PDA

View Full Version : Goodell says the Bills must upgrade their stadium soon.

BillsWin
02-13-2010, 03:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/news/story?id=4891541

also said that the Bills, who have been targeted by the Majestic Group, would have to upgrade their stadium as well in the near future.

Thurmal
02-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Roger Goodell is a douchebag, ad not just b/c of this. Seriously, you have the most profitable sports league BY FAR, yet you still continue to nickel-and-dime on every issue. He is on a monster power-trip.

Slim
02-13-2010, 03:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/news/story?id=4891541

Is he talking new stadium or upgrading the Ralph? Didn't we just put a new screen and sterio system in?

BillsWin
02-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Roger Goodell is a douchebag, ad not just b/c of this. Seriously, you have the most profitable sports league BY FAR, yet you still continue to nickel-and-dime on every issue. He is on a monster power-trip.

So you don't agree we could use an upgrade on the stadium?

I think it would be a great way to keep the franchise in Buffalo.

And Goodell may be on a "power trip" but he is committed to keeping the Bills in WNY. Believe it or not.

better days
02-13-2010, 04:03 PM
Lets get right on it as soon as Ralph signs a new LONG term lease.

YardRat
02-13-2010, 04:24 PM
The team that continues to come up in relocation discussions is the Jacksonville Jaguars (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=jac), who had about 25,000 empty seats for most home games this season. It's a number that doesn't look to improve with about 17,000 Jacksonville fans opting not to renew their season tickets. Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver has told Goodell he can't have a franchise in the city if attendance continues drop as it has in recent years.

"We know what's going on in [Jacksonville] and what our fans and partners are facing with the economic challenges," Goodell said. "I've spent an awful lot of time with Wayne about what's happening with Jacksonville and how that's affecting the attendance and I think Wayne said it very well, despite the economy and despite other factors you can't continue to have an NFL franchise with 40,000 people in the stadium.

YardRat
02-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Another possibility may be the San Diego Chargers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=sdg), who continue to push for a new home while playing in the antiquated Qualcomm Stadium, which was built in 1967 and is the NFL's fourth-oldest stadium. San Diego, which was once a regular destination for the Super Bowl, hasn't held one in seven years and won't until they get a new stadium. The problem is the city is saddled with $179 million in debt and building a football stadium isn't high on the list of priorities for tax payers.

PECKERWOOD
02-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Paint the end zones back to red, that would be a big enough stadium upgrade for me!

Thurmal
02-13-2010, 04:32 PM

And Goodell may be on a "power trip" but he is committed to keeping the Bills in WNY. Believe it or not.

Roger Goodell is committed to making money; he could give two ****s about the Bills. When he said it was up to Bills fans' passion to keep the team in Buffalo, I knew he was both clueless and full of crap.

BuffaloBlitz83
02-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Upgrade the stadium and raise prices like every team. A nicer stadium, fans will pay more for added experience. Fans get more mad when prices are raised yet stadium remains same. Just like if a gym raises prices but adds to facility.

feldspar
02-13-2010, 04:41 PM
There are older stadiums than the Ralph, but there isn't an owner older than Ralph. The stadium won't be the deciding factor as to whether the Bills will move or not. Who buys the Bills after Wilson dies will be the deciding factor. But there are plenty of other variables as well, such as the state of other teams, particularly Jacksonville. Having like 25,000 empty seats regularly in your stadium when your team is potentially playoff bound is ridiuculous. Now a HUGE portion of fans aren't going to renew their season tickets? Things are terrible there and going downhill from there. Seems like THEY should be the ones to go. Nobody will even notice or care in Jacksonville. They'll just watch their college teams. I lived in Jacksonville the year the team went 14-2...not very many people cared. That team isn't nearly ingrained into the psyche of the community the way the Bills are in Buffalo...not even close. Send those guys packing.

OpIv37
02-13-2010, 04:45 PM
the Ralph has been upgraded numerous times in the past 15 years or so, most recently with the HD scoreboard prior to 2007. I personally like it, but it is dated compared to most stadiums around the league. I wonder how many more "upgrades" Goodell will tolerate.

Forcing the Bills to build a new stadium is one step closer to moving out of town.

Thurmal
02-13-2010, 04:58 PM
the Ralph has been upgraded numerous times in the past 15 years or so, most recently with the HD scoreboard prior to 2007. I personally like it, but it is dated compared to most stadiums around the league. I wonder how many more "upgrades" Goodell will tolerate.

Forcing the Bills to build a new stadium is one step closer to moving out of town.

RWS has character and is a fun place to watch games, unlike all these new generic stadiums. I see that you're from No. VA, so I'm guessing you've been to FedEx Field and know how much a new stadium can suck.

OpIv37
02-13-2010, 05:05 PM
RWS has character and is a fun place to watch games, unlike all these new generic stadiums. I see that you're from No. VA, so I'm guessing you've been to FedEx Field and know how much a new stadium can suck.
yes, I've been to FedEx, and yes, it sucks. It has some cool features but it has no character and the tailgating simply blows.

I've also been to M&T Bank stadium, where the Ravens play. That stadium is much nicer and more unique than FedEx, but IMO the atmosphere and presentation are over the top and take away from the game.

That's my favorite thing about RWS. Tons of tailgating outside the stadium, and once you go in, it's all about the game.

I don't want a new stadium at all, and I would guess that the majority of Bills fans would agree with that opinion.

But if the NFL thinks they can make more money with a new stadium, than what we want as fans becomes irrelevant.

feldspar
02-13-2010, 05:09 PM

As long as it's a safe structure, who really cares how modern it is? I don't get it; are we required to be more fashionable or something? Lambeau Field, the home of the Green Bay Packers, was built in 1957. Why don't we move them? Oh yeah, they are owned by the community, which makes it unfair for other teams not to be able to do that.

The Ralph opened in 1973, so it's 16 years newer than Lambeau Field. How come I've never heard one thing about the Packers needing a new stadium? Renovation seems good enough for them, why not us?

jlruss90
02-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Paint the end zones back to red, that would be a big enough stadium upgrade for me!

Glad im not the only one, it looks so much sharper/ maybe with the bright red our players will know where to head

OpIv37
02-13-2010, 05:15 PM
As long as it's a safe structure, who really cares how modern it is? I don't get it; are we required to be more fashionable or something? Lambeau Field, the home of the Green Bay Packers, was built in 1957. Why don't we move them? Oh yeah, they are owned by the community, which makes it unfair for other teams not to be able to do that.

The Ralph opened in 1973, so it's 16 years newer than Lambeau Field. How come I've never heard one thing about the Packers needing a new stadium? Renovation seems good enough for them, why not us?

they're not the revenue-sharing drain that the Bills are.

I agree- I really don't care how modern it is. But they're not asking us. The NFL is moving away from average fans like us and towards corporate luxury-box fans, who demand comfort, features and modern convenience. They're not paying $250k a season for a luxury box to watch football. They're paying for a luxury experience.

