X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gunzlingr
    • Jul 2002

McCaffrey not at full speed

The Denver Broncos' best-case scenario was that wide receiver Ed McCaffrey would be able to fully participate in team drills by the time their mini-camp concludes next week.

But despite making weekly progress while recovering from hernia surgery, McCaffrey maintains that scenario isn't going to play out.

"Coaches and trainers are always overly optimistic," he said Thursday.

McCaffrey estimated he is only about 75 percent ready physically and, at most, will run pass routes without being defended over the final four practices of the mini-camp.

Thursday, McCaffrey ran with the team's receivers during warm-ups, stretched and ran a couple of routes on which the ball was thrown to him. He spent the rest of the time primarily as a bystander.

"In order to go against a defense, you really need to be 95 or 100 percent or else you're really wasting everybody's time," he said. "I don't want to throw the quarterbacks' timing off or have DBs playing off of me. When I come back, I want to be ready to go."

McCaffrey said he still is positive about the pace of his recovery, adding, "I feel pretty good about where I'll be at training camp."

more
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!
Working...
X