PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here use the Faulk strategy?

lordofgun
06-06-2003, 09:15 AM
I usualy try for two RBs right off the bat, but it's hard for me to grab a third right away in the third round when it always seems there are better players at other positions.

In the Trenches: The Faulk Strategy
May 29, 2003
By Michael Fabiano
Commissioner.COM Fantasy Writer
Tell Michael your opinion!

Fantasy owners are always looking for an edge, that one advantage that will aid them in assembling a championship-caliber team on Draft Day. You can bring updated depth charts, player rankings, cheat sheets for miles and an assortment of good luck charms. But nothing is more vital to the success of a draft than having a solid blueprint.

Welcome to the Faulk Strategy.

Named after St. Louis running back Marshall Faulk, this strategy's basic premise requires owners to select three running backs in the first three rounds. It also requires owners to select a quarterback or wide receiver in Round 4, depending on the flow of the draft, and a quality tight end by the end of Round 7. The Faulk strategy also suggests filling out all skill positions before selecting a kicker or defense, neither of which should be taken until the final two rounds. Because there are so many good kickers in the league, there's no reason to waste an earlier pick on the position. And unless you grab the Buccaneers defense, the difference in many of these units is minimal from a Fantasy perspective.

Marshall Faulk (Getty Images)
Faulk was once head and shoulders more valuable than any player in Fantasy Football, and drafting him was almost a guaranteed ticket to the playoffs. My thinking in constructing the early-round guidelines of this strategy was simple: If I wasn't lucky enough to draft Faulk, I was going to do everything possible to guarantee consistent production from my backfield. Selecting three No. 1 running backs not only gave me better depth at the position than most owners, it also gave me a chance to play matchups and counter the owner that selected Faulk. Considering the value of running backs, it also gave me great leverage for making trades during the regular season.

What makes this strategy such a success is that it enables owners to gain depth at the most vital position without sacrificing overall team balance. The number of quality quarterbacks and wide receivers has grown in recent years, and the increasing popularity of the Faulk strategy ellivates the level of solid non-running backs available after Round 4.

I've outlined the major guidelines owners should follow to ensure the highest level of success on Draft Day. In order to gain a better understanding of the players available per round, I've also included my own round-by-round selections from the Gridiron Guru League and Krause Publications League drafts.

Faulk Strategy guidelines
Rounds 1-3

The most vital guideline to the Faulk strategy is selecting three running backs in the first three rounds. Not only does the running back position lack great depth, but it is also the skill position where the most injuries are suffered. A total of 10 starting running backs missed at least two games last season, while another six missed one. Running backs will go flying off the board in Rounds 1-3, so any failure to follow this strategy early can result in a very undesirable starting backfield for Fantasy owners.

GGL: Marshall Faulk (Round 1), William Green (Round 2), Corey Dillon (Round 3)

KPL: Priest Holmes (Round 1), Trung Canidate (Round 2), Kevan Barlow (Round 3)

Rounds 4-7

Depending on the flow of your draft, selecting a quarterback or wide receiver in Round 4 is advised. It isn't completely out of the question to grab a fourth starting running back here if one should slip through the cracks, especially if you play in a league that requires a "flex" player. Be sure to examine the number of quality quarterbacks and wide receivers each round to determine your next selection. If you feel the depth at a certain position is beginning to decrease, it's a good idea to start thinking about grabbing a player from that position. Selecting a quality tight end is also advised in these rounds, because having a productive tight end is like having an extra wide receiver in your starting lineup.

GGL: Rod Gardner (Round 4), Jerry Rice (Round 5), Bubba Franks (Round 6), Jeff Garcia (Round 7)

KPL: Amos Zereoue (Round 4), Jeff Garcia (Round 5), Chris Chambers (Round 6), Bubba Franks (Round 7)

Rounds 8-12

Following Faulk Strategy guidelines, owners should have at least one quarterback, three running backs, two wide receivers and one tight end entering Round 8. It is during this phase of the draft that owners should look to add depth to their rosters, mostly in the form of wide receivers. Owners should also consider taking a chance on another running back during these rounds, especially if one of the tailbacks selected in the early rounds has been prone to injuries. Looking for potential sleepers and a backup quarterback is also advised.

GGL: Kurt Warner (Round 8), Tai Streets (Round 9), Curtis Conway (Round 10), Emmitt Smith (Round 11), Lamar Gordon (Round 12)

KPL: Ed McCaffrey (Round 8), Joey Galloway (Round 9), Corey Bradford (Round 10), Marc Boerigter (Round 11), DeShaun Foster (Round 12)

Rounds 13-16

Owners should take a chance on a few more sleepers before grabbing a kicker and defense in the final two rounds.

GGL: Kevin Johnson (Round 13), Dwayne Carswell (Round 14), Falcons defense (Round 15), Jeff Reed (Round 16)

KPL: Kelly Holcomb (Round 13), Morten Andersen (Round 14), Raiders defense (Round 15)

Gunzlingr
06-06-2003, 11:21 AM
I did this last year. It panned out well in most of my leagues. I picked 11th out of 12 teams in most of them.

Earthquake Enyart
06-06-2003, 11:47 AM
A lot of it depends on how your league scores.

Most people are on to the draft RB's early, so if you draft late go get Moss, Owens, or Harrison. Look hard for RB sleepers to grab later.