02-15-2010, 03:12 PM
stupid poll. no brainer.

seanbillsfan
02-15-2010, 03:12 PM
they could play in the parking lot as long as they didnt move away

THATHURMANATOR
02-15-2010, 03:14 PM
stupid poll. no brainer.
Yeah I agree it is a stupid poll but with the posts by some members on the topic of a dome it has me wondering.

THATHURMANATOR
02-15-2010, 03:15 PM
If the Bills are going to stay a new stadium is needed and I would have to believe they would go with a dome.

psubills62
02-15-2010, 03:18 PM
If the Bills are going to stay a new stadium is needed and I would have to believe they would go with a dome.

Why not go with a retractable dome?

JCBills
02-15-2010, 03:18 PM

If they built it on the waterfront where they should, then yeah, it probably would have to be.

That would bring back a lot of life to the waterfront though, hotels, shops, restaurants all could be built around the stadium.

T-Long
02-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Even though I have no emotional ties to the city itself, I would have a hard time rooting for them if they weren't there. Now, if it was Toronto, then I'd probably still be a fan. But I could totally understand fans from Buffalo would have a hard time doing that.

G Wolly
02-15-2010, 03:22 PM

It's expensive

PECKERWOOD
02-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Why put in a dome? The only reason for a dome would be to host a Super Bowl which will never happen anyways as our local economy would not be able to accommodate so many people in the first place.

Nighthawk
02-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Even though I have no emotional ties to the city itself, I would have a hard time rooting for them if they weren't there. Now, if it was Toronto, then I'd probably still be a fan. But I could totally understand fans from Buffalo would have a hard time doing that.

No offense, T-Long, but anybody who would root for the Bills if they were not in Buffalo is not really a "Buffalo Bills" fan, but an NFL Bills fan. The passion between the two is totally different...and I would NEVER, ever root for the Bills franchise again if it was in another city.

Nighthawk
02-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Why put in a dome? The only reason for a dome would be to host a Super Bowl which will never happen anyways as our local economy would not be able to accommodate so many people in the first place.

Think about it...with the tough economic ways of the state currently, they will never build a stadium that would only be used for 8 events a year...doesn't make sense. The stadium would have to be a able to host multiple events throughout the year. This isn't about wanting a dome, it's about common sense.

T-Long
02-15-2010, 03:30 PM
No offense, T-Long, but anybody who would root for the Bills if they were not in Buffalo is not really a "Buffalo Bills" fan, but an NFL Bills fan. The passion between the two is totally different...and I would NEVER, ever root for the Bills franchise again if it was in another city.
I don't quite understand the difference. There are fans of NFL teams all over the country. So you are saying that if the Pittsburgh Steelers ever moved, then fans of theirs with no ties from Pittsburgh wouldn't root for them anymore? Just because I am not from Buffalo doesn't make me any less of a fan. Granted, they are not my hometown team, but that doesn't mean I like the team any less than someone who grew up a minute from the stadium. I feel like I am as die-hard as they come about the Bills, but if they moved north to Toronto, then yes I would still be a fan. Now, on the other hand, if they moved the team to LA, then things would be totally different to me.

PECKERWOOD
02-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Think about it...with the tough economic ways of the state currently, they will never build a stadium that would only be used for 8 events a year...doesn't make sense. The stadium would have to be a able to host multiple events throughout the year. This isn't about wanting a dome, it's about common sense.

I'm convinced.

:peace:

Michael82
02-15-2010, 03:48 PM
I vote no to a dome. First of all, you know why I hate domes, because we lose homefield advantage and the fun winter weather games. Plus my other reason is a legit one...it would cost a lot more to have a new stadium built with a dome than without one.

G Wolly
02-15-2010, 03:54 PM
I vote no to a dome. First of all, you know why I hate domes, because we lose homefield advantage and the fun winter weather games. Plus my other reason is a legit one...it would cost a lot more to have a new stadium built with a dome than without one.

