• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Bills roster review: Inside linebacker

We’ve talked at length over the past week or so about the fact that the Buffalo Bills have a ton of work to do as they switch to a 3-4 defensive alignment under new defensive coordinator George Edwards. The team needs a nose tackle. They need better 5-technique fits at defensive end. They need more pass rushers. Unfortunately, they’re also lacking depth at linebacker.

Don’t get me wrong. As far as needs go in Buffalo’s front seven, inside linebacker probably ranks last, because the team does have two veteran players that they can pencil in as 2010 starters without having to worry too much. That doesn’t mean it’s a position that doesn’t need to be addressed heavily, however; Buffalo’s contenders at this position were brought in because of their schematic fit for Perry Fewell’s zone-based, speed-oriented scheme, and their skill sets, by and large, don’t translate to the scheme that Edwards will likely run.

After the jump, you’ll find our analysis of Buffalo’s inside linebacker prospects. Once you get past the top two names, you’re looking at a lineup that could be the biggest part of the Bills’ upcoming defensive purge. You might not see a lot of name imports here this off-season, but you’re almost certainly going to see a lot of bodies brought in.

What the new regime might be looking for
    No matter which type of 3-4 scheme Edwards installs, the Bills have two capable starters that they can pencil in for the short term. Don’t expect them to go out of their way to pick up a big-name linebacker, unless that linebacker is an outside linebacker. Depth, however, is a critical need, as there are exactly zero players capable of playing the 3-4 sitting behind the two starters. Look for a mid-round pick(s) and perhaps a low-tier free agent or two for reserve purposes.

Current personnel
    Ironically, even though we’re only looking at two players as worthy of being in a 3-4 defense, there are 10 players that project best to this position. Strange, eh?

Paul Posluszny. Poz is a downhill player and a sound tackler. His weak area will always be sifting through the trash, as they say, and if Buffalo runs a two-gap 3-4, Poz won’t have to do as much of that anymore. Playing the weak-side ILB spot, Poz has a shot to be better than ever, as his strengths will be maximized. I, personally, expect a career year from Poz in 2010, particularly as he’s entering the last year of his rookie contract.
    Contract status: 1 year remaining. Owed $665K in base salary.

Kawika Mitchell. Signed to play outside in a 4-3, Mitchell will be asked to slide inside next to Posluszny. Mitchell is coming off a season-ending knee injury he suffered in a Week 5 loss to Cleveland, but all signs at this point indicate that he’ll be ready to go come training camp. Mitchell, like Posluszny, is a downhill player that could excel with a move inside. His grip on a roster spot is firm given his size, experience and contract situation.
    Contract status: 3 years remaining. Owed $8.2M in base salary.

Keith Ellison. Buffalo might be tempted to keep this RFA around; the ankle injury that placed him on IR isn’t considered serious, and he’s a smart player more than capable of quickly picking up the nuances of a 3-4 defense. Given the Bills’ depth issues, it wouldn’t shock me to see the Bills slap Ellison with a solid tender and let him be a backup. The situation, however, doesn’t completely hide the fact that Ellison isn’t suited to playing in this defensive scheme. That might ultimately seal his fate.
    Contract status: Restricted Free Agent

Chris Draft. Signed as an injury replacement mid-way through the 2009 season because of his experience and familiarity with Perry Fewell’s defensive system. He’s very much a fringe player at this point, and probably won’t be back. Chris Draft is one hell of a model American, though – very, very nice guy.
    Contract status: Unrestricted Free Agent

Nic Harris. Anyone sensing a pattern here? Harris, entering his second year out of Oklahoma, is a light, quick linebacker that suits Buffalo’s outgoing defensive scheme. He’s not a 3-4 inside ‘backer. He might be better suited to drop a little weight and move back to strong safety, his college position. If he makes the team, it’ll be as a special teamer.

Contract status: Undisclosed. In second year of multi-year contract.
    Ashlee Palmer. There’s not a lot to say here; Palmer is very much in the same boat as Harris, though he doesn’t have the positional versatility of his fellow rookie.
    Contract status: Undisclosed. Not listed as a free agent by BuffaloBills.com.

Marcus Buggs. Buggs ended the 2009 season on IR, going out the same week as Mitchell. Again – light, quick linebacker incredibly ill-suited for this scheme.
    Contract status: Exclusive Rights Free Agent

Jon Corto. Here’s another guy whose best chance of sticking is on special teams – Corto has established himself as one of Buffalo’s best in that area. He, too, played safety in college, so don’t be shocked to see him move around some. That’s if he gets a free agent tender, obviously.
    Contract status: Exclusive Rights Free Agent

Josh Stamer. Stamer returned to Buffalo to play a reserve role in the final weeks of the ‘09 season, and is very unlikely to return.
    Contract status: Undisclosed. Likely an Unrestricted Free Agent.

