerful, and actually has far better hands than Lynch, and as such, could be a better 'fit' in an offense lead by Fred Jackson.
Kyle Williams is a bit of a conundrum. In certain respects, he's like Fred Jackson, in that the better level he plays at, the better he gets, or at least he learns what he has to do to compete at that level. I could see him ending up elsewhere, but in more of a 3 way trade deal, unless it would be to a team that has a spare bona-fide #2 WR. I'd actually be reluctant to trade Williams, as I have a gut feeling he will manage to adapt to wherever he gets put on the line, and still do a job.
Whitner could actually have a good deal of value left in him. Part of the problem he's had, is that he has had to become a 'jack of all trades' for the Bills. With both Wilson (who I now think has fully adjusted to the defensive side of the ball, and really 'gets it' now) and Scott worthy of being re-signed, and with Byrd 'waiting in the wings', it is fair to say that Whitner is not a necessity, although I still think he's a good player, who ideally should be kept. If we can get a high 2nd round pick for him, then it would certainly be well worth considering, as we need better fits for the 3-4 D-Line, and two 2nds could go a long way to making that happen.
Both Kelsay and Edwards could easily garner later round picks. I'd be certainly in favour of taking a 4th for Kelsay if we could manage it.
I wouldn't trade Edwards unless it was for a higher pick. The guy has shown he has ability, and he's shown enough, with abysmal schemes and mediocre coaching, to deserve a last shot, with coaches who actually have a clue as to what offense is.

SaviorEdwards
02-13-2010, 12:25 PM
I would include CB McGee in that list. He's overrated as a CB

He's good in coverage, he just has stone hands.

PECKERWOOD
02-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Who in their right mind would trade for Kelsay? Some of your choices I agree with and there are some players I'd like to add to the list, here's mine:

1.) Marshawn Lynch
2.) Aaron Schobel
3.) Kyle Williams
4.) Trent Edwards
5.) Ashton Youboty
6.) Terrence McGee
7.) Kawika Mitchell

Night Train
02-14-2010, 05:28 AM
I think the list is very good and Clumps suggestion of McGee makes sense, with Florence looking solid at CB.

This is a new coach and he needs to make significant moves if switching to a 3-4 D. Everyone is in play...and the above players make the most sense.

Buddo
02-14-2010, 06:08 AM
I think the list is very good and Clumps suggestion of McGee makes sense, with Florence looking solid at CB.

This is a new coach and he needs to make significant moves if switching to a 3-4 D. Everyone is in play...and the above players make the most sense.

I think that it is too soon to be looking to move McGee tbh. If McKelvin hadn't been injured this year, then there could be a better case, but I think his experience from playing opposite Clements, is going to be needed this year. Any combination of McGee, McKelvin and Florence, looks pretty decent, but remove one of them, and all of a sudden things aren't so rosy.
While we may have decent backups, I see no real reason to start losing depth, in one of the few areas we actually have it.

better days
02-14-2010, 08:10 AM

I don't care how solid the line is. Trent is like a China doll. He is an injury waiting to happen. Add to that fact he has no passion for the game & is not a leader which the QB has to be. Teams have plenty of film on Trent, I doubt the Bills could get a bag of footballs for him.

Griff
02-14-2010, 08:37 AM
I don't care how solid the line is. Trent is like a China doll. He is an injury waiting to happen. Add to that fact he has no passion for the game & is not a leader which the QB has to be. Teams have plenty of film on Trent, I doubt the Bills could get a bag of footballs for him.

A good coach can fix the mental problems. Remember Trent before the Arizona concussion?

HHURRICANE
02-14-2010, 10:33 AM

I think there are several teams that would take Edwards in a heartbeat. Are we getting much? No. But he definately has trade value.

ChanGailey
02-15-2010, 09:26 AM

How was Lynch a worse pick? RB was our biggest need at the time. Lynch was, by far, the best looking RB still on the board. It was a no-brainer.

When we drafted Whitner, our biggest need was DT, followed by QB. We passed on the Ngata and Cutler, then traded up for McCargo. We could have drafted Ngata, then traded up for Whitner.

And the comment about Jackson's 5.2 YPC during Lynch's rookie year is silly. His career YPC BEFORE we drafted Lynch was 0.0. And how can you hold it against them, when it hadn't even happened yet? That's like saying the Colts shouldn't have drafted Donald Brown, because Addai had a higher YPC this year.