But if it meant keeping the team here, I'd learn to deal with it.

psubills62
02-15-2010, 03:54 PM
It's expensive

So is building a new stadium. If you're going to put in a new one, it might be worth it to go to the expense of making it more of an up-to-date stadium.

clumping platelets
02-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Bring back the Rockpile!!

YardRat
02-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Wow....this is a landslide.

G Wolly
So is building a new stadium. If you're going to put in a new one, it might be worth it to go to the expense of making it more of an up-to-date stadium.

Unless the stadium building is funded by someone other than RW, the stadium will be made for as little money as he can get it to be.

Dr. Lecter

What other events could be held in a 60,000+ seat venue in this area?

Nighthawk
02-15-2010, 04:01 PM
I don't quite understand the difference. There are fans of NFL teams all over the country. So you are saying that if the Pittsburgh Steelers ever moved, then fans of theirs with no ties from Pittsburgh wouldn't root for them anymore? Just because I am not from Buffalo doesn't make me any less of a fan. Granted, they are not my hometown team, but that doesn't mean I like the team any less than someone who grew up a minute from the stadium. I feel like I am as die-hard as they come about the Bills, but if they moved north to Toronto, then yes I would still be a fan. Now, on the other hand, if they moved the team to LA, then things would be totally different to me.

I'm not saying you're less of a fan, you're just not a "Buffalo Bills" fan...you're an "NFL Bills" fan...it's totally different. You just saying that you would still support a team in Toronto if they moved from Buffalo backs up my point. Nobody from Buffalo would still support the Bills if they moved to Toronto. It's like having your wife leave you for your best friend, but saying it's OK. Just my opinion...like I've said, I know that you're a big Bills fan, but just not like the people who live here and have a special connection with the team. Unless you've lived it, then I can't explain it to you.

G Wolly
02-15-2010, 04:02 PM

Concerts?

Boxing/Wrestling?

Cirque du Soleil?

Public Execution?

Gladiator fights?

Nighthawk
02-15-2010, 04:03 PM

Car shows, basketball games, NCAA Final Four tourney games, outdoors/hunting conventions that are too large for the convention center...plenty of events.

Dr. Lecter
02-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Car shows, basketball games, NCAA Final Four tourney games, outdoors/hunting conventions that are too large for the convention center...plenty of events.

Buffalo will not get the NCAA final four. The area is too small and there is no infrastructure or hotels to hold the event. I question some of the others too because this area is too small, both in terms of population and wealth. E

Any new stadium creates a problem with things like luxury boxes. They will need to be more expensive and there is no corporate base in Buffalo to buy them.

G Wolly
02-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Or maybe a new stadium would be equipped the hold an MLB franchise too?

It would be rather pointless at this time to create a new MLB franchise in Buffalo but that would create sports revenue in the NFL offseason.

T-Long
02-15-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm not saying you're less of a fan, you're just not a "Buffalo Bills" fan...you're an "NFL Bills" fan...it's totally different. You just saying that you would still support a team in Toronto if they moved from Buffalo backs up my point. Nobody from Buffalo would still support the Bills if they moved to Toronto. It's like having your wife leave you for your best friend, but saying it's OK. Just my opinion...like I've said, I know that you're a big Bills fan, but just not like the people who live here and have a special connection with the team. Unless you've lived it, then I can't explain it to you.
I didn't know there was such a thing as an NFL Bills fan, but you can call me whatever you want. I highly doubt if a team leaves from any city that their fans would still root for them, but the NFL is a global business with fans all over the world. Just because I am not from Buffalo doesn't mean that I am not a Buffalo Bills fan. If they would move to Toronto so that they could survive in the NFL, then so be it. Do I want that to happen? Hell no. But I'm not going to feel bad by rooting for the team if they did indeed move for financial reasons. Like I said before, that is the last thing that I want to happen, but I think fans of the team with no ties to Buffalo could see where I am coming from. If I was from Buffalo (which my hometown was only 1 1/2 hours away in NE PA) then yes, I would not support the team if they left.