Ryan Manalac. He spent part of the pre-season with Buffalo, then was brought back late in the year after the injury bug bit. Same story as pretty much everyone else above.
    Contract status: Your guess is as good as ours.

Who stays? Who goes?
    Given the alarming lack of depth here, it’s very safe to say that Posluszny and Mitchell aren’t going anywhere. Both are good players, and both will almost certainly be opening day starters. I wouldn’t be surprised if each of the other eight names on the list were let go before the ‘10 regular season began. Ellison might be retained simply because he’s somewhat dependable, but it’ll only be as deep depth.

If I were a betting man (and no, I’m not)…
    Posluszny and Mitchell are penciled in as starters. Harris, Palmer and Corto are retained because of their special teams abilities. Depending on what GM Buddy Nix sees via free agency, Ellison could be retained. There’s a lot of work to do behind the two starters, so expect a lot of bodies – not necessarily names – at this position.

Names to keep an eye on
    I personally believe that Alabama LB Rolando McClain is one of only three or four elite prospects available in the 2010 NFL Draft, so despite the need areas everywhere else, I’d have a hard time being OK with the Bills passing on him should he be available at No. 9. Larry Foote is a 3-4 veteran and could be brought in simply to teach the ropes to younger guys such as Posluszny; he could also push for a starting role. Jeff Ulbrich would also be a cheap vet that can act as a coach-on-the-field.

- Brian Galliford

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • PECKERWOOD
    Defies all logic
    • Oct 2006

Re: Bills roster review: Inside linebacker

Posluszny, Mitchell & Harris are probably the only players I'd even consider keeping from our linebacker group. I love how Harris plays with intensity, I thought he was actually pretty solid last year when called on, he could be a nice project ILB for us over the next couple years while contributing as a STer. Posluszny is our only bona fide starting inside linebacker and Mitchell is a solid rotational guy, but I'm not convinced that he is an every down player. Oddly enough, which may come as a surprise to some here, I think that Mitchell would be best used on passing downs as one of our blitz linebackers. I really think that Mitchell is strong enough to blitz on the inside, actually that's how he got most of his sacks. Other than that, Stamer can go, Ellison can go, Draft can go, Palmer can go, umm, pretty much everybody else can go, lol.

Comment

• Mahdi
      • Mar 2004

You can't retain players who don't fit in your defensive scheme solely to play special teams.

If injury hits these guys will have to fill in for starters and they have to be able to execute.

Ellison, Palmer and Corto are done.

Harris if he continues to add weight is a hitter and can hold on to a roster spot as an ILB.

He is currenly 235 pounds which is not far off typical ILB weight. Lawrence Timmons is 6'1 234.

Comment

• Prov401
        President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
        • Aug 2008

I've pretty much decided I want McClain.

I think we need to pick up a good free agent linebacker to go with McClain. I've stated before to a mixed reaction that I'd like to sign Banta-Cain from the Pats. Cain, Poz, McClain, Maybin...I think that is a solid group right there.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
          Defies all logic
          • Oct 2006

By the way, I just noticed that justa listed Rolando McClain as one of the four elite prospects in the 2010 class which is pretty much a joke. That tells me that you really don't watch much college football because McClain is not on par with elite LB prospects. You're a good poster justa, but an elite LB prospect is somebody like Patrick Willis for example. Look at this video, McClain is nowhere near this level of athleticism:

Please visit unlimitedsportsgaming.com. Everything Sports and Video gamings! Willis has to be the fastest LB in the game.

If you watched Patrick Willis at Ole Miss, you would know that the guy consistently made plays from sideline to sideline because he has an elite range. Not so much with Rolando, he is more of a hold your grounds type of linebacker. I think that Rolando will make a solid pro, but come on, he should not be in the top 10 discussions. I played along with that idea at one point in time because I was second guessing myself, but after having time to think on it, I don't want this guy with the 9th pick, that's a huge reach. I'm going to get blasted for saying this, but I think that McClain is a solid mid 1st to early 2nd round prospect, he is not an elite prospect.

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Just looking at that lineup frightens me.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Oldbillsfan
              shelby's big brother smilie smilie
              • Mar 2007

LB was never addressed properly last season.

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
                • Feb 2009

I love McClain but Micah Johnson can give you the same thing but two rounds later. Micah is just as big at 260 and almost athletic.

Comment

• psubills62
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2008

Yeah, McClain is definitely good (not exactly one of the elite 3 or 4 prospects, but still very good). I'd personally rather get an OT there and then grab Pat Angerer or Micah Johnson in later rounds.
                  "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                  - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

I'm going to go ahead and formally disagree with ya'll who don't think McClain is an elite prospect. Elite prospect, well maybe not sure but I think he's going to be a very elite player.