And while the Ralph was renovated and does have luxury boxes, they don't compare to what's offered at, say, the new stadiums in Dallas or Arizona.

People like you and me are going to pay our $75 and scream our lungs out no matter how old the stadium is. But the people who pay six figures for luxury boxes don't want a stadium from 1973.

DrGraves
02-13-2010, 05:29 PM
i love the ralph but it is time for a new stadium...

feldspar
02-13-2010, 05:36 PM
they're not the revenue-sharing drain that the Bills are.

I agree- I really don't care how modern it is. But they're not asking us. The NFL is moving away from average fans like us and towards corporate luxury-box fans, who demand comfort, features and modern convenience. They're not paying $250k a season for a luxury box to watch football. They're paying for a luxury experience.

And while the Ralph was renovated and does have luxury boxes, they don't compare to what's offered at, say, the new stadiums in Dallas or Arizona.

People like you and me are going to pay our $75 and scream our lungs out no matter how old the stadium is. But the people who pay six figures for luxury boxes don't want a stadium from 1973.

$250K, is that the going high-end rate now? Why WOULD somebody pay that? A status symbol? A way for rich butt-plugs to wine and dine people that I probably wouldn't like, showing off for their business clients? A shame that the NFL is heading down that path. Football shouldn't be about that. It's all about money in the end, just like any other business, I guess. The NFL is a monster.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
02-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Is he talking new stadium or upgrading the Ralph? Didn't we just put a new screen and sterio system in?

found it,

The Bills will add a new $5.2M Mitsubishi HD scoreboard at Ralph Wilson Stadium for ’07 that will be “about twice the size of the current JumboTron,” according to Sal Maiorana of the ROCHESTER DEMOCRAT & CHRONICLE. The scoreboard will stand 33 1/2 feet tall, two feet higher than the current board, and will be more than 82 feet wide, “almost twice the size of the current board” that was installed in ’94. Also, a ribbon board will “ring the stadium facade.” Taxpayer money, “part of long-term improvement contracts for the Erie County-owned stadium, will help defray the cost of the project” (ROCHESTER DEMOCRAT & CHRONICLE, 2/1).
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/109298

also found this, the Bills had plans to move the pressbox to the Northeast end of the stadium and make the current location of the pressbox into suites but it never happened.

Nov. 1--The Buffalo Bills plan to move their Ralph Wilson Stadium press box to the corner of one end zone and replace it with some kind of premium seating in time for the 2008 season, Bills officials confirmed Tuesday. The new seats and press box relocation, part of a proposed $20 million package of state-funded improvements to the stadium, will help the Bills maximize their revenues, team officials say. The move would create new, high-priced, sideline premium seating and replace one of the four original indoor club sections, which always have been a tough sell in the refurbished stadium. The press box would be moved to the Red Zone…
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-153724103/bills-shift-press-box.html

Oldbillsfan
02-13-2010, 06:22 PM
What exactly needs to be upgraded at Ralph Wilson Stadium? Do the still have the big bathtub urinals where everyone stands in a circle? Id get rid of that first.

tampabay25690
02-13-2010, 07:05 PM

WAKE UP....
Goodell is great for the Bills he wants them to stay in B-LO......

tampabay25690
02-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Roger Goodell is committed to making money; he could give two ****s about the Bills. When he said it was up to Bills fans' passion to keep the team in Buffalo, I knew he was both clueless and full of crap.

I think you are clueless.
He wanst the Bills to stay in Buff.

SaviorEdwards
02-13-2010, 07:16 PM
He must have been to the stadium and didn't like the 'Do Not Urinate in Sink' signs :ill:

ChanGailey
02-13-2010, 07:17 PM
I think you are clueless.
He wanst the Bills to stay in Buff.

He says that. It's just lip service.

It amazes me that NFL people even do the whole press conference/interview thing, given that it's clearly their goal to say as little as possible.

Whether your the Commish, an owner, or a coach. You have thoughts, motives, goals...But their yours and yours only. It's a very cutthroat business.

Even if Roger Goodell grew up a Dolphins fan and made it his lifetime goal to get the Bills out of Buffalo, he sure as heck wouldn't just come out and say it.

So, I really don't put any stock into anything anybody says, ever. Just let it play out. There's nothing we can do anyway, there's no use getting stressed over it. Just hope the Bills win the f'n Superbowl soon so we're unmovable for a couple years.

Typ0
02-13-2010, 08:09 PM

So basically your suggestion is he minimize league wealth. That's just brilliant.

Typ0
02-13-2010, 08:10 PM

The Packers got a new stadium four or five years ago. They just opted to build it around the old Lambeau stadium because they didn't want to lose the history in the building. You don't hear about it because they were to busy doing it I guess.

Typ0
02-13-2010, 08:13 PM
It won't be a factor because Wilson refuses to get involved with a deal that could make it a factor.

There are older stadiums than the Ralph, but there isn't an owner older than Ralph. The stadium won't be the deciding factor as to whether the Bills will move or not. Who buys the Bills after Wilson dies will be the deciding factor. But there are plenty of other variables as well, such as the state of other teams, particularly Jacksonville. Having like 25,000 empty seats regularly in your stadium when your team is potentially playoff bound is ridiuculous. Now a HUGE portion of fans aren't going to renew their season tickets? Things are terrible there and going downhill from there. Seems like THEY should be the ones to go. Nobody will even notice or care in Jacksonville. They'll just watch their college teams. I lived in Jacksonville the year the team went 14-2...not very many people cared. That team isn't nearly ingrained into the psyche of the community the way the Bills are in Buffalo...not even close. Send those guys packing.

DrGraves
02-13-2010, 08:16 PM

we don't have the winning tradition at our stadium nor the mystique nor aura that is lambeau field

El Guapo
02-13-2010, 09:04 PM

I just want more urinals!!

Oaf
02-13-2010, 09:31 PM
WOW. I never realized this. And what a difference it makes. Anyone know at all why they removed it?

BuffaloBlitz83
02-13-2010, 09:37 PM
WOW. I never realized this. And what a difference it makes. Anyone know at all why they removed it?

economic hard times

TigerJ
02-13-2010, 10:06 PM
It's fine for Goodell to sit in his office and make high handed pronouncements, but there does seem to be some inconsistency here. The NFL has tightened its pursestrings in the face of the nation's economic doldrums, but he wants cities that are struggling with trying to make ends meet to build billion dollar stadiums. The truth is while the NFL is the richest sports franchise in existence, there is a limit to what they can demand. At some point, Goodell might just bite off more than he can chew.

clumping platelets
02-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Bills have trouble filling club seating and suites now. New stadium would require guaranteed commitments at much higher prices and likely PSL's for average fans. Just an FYI

PECKERWOOD
02-13-2010, 11:39 PM
He must have been to the stadium and didn't like the 'Do Not Urinate in Sink' signs :ill:

Yes, I've been "that guy" who urinates in the sink. What can I say?? After enough jack on the rocks and miller lites, I'll do anything to hop the line to unload.

