PDA

View Full Version : The four most common draft mistakes

Don't Panic
02-14-2010, 06:54 AM
This is Insider, so to avoid TOS violation, I'll paraphrase. It'll be in ESPN the Mag.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=4907951

McShay raises great points.

1. QB, OT, CB and Pass Rusher are the four most important positions, and should be the ones focused on at the top of the draft. Good thing we need three of those!

2. 40 times and bench presses make some guys look better than they are, and others worse than they are

3. Personal interview tells how much a player can break down his own play, and what his football IQ is

4. Teams take players of need over players of value

In the last section, he cites the Bills. Says he have been awful at this, as is evidenced by McCargo, Lynch, and McKelvin. He goes on to say we would be making this mistake again if we reach for Claussen (McShay has already proven to not be his biggest fan). He says we should go LT and wait for a McCoy or Pike later in the draft.

Hard to argue with a lot of that. I especially like #3 and I think this is where Nix and his team are really going to show their worth. The guys we bring in will be football smart and will be ready sooner than others.

#4 is a great argument for McClain if the LTs we like are gone (although I realize it goes against #1).

BTW, he mentioned Shipley and Ordick as guys who fit #2 (positively) and Morgan as a guy who fits #3 (once again... positively).

k-oneputt
02-14-2010, 07:06 AM
Odrick is a guy that has the Bills written alll over him. He wouldn't be my pick but Ralph seems to loves these PSU players who's value gets over inflated. Wouldn't shock me at all if he is their pick in the 2nd rd.

X-Era
02-14-2010, 07:24 AM
This is Insider, so to avoid TOS violation, I'll paraphrase. It'll be in ESPN the Mag.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=4907951

McShay raises great points.

1. QB, OT, CB and Pass Rusher are the four most important positions, and should be the ones focused on at the top of the draft. Good thing we need three of those!

2. 40 times and bench presses make some guys look better than they are, and others worse than they are

3. Personal interview tells how much a player can break down his own play, and what his football IQ is

4. Teams take players of need over players of value

In the last section, he cites the Bills. Says he have been awful at this, as is evidenced by McCargo, Lynch, and McKelvin. He goes on to say we would be making this mistake again if we reach for Claussen (McShay has already proven to not be his biggest fan). He says we should go LT and wait for a McCoy or Pike later in the draft.

Hard to argue with a lot of that. I especially like #3 and I think this is where Nix and his team are really going to show their worth. The guys we bring in will be football smart and will be ready sooner than others.

#4 is a great argument for McClain if the LTs we like are gone (although I realize it goes against #1).

BTW, he mentioned Shipley and Ordick as guys who fit #2 (positively) and Morgan as a guy who fits #3 (once again... positively).

I read that too. I dont totally agree with him. But, I like his version of waiting for a QB like McCoy. McClain at 9? Sure, Id be happy with that.

However,

I do feel like LB may be the easiest spot to fill from free agency. I could see that no quality vet becomes available at QB, LT, or at DT. But at LB, we already know we will see Antonio Pierce and Joey Porter, and that's before FA even has started.

Id like to see us take advantage of the strengths of both the draft and free agency.

methos4ever
02-14-2010, 07:38 AM
Its quite easy for him to make declarative statements about the Bills given their lack of success, but in his final mock draft, he had Posluszny going to the Giants in 1st round, Lynch to the Packers in the 1st round and Willis going to the Bills because the 49ers took Alan Branch (who wasn't taken until 33 after a trade via the Cards and Raiders).

With McKelvin, he was the consensus 1 or 2 CB, who McShay mocked to either the Bengals or Pats depending on his mood (alternating the pats' pick with Vernon Golston). So claiming the Bills were reaching for a guy he had in the top ten is just bad analysis on his part at best.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&page=mcshaymock0415

In the article (his final mock), he mentions McKelvin in his final mock as an option for the Bills that would be a good fit.

we are
02-14-2010, 08:01 AM
well since we're talking about draft mistakes...why doesn't he mention that spread offense QB's FAIL in the NFL? Or the fact that 2nd and 3rd round qb's have sucked recently?

Buddo
02-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Sorry, but McShay is not someone who I am inclined to give any great kudos for his 'insight', as he actually doesn't have any. Same thing for Kiper tbh. The only thing they are qualified at all to do, is make player evaluations - and even that is highly debatable.
As to how teams operate their drafts, McShay knows an awful lot less than he believes. Both he and Kiper are largely clueless as to teams needs, so they couldn't possibly know if someone was picked for a need anyway.

Griff
02-14-2010, 09:37 AM
well since we're talking about draft mistakes...why doesn't he mention that spread offense QB's FAIL in the NFL? Or the fact that 2nd and 3rd round qb's have sucked recently?

Brees was a 2nd round pick (technically)

we are
02-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Brees was a 2nd round pick (technically)

yeah and brees is pretty much the only exception to both those rules. look at the mid round QB's of the past few years....dreadful.

DraftBoy
02-14-2010, 12:07 PM
He's right about the 4 common mistakes teams make and I completely agree with his assessment of Shipley, Clausen, Odrick, and Morgan.

Morgan is quite deficient against the run and nobody seems to be mentioning that, not to mention he got winded a lot last season and took quite a good number of plays off on the sidelines. Some of that is due to Johnson's constant rotation system but he was out at times on 3rd and passing downs.

SABURZFAN
02-14-2010, 12:13 PM
He's right about the 4 common mistakes teams make

i will go on record to say that there isn't a C worth drafting in the 1st round this year. :snicker:

Mitchell55
02-14-2010, 12:38 PM
I hate McCoy. I would rather OJ