The comparison of my wife leaving me for my best friend and me being ok with it and the Bills leaving Buffalo is a ridiculous argument. I don't see any similarity between the two.

tampabay25690
02-15-2010, 04:21 PM
WOW tuff question......

I would probably go for no dome but if we had a dome we may get more of the PANSY fans to sit indoors......

justasportsfan
02-15-2010, 04:25 PM
you can get more revenue with a dome

THATHURMANATOR
02-15-2010, 04:30 PM
What is the point?

Do you seriously think they would open the roof for snow???? Come on...

THATHURMANATOR
02-15-2010, 04:32 PM
WOW tuff question......

I would probably go for no dome but if we had a dome we may get more of the PANSY fans to sit indoors......
So you would rather the team leaves.

Typ0
02-15-2010, 04:37 PM
What is the point?

Do you seriously think they would open the roof for snow???? Come on...

Even if they decided to close it during snow it would be open in the summer. Summers in NY are beautiful. They could also agree to leave the football team outside this way. Of they could just pick and choose when to open the roof.

tampabay25690
02-15-2010, 04:42 PM
So you would rather the team leaves.

Didnt say that..
To be honest what we say really means nothing anyway.

No I would never want to see the team leave......

Typ0
02-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Buffalo will not get the NCAA final four. The area is too small and there is no infrastructure or hotels to hold the event. I question some of the others too because this area is too small, both in terms of population and wealth. E

Any new stadium creates a problem with things like luxury boxes. They will need to be more expensive and there is no corporate base in Buffalo to buy them.

that is defeatest thinking. Might just as well close up shop in Buffalo and let everyone leave. You're right the way things are now they won't get the final four but they could get the tournament up until that time right now and the final four could come with some more improvements. It will never happen if the economy doesn't get the benefit of having a stadium though. If they were to build a stadium on the waterfront you telling me there won't be support for a great deal more hospitality? If Wilson was party to it there would already be feasibility studies in place and monies could be available for infrastructure improvements to head in that direction.

Cleveland has built stadiums and arena's and they host three of the four major sports ... how can they support MLB, NBA and NFL? Sure, their MSA is bigger however MSAs do not include the most populace part of Canada just over the NY border. Sitting around whining about how it can't be done isn't going to get anything done. Neither is clinging to RWS especially since the commish is already calling them out. He wants NYS to prove they are a viable market for the NFL.

Nighthawk
02-15-2010, 04:47 PM

Umm, I said Final Four tourney games and they've had that in the past, so you just assuming they wouldn't get more is just foolish.

Nighthawk
02-15-2010, 04:50 PM
I didn't know there was such a thing as an NFL Bills fan, but you can call me whatever you want. I highly doubt if a team leaves from any city that their fans would still root for them, but the NFL is a global business with fans all over the world. Just because I am not from Buffalo doesn't mean that I am not a Buffalo Bills fan. If they would move to Toronto so that they could survive in the NFL, then so be it. Do I want that to happen? Hell no. But I'm not going to feel bad by rooting for the team if they did indeed move for financial reasons. Like I said before, that is the last thing that I want to happen, but I think fans of the team with no ties to Buffalo could see where I am coming from. If I was from Buffalo (which my hometown was only 1 1/2 hours away in NE PA) then yes, I would not support the team if they left.

The comparison of my wife leaving me for my best friend and me being ok with it and the Bills leaving Buffalo is a ridiculous argument. I don't see any similarity between the two.

I'm sorry, but you don't get it because you can't or won't ever understand...it just is something you could never understand the feelings a person from the area feels regarding the team.

T-Long
02-15-2010, 05:11 PM
ladies and gentleman, we finally have a vote for the demise of the Bills. And the award goes to scartown

Night Train
02-15-2010, 05:22 PM

What events are being held in the Ralph this Winter & Spring ? It's basically empty 340 days a year.

I'm guessing a Dome could get a far better return but I still don't see it happening.

better days
02-15-2010, 05:36 PM

The wife leaving you for another man is a great comparison. That is how emotionaly invested the people from Buffalo are with the team. The Bills to you are more like a girlfriend you have had for about 6 months. If she leaves you not that big a deal. For us it would be like losing our wife. It would make no difference to us if they moved to Toronto or LA or Timbuctu, they would be DEAD to us.