BuffaloBlitz83
02-14-2010, 12:37 AM
I've urinated in a trashcan in my own room cause my friend was taking a dump in bathroom and it was too lazy to go outside. Ya bad idea, my room smelled bad.

Griff
02-14-2010, 12:43 AM

yeah, I believe it... not.

Griff
02-14-2010, 12:44 AM
WAKE UP....
Goodell is great for the Bills he wants them to stay in B-LO......

yeah that's why he panders to the big markets.

Oaf
02-14-2010, 02:26 AM
economic hard times
?

Night Train
02-14-2010, 07:44 AM
1. A new stadium would have to be a dome, which could host events all year round and get a better return on the investment. Don't even talk about " real football outdoors " or any pie in the sky thoughts. It's not practical.

2. It would have to be built across the street from the Ralph or up in Niagara County on some wide open land. No way could Downtown Buffalo be a location. Parking, lack of major thruways would be a traffic nightmare.

3. There is no money in NYS, let alone Erie County. Unless Sen. Chuck Schumer and some other Fed. politicians can secure Fed. funds, it's not happening.

4. This is one of the most economically depressed areas in the U.S. it's amazing we actually have an NFL & NHL team. I can't see anyone seeing this as a wise, long term investment.

5. Realization - The NFL is slowly pushing out the small market teams and will reduce to 24-28 teams within the next 5 years. They are greedy beyond belief and it has little to do with blue collar fans amymore. It's ALL about the corporate $ .

ChristopherWalken
02-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Seems to me Jacksonville is a front runner at relocating. San Diego is balking, trying to get the city to bust out a new stadium, they won't move. And Goodell may be helping Buffalo at staying put. After all he said "upgrades" not something that should be out of the question or completely unwarranted. The stadium is as old as I am and is out dated in most areas. Rebuilding is quite a bit to ask. Rennovating should be considered.

Nighthawk
02-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Anybody who doesn't think that a new stadium is necessary to keep the Bills in WNY is completely clueless. We have one of the worst stadiums (if not the worst) in the NFL and this was bound to come out.

Oldbillsfan
02-14-2010, 09:28 AM
5. Realization - The NFL is slowly pushing out the small market teams and will reduce to 24-28 teams within the next 5 years. They are greedy beyond belief and it has little to do with blue collar fans amymore. It's ALL about the corporate $ .

This is why the Jerry Jones people of the NFL are destroying it. It must be strange to go to a football game and see a TV as big as the field. Makes you wonder why you aren't at home.

Oldbillsfan
02-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Anybody who doesn't think that a new stadium is necessary to keep the Bills in WNY is completely clueless. We have one of the worst stadiums (if not the worst) in the NFL and this was bound to come out.

What is bad about it besides the urinals? Just curious.

I don't see how a new stadium will ever be built sharing games with Toronto either. The tax payers are still on the hook for RWS even when games are played up there.

Nighthawk
02-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Bills have trouble filling club seating and suites now. New stadium would require guaranteed commitments at much higher prices and likely PSL's for average fans. Just an FYI

Just an FYI...if it doesn't happen, the Bills are gone. There is ZERO chance the Bills stay in Buffalo without a new stadium...ZERO!!!

Nighthawk
02-14-2010, 09:33 AM
What is bad about it besides the urinals? Just curious.

I don't see how a new stadium will ever be built sharing games with Toronto either. The tax payers are still on the hook for RWS even when games are played up there.

It's an absolute dump...it doesn't have any amenities, the seating is terribly cramped and this is even worse in the winter when everybody is bundled up because of the cold. I've never liked the stadium and it is located in the middle of nowhere...it should be in the city and part of a revitalization plan for downtown. It also has some of the worst facilities for the players and does not help when attracting players. People can fool themselves all they want, but the pampered players of today want top notch facilities to play in and train in...it matters.

DynaPaul
02-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Forget the stadium... we need to upgrade the actual TEAM!

Typ0
02-14-2010, 09:43 AM
There will be no talk of a stadium while Wilson is alive. And once he's gone that keeps it poised to move.

YardRat
02-14-2010, 10:03 AM
There won't be serious discussion about upgrades, let alone an entire new stadium, without a long term commitment from the team regardless of who the owner is. It's unfortunate to say, and I'm certainly not trying to be mean spirited or wishing ill will on anybody, but the truth remains nothing about the team or it's facilities will be cleared up until either Ralph dies or the succession plan becomes at least public-enough knowledge that the local/state politicians and league hierarchy know exactly what's going on.

HHURRICANE
02-14-2010, 10:28 AM

I've been to several "premium" stadiums and the atmosphere at Rich Stadium is still better than any other. Roger Goddell's luxury box isn't probably up to his standard and that's why you get the "improvement" comments.

Bottom line is if the Bills get moved out of Buffalo before Jacksonville than there is something serioulsy wrong with this league. Jacksonville is a joke so they need to go.

jamze132
02-14-2010, 11:12 AM
I don't think there will ever be a new stadium built for the Bills in Buffalo. Who the **** is going to pay for it?

G Wolly
02-14-2010, 11:29 AM
This is why the Jerry Jones people of the NFL are destroying it. It must be strange to go to a football game and see a TV as big as the field. Makes you wonder why you aren't at home.

It's amazing how he can spend Billions on a new stadium with the biggest HDTV ever and they are still an average team.

It's all business now.

I hate Jerry Jones and his silly old man face

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a9/Jerry_jones_owner_dallas_cowboys.jpg/220px-Jerry_jones_owner_dallas_cowboys.jpg

better days
02-14-2010, 12:08 PM
It's an absolute dump...it doesn't have any amenities, the seating is terribly cramped and this is even worse in the winter when everybody is bundled up because of the cold. I've never liked the stadium and it is located in the middle of nowhere...it should be in the city and part of a revitalization plan for downtown. It also has some of the worst facilities for the players and does not help when attracting players. People can fool themselves all they want, but the pampered players of today want top notch facilities to play in and train in...it matters.

Amenities can be added with an upgrade. A new stadium located in the City would not have the tailgateing available at the Ralph & that is half the fun of going to the game.

TacklingDummy
02-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Upgrade the stadium and raise prices like every team. A nicer stadium, fans will pay more for added experience. Fans get more mad when prices are raised yet stadium remains same. Just like if a gym raises prices but adds to facility.
Wrong. The Bills stadium is always near full. Fans won't care about paying more if the product on the field was better.

Cleve
02-14-2010, 12:39 PM
[quote=OpIv37

People like you and me are going to pay our $75 and scream our lungs out no matter how old the stadium is. But the people who pay six figures for luxury boxes don't want a stadium from 1973.[/quote]

How many of those sorts of fans are going to still be living in NYS in a few years? Patterson was already bemoaning the emigration of the well-heeled from NYS not that long ago.

Nighthawk
02-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Amenities can be added with an upgrade. A new stadium located in the City would not have the tailgateing available at the Ralph & that is half the fun of going to the game.

Well, if there are no Bills in Buffalo, then there will be no tailgating...enjoy partying in the parking lots on Sunday by yourself!