As a matter of fact in the last five years he's my third favorite draft prospect to come out in any round; other than when I ranked Vernon Davis (2006) and Patrick Willis (2007)

LOL, I remember the legendary arguments on BZ in 2006 when I said Davis would evolutionize the TE position. Obviously, I wasn't correct and he hasn't-- but he sure as hell came on big-time last year. I love that kid I think he's a stud.

Anyway. I see McClain as a leader with intangibles that will dominate in the NFL. If I was the Bills and I couldnt get Suh (they can't), I would draft McClain before ANYBODY else in the draft.

JUST my opinon

Comment

• Mahdi
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                      I'm going to go ahead and formally disagree with ya'll who don't think McClain is an elite prospect. Elite prospect, well maybe not sure but I think he's going to be a very elite player.

As a matter of fact in the last five years he's my third favorite draft prospect to come out in any round; other than when I ranked Vernon Davis (2006) and Patrick Willis (2007)

LOL, I remember the legendary arguments on BZ in 2006 when I said Davis would evolutionize the TE position. Obviously, I wasn't correct and he hasn't-- but he sure as hell came on big-time last year. I love that kid I think he's a stud.

Anyway. I see McClain as a leader with intangibles that will dominate in the NFL. If I was the Bills and I couldnt get Suh (they can't), I would draft McClain before ANYBODY else in the draft.

JUST my opinon
                      Vernon Davis might be the best TE in the league next year.

He is already probably the best blocking TE in the NFL and his receiving skills have caught up. Along with his elite speed and athleticism he might just revolutionize the position yet.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

If Suh, Okung, McCoy, Bulaga and Davis are gone, my next choices (if available) would be McLain or Bryant.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                          Defies all logic
                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by patmoran2006

JUST my opinon
                          And I accidentally called you justa, wow. I've been mentally rusty all week, wtf is my problem lately.

Anyways, how is McClain much different from Laurinaitis coming out? Or Jon Beason? The only difference to me really is that this is a week ILB class, there are only a handful of guys that I think are exceptional starters come day 1. Let me explain further:

2007 Draft: McClain would have been drafted behind Patrick Willis & possibly even Jon Beason.

2008 Draft: McClain would have possibly gone behind Keith Rivers & Jerod Mayo.

2009 Draft: McClain would have likely gone behind Aaron Curry, Brian Cushing, Clay Matthews, James Laurinaitis, Rey Maualuga & EVEN BRANDON SPIKES had he declared.

There is nothing elite about Rolando McClain at ALL, there are only a couple "elite" linebackers from over the last couple years, which would be Patrick Willis & Jon Beason.. Rolando McClain may not even be as good as a couple guys on the fringe like Jon Beason, Brian Cushing & Clay Matthews.
                          Last edited by PECKERWOOD; 02-15-2010, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• TrEd FTW
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by PECKERWOOD
                            Rolando McClain may not even be as good as a couple guys on the fringe like Jon Beason, Brian Cushing & Clay Matthews.
                            Beason is excellent, Cushing is the reigning DROY and Matthews had 10 sacks as a rookie.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by PECKERWOOD
                              And I accidentally called you justa, wow. I've been mentally rusty all week, wtf is my problem lately.

Anyways, how is McClain much different from Laurinaitis coming out? Or Jon Beason? The only difference to me really is that this is a week ILB class, there are only a handful of guys that I think are exceptional starters come day 1. Let me explain further:

2007 Draft: McClain would have been drafted behind Patrick Willis & possibly even Jon Beason.

2008 Draft: McClain would have possibly gone behind Keith Rivers & Jerod Mayo.

2009 Draft: McClain would have likely gone behind Aaron Curry, Brian Cushing, Clay Matthews, James Laurinaitis, Rey Maualuga & EVEN BRANDON SPIKES had he declared.

There is nothing elite about Rolando McClain at ALL, there are only a couple "elite" linebackers from over the last couple years, which would be Patrick Willis & Jon Beason.. Rolando McClain may not even be as good as a couple guys on the fringe like Jon Beason, Brian Cushing & Clay Matthews.
                              Its kind of one of those things were we have to wait a few years and see.

I'm telling ya man.. IN 2006 I went through this with many people (and a few along the way who felt the same) with Vernon DAvis.. I thought he was the best thing ever.

For about three years I looked like a complete moron becuase he was a bust. Last year-- not so much as he started playing up to his potential.

I cant really explain why I feel the way I do about McClain-- I just do.. I think he has all the tools, and the intangibles.

BTW, I'ts irrelevent, because with Poz and Mitchell here I dont see us drafting him anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X