T-Long
02-15-2010, 05:40 PM
The wife leaving you for another man is a great comparison. That is how emotionaly invested the people from Buffalo are with the team. The Bills to you are more like a girlfriend you have had for about 6 months. If she leaves you not that big a deal. For us it would be like losing our wife. It would make no difference to us if they moved to Toronto or LA or Timbuctu, they would be DEAD to us.
That is so untrue. Friends and family of mine know how diehard of a fan I am, I don't need to be from Buffalo to warrant that. I don't care what any of you from there say. You may have more of an emotional attachment just because that is your hometown, but that doesn't make you any bigger of a fan than the rest of us not from there. I said the only thing I would accept as a fan would be if they moved to Toronto due to financial hardships. I would no longer be a fan if they moved anywhere else. I don't see why that is so hard for people to understand.

better days
02-15-2010, 05:50 PM
That is so untrue. Friends and family of mine know how diehard of a fan I am, I don't need to be from Buffalo to warrant that. I don't care what any of you from there say. You may have more of an emotional attachment just because that is your hometown, but that doesn't make you any bigger of a fan than the rest of us not from there. I said the only thing I would accept as a fan would be if they moved to Toronto due to financial hardships. I would no longer be a fan if they moved anywhere else. I don't see why that is so hard for people to understand.

That is because you are NOT from Buffalo & as I said not as emotionally invested. NOBODY from Buffalo will root for the Bills if they move to any other city including Toronto. We root for the BUFFALO BILLS. If they move to Toronto they could be the Toronto Argos or whoever it would not matter.............They would no longer be the BUFFALO BILLS & would be DEAD to EVERYONE from Buffalo. If you don't believe me start a poll open to people from Buffalo only & ask if the Bills move to Toronto will you still root for them? I would be VERY surprised if you got even one yes vote.

T-Long
02-15-2010, 06:01 PM
That is because you are NOT from Buffalo & as I said not as emotionally invested. NOBODY from Buffalo will root for the Bills if they move to any other city including Toronto. We root for the BUFFALO BILLS. If they move to Toronto they could be the Toronto Argos or whoever it would not matter.............They would no longer be the BUFFALO BILLS & would be DEAD to EVERYONE from Buffalo. If you don't believe me start a poll open to people from Buffalo only & ask if the Bills move to Toronto will you still root for them? I would be VERY surprised if you got even one yes vote.
You are not reading my posts. I SAID that fans FROM Buffalo would NOT root for the team if they moved. I said that there are fans that are NOT from Buffalo that would still root for the team if they HAD to move to Toronto to stay afloat in the NFL.

If I grew up in Buffalo, I would be just like you and not root for them if they ever left. But the problem is there are more fans out there that would understand the move if it were to be made, and still root on the team. IF they moved to LA or any other town other than Toronto, then I would not root for them.

Even if the team did move, wouldn't there be an expansion franchise there like Cleveland did a few years ago?

kelly2reed4six
02-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Ok...the 1 person who voted "good bye bills" you can go burn in hell because you are NOT real fan!

superbills
02-15-2010, 06:33 PM
ladies and gentleman, we finally have a vote for the demise of the Bills. And the award goes to scartown

:banned:

scartown
02-15-2010, 06:47 PM

:busted:

I was just trying to make this silly poll more interesting. :)

Dr. Lecter
02-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Umm, I said Final Four tourney games and they've had that in the past, so you just assuming they wouldn't get more is just foolish.

While on the subject of foolish, they have had first and second round games in the NCAA tourney. They have not had Final 4 games. The NCAA holds those games in different venues . The first and second games could be held at HSBC. An indoor stadium would be used for the final 4 games. And for those games, Buffalo does not have the capabilities as a city to host that event.

better days
02-15-2010, 07:04 PM
You are not reading my posts. I SAID that fans FROM Buffalo would NOT root for the team if they moved. I said that there are fans that are NOT from Buffalo that would still root for the team if they HAD to move to Toronto to stay afloat in the NFL.