Michael82
02-14-2010, 02:32 PM

Sorry, but I have been to 6 other stadiums and I completely disagree. It's nowhere near the worst stadium in the league. If they were to spend some money and repair whatever needs to be fixed, the seats are fine. Those were put in, in the late 90s. They could then update the bathrooms, rebuild the locker rooms, move around the press box (like they were going to do) and upgrade the suites in the middle...it would be a lot better. Look at what Green Bay did to save their stadium. I could see that working in Buffalo.

Nighthawk
02-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Sorry, but I have been to several other stadiums and I completely disagree. It's nowhere near the worst stadium in the league. If they were to spend some money and repair whatever needs to be fixed, the seats are fine. Those were put in, in the late 90s. They could then update the bathrooms, rebuild the locker rooms, move around the press box (like they were going to do) and upgrade the suites in the middle...it would be a lot better. Look at what Green Bay did to save their stadium. I could see that working in Buffalo.

Mikey, you're wrong...the seats were put in and weren't designed to be installed in this stadium, so they took leg room away. This stadium was built for bench seating. The fact is, the Bills are gone if there is no new stadium built...

Michael82
02-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Mikey, you're wrong...the seats were put in and weren't designed to be installed in this stadium, so they took leg room away. This stadium was built for bench seating. The fact is, the Bills are gone if there is no new stadium built...

Like I said, I've been to several other stadiums....Carolina, San Diego, Cleveland, Washington, Miami, and Baltimore. I noticed the same problem with leg room there. You lose that a lot when you try cramming a bunch of seats together. The Bills won't be gone if a new stadium isn't built...but once they are sold, the new Owner will probably try to get one built after a little bit...

Bravo82
02-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Ralph Wilson Stadium is a fine stadium. This past year they paved lot 1 by the fieldhouse which I think was pretty important. Although I must say I think the seats in the upper deck need to be replaced, and maybe renovate some of the bathrooms. But its not really a big deal.

Michael82
02-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Ralph Wilson Stadium is a fine stadium. This past year they paved lot 1 by the fieldhouse which I think was pretty important. Although I must say I think the seats in the upper deck need to be replaced, and maybe renovate some of the bathrooms. But its not really a big deal.

Exactly. After the money they spent on it...they could do a few more renovations and it would last another 10-20 years with no problem.

1. Renovate the locker rooms and practice facilities and bring them to today's standards.
2. Move the press box to the corner, like they were going to do. Renovate that area into a new state of the art suite right in the middle of the field.
3. Renovate some of the bathrooms and get rid of all the urinal sinks or troughs.
4. Paint the end zones red again. It looks much better that way!

Beebe's Kid
02-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Amenities....what do you want a ****ing Dyno-Jump? We need seats and a football field. There are more than enough concession stands, and the food is the same over-priced, low grad food you get at any stadium in the league. Parking is easy, as is accessing the stadium.

To think that we need a new stadium is ridiculous. The Ralph needs some upgrades, which could be helped along by a corporate sponsor.

The "pie in the sky" theory of outdoor football seems to work well in Pittsburgh, Cleveland, New England, New York, Green Bay, Chicago, and other cities with cold weather. Domes are ****ing stupid. To go inside to watch a football game, or baseball is asinine. Weather is a factor, and that is what makes different localities unique.

Aside from a few urinals, and some better seating in the upper deck and endzones, I really don't see an issue with the Ralph. If I want bells and whistles, I guess I could watch the game on TV at Chucky Cheese.

It is sad to think that all of this really doesn't matter, because we can't afford to build a new stadium, which is pretty much the situation in every city. If they want to force the issue to move us, we are as good as gone.

I think it is funny when I think about Heinz Field, and PNC in Pittsburgh.... Three-Rivers was a ****ing cookie cutter dump, and then they built the two new stadiums. PNC is an amazing stadium revered around MLB as one of the best. Heinz has had to replace the field on several occasions, and has none of the charm that PNC has. It is a big building that holds a bunch of Steelers fans 8 Sundays a year. Nothing flashy, and that is brand new. To talk about the amenities is puzzling to me.

G Wolly
02-14-2010, 03:25 PM
To go inside to watch a football game, or baseball is asinine. Weather is a factor, and that is what makes different localities unique.

Although I agree, that's a main reason people get driven away from purchasing season tickets. Once the flurries start falling many people don't want to sit in a blizzard for 4 hours to watch a losing football team. Due to health conditions or physical disabilities, some people can't sit in freezing temperatures for several hours as it gets deeper into the season.

Michael82
02-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Amenities....what do you want a ****ing Dyno-Jump? We need seats and a football field. There are more than enough concession stands, and the food is the same over-priced, low grad food you get at any stadium in the league. Parking is easy, as is accessing the stadium.

To think that we need a new stadium is ridiculous. The Ralph needs some upgrades, which could be helped along by a corporate sponsor.

The "pie in the sky" theory of outdoor football seems to work well in Pittsburgh, Cleveland, New England, New York, Green Bay, Chicago, and other cities with cold weather. Domes are ****ing stupid. To go inside to watch a football game, or baseball is asinine. Weather is a factor, and that is what makes different localities unique.

Aside from a few urinals, and some better seating in the upper deck and endzones, I really don't see an issue with the Ralph. If I want bells and whistles, I guess I could watch the game on TV at Chucky Cheese.

It is sad to think that all of this really doesn't matter, because we can't afford to build a new stadium, which is pretty much the situation in every city. If they want to force the issue to move us, we are as good as gone.

I think it is funny when I think about Heinz Field, and PNC in Pittsburgh.... Three-Rivers was a ****ing cookie cutter dump, and then they built the two new stadiums. PNC is an amazing stadium revered around MLB as one of the best. Heinz has had to replace the field on several occasions, and has none of the charm that PNC has. It is a big building that holds a bunch of Steelers fans 8 Sundays a year. Nothing flashy, and that is brand new. To talk about the amenities is puzzling to me.

Excellent post! :bf1:

Typ0
02-14-2010, 03:38 PM
More proof that Bills fans cling to crap. We aren't the worst in the league! It's pathetic people take pride in that. I can remember walking into Soldier field and thinking I had finally witnessed a worse stadium that RWS. That place was built in the 20s and has been totally rebuilt now. Other teams that had better stadiums have already replaced theirs. The bottom line is the NFL expects it's teams to be housed in modern stadiums and rightfully so. All the good memories in the world don't make The Ralph (sounds like puke don't it) a good stadium.

TacklingDummy
02-14-2010, 04:03 PM
1) NYS is not going to help build any stadiums north of NYC.

2) Retractable dome is the only way to go.

SABURZFAN
02-14-2010, 04:23 PM
i'd like to see the Bills upgrade their ownership.

feldspar
02-14-2010, 04:52 PM
The Packers got a new stadium four or five years ago. They just opted to build it around the old Lambeau stadium because they didn't want to lose the history in the building. You don't hear about it because they were to busy doing it I guess.

