PDA

View Full Version : Willams to play NT????

SeatownBillsFan21
02-14-2010, 08:45 PM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/02/13/not-pigeon-holing-nt-role/

I think He is a fan favorite a guy who was a 5th round pick and has out performed his draft status to end up being a pro bowl type player.

I see some MOCK offseason threads where people are predicting us to trade kyle and i hope that is not the case i think he could at least raise some eyebrows in 2010 at the least. kids got heart IMO and this team is better with him than without.

YardRat
02-14-2010, 08:48 PM
“You have ideal size that you want at particular positions,” Edwards said. ”That doesn’t mean you’re always going to have the ideal size at those positions so you have to play to the size and the strength of the people that you have on your roster.”
That would seem to indicate that they will work to find ways to get Kyle Williams on the field even though he might not look like a prototypical 3-4 nose tackle.

Lexwhat
02-14-2010, 10:35 PM
lol

more cowbell
02-14-2010, 10:53 PM
kyle williams is probally my favorite player on the team...but the guy is not a 3-4 nose tackle

BertSquirtgum
02-14-2010, 11:12 PM
is this some kind of joke? kyle williams a nose tackle in a 3-4? he would get swallowed up and pushed backwards into the secondary on each and every play. now defensive end.....i could see.

Stewie
02-14-2010, 11:40 PM
aka "we play the guys we have"

this will still be true after the draft, after FA, through injuries and the rest of eternity. until 2012

BillsWin
02-14-2010, 11:51 PM
Depends on who we get in the off season. He may get rotated in with hybrid looks.

Buddo
02-15-2010, 04:17 AM
While Williams may not be a prototypical NT, don't underestimate the guys heart.
In certain respects, I see similarities between Williams and Fred Jackson. By that, I mean that Jackson struck me as a guy who just needed to play more, to understand what was needed from him at a given level. They are both out and out ballers.
If Williams can show an ability to get off that first block, then he can be a factor, as that will require him to be double teamed a fair bit, and you need that.
I'm not saying he will be brilliant, but I do think he may be able to do a job.
Leverage and speed can counter size, when used right, and Williams might just have enough of both.
He could also be swamped, but I think that less likely tbh.

elltrain22
02-15-2010, 04:54 AM
Our run def would look worse than it did last year if he plays NT. Not gonna happen.

Night Train
02-15-2010, 05:51 AM
Here's a guess.

Our roster will turn over 20-35% from now until training camp.

Then we'll have many answers at various roster positions.

Jan Reimers
02-15-2010, 07:05 AM
Here's a guess.

Our roster will turn over 20-35% from now until training camp.

Then we'll have many answers at various roster positions.
I agree, NT. It is far too early to put any stock in a casual radio interview conducted in mid-February.

Mahdi
02-15-2010, 07:49 AM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/02/13/not-pigeon-holing-nt-role/

I think He is a fan favorite a guy who was a 5th round pick and has out performed his draft status to end up being a pro bowl type player.

I see some MOCK offseason threads where people are predicting us to trade kyle and i hope that is not the case i think he could at least raise some eyebrows in 2010 at the least. kids got heart IMO and this team is better with him than without.
This is just early speculation based on very broad and general comments. I bet KW does get some time at NT but no way does he do it full time and especially not on first and second down.

We would never get off the field.

Canadian'eh!
02-15-2010, 07:51 AM
ummmm 110% hell no.

I think he might be able to play DE, but even there i have some doubts. Might be best to trade him to a 4-3 team.

Stewie
02-15-2010, 09:58 AM
There's no way he's going to play NT. There's also no other correct answer for the head coach to give in this situation.

Whoever is playing NT is probably not currently on the roster. So what else is the coach gonna do? Commit tampering with an opposing teams player? Reveal favorite college players?

casdhf
02-15-2010, 10:04 AM
I think he'll be able to pull it off. He's done everything ever asked of him and done it well.

Ickybaluky
02-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Bart Oates, who was a great NT for the Lawrence Taylor-vintage Giants teams was only about 6-3, 265# and short-armed. He was tremendously quick (especially his hands) and had great technique, as well as being a smart player. He was a multi-time pro-bowler.

I remember the Pats had Tim Goad at NT for quite a few years. He was about 6'3", 280# with short arms, but like Williams was an high-effort player who got the most out of his ability. He was a pretty good player and an effective NT, although no All-Pro.

Of course, I remember when Mike Ruth won the Outland Trophy at BC, but was out of the NFL in two years because he was a short-armed NT who couldn't get off blocks. I remember a game against the Dolphins where Dwight Stephenson just embarrassed him. I think the difference between Ruth and Oates or Goad was he was a power player in college and did not have the technique and hand quickness that other undersized/short NT who were successful have had.

I know people like to think of the big, fat NT in the 3-4, but there are other ways to get things done. I don't know if Williams can play that position, because the techniques (particularly using the hands, which is critical) are completely different from what he has been doing. However, I wouldn't completely rule it out.

TigerJ
02-15-2010, 10:36 AM
I think Kyle Williams would have considerable trouble as a two gap NT. Others have pointed out that some teams (Dallas) plays a 3-4 that only requires the NT to have responsibility for one gap. Kyle Williams should be able to handle that, butthat does limit somewhat the things Buffalo can do defensively. I think ultimately the Bills are destined to bring in a big guy. Maybe Kyle Williams will start short term, but if he remains a Bill, he's going to end up being a rotational guy.

EDS
02-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Jeff Wright was a nose tackle too. It worked then because the Bills often played with a lead and forced teams to play catch up through the air. The current Bills offense doesn't exactly have the same effectiveness as the K-Gun.

Mahdi
02-15-2010, 10:59 AM
I think he'll be able to pull it off. He's done everything ever asked of him and done it well.
Except stop the run. He has been a door mat in that department.

PECKERWOOD
02-15-2010, 07:14 PM
There are different types of duties for the NT in the 3-4, it completely depends on what they're trying to do. Kyle Williams could play NT, you would just need to bring a LB up to shoot the gap next to him.

bigbub2352
02-15-2010, 07:45 PM
its the cheap way out

Mahdi
02-16-2010, 07:39 AM
There are different types of duties for the NT in the 3-4, it completely depends on what they're trying to do. Kyle Williams could play NT, you would just need to bring a LB up to shoot the gap next to him.
Yeah do that and offenses will blow it up. An OG drive blocking a LB is not a good match-up.

No matter what KW playing NT is a liability. If you have to do different things to account for his weaknesses then you are exposing yourself somewhere else.

The Bills would be crazy to try him there week 1 and if they do they will change things up very quickly.

I still think Lonnie Harvey gets a crack at the starting NT job.

eperkins99
02-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Yeah do that and offenses will blow it up. An OG drive blocking a LB is not a good match-up.

No matter what KW playing NT is a liability. If you have to do different things to account for his weaknesses then you are exposing yourself somewhere else.

The Bills would be crazy to try him there week 1 and if they do they will change things up very quickly.

I still think Lonnie Harvey gets a crack at the starting NT job.

I agree with Harvey getting a shot at NT. But we could also us KW at NT in a passing situation the liabilty for him goes down.
I think KW will be a good end. He is not the "ideal size" but given his quickness he could be very effective out there.