If I grew up in Buffalo, I would be just like you and not root for them if they ever left. But the problem is there are more fans out there that would understand the move if it were to be made, and still root on the team. IF they moved to LA or any other town other than Toronto, then I would not root for them.

Even if the team did move, wouldn't there be an expansion franchise there like Cleveland did a few years ago?

The Bills are not the Dallas Cowboys. Maybe 5% of all Bills fans have never lived in Buffalo or the surrounding area. If you wanted to continue to root for them if they moved that is your choice. The other 95% no longer would. I stopped watching the NBA the day the Braves moved from Buffalo.

JCBills
02-15-2010, 07:07 PM

They should implode the old grain mills and use the vacant land in the area and build there. Pump life into the city, it would easily work, and with that brings new hotels as well as smaller businesses that would then be able to go up in that area.

Lipsitz Green, Rich's, D North will buy boxes, plus a few others are sure to.

The new stadium could also hold UB and Buff State sporting events.

Typ0
02-15-2010, 07:13 PM
While on the subject of foolish, they have had first and second round games in the NCAA tourney. They have not had Final 4 games. The NCAA holds those games in different venues . The first and second games could be held at HSBC. An indoor stadium would be used for the final 4 games. And for those games, Buffalo does not have the capabilities as a city to host that event.

I agree about the confusion about the regular post. The final four is the final four not anything else. But third round games are consistently held in Syracuse. I agree Buffalo is not able to host the event right now but they are not far off. What they need can be built. If anyone has any motivation to clean up Buffalo and make it into the beautiful city it should be ever again they are going to have to do something other than whine about how it can't be done.

Nighthawk
02-15-2010, 07:30 PM
There aren't enough people with a vision in this community, too many people who just complain about the city and what it CAN'T be instead of what it COULD be. Now we know why this place is the way it is...

PECKERWOOD
02-15-2010, 07:52 PM
There aren't enough people with a vision in this community, too many people who just complain about the city and what it CAN'T be instead of what it COULD be. Now we know why this place is the way it is...
Everybody is fleeing NYS because of taxes, the government certainly needs to act as part of the solution by making the state more livable. It doesn't help that those in WNY get taxed to hell, only to see their money being spent on the city slickers. We pay poll taxes to drive on highways full of potholes, it's ridiculous.

Typ0
02-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Too many people listening to Ralph Wilson that's for sure.

Nighthawk
02-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Everybody is fleeing NYS because of taxes, the government certainly needs to act as part of the solution by making the state more livable. It doesn't help that those in WNY get taxed to hell, only to see their money being spent on the city slickers. We pay poll taxes to drive on highways full of potholes, it's ridiculous.

This is very true, but too many people believe it can't be changed...everything can change...that is just life...things change in the blink of an eye.

Cleve
02-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Why is this poll so ****ed-up? Domed stadium or no Bills? Why isn't it "domed stadium or open stadium?"

Remember, the Patriots built their new stadium, Gillette a few years back, as an OPEN one. I don't think Buffalo has to build a domed stadium to keep the Bills (though it would be nice).

Cleve
02-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Wow....this is a landslide.

Yeah, but this poll is really dumb. It would probably be a landslide for warts if Thurmanator had posted a poll for giving us the choice "small wart on elbow or No more Buffalo Bills".

Jan Reimers
02-16-2010, 08:10 AM
I don't really like domes, but I'd certainly take one if it kept the Bills in Buffalo.

THATHURMANATOR
02-16-2010, 08:19 AM
No it is an EXACT comparison. Bills moving to Toronto would be like my Fiance dumping me for my big brother. I would hate both for the rest of my life.

Mike in Syracuse
02-16-2010, 08:31 AM
The Bills aren't build a dome. Erie county is not building a dome. A dome is not going to happen in Buffalo. Where exactly would the exorbitant amount of money that a new dome is going cost come from?