How do you build another stadium "around" the old one? They didn't build a new one, they just did a massive $300 million upgrade, which is a lot cheaper than building a new stadium. A great part of those renovations were paid by raising the sales tax in that area a little bit. Green Bay has an unfair control about what happens to it's team. Give Buffalo that same opportunity, and I think you'd see the same results.

Typ0
02-14-2010, 06:09 PM
No, they built entirely new structures around the stadium to add seating and boxes.

As far as whose going to pay for it go ahead and do a poll on a bills fan site and see how much of Erie county will be willing to bear the tax burden for it. The people in Green Bay were voting specifically to save Lambeau field from being demolished. You're telling me cash strapped Erie county inhabitants feel the same way about RWS? That's a joke.

How do you build another stadium "around" the old one? They didn't build a new one, they just did a massive $300 million upgrade, which is a lot cheaper than building a new stadium. A great part of those renovations were paid by raising the sales tax in that area a little bit. Green Bay has an unfair control about what happens to it's team. Give Buffalo that same opportunity, and I think you'd see the same results.

Typ0
02-14-2010, 06:10 PM
1) NYS is not going to help build any stadiums north of NYC.

2) Retractable dome is the only way to go.

Of course they aren't because no one will even ask.

Cleve
02-15-2010, 06:57 AM
Watching the Buffalo Bills game play over the last decade, I've arrived at the conclusion that the stadium is the very LEAST of this team's problems. If Goodell really wants a new stadium, Goodell should pony up some cash himself.

Jan Reimers
02-15-2010, 07:39 AM
The Ralph is a very good pure football stadium, with great sightlines and a tremendous atmosphere. Tailgating is amongst the best in the league.

We sell out almost every game, so apparently the fans are not unhappy with the facility. The Bills have trouble selling all of their luxury boxes and premium seating, but that is a function of Buffalo's economics. More and/or more expensive boxes and suites will in all probability not improve that situation much. Ticket prices are about where they should be for the market.

Thus, a new stadium will not help Bills' game day revenues very much.

Goodell must want a shiny new stadium in Buffalo mostly for PR purposes, so the league can brag about another state-of-art venue, and to look better on TV.

Nighthawk
02-15-2010, 08:04 AM
One more time for the slow people...THE BILLS WILL NOT STAY IN BUFFALO WITHOUT A NEW STADIUM! This has nothing to do with how much you love tailgating or the memories that you have at The Ralph...it has to do with keeping the Bills in Buffalo. There is no argument...the Bills will leave if there is no new stadium.

Nighthawk
02-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Like I said, I've been to several other stadiums....Carolina, San Diego, Cleveland, Washington, Miami, and Baltimore. I noticed the same problem with leg room there. You lose that a lot when you try cramming a bunch of seats together. The Bills won't be gone if a new stadium isn't built...but once they are sold, the new Owner will probably try to get one built after a little bit...

Mikey, I love your optimism, but you are totally ignoring the fact that the NFL has been improving all of their venues for the past decade or so and they are not going to miss on an opportunity to force WNY'rs hand on this subject. This team will not stay in Buffalo without a new stadium...new owner or not.

Jan Reimers
02-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Mikey, I love your optimism, but you are totally ignoring the fact that the NFL has been improving all of their venues for the past decade or so and they are not going to miss on an opportunity to force WNY'rs hand on this subject. This team will not stay in Buffalo without a new stadium...new owner or not.
That's a rational, well thought out policy isn't it? You must have a new stadium. . . to have a new stadium. Even if the fans don't much care about it, even if puts the team or taxpayers in debt, and even if doesn't materially improve revenue.

You have to keep up with the Joneses.

THATHURMANATOR
02-15-2010, 08:31 AM
One more time for the slow people...THE BILLS WILL NOT STAY IN BUFFALO WITHOUT A NEW STADIUM! This has nothing to do with how much you love tailgating or the memories that you have at The Ralph...it has to do with keeping the Bills in Buffalo. There is no argument...the Bills will leave if there is no new stadium.
DING DING DING DING DING!!!!

Nighthawk
02-15-2010, 08:34 AM
That's a rational, well thought out policy isn't it? You must have a new stadium. . . to have a new stadium. Even if the fans don't much care about it, even if puts the team or taxpayers in debt, and even if doesn't materially improve revenue.

Personally, I think they need a new stadium...I'm not a fan of the Ralph. That being said, it's a fact of life if you want to play in the big leagues. It's not a new concept and it is just the way it is. Hate it all you want, but it's the way of sports nowadays.

Typ0
02-15-2010, 08:41 AM

The real challenge to your "even if the fans don't care about it" attitude is it focuses on fans that are already had. Are you saying those fans are going to care if they have to watch the game in a new stadium? Your thinking is so lopsided. The NFL is concerned about getting new customers not the ones that don't care. As much as you want to cling to how the stadium is full it isn't anywhere near full on a regular basis. There is always large blocks of seats that have to be bought up by someone to keep the game on TV. As the season wears on there is tons of empty seats in the stadium which basically means season ticket holders are getting stuck paying for seats they don't want and can't even give away. Heck, the team is the only one that has to go play home games in another city to get people to buy season tickets. Don't think the impact of all the amenities in stadiums like Dallas has don't make an impact in a kids head and then they get to come to the Ralph and sit on a frozen bench and stand in line for an entire quarter waiting to take a piss in a sink. If they lose those kids huge percentages of them are lost forever it's a proven marketing fact.

The league is saying you people have to move on from the novelty of the old stadium and move into the new era so they can remain on top of all the professional sports. For the fans that don't care, they won't care if it's old or new. But they want the ones that do care. They want both and the only way to get them is to build a new stadium. Furthermore, a new stadium will build a long term commitment and equity in new york state. The way things stand right now we're looking at someone easily coming in and scooping the team right out of NY after Wilson dies. He refuses to even talk about this despite the fact that he probably can get the best deal for the team RIGHT NOW. It's about time the league, the politicians, the players and the fans all started to pressure him into making choices that will help keep the team here not set it up to move. Yeah, it's his team but he has a social responsibility to this market and the league is about to go through a tough time. If this market gets swept away they are going to hurt long term and won't be able to do anything about it because of the economic climate and the current challenges to the labor agreement.

Typ0
02-15-2010, 08:48 AM
And when you have kids they won't be interested in going to a game unless the cowboys are playing. And when you die there won't be any fans left. Your approach leaves the team devistated long term.

Exactly. After the money they spent on it...they could do a few more renovations and it would last another 10-20 years with no problem.

1. Renovate the locker rooms and practice facilities and bring them to today's standards.
2. Move the press box to the corner, like they were going to do. Renovate that area into a new state of the art suite right in the middle of the field.
3. Renovate some of the bathrooms and get rid of all the urinal sinks or troughs.
4. Paint the end zones red again. It looks much better that way!

Typ0
02-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Oh and the other huge part of this is Orchard Park doesn't want the stadium there. They have totally shut down it's use from many highly profitable activities. In order to get that going on the stadium has to be in another place. Do you suggest they move RWS so you can remember the good old days of pissing in a sink?

