X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Edwards taking 3-4 task head on

A respectable contingent of Bills fans has lobbied for some time to change the team’s defensive scheme from a 4-3 to a 3-4 alignment. Now it appears that group of fans has gotten its wish. Saying it and doing it however, are two very different things, but the man entrusted with making the change work is fully committed.

Defensive coordinator George Edwards has been a part of defensive transitions in the past. He knows the kind of challenge he’s undertaking.

• DMBcrew36
    • Feb 2005

Re: Edwards taking 3-4 task head on

When I see Edwards in the title, I immediately think Trent Edwards... and then I think... "You're dead to me."

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

“We will play aggressive, attacking defense, so that’s what we’ll be looking to do,” Edwards said. “Right now as we go through the evaluation phase, that’s what we’ll be looking for. We want smart, tough, physical football players. We want to be physical and we want to be aggressive.”
      love the sound of that. Hope it happens.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• The Spaz
        • Mar 2003

Further info on 3-4 switch

Appearing on the Shredd and Ragan show on 103.3 The Edge, Chan Gailey shared some of his reasons why he and his defensive staff elected to move to a 3-4 alignment.

“First, it allows you to get an edge rusher very quickly off the back side and he may get locked up with a back or a tight end from time to time, which is a great matchup for you (as a defense),” said Gailey. “The other thing that it does is it puts more linebackers in your whole scheme and it improves your special teams a result.

“The third thing it does, and we were sitting in offensive meetings all day, and facing that you’re concerned about who is coming and who is not coming and make sure you protect all those seven guys. When you have three linebackers stacked behind the line it’s a little easier to determine who is coming and who is not coming.”

As Gailey said himself when he was introduced as the new head coach of the Bills, the reason he was more open to a 3-4 defense as a head coach than he had been in the past is because of the problems it has posed to him over the years as an offensive play caller.

Comment

Working...
        X