If the Bills move indoors, they might as well move.

THATHURMANATOR
02-16-2010, 08:45 AM
The Bills aren't build a dome. Erie county is not building a dome. A dome is not going to happen in Buffalo. Where exactly would the exorbitant amount of money that a new dome is going cost come from?

If the Bills move indoors, they might as well move.
Building any stadium in this economy and market is surely a longshot. IF one were to be built though it would be a dome. It only makes sense.

You wanted the team to move because of that is idiotic.

Coach Sal
02-16-2010, 08:56 AM

No way.

If the Bills ever left Buffalo, the NFL would never grant it another franchise.

That's why it's so important to keep THIS team in Buffalo. Forever.

Coach Sal
02-16-2010, 09:09 AM

I don't think anyone's questioning your fandom.

But as I've also said many times before, and it's true, most Bills fans are actually BUFFALO fans. We love everything about Buffalo, and we root for anyone and everything from the area.

The Bills are the biggest and most identifiable name the city has. If it weren't for the Bills, "Buffalo" would be just another small city in the US. The Bills give Buffalo relevancy. They give people an identity. Most of us who are from Buffalo carry that identity proudly. "Bills Fan" and "From Buffalo" are two different terms of themselves. But they are one in the same for almost anyone who grew up in Buffalo. So, without the label "Buffalo" in front of the Bills, they would mean nothing to so many of us, and in fact, would represent just the opposite - a death of much of our own identity.

It is not a question of how much of a fan of the Bills anyone is. It's a statement on how much Buffalo means to people and how much we love our city and want it to be recognized and relevant and talked about in a positive mannor. That's whe Buffalonians get so sensitive when national media (sports or anyone) talk bad about our city (or the Bills). We take it personally. Buffalo is what we are. And the Bills are part of Buffalo first.....the NFL second (in our minds and hearts).

The above is very, very hard to explain to anyone who is not from WNY. Because it's weird to most people. It's kind of corny, even. I admit that. But it's true. So I tried my best to do it.

THATHURMANATOR
02-16-2010, 09:16 AM

But as I've also said many times before, and it's true, most Bills fans are actually BUFFALO fans. We love everything about Buffalo, and we root for anyone and everything from the area.

The Bills are the biggest and most identifiable name the city has. If it weren't for the Bills, "Buffalo" would be just another small city in the US. The Bills give Buffalo relevancy. They give people an identity. Most of us who are from Buffalo carry that identity proudly. "Bills Fan" and "From Buffalo" are two different terms of themselves. But they are one in the same for almost anyone who grew up in Buffalo. So, without the label "Buffalo" in front of the Bills, they would mean nothing to so many of us, and in fact, would represent just the opposite - a death of much of our own identity.

It is not a question of how much of a fan of the Bills anyone is. It's a statement on how much Buffalo means to people and how much we love our city and want it to be recognized and relevant and talked about in a positive mannor. That's whe Buffalonians get so sensitive when national media (sports or anyone) talk bad about our city (or the Bills). We take it personally. Buffalo is what we are. And the Bills are part of Buffalo first.....the NFL second (in our minds and hearts).

The above is very, very hard to explain to anyone who is not from WNY. Because it's weird to most people. It's kind of corny, even. I admit that. But it's true. So I tried my best to do it.
Perfect explanation.

BillsFanCupp38
02-16-2010, 01:48 PM
I have always thought about it. If we had a dome would Buffalo ever host a super bowl?

G Wolly
02-16-2010, 02:08 PM
I have always thought about it. If we had a dome would Buffalo ever host a super bowl?

I'm sure it would be a top contender. What with the fans in the Toronto area and what not.

Michael82
02-16-2010, 02:41 PM

Excellent post, Sal! I'm not in Buffalo, but close enough and I completely agree. :bf1:

Michael82
02-16-2010, 02:43 PM

No chance in hell. There's not enough hotels and/or places for people to stay during Super Bowl week. I don't see it happening.

Cntrygal
02-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Gotta start somewhere though....