Typ0
02-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Bottom line: in business and marketing you either do things to improve and grow your product or you go into decline and die off. That's all their is to it.

mush69
02-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Bottom line: in business and marketing you either do things to improve and grow your product or you go into decline and die off. That's all their is to it.

In order to make MONEY, you have to Spend It!

Typ0
02-15-2010, 09:10 AM
In order to make MONEY, you have to Spend It!

Wilson is setting the team up to put the screws to the league, municipalities and the fans. Everyone but the blindest of "optimist" (I prefer to think of them as idiots myself) can see it. It just amazes me how people want to just sit around and do nothing and hope for the best.

THATHURMANATOR
02-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Wilson is setting the team up to put the screws to the league, municipalities and the fans. Everyone but the blindest of "optimist" (I prefer to think of them as idiots myself) can see it. It just amazes me how people want to just sit around and do nothing and hope for the best.
Even I see it and I am the ultimate optimist.

billsfootball1027
02-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Ive been to Gillette and the ravens stadium (idk the name) Both looks amazing comparin to the ralph. Face it folks ...we need a new stadium whether you like it or not.

Michael82
02-15-2010, 01:04 PM

If this is the case, then why isn't St Louis looking to build a new stadium so they can keep their team? It's not new and is kinda crappy.

Typ0
02-15-2010, 01:07 PM
If this is the case, then why isn't St Louis looking to build a new stadium so they can keep their team? It's not new and is kinda crappy.

That stadium is less than 15 years old and hasn't even reached half way into it's life cycle yet! RWS is almost 40 years old.

Michael82
02-15-2010, 01:37 PM
That stadium is less than 15 years old and hasn't even reached half way into it's life cycle yet! RWS is almost 40 years old.
It may be...but it had major renovations 10 years ago, including new seats installed, updated suites and a new field. I really don't see it as bad as you say it is...

Michael82
02-15-2010, 01:39 PM
The Bears stadium was from the 1920's and they didnt build a new stadium, they just spend $300 million to renovate it. The Chiefs stadium is as old as ours and they aren't building a new one. They are renovating it.

PromoTheRobot
02-15-2010, 01:43 PM
It may be...but it had major renovations 10 years ago, including new seats installed, updated suites and a new field. I really don't see it as bad as you say it is...
RWS is not that bad but the rest of the NFL is way beyond it. So basically it's keep up with the league or lose your franchise. Fair or not, that's the deal. You want to run with the big boys you gotta have the crib.

How's this? A 75,000 seat dome at Niagara Falls? Plenty of hotels, casinos and attractions. At least 30-minutes closer to any fan coming from the direction of Toronto. Potential to host a Super Bowl.

PTR

Bravo82
02-15-2010, 01:50 PM
RWS is not that bad but the rest of the NFL is way beyond it. So basically it's keep up with the league or lose your franchise. Fair or not, that's the deal. You want to run with the big boys you gotta have the crib.

How's this? A 75,000 seat dome at Niagara Falls? Plenty of hotels, casinos and attractions. At least 30-minutes closer to any fan coming from the direction of Toronto. Potential to host a Super Bowl.

PTR

Although I am against a new stadium, if one is ever built, it should be in rural Niagara county as someone posted. Downtown Buffalo or downtown Niagara Falls would be a disaster. Although I don't see what is wrong in spending $50-100 million upgrading the Ralph. What the hell do some of these people want? Massaging seats with personal tv's built into the back of the persons seat in front of you like on airplanes? The Ralph is a fine venue that just needs a few upgrades. The stadium is not falling apart, and the sight-lines are great. Maybe the "do not urinate in sink" signs rubbed the commish the wrong way? :idunno:

Nighthawk
02-15-2010, 02:04 PM

Do your research...it was mentioned as one of the first things that the new owner has to look into doing.

Nighthawk
02-15-2010, 02:05 PM
The Bears stadium was from the 1920's and they didnt build a team stadium, they just spend $300 million to renovate it. The Chiefs stadium is as old as ours and they aren't building a new one. They are renovating it.

Wrong...the Bears stadium is brand new...they just built it on the same location as the old stadium.

http://www.stadiumsofprofootball.com/nfc/SoldierField.htm

better days
02-15-2010, 02:09 PM

PTR

How do hotels, Casinos & attractions benifit the NFL? Answer: they don't. The only question about the Bills staying in Buffalo will be if there is enough Corporate support. The Toronto initiative was a great move by Brandon. The season will be expanding by 2 games. Those will go to Toronto along with one or two more (including preseason.)

Nighthawk
02-15-2010, 02:13 PM
How do hotels, Casinos & attractions benifit the NFL? Answer: they don't. The only question about the Bills staying in Buffalo will be if there is enough Corporate support. The Toronto initiative was a great move by Brandon. The season will be expanding by 2 games. Those will go to Toronto along with one or two more (including preseason.)

No, they will not get two more games...that won't happen.

Beebe's Kid
02-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Hmm...there's that dome idea...**** that. **** it right in the ass.

If you don't want to go sit in the cold...then don't go to a game in December. Seriously. I thought the turn out for the Indianapolis game showed that the fans like a good snow game.

A $300 million dollar "renovation," is a much more reasonable proposition than a $900 million dollar stadium. Hell, if they give all the seat "the attachment" we might all benefit in the end. Also a Dyna Jump, and some 5-star restaurants would be nice...how about individual toilets with bidets?

If the NFL is gearing towards those that can afford the $250k luxury boxes, and that is who they think is going to make all the money, **** them. I will watch hockey.

In a microcosm of what is wrong with this society, there is no more middle class, and if they NFL thinks it doesn't need us commoners, and they let us eat cake, they will be setting themselves up for fall. There has already been two leagues that tried to challenge the monster, and failed. Eventually somebody will succeed.

What was a ticket to one of JP's games this year? Let us land one of those teams, and I'll be just as happy watching that league. Ok, maybe not just as happy, but I only watch the NFL because of the Bills...if they leave Buffalo and we get another team, I'll watch them.

better days
02-15-2010, 03:03 PM
No, they will not get two more games...that won't happen.

The season expands to 18 games, that means 9 home games. The Bills have already given up 2 games so they give up one more & maybe even two. The Bills still will have 7 Home games in season & the money from Toronto keeps them viable in Buffalo. It will happen.

PECKERWOOD
02-15-2010, 03:05 PM
If they do build a new stadium, we should build it off of the graveyard that the Ralph currently sits on, LOL.

THATHURMANATOR
02-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Hmm...there's that dome idea...**** that. **** it right in the ass.

If you don't want to go sit in the cold...then don't go to a game in December. Seriously. I thought the turn out for the Indianapolis game showed that the fans like a good snow game.

A $300 million dollar "renovation," is a much more reasonable proposition than a $900 million dollar stadium. Hell, if they give all the seat "the attachment" we might all benefit in the end. Also a Dyna Jump, and some 5-star restaurants would be nice...how about individual toilets with bidets?

If the NFL is gearing towards those that can afford the $250k luxury boxes, and that is who they think is going to make all the money, **** them. I will watch hockey.

In a microcosm of what is wrong with this society, there is no more middle class, and if they NFL thinks it doesn't need us commoners, and they let us eat cake, they will be setting themselves up for fall. There has already been two leagues that tried to challenge the monster, and failed. Eventually somebody will succeed.

What was a ticket to one of JP's games this year? Let us land one of those teams, and I'll be just as happy watching that league. Ok, maybe not just as happy, but I only watch the NFL because of the Bills...if they leave Buffalo and we get another team, I'll watch them.
Again while I agree with your assesment on a dome how do you expect to even have a possibility of state and local funding for a stadium that is only used for 7 to 9 events a year? It won't happen.

Typ0
02-15-2010, 03:07 PM
The Bears stadium was from the 1920's and they didnt build a team stadium, they just spend $300 million to renovate it. The Chiefs stadium is as old as ours and they aren't building a new one. They are renovating it.

First of all the Bears built a new stadium. Second of all Chicago and KC are happy with their stadium where it is. Buffalo totally screwed up in the 70s and succumbed to political pressure and put the stadium in Orchard Park where it wasn't wanted. As time went on there was more and more political pressure to not hold events there until finally they were all cut off. The stadium is not wanted in Orchard Park. There is no bantering about renovations it's wasted money and will never happen because $$$$ can't be realized in the economy of WNY with the stadium in OP. As much as you love RWS it's not practical to upgrade it as it will never be on par with stadiums being built today and furthermore it's just plain not wanted in the location it's in.

THATHURMANATOR
02-15-2010, 03:09 PM
First of all the Bears built a new stadium. Second of all Chicago and KC are happy with their stadium where it is. Buffalo totally screwed up in the 70s and succumbed to political pressure and put the stadium in Orchard Park where it wasn't wanted. As time went on there was more and more political pressure to not hold events there until finally they were all cut off. The stadium is not wanted in Orchard Park. There is no bantering about renovations it's wasted money and will never happen because $$$$ can't be realized in the economy of WNY with the stadium in OP. As much as you love RWS it's not practical to upgrade it as it will never be on par with stadiums being built today and furthermore it's just plain not wanted in the location it's in.
I agree with this.

Tiburon1724
02-15-2010, 09:37 PM
I love the experience at the Ralph once I'm in my seats - my seasons are in the Rockpile and honestly I prefer the metal bench to individual seats. Better to make noise with!! I don't need cupholders though the heated red seats are nice I'm sure :)

But the tunnel is disgraceful. The concession stands are an absolute joke...they take a calculator and just stuff money in an old wooden drawer. Is this a high school stadium or the pros? This experience should be more like the one as HSBC Arena...actual cash registers, cleanliness, etc. The restrooms are disgusting, the tunnels themselves are an eyesore and I'm sure the player facilities (locker rooms etc) are nowhere near other stadiums. To me, this is where the attention is needed.

Typ0
02-15-2010, 09:40 PM
I totally agree. The benches are not the problem it's the rest of the stuff that is. I've seen women pissing in the mens sinks believe it or not as the lines were too long in the girls room (yeah, these girls were a mess).

I love the experience at the Ralph once I'm in my seats - my seasons are in the Rockpile and honestly I prefer the metal bench to individual seats. Better to make noise with!! I don't need cupholders though the heated red seats are nice I'm sure :)

But the tunnel is disgraceful. The concession stands are an absolute joke...they take a calculator and just stuff money in an old wooden drawer. Is this a high school stadium or the pros? This experience should be more like the one as HSBC Arena...actual cash registers, cleanliness, etc. The restrooms are disgusting, the tunnels themselves are an eyesore and I'm sure the player facilities (locker rooms etc) are nowhere near other stadiums. To me, this is where the attention is needed.

G Wolly
02-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Los Angeles has a nice new stadium waiting for someone to play in it

:scared:

PromoTheRobot
02-16-2010, 12:47 AM
They don't directly but having an attraction next to a stadium makes it more attractive. Make it part of a more fun destination. Maybe even attract an event like a NCAA FInal Four or a Super Bowl.

The other hook with Niagara Falls is it's that much closer to any Bills fan coming from St. Catherines, Hamilton or Toronto. It would be a way of claiming Toronto as a Bills market.

PTR

better days
02-16-2010, 01:06 AM
Los Angeles has PROPOSAL for a nice new stadium waiting for someone to play in it

:scared:

Fixed. There is no guarantee that stadium will ever be built.

Cleve
02-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Given the current economic climate, I suspect we won't see a lot of major public facilities being built over the next few years.

Typ0
02-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Given the current economic climate, I suspect we won't see a lot of major public facilities being built over the next few years.

Really? Seems that a lot of politicians think we can spend our way out of the recession with a new new deal.

don137
02-16-2010, 09:51 AM

Agreed, given the current economic climate if the Bills have to upgrade and build a new stadium or refurbish RWS soon, Ralph may have to fit some/most of that bill which will likely be passed on to the people going to the game if a new stadium is built thus likely causing prices to go up and/or the the implementation of PSL (personal seat license) where the season ticket holder has to pay a one time charge for the right to buy season ticket holders. This PSL can be sold buy the holder however it needs to come up with the cash to buy the PSL. Who knows if season ticket holders will be willing to buy PSLs or a hefty hike in the cost of tickets.

Typ0
02-16-2010, 09:55 AM
What good is PSL in a stadium that is not full of season ticket holders?

THATHURMANATOR
02-16-2010, 09:58 AM
How much are PSLs in the smaller market teams?

Beebe's Kid
02-16-2010, 10:43 AM

When I was at the Tennessee game, I think the guy next to me told me his were $4000.

don137
02-16-2010, 11:32 AM
For the Panthers they range from 2K-20K for a PSL. Upper deck is pretty much 2k-3K. Lower level is where it gets pricey. End zone is somewhere in the 7.5K range and sideline between the 20s is 20K.

Typ0
02-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Seriously? Someone is going to pay thousands just for the right to purchase a season ticket? That would never work in BUF. What about people that have had tickets for a long time do they need to pony up or lose their seats? I'm sure people like Jan are going to be really happy to shell out 40K to keep their seats.

G Wolly
02-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Fixed. There is no guarantee that stadium will ever be built.

Thanks. That's what I meant. I overheard something with "Los Angeles" and "Football Stadium"

:sorry:

don137
02-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Seriously? Someone is going to pay thousands just for the right to purchase a season ticket? That would never work in BUF. What about people that have had tickets for a long time do they need to pony up or lose their seats? I'm sure people like Jan are going to be really happy to shell out 40K to keep their seats.
That's what happened to Giants fans when they got their new stadium. They had to all of sudden pony up thousands of dollars for the right to buy tickets that they have had for 20-30 years. The PSLs for their seats were much higher.
I agree, that I do not think it would go over big in Buffalo but their is a price to pay if you want to stay with the Jones and Snyders unfortunately.

Beebe's Kid
02-16-2010, 03:39 PM

The guy that I sat next to in Tennessee said that they had a lottery where people got "picked" to get the right to buy a PSL. They had an entire year to pay for them, and once they paid the amount they needed to renew their seasons every year, or lose the PSL.

He told me the waiting list for PSL's was huge, and that he had heard that they were currently selling from 15,000 to 25,000. He had very good seat, for what it's worth.

He said that they have, basically, no seating available that isn't PSLs. He said it was kind of a cruel joke when individual tickets went on sale, because people will camp out and wait for the box office to open, and there is barely anything to go around.

I know a few season ticket holders in Pittsburgh, as well, and they only have two sections that aren't PSL. The bleachers above the endzones... The one doctor in our office has seasons up there because they do not require the PSL. To get a PSL in Pittsburgh, you pretty much have to wait for somebody to die. They sell for insane amounts of money.

There are only a few stadiums that don't have PSL's. It looks like that is going to be an inevitability, especially if (when) there is a new owner.

The gentleman in Tennessee, who's stadium is bunk compared to the Ralph by the way, told me that the PSL's were how they got the stadium paid for...I don't see how that would even put a dent in a stadium cost. I guess the $200 mill or so, would help with a restoration project.

Overall, it is a ****ing joke what it costs to go to sporting events. It is asinine how much it costs to take a family to a game. It is becoming elitist, and shows now signs of leveling off. The cost of everything goes up, while jobs are becoming harder to find, and cutting salaries. It is amazing. The players and owners keep getting richer, while it becomes increasingly difficult to have the "common" member of society make it feasible to follow their teams.

THATHURMANATOR
02-16-2010, 03:42 PM
I could swing 2 grand.

Typ0
02-16-2010, 04:22 PM
I could swing 2 grand.

That's for one seat. How many do you have?

Typ0
02-16-2010, 04:27 PM
I don't think RWS has even been full of season ticket holders. And they put a crappy product on the field. People aren't going to pony up a 10K finders fee for decent seats and this type of thing would cause many tickets to go unsold. 200 M cash is a huge amount though to get financing if there are cash flows to realize from the project in the future.

The guy that I sat next to in Tennessee said that they had a lottery where people got "picked" to get the right to buy a PSL. They had an entire year to pay for them, and once they paid the amount they needed to renew their seasons every year, or lose the PSL.

He told me the waiting list for PSL's was huge, and that he had heard that they were currently selling from 15,000 to 25,000. He had very good seat, for what it's worth.

He said that they have, basically, no seating available that isn't PSLs. He said it was kind of a cruel joke when individual tickets went on sale, because people will camp out and wait for the box office to open, and there is barely anything to go around.

I know a few season ticket holders in Pittsburgh, as well, and they only have two sections that aren't PSL. The bleachers above the endzones... The one doctor in our office has seasons up there because they do not require the PSL. To get a PSL in Pittsburgh, you pretty much have to wait for somebody to die. They sell for insane amounts of money.

There are only a few stadiums that don't have PSL's. It looks like that is going to be an inevitability, especially if (when) there is a new owner.

The gentleman in Tennessee, who's stadium is bunk compared to the Ralph by the way, told me that the PSL's were how they got the stadium paid for...I don't see how that would even put a dent in a stadium cost. I guess the $200 mill or so, would help with a restoration project.

Overall, it is a ****ing joke what it costs to go to sporting events. It is asinine how much it costs to take a family to a game. It is becoming elitist, and shows now signs of leveling off. The cost of everything goes up, while jobs are becoming harder to find, and cutting salaries. It is amazing. The players and owners keep getting richer, while it becomes increasingly difficult to have the "common" member of society make it feasible to follow their teams.

BuffaloRanger
02-17-2010, 12:06 PM
The Titans stadium is nicer then the Ralph. Not much tailgating, but plenty of bars within walking distance.

Buffalo doesn't have the corporate sponsorship to afford high priced luxury boxes in a new stadium - which is the big money maker in any stadium deal.

That corporate sponsorship is what the NFL is all about now. The fans selling out games doesn't matter at all. It's how much can be made from huge corporations. There just aren't enough of those type of companies in Buffalo.

Any owner building a new stadium would incure alot of debt. The Ralph is paid for. All profit. A new owner could easily talk (blackmail) the County and State into funding massive renovations of the Ralph. A new stadium that gets used less then 10 times a year would be a hard sell.

And for those thinking a new domed Buffalo stadium could ever be awarded a SB over places like Miami and Dallas...just keep dreaming.

The NFL can't sell "sexy" Buffalo for its marquee event to America. Never would even try.

THATHURMANATOR
02-17-2010, 12:22 PM
That's for one seat. How many do you have?
1 seat, Why would I get 2 seats for myself?

Nighthawk
02-17-2010, 12:29 PM

You can buy one for me? :rockon:

THATHURMANATOR
02-17-2010, 12:37 PM
You can buy one for me? :rockon:
If I won the lottery I would.

PromoTheRobot
02-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Here's an idea. What if your PSL actually got you an equity share of the stadium? And every year you got a dividend from the seats you own for every event held in that stadium? Just an idea to raise money and to make the whole PSL thing come off less as such an assrape.

PTR

PromoTheRobot
02-17-2010, 03:25 PM
And for those thinking a new domed Buffalo stadium could ever be awarded a SB over places like Miami and Dallas...just keep dreaming. The NFL can't sell "sexy" Buffalo for its marquee event to America. Never would even try.

NOT in Buffalo...In Niagara Falls! A dome in Niagara Falls might get one Super Bowl. The NFL often promises Super Bowls to teams as a carrot to get local officials to go along with a new stadium. And before you laugh off Niagara Falls, it is still considered a world famous tourist destination. You have lots of nice hotels, casinos, attractions, and of course...strip clubs, right there. For christ's sake, if you can hold TWO Super Bowls in friggin' Detroit, you can have one in Niagara Falls.

PTR

THATHURMANATOR
02-17-2010, 03:33 PM
NOT in Buffalo...In Niagara Falls! A dome in Niagara Falls might get one Super Bowl. The NFL often promises Super Bowls to teams as a carrot to get local officials to go along with a new stadium. And before you laugh off Niagara Falls, it is still considered a world famous tourist destination. You have lots of nice hotels, casinos, attractions, and of course...strip clubs, right there. For christ's sake, if you can hold TWO Super Bowls in friggin' Detroit, you can have one in Niagara Falls.

PTR
Why in the Hell would we even be worrying about hosting a Super Bowl People. It aint happening EVER!!! Lets focus on keeping the Bills in Buffalo, or Niagara Falls whatever, but just in WNY.

HHURRICANE
02-17-2010, 04:26 PM
I think it's time for the Indians to step in and have a pow wow with Ralph and NY State.

Typ0
02-17-2010, 04:51 PM

Don't you have a pair? I figured you had one for your girl.

Typ0
02-17-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm still waiting for Buffalo's olympic bid.